PDA

View Full Version : Rankings on posts

kdwyer
11-28-2007, 02:26 PM
I noticed there are alot of views for some posts, but almost no votes. I think I may be the only one who has voted!
Granted, I don't vote on every post I read either, but c'mon! It only takes a second. I'm interested in what others think about my project too, even if I disagree.
I like the advice/input from others about my bot, especially the non-functional stuff, ie. bling. Part of robotics is the visual appeal, especially to the non-robotics set. Flashing lights, beeps and boops, and other non-essential stuff is essential when the pure functioning parts have been worked out.
And a better idea for the working parts is ALWAYS welcome. Constructive criticism doesn't hurt. An 'attaboy' is worth as much as a 'WTF were you thinking?'

Alex
11-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Are you referring to the "Rate This Thread" option with the stars? If this is what you're talking about, I always seem forget to do this. I'm willing to bet the reason why many other members don't is because they don't realize the feature is available to them.

A couple of ways of motivating people to do this:

- Put a friendly "don't forget to Rate This Thread" plug in each of your threads.
- Leading by example: The more people see threads being rated, the more people who will realize this feature is available to them, thus the more chances that the thread will be rated!

I'll try to remember to vote more often too:)

Thanks for the reminder!

Zenta
02-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Hi,

About the ranking part: Why is it possible for the owner of the thread to rank his/hers own thread?

jrowe47
02-15-2008, 03:09 AM
C'mon, shamelessly self plugging your own content isn't bad.

:P

Alex
02-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Why is it possible for the owner of the thread to rank his/hers own thread?Same reason why people running for offices are entitled to vote even if it is for themselves;)

I look at it from both sides,

1) It's not right to allow people to rate their own threads because it can give a false representation as to how "cool" the thread is.

2) It's ok, because even though #1 is true, it only stays true for a certain period of time. That person's rating of a thread is only one vote. As more people rate a thread, the truth will come out on just how "cool" that thread is.

Even more reason why everyone needs to rate threads! I still forget sometimes, but it's much easier for me with this new version of the forum software, because once you go into a thread it'll tell you if you rated the thread just by clicking on the Rating dropdown at the top of each thread.:D

Zenta
02-15-2008, 11:10 AM
2) It's ok, because even though #1 is true, it only stays true for a certain period of time. That person's rating of a thread is only one vote. As more people rate a thread, the truth will come out on just how "cool" that thread is.

Even more reason why everyone needs to rate threads! I still forget sometimes, but it's much easier for me with this new version of the forum software, because once you go into a thread it'll tell you if you rated the thread just by clicking on the Rating dropdown at the top of each thread.:D

OK, good point Alex!

I'll try to remember voting in the future;)