PDA

View Full Version : HA tutorial???

Vaughn
09-21-2007, 03:51 PM
I saw "Coming Soon: Voice Recognition Home Automation!" tutorial.

Curious what you guys got going on there?

Vaughn

Alex
09-21-2007, 04:00 PM
That's part of an abandoned project from quite a while back. If you're interested in what we did though, email Matt because I'm sure he'd be interested in talking to you about it:)

Datahead
11-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Actually Vaughn, there are many systems that incorporate Voice into there systems. For example HAI has a system out that not only is it an alarm system, but does lighting control (X-10), HVAC control, and few other goodies involving basic home automation.

http://www.homeauto.com/main.asp

The cool thing is you can interface it with your Media Center Edition PC and control your whole house from the couch. The actual system has some program function to it, depends how creative you can get with it. Its automation system is more entry level, but for the price its a pretty good piece of hardware. Check out there website.

Alex
11-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi Datahead, welcome to the forums! Thanks for the linke

have you seen Vaughn's home automation project? He's done some pretty incredible stuff. It won first place in our monthly contest (in August) and was recently featured in Robot Magazine's Winter 2007 issue:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1112

Vaughn
11-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Actually Vaughn, there are many systems that incorporate Voice into there systems.

Sure, every system supports voice, but not many are easily interfaceable. Since I have one, I am always curious about other projects out there, and TR having one really peaked my curiosity.

My system (vcrib.com) uses MS's SDK5.1 and supports about every feature and works nice. Enhanced with some AT&T 16k voices, I am very happy. But it is command based (limited phrase patterns in an XML file). I have not played with swapping the current XML file for context changing of the recognition patterns, but it should work if needed. I create the XML patterns for many things automatically so the administration is not that bad..

In the Robot Head thread, I link to a new VR system that was supposed to have the benefits of dictation and command based systems, it is due to release any time now. I am only interested in products that are open and interfacable though so I am ensured I can use its features in combination with the other systems I have. All my work is free too, so I hate to have to recommend a $$ product to work with the free system they got from me.

Vaughn

Datahead
11-07-2007, 02:09 AM
All my work is free too, so I hate to have to recommend a $$ product to work with the free system they got from me.
Vaughn

Isn't that the truth. Most of all the software I've got that really works and actually does what it is suppose to has been freeware. I personally feel open source has revolutionized the programming market and I am glad to see programmers are using it. In the end it will profit for all of us even if it isn't monetarily. Not to mention it will keep the price of software down. My primary goal is the enviroment, and getting homes off the grid and the stoping of the use of fossil fuels.

If it's any help if I use your product in my system design, and it make money. I'll make sure to build in something to line your pockets so to speak. Right now It's costing a lot of time and research and money. But will let you know if it ever turns a profit.

Regards:
Ron