PDA

View Full Version : [Contest Entry] Entry #3: Home Security/Automation

Vaughn
08-20-2007, 12:07 AM
http://www.trossenrobotics.com/images/forums/1st-Place.jpg

The Virtual Crib home automation system

vCrib is a complete home automation system, which utilizes the 8/8/8 (or 0/16/16) for wired sensors and relays. You just set the Primary Address field of Devices in vCrib to AI0 - AI7 for analog inputs, DI0 - DI7 for digital inputs and DO0 - DO7 for digital outputs. When you load the Phidget application, it selects infomation on each device based on its address and maps them to the physical connectors on the Phidget interface. When a connector changes states, a simple entry is made in the Event_Queue in vCrib and vCrib processes it like any other events. The Phidget application also polls the Command_Queue for any commands and will set the Digital Outputs accordingly.

Magnetic switches are used on doors and my mailbox. Relays are used to control the front door strike and alarm strobe. Digital pressure pads are used under a rug outside the bathroom and the carpet at the bottom and top of the stairs to activate lighting. Phidgets temperature and light sensors are used in the computer lab, more to be added later. I am also experimenting with the Phidget vibration sensor mounted to the floor of my entry way for occupancy detection.

At different points I have used the Phidget boards to interface and control: Servos to adjust mini-blinds, baffels in the air ducts, internal locks (made out of gate parts), simple halloween props. I have used the relays on my alarm strobes, door strikes and magnetic locks. Unfortunately I only have 1 interface board, so some projects get recycled after prototyping to free ports and the blinds got taken down because I had no way to properly run the wiring. So I can't show everything that is possible with the existing system.

I have many videos at www.youtube.com/ver0776 (http://www.youtube.com/ver0776) although none are Phidget oriented. I ran out of time this weekend, but will try to make a demo of the interaction between the Phidget boards and vCrib if I get time. If there are any particular parts you would like to see, let me know. At worst I can get more screenshots or pictures.

Vaughn

Alex
08-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Great stuff! No worries about the videos not being Phidget oriented. Of course we'd prefer our products being used, but that's not what this contest is about.

Thanks for the submission:)

jim-locksmith
01-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Really very useful information .Thanks for sharing it

Vaughn
03-02-2010, 06:12 AM
In the time since I posted the project here, I rewrote all the Phidget interfaces using the new .NET sample code. I would gladly give out the source, but don't think I can publish it due to the copyrights in the Phidget sample code.

I never followed up on communicating with the home office in Canada to see if they would allow it.

I sadly abandoned most of my robotics projects, but just started a new project that I think my be pretty unique, but based on the vCrib software & Phidgets. I am hoping to maybe blog about it here, at least I will get some how-to posts up.

I really miss this place and these projects. I am poor now though and can't afford hardware anymore... I have to make do with the toys I have or that get donated through vCrib. Someday I will interface a humanoid robot with the home automation system... This economy has not been easy on a guy like me, but I think I am finding ways to make projects no matter how bad things are.

Hope to be back soon...

Vaughn
www.vCrib.com (http://www.vCrib.com)