PDA

View Full Version : Robot Shot in standoff with armed man.

jdolecki
10-29-2007, 12:10 PM
This is how its all going to start. Now the robot is blind.
Is it a crime to shoot a robot?
Soon the robots will have had enough and start rebelling.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/29/armed-stand-off-ends-with-robot-shot-man-in-hospital/

Alex
10-29-2007, 12:23 PM
We'd better not piss off the robots! They'll just keep coming even if they are blind;)

too funny!

thanks!

jchahn
10-29-2007, 02:50 PM
I get the feeling it was R/C instead of autonomous, so it doesn't really count. The day an autonomous robot gets in a gunfight with someone and the robot makes the decision on its own to shoot the person.. that's the day we start to take notice. I don't think we are too far from that day either. I saw some prototype .50 cal mini gun the other day from Korea or Japan or something that was supposedly totally autonomous. Now THAT'S scary.

Alex
10-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I remember that robot! I thought it was a prototype from iRobot, but I can't seem to find any info on it anymore...

I'd hate to be confronted by that one, haha!

jchahn
10-29-2007, 03:49 PM
It's here:

http://www.robotswillruletheworld.com/2007/03/15/12/

It's called "Scariest robot video ever!"

Alex
10-29-2007, 04:30 PM
That's different than what I was thinking about. I totally forgot about this robot though, thanks;) I think what they call the robot in the video is the Korean Sentry Robot, which is monitoring the border between North and South Korea (pretty much what was said in the blog post).

The robot that I was thinking about was a robotic track-based robot with nothing more than a huge ass machine gun and some sort of vision system mounted on top. Really freaky looking.

jdolecki
10-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Things to think about.

If the robot had a weapon and shot back and killed the man could you argue that was excessive use of force cause the robot is not really human?

Does shooting at a police robot have the same consequence as shooting at a human officer? You could argue that its only a machine but it is still controlled by a police officer.

Wouldn't it be better to have a robot that could incapacitate the man?
stun gun?
knock out tranquilizer?

What about the so called robot laws? Can a robot harm a human been even if its being controlled by a human?

Robot and computer law will be the next big thing.

Think about it.

jchahn
10-29-2007, 08:24 PM
In my opinion, if the robot is controlled by a human, then it basically is an extension of the human. So if I control a robot, and I murder you with the robot, the robot didn't kill you, I did.

I feel the same way about guns. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. If a human is controlling an object, whether it be a gun, knife, or robot, then the human is responsible for what happens, not the object, IMHO.

If the robot is autonomous and doing things "on its own" so to speak, it's a different story. Even use of the term "on its own" is a bit controversial, though, because the argument could be made that the robot isn't really doing things on its own.. it's doing what is was programmed to do. Anyway, IMHO, the issue becomes a bit more hazy if it is an autonomous robot. If it was programmed to somehow analyze and "understand" the situation and respond to it on it's own based on it's own sensory input, then it becomes a morality issue. If the technology exists for a robot to be "smart" enough to do such things, should it be allowed to.

This may not be the popular opinion, but I think it depends on the situation.

Should the robot be allowed to kill a human to defend itself? No.
Should the robot be allowed to use non-lethal and non-permanent injury means to defend itself (ie: stun gun, pepper spray, etc)? Yes, IMHO, but debatable under certain situations.

Should a robot be allowed to kill a human to defend another human (ie: a defense robot that knows what army it works for and will defend the lives of the soldiers of that army by any means necessary)? Yes, IMHO, but only if the robot is smart enough to actually know when the lives of the soldiers are in danger.

These are all very debatable things, and my opinions are not set in stone. These are just my initial thoughts on the issue.

Alex
10-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Jchahn, I agree with you that if the Robot is being controlled by a human, then the human would be the one who is responsible. But, as you said, if the robot is autonomous, then it is a totally different story.

I agree it is a matter of morals than anything. I don't think that the robot should ever be allowed to kill a human being in any case of it defending itself. It should only use non-lethal methods to subdue it's "victim", only when absolutely necessary. But who determines when it is absolutely necessary?

However, a robot being able to kill another human being in order to defend another human... That's a really hard question to answer and brings up many other questions.

Who decides who lives or dies? What gives a robot the right to kill one person in order to save the life of another? What if the person who was trying to kill the other person was actually in the right with their reasoning? What about our own enemies gaining these same robots and using them against us? Who would be right then?

Just a bunch of things that rush through my head when I think about it. Maybe it's flashbacks of when I watched Terminator for the very first time when I was young, haha, but I'm really on the fence about it.

You put it well jchann, these are all very debatable topics, and very real topics at the moment. Robotics will bring us into a next generation of warfare, there is no question about that? I'm just praying that ethical decisions will be made by the leaders of the world when it happens.

kdwyer
11-12-2007, 06:59 PM
A few more questions...
1. Can a robot (autonomous, of course) act inhumanely towards another robot?
2. Does a robot have a basic right to a good charge? (electrical)
3. Is a robot that will dis-assemble another bot to use its' parts a carnobot? Or a cannibot?
4. If autonomous bots are free to exchange information, what would constitute gossip or insults?
5. If a bot thinks it is better than another bot, is that mechano-ism?

I worry about thses things...

Alex
11-13-2007, 02:12 PM
nice ones!

Can a robot (autonomous, of course) act inhumanely towards another robot?

inhumanely? Wouldn't it be inrobotly? hehe.

Does a robot have a basic right to a good charge? (electrical)

Every robot should be able to get a jolt every now and then! It's not our place to tell a robot when they've had too much;)

If autonomous bots are free to exchange information, what would constitute gossip or insults?

Robot momma jokes, for sure!

How's this one:

Your momma is so slow that when she plugs herself into a computer she gets the "Outdated POS" error message.

I know I know, weak, VERY weak, haha! I never was good at jokes. I'd love to hear some robot momma jokes though! Come on people! I'm sure we can come up with some hilarious ones:D