PDA

View Full Version : Poll for a chat room

Tymtravler
11-21-2007, 08:14 PM
I talked to ALex about a chat room on robotics, if the demand is great, then they will make one. I am on line all day and would enjoy a chat with my fellow robot builders. I will monitor the yes of no requests, and I am sure Alex will be watching too. Just make a post if you want one or not.

Tymtravler

:D

Droid Works
11-21-2007, 08:30 PM
I agree I am on allot also and a chat room would be nice.

sthmck
11-22-2007, 01:32 AM
i would certainly appreciate having one.

kdwyer
11-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Sounds good to me. I'd check in now and then, especially if I have a thorny problem LOL.

Alex
11-22-2007, 08:22 PM
I'd like to see a chatroom added too! We'll have to see how many people will use it though, so please let everyone know about this thread and continue to post about your thoughts on this! It's totally up to the community here on whether or not we'll add it. BTW, I added a poll to this thread, so everybody who said yes/no, please come back and vote on the poll:)

cdraptor
11-29-2007, 05:26 PM
I have few suggestions on the chat. One thing about the Robosavvy chat was that there is rarely anyone on, partially because of timezone issues. Since we only span 3 hours in timezones, I think we'll more likely find people on around the same times. Now I generally do not like the web interface chats (robosavvy refresh delay made it almost unusable, you couldn't tell if someone answered before you replied) - so what would be the best solution is one with a chat server you can get a client app. I actually like using IRC, so maybe setting up an IRC channel and register it with like freenode and using a web client that can use IRC as the chat server gateway that way it provides more options. At the very least make sure it is responsive, when I type and hit enter, the message should show up right away - Flash/Flex based or even Java applet, forget those slow javascript/AJAX.

Alex
11-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Great Ideas cdraptor!

Chatrooms are totally new to us, so any suggestions and experience that other's have had (good or bad) with other chatrooms or any other sort of feedback is all greatly appreciated:D

Our intent is to keep adding new features to the TR Community to create the best user experience we can for all of our community members. You all rock!

Alex
01-20-2008, 05:59 PM
just wanted to give everyone an update. We've found the software that we want to go with for the chatrooms. It's powerful, flexible, and the interface is slick, intuitive and functional, just the way we like it;)

Anywoo, should everything go right with the install, we should have this running sometime this week.

Alex
01-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Just a quick update for everyone.

We have the chat software partially working in the TR Community. If you are logged in, click on Chat in the navbar above, and you'll be automatically logged into TR Chat. We still have a few bugs to work out, but it is at least stable.

As soon as you see an official announcement in the TR Blog (http://blog.trossenrobotics.com/index.php), that's when you know it's 100% functional:)

Let me know what all you think of it! Give me both the good and bad.

Alex
02-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Hey everyone,

First of all, thank you for your patience with us trying to get the chat software up and running in the TR Community. We've ran into some nasty roadblocks, but we're not giving up! Damn, I sound like I'm in the primaries, haha!

Anyways, I wanted to give all of you a quick update. The chat software that we previously had installed turned out to not be all that great (I'm being nice) and we had some "difficulties" from their support team.

That aside, we went with a new chat software company last week. We've already tested a lot of it out and have so far been extremely happy with them and their support! The software is flexible, very quick & responsive. There are a few features that are not available with this new one, but it's still overall a way better buy than the previous software.

That aside, we're running into a few small problems with the final integration of the chat software into our forum community. Their support team is doing an excellent job at working with us to get everything up and running though. As soon as this is completed and I have a chance to test out the integration features thoroughly, I'll be posting here and letting everyone know to start chatting:D

Alex
02-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Great news!!!

It looks like the chat software is working... at least for the most part. We have the auto-login feature working now, so if you are logged into the community, then click "Chat" in the navbar at the top you'll be automatically logged into the chat app.

We just have to do some small configurations (mostly aesthetic) to the software so you may get kicked out every now and then, but overall, everything seems to be working great!

Let me know if you run into any problems

- Alex

Tymtravler
02-21-2008, 11:57 AM
ALEX Great job, just got in the chat room and played around with it. Love the sound effects and stuff. Hope to see every one on the TRSChat.

LLRB

Tymtravler

DresnerRobotics
02-21-2008, 01:43 PM
We're all hanging out in here, talking smack about Dave's pitiful human resistance. Join us!