PDA

View Full Version : Phidgets 8/8/8 Output problems

elcray
08-13-2007, 09:53 AM
For some reason I can't seem to get my outputs on my 8/8/8 to work. I've tested each output with a simple LED (I've tested the LED with a battery and it works fine). I don't have my meter with me tonight, but I suspect it isn't swtiching high. I've used both my code and the sample code....not working. One leg of the LED is wired to G and the other leg to an output.

The Analog and Digital inputs work fine, but no outputs.

Am I doing something wrong?

Josh

Alex
08-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Hi Josh,

Are you sure you have the LED connected correctly? The Cathode (shorter lead) needs to be connected to the ground, else it won't work. No worries, I forget about that almost everytime:)

If that doesn't work, do happen to have a voltmeter handy?

elcray
08-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi Josh,

Are you sure you have the LED connected correctly? The Cathode (shorter lead) needs to be connected to the ground, else it won't work. No worries, I forget about that almost everytime:)

If that doesn't work, do you happen to have a voltmeter handy?

I'll try my meter over lunch today. I'm assuming I simply touch the (-) lead to ground and the (+) lead to the output; looking for the output to switch to high (5vdc) when the ouput is on?

I will say that I wired up a computer fan to the output just like referenced on the phidgets web page, with no luck either. So, if I get no results from the meter, what is the process to diagnose where it is a hardware or software issue?

Josh

Alex
08-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Yes, that's exactly how to test the outputs:D If you are testing the screw heads on the terminal block, be sure that they are screwed in all the way to get a good connection.

Occasionally a bad board will make it's way through production, so if there is a hardware problem with the digital outputs on your 8/8/8 then we'll replace it no worries. We'll probably have you send the board in so that we can test it in house and replace it if necessary.

One thing though, you said that you tested the digital and analog inputs though and they worked fine. Did you test them on the same machine that you're testing the digital outputs?

elcray
08-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Yes, that's exactly how to test the outputs:D If you are testing the screw heads on the terminal block, be sure that they are screwed in all the way to get a good connection.

Occasionally a bad board will make it's way through production, so if there is a hardware problem with the digital outputs on your 8/8/8 then we'll replace it no worries. We'll probably have you send the board in so that we can test it in house and replace it if necessary.

One thing though, you said that you tested the digital and analog inputs though and they worked fine. Did you test them on the same machine that you're testing the digital outputs?

I evidently had some bad LED's (or out of range). I went to Radio-Hut over lunch and bought some replacements, and the LED's fire. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the response,

Josh

Alex
08-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Hey no trouble at all Josh! Glad to hear it was just the LED's.

In regards to your email you sent to me though: how are you controlling a smoker with the 8/8/8?