PDA

View Full Version : Radar

jdolecki
12-29-2007, 08:45 AM
In my quest for long range sesors. I hit upon the idea or radar? From what i read the transmitted signal is high power due to small ammount of signal returning.

Has any body had any experence with small boat radar?

Can radar be used indoors?

Any comments?

DresnerRobotics
12-29-2007, 10:26 AM
I cant imagine radar being very accurate at that short of ranges, as its built for long range outdoor applications. You could accomplish pretty much the same with ultrasonic, with proven accuracy at short ranges.

Alex
01-02-2008, 11:56 AM
I've only known boats to use sonar for underwater detecting. Then again, I'm only going on the knowledge I gained from my "small boat on lakes" fishing trips years ago:) I never did any ocean fishing, so I have no clue what they use there.

Dave
02-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Hmm... Yeah, any long-range radar system would probably suck up a lot of power. However, for the sake of science, I think you should buy a marine radar rig and try it out.

DresnerRobotics
02-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Radar can be scary stuff, I know there were BURN WARNING signs around the one up top of the boat I worked on in Alaska when I was 16.

For smaller stuff, Ultrasonic does exactly what most need it to do anyway, not to mention power/cost is low.

Dave
02-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Radar can be scary stuff, I know there were BURN WARNING signs around the one up top of the boat I worked on in Alaska when I was 16.

Well yeah, I mean it's basically spewing out microwaves, so I imagine you wouldn't want to right up on it when it's running.