PDA

View Full Version : 1HV owner haveing problem with servos, help requested

Droid Works
11-04-2007, 11:04 AM
I am havening a problem getting the full range of motion out of the 2 shoulder servos. Any help would be aperciated?

Before you ask ,yes it looks just like the zeroed 1hv pic. The servos WILL move the full range if you move them by hand. But when you use the SLIDER it acts like there is a stop when there is none. Unpowered the arms will move from a hands raised all the way to arms pointing behind him. Powered useing the slider his arms only move from arms straight up to almost to his sides like there is a stop there but there is no stop. The software only lets me use 1/2 of his range or motion in the shoulders.

The trim does not do anything at all. I made some adjustments in the trim and nothing happened. But I was told xp sometimes has problems with the software and to try rebooting. so I will try that.

I am useing a laptop, I have all the servos set to ICS. Is there any laptop isues anyone know of and should I have the servos set for ICS or normal?

Droid Works
11-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Ok, I have solved all the problems except why I can only get 1/2 the rotation from the shoulder servos. There must be some software setting or something in the memory of the robot not letting the servo do its full rotation. I cant create my start position until I solve this problem and with no start position I cant run any motions. Anyone have any Idea how to get the software to see that the servo can move farther?

Droid Works
11-05-2007, 01:57 PM
I finally figured out what the problem is. I unplugged the shoulder servos and tried the robot without the shoulder servos and it worked fine. So then I tried it with one shoulder at a time and whenever I hooked up the left shoulder everything went haywire. So I took a closer look at the servo and I could hear something rattling inside it. So I took it apart and there was a raw piece of solder floating around in the servo. So I took it out and all the servos are fine now.
And as for the software issues I tried it on my desktop and everything worked fine. It seems the adapter or something has some issues with Toshiba laptops. So I updated all the usb drivers and reinstalled the software on my laptop. Its still very buggy on my laptop but I am able to run it on my laptop now. So everything is working good now :)

Alex
11-05-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm glad to hear you figured everything out Droid! I sure was scratchin my head...

Dave
11-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Wow. Well, I'm glad to see that everything worked out. I never would have suspected a stray solder blob in the servo. This illustrates one of my favorite tried-and-true troubleshooting techniques, though: Shake it. If it rattles, you've found your problem :)

Droid Works
11-05-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm just happy I didn't have to replace the servo. I just got lucky it didn't damage the servo. Anyway I am so impressed with the 1HV it is such a graceful bot and the movement is so smooth.

Alex
11-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Do you have any videos of the 1HV in action? I'd love to see the graceful movement you're talking about:) I've only seen the 1HV in the box:(

Droid Works
11-06-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm in the middle of doing a bunch of mod to it but as soon as I'm done I will post some:) One of the things I am doing is changing its look kinda like what mat bauer did to his nova. But I will give you a hint I named it Kong...lol I also need to buy 1 more 788 so he will have fully articulated arms.

Dave
11-06-2007, 03:42 PM
You're using the Heart To Heart 3J software, right? Aparently the new HTH3 software (which is only in Japanese), along with the new RCB3 firmware, makes the movement even nicer.

Droid Works
11-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Even though its a pain in the butt I'm using the Japanese software. Its so similar to the 3j software I pretty much have it memorized now. The Japanese software is a little bit nicer and a few extra features. Slowly but surely I am getting used to it...lol

Dave
11-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Even though its a pain in the butt I'm using the Japanese software. Its so similar to the 3j software I pretty much have it memorized now. The Japanese software is a little bit nicer and a few extra features. Slowly but surely I am getting used to it...lol
Good for you, man. Most people don't have the fortitude for that. Do you have any tips for people who might want to do the same?

Droid Works
11-07-2007, 07:33 PM
All the features are in the same places as the j version. So memorize those. Also there are some new features. Like the little icon that looks like a white wing. It is a very useful tool for writing motions. When you click it, It sets all the servos to servo interface (the slider). On the j version you have to click them and select them manually. Also the capture current position works better than the j version. Its not as buggy as the J version. I am working on some reliable motions and reliable sensor setting for the 1HV that I will make available soon. Also eventually I want to see if I can hack the Japanese version so it is in English unless kondo makes a English version soon. Also the movement seems to be a little smoother when you use the Japanese version.

Dave
11-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Also the capture current position works better than the j version. Its not as buggy as the J version.
Are the files compatible between the two software versions? Is it possible to capture positions in the E version, then open the file in the J version?

I am working on some reliable motions and reliable sensor setting for the 1HV that I will make available soon. Also eventually I want to see if I can hack the Japanese version so it is in English unless kondo makes a English version soon.
Sweet.

Also the movement seems to be a little smoother when you use the Japanese version.
That's what I've heard. From what I understand, the new controller firmware uses algorithms that create intermediate positions to smooth out the transitions from one position to another, but that's one of the new features that the English version doesn't take advantage of yet.

Droid Works
11-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Are the files compatible between the two software versions? Is it possible to capture positions in the E version, then open the file in the J version?

They are after you open them with the j version and rename them in English. But you have to open the file by double clicking on it. I you open it from the j version open file button there is a bug that sometimes corrupts the file.