PDA

View Full Version : RoboPhilo - Did you see it?

cdraptor
10-16-2007, 10:09 PM
I saw mention that the RoboPhilo would be shown off at iHobby - did any one see it, mess with it, anything thoughts - Matt should I order one to play with?

Alex
10-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Lem blogged about RoboPhilo being unvieled at iHobby a couple of days ago:

http://www.robots-dreams.com/2007/10/robot-army-head.html

He also mentioned quite a few other robot attendees at iHobby;)

Are you going to be there cdraptor? We'd love to see you show off the Speecy's, not to mention seeing it in person:D

From what I've read, the RoboPhilo sounds like a pretty impressive robot for under $500. Being as I am, I am a bit skeptical though. I'm waiting for the "ah, that's where they cut the cost" moment, but I still haven't found it. Hopefully that cost cutting area doesn't kill the fun of playing with the robot.

I'm with you, has anyone messed around with it? Hearing first hand experience what they though would clear up a lot of thoughts.

The servos seem a little weak, but that's to be expected and they don't seem to be weak enough that they would ruin the fun. I can't find anything else that stands out (in a bad way) in their specs. Here are the specs from their site:

Specifications

Height: 13" ( 330.2mm )
Weight: 1.2kg ( 1200g ) with battery

PCB Unit
- Dimensions: 2.99" x 2.24" x 0.06" ( 76 x 57 x 1.6mm )
- Weight: 1.91oz ( 54g )
- Operating Voltage: 6V DC
- CPU: Atmega32 - 16PU

SV 4032 Servos
- Dimensions: 1.59"L x 0.78"W x 1.42"H ( 40.4 x 19.8 x 36mm )
- Weight: 1.3oz ( 37.2g )
- Torque: 4.1kg-cm
- Speed: 0.19 sec/60°

SV 4104 Servos
- Dimensions: 1.57" x 0.79" x 1.5" ( 40 x 20 x 38.1mm )
- Weight: 1.4oz ( 41g )
- Torque: 6.5kg-cm
- Speed: 0.16 sec/60°

SV 2030 Servos
- Dimensions: 0.89" x 0.45" x 0.81" ( 22.8 x 11.5 x 20.8mm )
- Weight: 0.28oz ( 8g )
- Torque: 1.3kg-cm
- Speed: 0.12 sec/60°

7.2V 1000mA Charger
- Input: AC 100 - 240V, 50/60Hz 500mA
- Output: 7.2V 1000mA
- Dimensions: 1.69" x 2.91" x 1.33" ( 43 x 74 x 34mm )
- Weight: 100g
- Charging Time: Approximately 1.5 hrs

6V Ni-MH 5 x 2/3AA 700mAh Battery
- Dimensions: 1.14" x 1.57" x 1.14" ( 29 x 40 x 29mm )
- Weight: 75g
- Voltage: 6V
- Capacity: 700mAh

The robot controller itself has 24 servo channels and 8 I/O interfaces. It also comes with graphical motion editor software and Hanger Stand. All very impressive features:) It's great that it comes with a hanger stand. It's such a pain trying to get the robot up and running (no pun intended) without one.

The only thing that is left to wonder is the quality of the construction hardware and the software, which we won't know till we hold one in our hands and test it out for ourselves. Decent hardware construction quality is a must, but as long as they leave the communication for the controller open, they can totally get away with skimping on the software end and all the modders (including myself) will still have a blast with this robot. Sure having wicked software is nice, especially when it comes to not having to know about complicated walking algorithms and such, but it certainly is not necessary if you leave a board open to program in any language.

Whatever I made it seem in this post, I'm totally stoked to see this robot!! Hopefully they'll be close by our booth:D

srobot
10-17-2007, 09:32 AM
iHobby starts tomorrow (public can go only on Saturday and Sunday).

I'll take videos and let you know.

If you want more info on RoboPhilo check out Robot Magazine Winter 2007 (I think it's out now, I got mine yesterday).

--Scotty

cdraptor
10-17-2007, 05:26 PM
I just my copy of Robot Mag today, so I will be reading up on it, Unfortunately I cannot make the iHobby show, but I am dying to get out and demo the SPC-101C. I need to touch base with Matt and make a trip out to Trossen in Chicago sometime (maybe Nov).

srobot
10-17-2007, 09:21 PM
I need to touch base with Matt and make a trip out to Trossen in Chicago sometime (maybe Nov).

Matt Trossen (Chicago, IL), or Matt Bauer (Ohio)?

I don't know exactly what you're talking about, but Trossen Robotics does not have a "store front" (online only).

I hope to see more store front robot stores! Right now for the USA, there is one in NY, and one in CA (both "small").

Maybe we can met up some time!

--Scotty

cdraptor
10-18-2007, 03:35 PM
I have a client out in Chicago that is part of a couple user groups for Drupal and Adobe meetup - so I may be coming out to demonstrate some of the work we've done using Drupal with Adobe Flex interface, I figure if I get in touch with Matt Trossen, he would be interested in checking out what I've got working with the Speecys SPC-101C. Anyway not sure the timing of a trip at this point.

Alex
10-18-2007, 09:35 PM
grrr! I went back to our booth at iHobby today and saw that Dave got a RoboPhilo flier, so I asked him, "where is it at"? He pointed in the direction that he found it (pretty much a maze at these places) and said good luck. I walked in that direction searching everywhere and couldn't find a thing:( He did say that he was overall impressed with it though. Oh well, there's still three days left, I'm sure I'll get to check it out. Once I do, I'll post back here with some up close pictures.

We were able to put a ton of names to faces now, so I was overall satisfied:D I got to meet a couple of peeps from Chibots. Really cool guys!

Alex
10-18-2007, 09:40 PM
That'd be sick to see some of the stuff your doing! I'm sure Matt would be really interested too. Get ahold of us when/if you come into town cdraptor! You have Matt's cell, right? If not, pm me and I'll send you mine at least:)