PDA

View Full Version : Speecys SPC-101C

cdraptor
09-01-2007, 03:56 PM
There is a new Humanoid that was just release in Japan. The company is Speecys Corp who was stared by founder and CEO Tomoaki Kasuga. Before starting Speecys, Tomoaki was on the Sony team working on the AIBO for 2 years. This humanoid is different than most of the humanoids currently on the market, it's focus is more toward software developers and end consumers than the hardcore robotic hobbyist. It's a fully encased humanoid with a ton of existing features - WiFi, stereo speakers, video camera and LEDs in the Chest and Hands. These LEDs are useful for text or emoticons to enhance the expression and communication of the robot.

I have some videos of SPC-101C (formerly MIRAI-RT) up on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RxDTxDTTL

There is also a video of the Press Release: http://www.planetspeecys.com/speecys/101C-demo1.wmv

Anyway hope you enjoy, I will keep everyone posted with what's coming up. Speecys is currently working hard on bringing the SPC-101C to the US.

Alex
09-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Ok, even though I don't understand a word in that YouTube video, that robot is freakin sick man!! I want one:D

Being as feature packed as that robot is though, I wonder how much they'll be asking...

Either way, thanks for the heads up, and please do keep us posted!

Dave
09-04-2007, 02:45 PM
I like the LED display hidden behind the chest plate, and the LED's on the appendages. That's a cool way to make the bot more expressive.

Specifications:
Height: 33cm / 13 in
Weight: 1.5kg / 3.3lbs
DOF: 22
Audio: 2 Speaker Stereo
Video: coming soon
Display: 105 LEDs on Hands & Chest
Central Controller: Futaba RPU-50 CPU
Servos: Futaba RS301CR Servos
Power: LiPo Battery 7.4V 780mAh or AC Adpater
Network: Wireless LAN.IEEE802.11G (USB)

Very impressive. Also, it's using the same servos as Futaba's RBT-1 (Well, RBT-1's lower body anyway):

RS301CR Servos
Dimensions: 1.4" x 0.76 x 0.98" (36.8 x 19.5 x 25mm)
Weight: 0.99oz (28g)
Maximum Torque: 7.1kg-cm (98.6 oz-in)
Maximum Speed: 0.11 sec/60°
Supply Voltage: 7.4V DC
Operation Angle Range: 300°
RS485 Serial Communication: Maximum speed 460kbps

I want one.

Droid Works
09-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Hey, cdraptor
I wont be home till after 8pm eastern time today, but I got some good news give a call if you get a chance.

cdraptor
09-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Droid Works

Sorry I didn't see this until today, I will call you when I get back home on Sunday.

As for the SPC-101C the current pricing in Japan is $2,800 - but Speecys is working on the build and pricing to target into the $800, it's not likely to be the same bot, but they are working to keep many of these same features and such.

Alex
09-10-2007, 09:00 AM
:eek:

$800 is an incredible target. Hopefully you get most of the features, or at least allow ways to add them on as accessories.

Thanks - I can't wait to check this bot out!

Alex
09-10-2007, 11:48 AM
It also looks like Lem checked it out first hand:

http://www.robots-dreams.com/2007/09/speecys-spc-101.html

First in a series of more to come!

Here's the video. I love the dance moves at the end! Priceless:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C0Bl96UKHc

cdraptor
09-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Yeah, Lem was very excited about the SPC-101C and even more so by the evolution of the robot concepts that the SPC-101C is bringing to market. Actually I had a great talk with Matt and we're both excited about the integration of robotics and computers. I am glad I could help Tomoaki and Lem connect since Lem is over there in Japan he can provide us with some great information so keep an eye out on robots-dreams I think you'll be seeing much more on the SPC-101C. Speecys is working very hard on the designs of a model that is in a lower price bracket, but in comparison to other robots with the features the SPC-101C is pretty good deal at $2,800.

Alex
09-12-2007, 09:01 AM
[...] in comparison to other robots with the features the SPC-101C is pretty good deal at $2,800.

In comparison with other humanoids on the market I definitely agree with you, this is an awesome deal:D

I'd just like to see cost of humanoids to the consumer go the other way (down) but I know that won't happen, except for the smaller, more commercial robots like ISobot (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/tomy-i-sobot.aspx):) Being as small of market as the humanoid market is right now, there is a tremendous cost for R & D, manufacturing, not to mention the expensive pre-made parts such as the servos, that unfortunately all have to be passed along to the consumer. The price for humanoids is probably only going to go up at this point because there's so much more features that humanoids can have that companies will attempt to make.

All that aside, I'm stoked to hear what Lem has to say about the SPC-101C!!! This robot sounds so promising. I really hope there is going to be English documentation and software available.

Alex
09-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Look, it laughs! This is an absolute riot!! I soo freakin want one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLIbKeqFLck

From Lem's latest post (http://www.robots-dreams.com/2007/09/a-little-differ.html)

cdraptor
09-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Alex

It will have English documentation, I am working together with Tomoaki to help the process along. I'll be looking to get the documents translated soon. I have an SPC-101C here at my local FedEx in the clearance delay I guess as custom is trying to figure out what I am getting from Japan. I hope it shows up tomorrow I am talking to some people in Philadelphia about a sit down to help me translate manuals. I think it will not be long ad I am going to have to start learning Japanese.

As for the comparison I think the closest robot coming out is the Aldebaran NAO - no that was mentioned in a video coming out around $4,500. Check out RobuDog another computer like features - WiFi, Cam, etc - $4,300 or so. The SPC-101C is cheap in comparison.

Alex
09-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Sweet!! It's great news to hear that you're working on the translation personally:D

Any comments on how most of the videos show a tether on the robot? I'm guessing that it's demonstrating a slave controller (RPU-50?) that needs to communicate with a computer. How does the wireless come into play?

cdraptor
09-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Well, I will have more information, pictures and videos sometime tomorrow morning when FedEx arrives. I would have had the robot sooner if I called FedEx earlier, had to provide some info with getting a package from Japan.

Anyway stay tuned for some posts tomorrow.

cdraptor
09-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Dam FedEx, well they didn't process things with the import identification so the bot didn't leave Indiana until late last night, so now I am stuck waiting until Monday.

lnielsen
02-15-2008, 10:28 AM
How is the documentation translation going? I found a manual for the FS301CR/302CD but it was in Japanese. I am interested in the command set for these servos

asbrandsson
02-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Hello,

If it had grippers I would buy it. It seems to me that it is running everything off of the PC, I wonder if they are going to make a more autonomous version for market.

Asbrandsson

LinuxGuy
03-23-2008, 07:09 PM
If it had grippers I would buy it. It seems to me that it is running everything off of the PC, I wonder if they are going to make a more autonomous version for market.
The autonomous operation should just be a matter of additional programming. If this bot is truly meant for development as well as consumer use, then there should be complete open access to the bot's hardware, including sensors and the camera, for programming. It would not surprise me, assuming for now that the hardware design will be open also, that it would be possible to replace the end effectors with grippers.

8-Dale

asbrandsson
03-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Dam FedEx, well they didn't process things with the import identification so the bot didn't leave Indiana until late last night, so now I am stuck waiting until Monday.
Hello,

Well lets hear a little update - is this robot worth the money for it?

Asbrandsson