PDA

View Full Version : Robonova battery update!

quickster47
10-08-2007, 08:34 AM
I've been working with my RN-1 for a week or so now and one of the first things you realize is that the boy will drain his battery in a hurry. I mean, it is maybe an hour but that time passes quickly when you are knee deep in robo code.

Not wanting to go the LiPo route just yet, even though I have all the necessary stuff, I wanted something besides a 1000mah NiMh battery.

Searching the big "I" for 2/3A batteries I came across CheapBatteryPacks, a vendor I have used before with very good results. (www.cheapbatterypacks.com) They have 1500mah NiMh 2/3A battery and would make them in the same configuration as the OEM pack. I ordered a couple of packs on Monday. Friday they showed up and I must say, once again I was impressed.

I have not yet been able to locate the mating power connector for the board so I used a couple of W.S. Deans Micro 2R plugs which will handle the current with no problem. You can also use the OEM battery charger if you like which I have done several times although most of the time I use a more robust charger.

So now I can get about 90 minutes of continuous running and more if I am judicious with watching my power.

Matt
10-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Wow, this is a crazy good tip. Is the 90 minutes you mention off one pack or many? I'm guessing many.

quickster47
10-08-2007, 05:17 PM
I have three of the new 1500mah battery packs so I can just keep swapping them out and charging them. It is pretty easy to change them and now that I have more than one pack and can fast charge them it is more conveinent.

Soon as I make up some adapter cables I am going to hook up my Eagle Tree Micro Power Logger and just how much current I am pulling when doing some of the more intense kung fu moves and the acrobatic stuff. Should prove interesting.

Carl

BauerMECH
10-09-2007, 01:22 PM
I have not yet been able to locate the mating power connector for the board so I used a couple of W.S. Deans Micro 2R plugs which will handle the current with no problem.

Ha, I use the same connectors. The "proper" RN-1 compatable connectors are made by Tyco I believe...

sorry I can't dig up the P/N right now... have to get back to work. ;)

quickster47
10-10-2007, 05:17 AM
Matt,

Thanks for that update.

And I do know about going back to work and how that can interfere with those things we really love to do. And often times dealing with robots is sooooo much easier than dealing with humans and all their little problems. :)

Carl

engineer
05-03-2010, 12:24 PM
the digikey part #'s are: socket, A30499-ND, housing, A30501-ND, board header for charging, A30511_ND