PDA

View Full Version : [Book] Practical .NET 2.0 Networking Projects

fish123456
12-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Hey everyone, just checked out a book from the library. I didn't go looking for it, but happened to find it when looking for other things. It's for .NET development and touches on several devices sold through trossenrobotics.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Practical-NET-2-0-Networking-Projects/dp/1590597907

I wouldn't say this book provides solutions that are not readily available online, but it seems like a decent book.

The book chapter titles are:
1) Sockets Programming (chat program)
2) Serial Communications (RS-232, Bluetooth, GPS)
3) Incorporating Fingerprint Recognition into Your .NET Apps
4) Infrared Programming
5) Fun with RFID (parallax RFID, phidgets RFID)
6) External Devices (webcam, parallax board of education, basic, and some ultrasonic sensor)

Alex
12-14-2007, 03:40 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You just made this geek's day fish!

Matt.... Can we stock this book? hehe;)

thanks!

jdolecki
12-16-2007, 04:50 PM
barns and noble in oakbrook does not stock it.

amazon.com has it

will trossen have a bookstore?

Matt
12-17-2007, 04:45 PM
>>> will trossen have a bookstore?

I think it's safe to say that one day we will, but there are many wish list items ahead of that right now. We have to budget how fast we add new SKUs and there are always a dozen robots and robot parts on that list that we know everyone wants. It's also hard to compete with the likes of Amazon.

So anyhow, someday we probably will, but not soon. :)

KaNdiiE
05-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Hi.

I'm currently working on a school major project, and my teacher had told me to try out on the projects in this book "Practical .NET 2.0 Networking Projects" by Wei-Meng Lee.
I'm now trying out the 1st project in Chapter 2, "Serial Communications", of the book. There's this part where I've to connect the PC with a handphone through bluetooth so that I can issue AT commands (pg84, 85 of the book). However my handphone just can't conenct with the PC whenever I try to pair them up.
I'd tried the serial chat with another PC for the earlier part of the project1 and it worked. I just can't figure out why my handphone doesn't work. The handsets that I'm using are Nokia N76 and Nokia 3250. And I'm using MS Visual Studio 2005 to run the project.

Does anyone know the solutions to this problem? Because I'm just exposed to all these new softwares, so I'm new to it.
Thanks!

Alex
05-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Could you could scan the pages you're talking about or give us links to some PDF's?

KaNdiiE
05-13-2008, 09:30 PM
http://books.google.com.sg/books?id=ccFURL5imssC&dq=practical+net+2.0+networking+projects&pg=PP1&ots=H1TSnqTskx&sig=DkXzKmCDjcv0gbD_e_KUny-LrnI&hl=en&prev=http://www.google.com.sg/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Dpractical%2B.net%2B2.0%2Bne tworking%2Bprojects&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title&cad=one-book-with-thumbnail#PPA84,M1

This is the link that contains the content of the book. The one that I'd problems with are at page 84 and 85.
Thanks!

Adrenalynn
05-14-2008, 12:08 AM
If you use Hyperterminal and try connecting to your phone handset with the same settings you're setting in code, does it work?

I would suspect port/cable/connection-setup problems. To eliminate those, use a known working communications application like HyperTerm that comes with Windows.

KaNdiiE
05-14-2008, 03:17 AM
I'd tried using HyperTerminal to test for the AT commands. It worked initially. It can tell me my handphone model number, signal strength and etc.
Later, I installed another bluetooth device software and then the whole thing started to get messed up till it can't work anymore. So I uninstall all the bluetooth programmes and just installed mine. Yet, the hyper terminal is still unable to work.

Is there any specific setting that I'd to set for my hyper terminal?

Adrenalynn
05-14-2008, 03:28 AM
If you can't get hyperterminal working, your code is never going to work. So that's at least a start.

I've found that bluetooth virtual com-port drivers are very touchy. The only ones I've ever had work reliably have been from BlueSoliel. Even those won't work on my Vista laptop consistantly.

Anyway, uninstalling the bluetooth hardware and drivers from control panel and starting over again with what you first had working might be the best direction to look in first. Either that or roll back to the original drivers in XP or Vista.

Regardless, your code isn't going to work until hyperterm works consistantly.

KaNdiiE
05-14-2008, 04:15 AM
I think that Bluetooth are quite sensitive. I'm afraid that because of me installing 2 bluetooth drivers into the PC that corrupt my hyperterminal.
Is there chances that my hyperterminal won't be able to work properly anymore unless I reformat the whole computer?

Adrenalynn
05-14-2008, 04:44 AM
Hyperterm has no tie to the drivers themselves. They're at a lower level where Hyperterm is at the application level.

The odds that a driver install fried hyperterm is probably similar to suspecting cosmic radiation of doing it. ;)

Alex
05-14-2008, 08:45 AM
I've found in the past that if I had more than one set of bluetooth drivers (or is it stack?) installed on my computer it gets all nasty and strange things start happening. I uninstalled all of the bluetooth related stuff, then reinstalled just one and I was fine. Well... aside from having the normal problems due to bluetooth being so moody.

Alex
05-14-2008, 09:18 AM
BTW, how are you trying to connect your phone to the PC? ie. are you using the .NET app or the Bluetooth software installed when you install the drivers?

Adrenalynn
05-14-2008, 10:54 AM
It appears he's going over the virtual com port.

Alex
05-14-2008, 11:12 AM
going over the virtual com port yes, but what is he (KaNdiiE => she?) using to connect to the phone is my question.:p

KaNdiiE
05-14-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm supposed to pair my handphone to my PC thru' the Bluetooth device that I'd installed into the PC.
Oh, and what's virtual com port by the way? Sorry, I'm really so ignorant about all these stuffs.

Alex
05-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Here's a link that might be able to help you better understand communication ports with your computer:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/serial-port.htm

Adrenalynn might be able to sum it up better than me. Sorry, I'm really crappy at defining "What is a ____" type questions:)

Adrenalynn
05-15-2008, 12:24 AM
I didnt look at Alex's linkage, so my apologies if I'm being redundant.

A com port (short for "communications") is a serial port. At the simplest, two wires (plus ground) - receive data and transmit data.

Bluetooth has a whole bunch of overhead, connection setup, etc. It doesn't really have a concept of two-wire communication - it's a network adapter with a full-fledged network stack at its heart.

What the stacks and drivers do is create a "virtual com port". It takes serial com-port data intended for a two-wire system and captures it in both directions, wrappers it up with the appropriate network protocol, headers, setup, etc, and then sends it out over the bluetooth network. On the receiver side, it unpackages it, decodes it, figures out where it was supposed to be heading, and sends it there.

There are other kinds of "virtual com ports". USB to Serial is an example of such (a virtual com port talking to the USB drivers bidirectionally), and even centronics parallel printer ports over USB - in that case it'd be called a "virtual lpt port" where "lpt" stands for "line printer"... But that's outside the scope of this rambling post.

Is that summary clear as mud? It's a bit simplistic, but I think it covers the salient questions.