PDA

View Full Version : robot foot design

sweldon
10-06-2007, 10:57 PM
A robot foot design. Foot simple in design to help make a robot walk.

sweldon
10-08-2007, 05:34 PM
I designed this almost 2 years ago . I figured it might give a humanoid robot balance and the ability to walk. Please post all feed back about what you think of this design. I also have a few other designs as well like a fake skin made of a latex and micro fine tubing to make it heat , cold and pressure sensitive... I know I probably talk too mush and design a lot.. I just wish I could build the full humanoid robot I have designed in my mind... This thing even breathes to keep it's insides cooled.

kdwyer
12-10-2007, 07:57 AM
While very anthropomorphic, it doesn't appear to add much in the way of stability side-to-side. That is the big problem with biped designs, lateral stability. Also, is the linkage active (ie. motor driven) or or passive? A passive system merely increases the 'footprint' surface area, a good thing anyway.
Remember the big quad walkers in "Empire Strikes Back"? Basically the foot consisted of a large pad with 3 outlying 'toes' to add stability. That seems to be a simpler more effective system.
Don't get me wrong, I love anthropoid bots. It is just that they seem more complex than they have to be. A human ankle/foot is a tremendous hodgepodge of odd bones and muscles, and imitating the design may not be the best solution for non-organics.
That said, it does look awesome. Even as a passive 'pad' it would improve fore-aft stability. But more details are needed: ankle-damper shocks? or linear actuators? weight/strength issues?
If this ever gets off the drawing board, I'd love to see it. It might even have some utility as a prosthetic.

jdolecki
12-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Look at this!

http://www.media.mit.edu/press/ankle/

kdwyer
12-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Geez, Jdolecki, I must be behind in my tech reading! Then again, I expect to be amazed by MIT. If this gets integrated into a humanoid biped it will go a long way towards really natural gait.
And it also goes to prove that whenever you think you've had an original idea, remember that there are alot of other smart folks about. But we all stand on the shoulders of giants, eh? I would like to see this done as an unpowered passive spring-and-damper joint too, which would be cheaper, simpler, and maybe work almost as well. Y'know, storing the energy on flex and releasing it with a step forward.
I'm a great believer in 'mechanical intelligence' (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/blog.php?blogid=20), ie. gearing/cams/linkages etc. that solve problems without resorting to electronics and motors. That frees up 'tronics to do what they do best, and mechanical solutions are neither power-dependent nor prone to the same sort of breakdowns. Once you have some gearing/linkages working right, they stay right until they break completely. I've recently been looking into four-bar linkages and I'm amazed what can be done with ingenuity. It definitely has a place in our robotics repertoire.
Bring on da feet!

sweldon
12-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Dang it ....... Someone built it before me again :( Well please keep posting in here I got a few other design before someone else might build em.... I hope :)

jdolecki
12-11-2007, 11:59 AM
If you really want to see a foot go here and look at honda robot naked pictures although they are older versions you can see a lot of detail.

http://asimo.honda.com/Gallery.aspx