PDA

View Full Version : Flash Drives

asbrandsson
09-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Hello,

I found this flash drive at Logic Supply

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/fd25a_i32g

I am wondering if anyone knows how good this type of thing is for Robotics Applications. How well it is able to run programs and what not in the sense of working just like a normal hard drive. 4,000,000 R/W seems like a lot but if I was using the Robot all the time would it not just wear out fairly fast?

Is there also a way to embed the basic robot programs and then just use the drive to add to the robots experiences and personality instead of having to load everything from the HD at startup.

Asbrandsson

Alex
09-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Hey asbrandsson!

I'd start a new thread with questions like this. It'd get exposure to a wider range of audience:)

Matt
09-27-2007, 10:50 PM
This post is actually ideal for the "brains of my robot" section which is for processors & related hardware like hard drives. This hard drive looks very cool, but I do wonder how much it would cost. It can't be cheap. I've been waiting for solid state hard drives for a long time for implementation in robotics. I think it's one of the main areas of improvement like batteries where robotics will greatly benefit from new technology.

The 4,000,000 R/W spec has me scratching my head too. I have no idea how that would play out in terms of lifetime.

The solid state hard drive switch over for small robots is a debate worth having, I'd love to hear everyones opinions. I do know that people have had success being able to install their OS and programs on USB thumb drives and using those for small applications.