PDA

View Full Version : Speecys SPC-101 First Update

cdraptor
09-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Well I got the SPC-101C today and spent a good amount of time trying to figure out enough from the manuals (in Japanese - which I don't read). I actually figured out a good bit with the diagrams and such. The worst was getting it to connect to the wireless - I won't go into details because they very likely may change some when it's released here in the US. To start off here are some unboxing pics.

http://www.planetspeecys.com/chuck/thebox.jpg

http://www.planetspeecys.com/chuck/openbox.jpg

http://www.planetspeecys.com/chuck/Unboxed2.jpg

Now for some info. It's fully assembled with full body casing, The SPC has a video camera and you can in the above picture it has a video reciever - I hooked it up to the big screen for now, as soon as it was on the picture was coming up - it's much clearer than the little swan camera I bought and the reception was alot better. It has a battery (which is the same that is in my Futaba RBT-1 so that is nice) and it comes with AC Power Adapter. You don't even need the battery in, you can just plug it into AC power and turn it on and it boots up - very cool feature if you want to setup the SPC-101C for some security with the vid cam or have it checking data from the web - right by the foot you can see a USB WiFi adapter which fits nicely into the back. One funny note on the AC Power is where you plug him in which is his lower backside.

I installed and ran the MIRAI-VCE control application which you connect from the application through the web and you can send commands with the arrows on the app to move forward/backward/turn left/turn right - there were some pre-programmed in demos which you can see on the existing video, including the very cool hysterical laughing routine.

Next day or so and I will be playing with the motion editor, I am getting some translation done on the buttons so I know what the heck I am setting, the servo control adjusting and 3D representation can be used for moving for poses - It actually is very similar to the Futaba RBT-1 motion editor, not overly surprising the SPC-101C is using Futaba RPU, Servos and Battery.

Keep an eye out here for more info

roschler
09-18-2007, 08:04 AM
cdraptor, This is very exciting! Please do keep us updated on your progress with the Speecys robot. I think it's a fantastic robot and I'm very eager to know what you can do with the software that controls it. Thanks.

Matt
09-18-2007, 12:50 PM
I have to say hands down that this is my favorite looking humanoid. I think they nailed it with the sleek and clean design. I also think including the stand is a great bonus to get with the robot. I don't know why more companies don't do this.

I actually like that they didn't try to make hands. At first I scrunched my eyebrows with indecision, but the more I thought about it the more I began to think that hands are in fact essentially pointless on small humanoid, so why make fake ones. I think the cute arms give him more character and the smoothness will actually make acrobatics go smoother. Of course, in time, people will make hands for him. Where's Matt Bauer?? :robothappy:

The ability to run strait off a power line is also a nice bonus. Definitely a need for computer programmers who will need to see their code in real time as they develop.

Thanks for the unboxing Chuck!

N-2-STUFF
09-18-2007, 01:35 PM
hi cdraptor
way cool

scott

Alex
09-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Great stuff cdraptor!! This is indeed an incredible pre-built humanoid, even if it does have a power cord sticking out of its butt:robotveryhappy:

Seriously though, being able to run directly off of the AC adapter is a really helpful feature. Keep us updated!

cdraptor
09-18-2007, 03:39 PM
One thing I love about the AC Adapter is that even when working with the motion editor, you can have him plugged in. I was with both the Bioloid and the Futaba RBT-1 running into a situation where I could only design so many motions and then once loaded up I often had to recharge him another 90Mins or so before I could use him with it.

The stand is great, he does take some time to boot up since he's running NetBSD and making the connection to the WiFi so turn him on, let him do what he needs and then he'll stand up off the stand when he's ready to go. I'll get some more detail pics of the stand, he basically has two bumps on his bottom that he slots into the stand - It's like his own crazy bar stool.

We currently setting up to work with the Motion editor, I have an english translated screen shot of the motion editor buttons and I'm going to work with the source code to get this translated over to English - screen caps to follow eventually.

cdraptor
09-18-2007, 04:40 PM
One thing to note about the hands is that he has LEDs in the hands and also in the Chest so you can do some emoticons/text and such on the LEDs for additional expression. He already has a servo on the hand for twisting wrist, so I would imagine the hack to put a gripper would follow before too long when the engineering wizards get a hold of him