PDA

View Full Version : KHR-1HV - pre-purchase knowledge

plingboot
11-08-2007, 05:23 AM
Hi all,
I'm in the process of gathering all the info i need before purchasing a KHR-1HV and would appreciate any help on the following list.

I'm not a total newb - as i already have an RN1 with tilt, gyro and sonar sensors.

The main thing i NEED to know about the KHR-1HV is that i can interface with him via my intel MacBook - running windows XP via bootcamp. I have USB and/or bluetooth available with this set-up and have pretty good success interfacing with the RN1 via this set-up and a lindy serial/usb adaptor.

If anyone has experience with this kind of set-up i'd like to know all the pitfalls and solutions before making an expensive/useless purchase. I don't own an traditional windows PC and have absolutely no intention of buying one.

In addition, here's a list of other questions (which i've also posted on robosavvy).

KHR-1HV Connectivity
1. are there 'stable' bluetooth solutions available to upload and execute actions/programmes? (any product names/info please)

2. any thoughts on whether this would work with the built-in bluetooth on my intel macbook running XP?

KHR-1HV Senors
1. does the H2H software allow you to create if/then/else actions based on sensor input - ie on my rn1 - if he falls over, the input from the tilt sensor triggers the 'get up' sequence (for either front or back falls)

2. does anyone have a list of sensors they've tried and had success with?

KHR-1HV inputs and outputs
1. could anyone point me at a resource to find out how many sensor inputs the KHR-1HV can accept, along with a bluetooth interface.

2. are there ALSO any spare servo connections - ie for gripper servos etc?

If anyone happens to have a list of usefull KHR-1HV related sites/documents i'd appreciate that too.

Sorry to sound like a total newb, but I'm trying to cut down on my usual hobby spending, by finding out as much as possible in advance, before buying all the bits i require - rather than buying anything and everything only to find i have a box full of epensive, unused bits. :oops: :roll:

Thanks in advance.

Dave
11-08-2007, 01:20 PM
I can answer a few of your questions.

> The main thing i NEED to know about the KHR-1HV is that i can interface with him via my
> intel MacBook - running windows XP via bootcamp.

The software should work fine, and here's a thread about using the Kondo usb adapter on a Mac:
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1230

> 1. could anyone point me at a resource to find out how many sensor inputs the KHR-1HV can
> accept, along with a bluetooth interface.

The control board has 3 analog inputs. A Bluetooth adapter, such as the BlueSmurf, would use the board's serial interface. If your computer's built-in bluetooth adapter shows up as a COM port, it should work. If not, you may need to get an external adapter that does work as a COM port. Here's a link to the RCB-3J manual, where you'll find info on the inputs and outputs:
http://www.trossenrobotics.com/images/productdownloads/RCB-3J_Manual_forENG.pdf

> 2. are there ALSO any spare servo connections - ie for gripper servos etc?

There are 24 channels in total, 5 are unused.

> I'm trying to cut down on my usual hobby spending, by finding out as much as possible in
> advance, before buying all the bits i require - rather than buying anything and everything
> only to find i have a box full of epensive, unused bits.

Totally understandable. I hope my info helps you out a bit.