PDA

View Full Version : A doubt on how Robotis company creates the motion files?

kbv2842
12-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Hi there!
I just had this strange thought which may well be wrong or right. Anyways, that's why you see this post. The Robotis company makes sophisticated motion files for their Bioloids like the walking sequence of the humanoid, the puppy doing a somersault dance, etc. I don't think they were using the Motion Editor Program that they provide to users for making this motion files. If they don't then what do they use to create such neat motions? Or Is there anyone out there on this planet who knows how to create such motions.
Thanks...

Alex
12-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I would think that they use the same Motion Editor that they supply, but I can't say for sure...

kbv2842
12-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Can we get a reply from the people who are really making these smart motion files. My mind haunts me saying: "There got to be some software or tool. It's not the motion editor. It's not." Alex, can I get an email or can you forward this message to the very people?
Thanks enormously!

Dave
12-14-2007, 03:55 PM
That is an interesting question. I'll shoot an email along to our contacts at Robotis and see what kind of information I can get.

tom_chang79
03-07-2008, 04:09 AM
Did any reply come back from this communication?

Alex
03-07-2008, 01:10 PM
actually, no we didn't hear back from them.... We'll try asking them again.

LinuxGuy
03-23-2008, 09:52 PM
I don't think they were using the Motion Editor Program that they provide to users for making this motion files.
What makes you think they are not using the same motion editor they provide to end users? I'm curious.

Often it is just experience with a given tool that enables one to get fancy results. Since the folks at Robotis obviously know their tools better than anyone else, it's only reasonable they would be able to get better results than somebody just starting out.

8-Dale

darkback2
04-25-2008, 10:54 PM
I feel like that wouldn't be all that uncommon.(using different software to demo a robot than you provide to the end user) look at the ISOBOT...It has all different kinds of modes, but I can't program it to do things half as cool as the pre-programmed options. I wish I could have that level of control. Why wouldn't a company use more advanced software? I would. Think about it...the more advanced software could be less stable. You only have to get it to work once when the camera is rolling.

DB

Adrenalynn
04-26-2008, 03:52 AM
I'm with Dale here.

It's frequently just a loose nut that needs tightening.

You know - the one behind the keyboard. ;)

tom_chang79
04-28-2008, 09:52 AM
I've been pretty happy just messing with the default humanoid motion files so I haven't had a chance to use the tools fully to create new motions/gaits... But now that I've been acquainted with the tools, I believe it is certainly possible to do it with the packaged software.

I think creating any gaits is similar to the old stop-motion videos like on gumby. It takes very fine "steps" to create something very fluid. So long as you have the patience for it, I think one can achieve some of the most complicated and fancy gaits with it.

The way I would create a new gait, if I ever get to it, would be first use the motion editor and capture the motions, then I would read the motion pages from the robot terminal and fine tune each servo's motion for symmetry and timing. Then document each page and what it does to link the "next page" and "exit page" for the motions.

What would've been nice is if the motion editor was implemented like the Lynxmotion Sequencer, where you can place each of the servo motion stepper window next to the servo or limbs. That way, it would be much easier to intrepet which servo to manipulate, rather then having to go back and look at the servo's ID label...