PDA

View Full Version : Interface Kit memory leaks?

Vaughn
07-07-2007, 12:35 PM
I am running the VB6 source code for the 8/8/8 interface kit. It runs for about 2-3 days before the memory consumption brings the machine down.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Vaughn

Alex
07-09-2007, 09:46 AM
I haven't heard of any memory leaks with Phidgets before, but then again I haven't heard of anyone running a VB6 Phidgets project before (EDIT: Sorry, I meant running a VB6 Project for that long);) I've built many Phidgets projects using VB.NET 2003, VB.NET 2005 and C# 2005, all of which I've had running for around 8-10hrs max.

Are you using your own code, or a non-modified example program from Phidgets? Also, what are the specs of your computer?

Vaughn
07-23-2007, 10:20 AM
I am using a modified version of the code. Since I run my house off of it, to test the unmodified version, it will gimp my house. I will do that though so I can properly identify the problem, just explaining why it has taken me so long =)

I really hope that it is something minor because 8-10 hours is an irrelevantly short period of time for applications like home automation. I would hope that the app would remain stable for 30 days +.

I hope to get that testing done this week. If you all have a test machine machine, it might be nice to just start your sample apps and let them run in your controlled environment and see how long they last. I sure hope it is not a problem in the Library itself!

Thanks!
Vaughn
www.vCrib.com (http://www.vCrib.com)

Alex
07-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Sounds good Vaughn, keep us posted. Phidgets is also looking into this as well.

Vaughn
07-24-2007, 11:20 AM
You guys are cool. I wish I would have joined this community when I first started working with your products. =)

Vaughn

Alex
07-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Find anything out Vaughn? I haven't heard back from Phidgets yet.

Vaughn
08-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Last night I shut down my version and started the unmodified version and recorded size and time. I will check it again tonight (24-hour test) and see. I really can't afford to leave those sensors offline too long, so I hope 24-hours will yeild some usuable results.

Were you guys able to run the interface_controller.exe there for any length of time?

Vaughn

fitchett
08-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Hello Vaughn,

I'll set up a test and leave it running over the weekend.

Chester Fitchett
Phidgets Inc.

Alex
08-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Hey Vaughn,

I'm going to compile the latest intefacekit-Controller.vpb file from Phidgets.com into an .exe and run it from now till tomorrow afternoon. I'll get back to you with memory consumption on a per hour basis (except for overnight).

Alex
08-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Hey Vaughn,

I'm going to be gone tomorrow and over the weekend, but I'll leave it running the entire time. Hopefully we don't get a power outage or anything:).

Anyways, here are my results of running the latest interfacekit_controller.exe downloaded from Phidgets.com (using library version 2.1.1.0) since 1:28pm on 8/22. I haven't modified the program in any way, and am manually taking readings of a memory usage monitor every so often.

8/22

1:28pm (startup) - 6.48MB
2:54pm - 2.60MB
4:34pm - 2.29MB

8/23
8:14am - 3.03MB (this is when I woke my computer up from sleep)
9:22am - 2.05MB
10:31am - 2.06MB

Somewhere here, I accidentally unplugged the USB and had it unplugged for a while, but still had the application running. I plugged the USB back in a few minutes before the time below, waited a few moments and recorded the time and memory.

1:36pm - 2.59MB
2:46pm - 3.54MB
3:16pm - 3.55MB

Like I said, I'll be away from my desk tomorrow and over the weekend, so the next check will be Monday when I return. When I return, I'll edit this post with the updates.

I hope at least some of this data helps you out.

Alex
08-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Hey Vaughn,

I figured that I should just create a new post, since you're probably subscribed to this thread.

I left the program running all day Friday and over the entire weekend. I just came in now and checked the memory usage of the program.

8/27

8:25am - 2.45MB

So, with all of these tests that I have performed I have to say that it doesn't look like the Phidget Library files contain any memory leaks, at least the Interface Kit class and the base Phidget class, which all Phidget classes inherit.

Hopefully all of this data will help you in tracking down where the memory leak is coming from.

EDIT: I'm going to shut down the program now. The last reading I took was:

8/28
9:44am - 2.85MB

Vaughn
08-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Ok. I really appriciate the efforts as I have had so much time problems myself. I just got off of a 94-hour week at work, night shift none-the-less.

I guess I will start back at the base code and just put in one piece at a time and see if I can find out what is going on. I know my coding is not beyond memory leaks, but I really did not add much and nothing I haven't added to all my other supporting apps.

That is good news though, my bigger concern was the parts that I can't get to, and since the library is ok, I am sure I can get the client stable. Two of my vCrib testers have been wanting to add the Phidgets for contact monitoring and it looks like they can go ahead.

I will post an update when I find out what I did wrong.

Thanks again, you guys are great support.
Vaughn

Alex
08-29-2007, 12:45 PM
I just got off of a 94-hour week at work, night shift none-the-less.

Ouch!

Good luck finding that leak, and if we can help out in any way, please let us know!

Keep us posted:D

cmmguy
09-04-2007, 09:26 PM
I used a 0/0/4 interface to control an industrial stack light on an inspection robot. The app is vb6 and runs continuously 24x7. There is no user interface. It simply runs in the background. It never has caused any computer problems. The code is based on one of the phidget examples for controlling the interface.

Running on XP