PDA

View Full Version : USB Game Pad (Like PS2)

srobot
10-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Yesterday I bought a USB Game Pad from Wal Mart.

I wanted one for robotics so I could control them, not for games.

It feels just like my friends PS2 controller, and has the same look.

What I found very nice is that it only cost $25 USD, and is 2.4 GHz wireless!

I tested the game pad at 20 - 25 feet away, and it work (a wall was in the way so I could not go any futher).

It comes with emulation software (CD-Rom), receiver, and game pad.

It has a test mode in the software, but that did not cut it for me; I wanted to test fast, hard, clicks and shoves, to see if it would hold up to the abuse.

I downloaded Tux Racer, and it worked very good with it.

My only complaint is that the 1, 2, 3, and 4 buttons (like the "|>", "O", "[ ]", etc. on a PS2 controller), must be pressed hard to register a click.

With the key mapper (emulation software), you can save programs (maps) to your computer for latter use. Right now I have one map for Tux Racer, and one for Sumotori.

It also has motors inside for vibration, that I have not tested because all of the games I tried are old or were not made for it (if anyone knows of a free way to test it let me know).

A robot idea I had is to program a robot to be driven around, then hit a button and it will switch to autonomous, also if it hits an object the pad will rumble.

Game-Elements (GGE910)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5044148

If you would like pictures, videos, and/or have questions, let me know.

--Scotty

Alex
10-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the tip Scotty! Keep us posted with your updates of integration with this controller and your robot:D