PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

musashi
01-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Hello robot-people! I am a new member.

Of course, I love robots too!

Quick background if you're bored enough to read it, lol.

X-navy, I was an electronic technician on a missile system, NATO Seasparrow. So technically I was a firecontrol man type electronic tech - same schooling, expect I played with missiles and not consoles only. I served from 96 to 02. I am completely oppossed to the current state of military affairs.

I will be getting my bachelors in pure mathematics in May from Stony Brook U. on Long Island. I was a transfer student who originally wanted to be a theoretical physicist, but the job isn't worth the headache or competition when I can learn it on my own and do a way cooler job like building robots and robot brains!

I lived in Japan for 4 of my 6 years in the Navy. I am a long time student of the language, but I would say at best I speak at the level of a pre-schooler, sad.

I am moving to Rochester NY to go to RIT next fall with my lovely wife (who loves robots too). I am very excited to be going to this awesome school. I will be changing over from math into computer science where I will focus on artificial intelligence and robotics.

Thanks for having me. I hope I will be able to contribute a lot in the coming times.

Sincerely

DresnerRobotics
01-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Welcome board Musashi!

Have any cool robot projects youre working on or planning? Feel free to share em over in the projects forum, we always like seeing new bots!

Take care.

musashi
01-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Thank you Tyberius!

No, no projects yet. I'm looking now to find a project actually. I've been very very theoretical for a long time, but I'm tired of all theory in life, and I have decided to make AI and robots my future.

I'll amg going to gradaute school for this next fall. So I'll definitely keep everyone upto date on my research if they like. It may turn out to be boring, but I certainly hope not.

I'm a long time fan of Short-Circuit too, and I think that might be a cool first project.

I have a few questions that I would like to ask everyone concerning education, but I'll put those in another post.

It's great to be here!

kdwyer
01-05-2008, 05:06 AM
Congrats on joining the rest of us demented geniuses. (You'll be sorry! LOL)
Yes, you haven't tasted true frustration until you've spent X dollars and XXX hours (?) on a project, only to see the magic smoke escape at the first application of power (never happened to me...) due to a failure to differentiate between "+" and "-"... (details, details.)
Johnny 5 ("Short Circuit") is a reachable goal. Whether you'll still have a wife and social life is another question.

"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration, which is why engineers sometimes smell really bad."

musashi
01-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Thank you kdwyer!

Oh I do know frustrations from when I use to trouble shoot for months that massive NATO Seasparrow system and the uber-pure math has always been frustrating, but this new frustration is a definitely welcome!

You think the Johnny 5 is doable that's great to hear. I'm curious about a few things about it. Please keep in mind I'm new but at least in theory I understand how things work.

I noticed that the sellers of it and I think (maybe I'm wrong) this is a relatively pro-Windows community. I'm a linux-nut. To each their own, but I'm curious how I'm going to interface with the robot. I believe I could use a program called Wine, but I've never had a need really. Maybe there are some linux programs for the control? or maybe writing a control program will be something I'll have to do?

I'm interested in the scaleability of the robot regarding vision. RIT where I'm going to is huge into computer vision, and with no question I'll be taking a bunch of courses in it. So I'm wondering about scaling it up to have a vision system vice a sonar system - I think it appears sonar is normal.

I'm totally sure I'll still have a wife after this project and she'll probably beg to help too. Since she loves robots as much as I do. I've never had a social life in college though, and I'm not going to start now, especially since I'm going to graduate school. A social life would ruin my plans lol.

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

DresnerRobotics
01-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Not too sure on linux compatibility with the SEQ lynxmotion software (stuff that comes with the johnny 5 kit)...

However as far as machine vision, be sure to check out Roborealm. I'm working with it right now on my Johnny 5 pico-itx project and its a great system to get started with. That said- not sure on linux compatibility with it either..

musashi
01-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks. I just found a page on the roborealm. I'll look at.

I'll look around to see what linux has on robotics. Probably not much. I'll probably have to help start or contribute to something. It's the way of that community.

Can I ask what equipment and tools I'll need to simply build the Johnny 5? or is there somewhere I can I look for this?

Thanks. I'll try to put an order in for it this week sometime.

JonHylands
01-06-2008, 12:47 PM
All my advanced robots use Linux onboard. I've been using a gumstix (http://www.gumstix.com) for some of them, and recently got my hands on a Hammer (http://www.tincantools.com) to play with. Future plans include using a mini-itx running Linux for a really powerful biped.

For the gumstix/Hammer robots, I mainly use either a serial port, or plug in an FT-232 to the USB host port.

MicroSeeker (http://www.huv.com/uSeeker) - gumstix/serial
MicroRaptor (http://www.bioloid.info/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=MicroRaptor) - Hammer/USB
BrainBot (http://www.bioloid.info/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=BrainEngineering+BrainBot) - gumstix/USB

- Jon

musashi
01-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks Jon.

It's good to see Linux involved. I'll check those sites out. Do you do academic robotics?

That's a good question for forever one, do any of you happen to be professors or researchers? If not, may I ask everyone what they do for a living? Just curious.

Alex
01-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Can I ask what equipment and tools I'll need to simply build the Johnny 5? or is there somewhere I can I look for this?

The Johnny 5 is a kit available from Lynxmotion:

http://www.lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=103

We sell a ton of Lynxmotion stuff (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/m/lynxmotion.aspx) too, but we don't carry the Johnny 5 yet.

I've never had a social life in college though, and I'm not going to start now, especially since I'm going to graduate school. A social life would ruin my plans lol.

ahh.... the life of the engineer, haha! I was the same way in school. It definitely helped that I went to DeVry and there weren't a lot of ladies around to distract me.

Welcome to the community musashi:)

JonHylands
01-07-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm not an academic at all - I got my bachelor's in Computer Science, but since then I've been a working stiff (software development), with robotics as a hobby (and slowly shifting to a business)...

- Jon

musashi
01-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Cool. Thanks for the welcomes and info.