PDA

View Full Version : suggestion to detect the jiggle movement

shalee21
05-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi,
I am looking for a cheaper mechanics to detect the action when we are tilting down and jiggling the salt shaker. The action only be recognized when a container is tilted down AND shaking. Here are some possibilities that I can think of, but not sure which is the best solution. Anyone can give me some suggestions? Any other cheap mechanics that you can think of?

1. a tilt sensor + motion sensor
2. a tilt sensor + vibration sensor
3. 3-axis accelerometer

Thank you very much in advance.
Elisa.

Alex
05-22-2007, 03:59 PM
I'd say the 3-axis accelerometer. It's not the cheapest, but it will give you the tilt and rate of acceleration all in one module:D

Good luck!

tina ryan
12-13-2007, 12:15 AM
it's too expensive, any other?>, I have the same problem, maybe someone else know other cheaper

Tymtravler
12-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Two questions
1. Do you need to measure the amount of jiggle?
2. Or do you just need to know when it is tilted and jiggling?

I have a suggestion for using a mercury switch, but I need more info on what you are doing to see if it will work.

Tymtravler

Matt
12-14-2007, 04:26 PM
A mercury switch is a good idea because it would flicker on and off during shaking which is easy to detect. Or one could use a tilt switch made with a metal ball for safety. Mercury on your fries isn't that great :)

kdwyer
12-15-2007, 06:36 AM
Is detection of jiggling necessary, or ensuring jiggling? Not sure which would be easier, but sometimes approaching the problem from a different direction can help.
For ensuring a jiggle, maybe a jittery servo could do the trick!
(Always looking for the easy way out!)