PDA

View Full Version : I-Droid

asbrandsson
11-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Hello,

I got my I-droid that I ordered off of e-bay.

This is not quite the robot that I expected it to be. As to be honest I thought that it would be more like a toy and less like a Robot. But I must say that it is by far the best Robot I have seen available around today.

Originally my plan was to put the I-Droid head on my Robonova, but now that I have the I-droid I have realized that the Robonova frame will have to be re-built to accomidate the head of an I-droid. The overall robot size will have to be somewhere in the range of two to three feet high. But now that I have both robots it is only a matter of getting started.

Asbrandsson

Alex
11-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Do you have any images and something to put next to it to get a good idea of the size? Feel free to upload them to the gallery (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/upload.php?&c=3):)

asbrandsson
11-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Hello,

I put up a couple of images in the members gallery off of my cell phone camera. The I-droid I have is at this time hard for me to use because -

A) the voice module uses italian, which I know nothing about and

B) it is programed through Bluetooth so I have to get a bluetooth adapter for my computer tommorrow. Nothing too big but non the less one more problem.

I would say that if more of these came over to North America i think that they would revolutionize the way people think about building and using domestic Robots.

Asbrandsson

asbrandsson
11-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Hello,

I set up a USB bluetooth gaget on my computer this morning. Now I am just down to switching the voice mode from Italian to English.

Once the blue tooth link was set up I got full access to the Robot and its capabilities. Which is totally awesome. It has a CMOS camera on its head and face tracking software in it, which I think is pretty cool. Because the head has 2DOF it can follow your face or other objects with head movement alone.

It reminds me of basically what an ER-1 was trying to be, but it actually is more personable. There is a Visual C- Like programable interaface that you can use to program it with if you are not good at writing code. Basically you drop the blocks to make bahaviours and procedures then they are written into code. Which is good for me, and the amount of stuff you can do is tremendous.

There is a French Robot that is basically this robot mixed with the Robonova 1 that I think anyone could make. I also like that the Robot is supposed to be self assembled- which means that all the boards are marked up so that you can tell what wire is supposed to be what. When I bought the robot it was not put together properly and I had to do some trouble shooting. Which although I am not that handy it was super simply to take it apart fix it and put it back together.

As I said before if you have a chance to pick this robot up I think that it provides a really good frame around which you can build another generation of better humanoid robots, but it is also a really good robot on its own- and will definitely provide me with a lot of future fun.

Asbrandsson

Alex
11-28-2007, 04:12 PM
What type of face tracking software are you using or is it pre-installed?

This bot sounds pretty damn impressive... Do you happen to know the company that built this bot and/or have a link where people can pick this robot up (other than eBay)?

asbrandsson
11-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Hello,

The face tracking software comes from T-Droid-

http://tdroid.altervista.org/

These are the people that make the Robot-

http://www.i-droid01.com/frontend/

I am not sure how to buy the Robot other then E-bay. I think that for some reason there is no english or north american distribution for this Robot. I have tryed to contact them several times to no avail. If you guys could get the North American distribution I sure you would make a mint. As it offers the best cutting robot around.

Just the head allone is a Qrio type that is simple good to look at and functional. Which can be used on any humanoid robot.

The last time I called the guys from Evolution Robotics the sales rep said that they are really focusing on doing emmbedded Vision solutions, which I thought at the time was a poor direction to go in- but now that I have seen this kind of thing in action I think that it is excellent. Basically you can build a humanoid robot one module at a time that can also be updated by simply changing the appropriate module. Which I think is brilliant. As well these modules take very little power to operate. Which is why the I-droid gets 4 hours of operation out of eight AA rechargables.

Asbrandsson

Alex
11-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Hello,

Which is why the I-droid gets 4 hours of operation out of eight AA rechargables.

Wow:robotsurprised: 8AA's are quite a lot of batteries, but for 4hours, I think it's worth it.

Thanks for the links! We'll see what we can find out with them. Would you be willing to disclose how much you paid for the bot?

asbrandsson
12-01-2007, 01:09 AM
Hello,

I do not mind talking about how much I paid for it. 500 Euros. But I got all 90 parts packages set up to make the robot. So you can find it cheaper and more expensive depending how far allong it is to being finished.

Asbrandsson

asbrandsson
02-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Hello,

I got my set of grippers and double knees on the Robonova now. The next step for me is seeing what kind of improvement this is going to be. At the very least I need to give my sore fingers time to heal :). I think that the next step is adding the gyros and a tilt sensor or accelemeter and looking at some ways to increase the body size without putting it to far out of balance with AutoCad and picking up a Sherline CNC machine to build the body and head.

Asbrandsson

kdwyer
02-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Robot, hell, I'd love to see and hear more about the Sherline! They go for around $2000 or so, right? What a workshop... add an O'scope and you can handle ANYTHING!
I'm sick with jealousy and envy.

asbrandsson
02-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Hello,

That is pretty much how I feel. I would like to buy a new one, but more then likely I will pick a used one up off of e-bay and fix whatever is wrong with it or add to it until I get what I want. From the demo stuff that I seen around it will make proto-typing a lot easier.

Asbrandsson

tom_chang79
02-15-2008, 09:33 AM
curious, I see your avatar has an i-droid body, but have bepdal legs... Is this a modified i-droid that walks?

asbrandsson
02-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Hello,

This is where I found the walking I-droid

http://digilander.libero.it/lepaginedichiccow/I-droid01/Progetti/Umanoide.html

It is not my project, but I am working on something very much like this. I also really wish that there was an English I-droid. First and foremost so that I could make more use out of mine and secondly, it is a great plateform.

Asbrandsson

tom_chang79
02-15-2008, 08:11 PM
You should look into some brackets and servos on lynxmotion:

www.lynxmotion.com

You can probably mount the top half of your i-droid using SES (servo erector set) based parts. Or better yet, beef your platform with a tri-track system...

Matt
02-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Or... you could buy them here (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/c/2703-Lynxmotion.aspx)... just a thought :p LOL

tom_chang79
02-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Didn't realize TR carried LM stuff too...:p

Alex
02-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Didn't realize TR carried LM stuff too...:p

haha, no worries;)

we actually carry a TON of manufacturer's products:
http://www.trossenrobotics.com/robot-manufacturers.aspx