PDA

View Full Version : Education question

musashi
01-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi again. Here's an education question.

Here's a my goal. To be an all round serious AI researcher and Roboticist.

Here's my education.

I was an electronic technician in the Navy. So I have basically a 2 yr education in that, but it's technician work not engineering.

I will have a bachelors in pure math. My math is all the way up into graduate math. I have taken almost the entire first two years of an electrical engineering major also.

I will have in a couple of years a masters in computer science in Ai and robotics.

My question is regarding a second bachelors. I don't care about the degree per se, but I do care about have a serious education and being a serious researcher.

Would it be absurd to complete a second bachelors in the next 5 to 6 years in mechatronics while I do my masters and PH.d?

And here's another question if you could answer please. Do you have or know anyone with a second bachelors?

Thanks!

JonHylands
01-11-2008, 06:55 AM
A bachelor's degree is just a piece of paper that tells prospective employers that you know how to learn stuff. The only piece of paper that is worth anything in the research world is a PhD. If you want to do mechatronics, teach yourself. Figure out what they are teaching in the courses you would take, and just learn the stuff yourself.

I thought about going back to school to get a PhD, given the research I'm doing. But I just can't stomach the whole "paper-craze" that seems to infect the research world.

- Jon

musashi
01-11-2008, 08:37 AM
I think you're right. It seems daunting to teach myself that much. But everyone I've talked to has had similar advice.

I support the idea of you getting a PH.d. And I've got a good appreciation of not liking the "paper-craze". It will probably be the thing that drives me nuts.

Alex
01-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Jon too. A bachelor's degree is nice to have, but it is just a piece of paper proving that you have the ability to learn about things. After the bachelor's degree, unless someone else is paying for the second bachelor's of course, it's really a waste of money to go back and get another one.

Being an electronics technician in the Navy and working on a bachelor's degree in Math in addition to the EE courses you've taken, you have far beyond proven to yourself that you have the ability and discipline enough to learn new stuff, so just pick up some books and learn whatever your heart desires:) Then, if you really want to, there are a ton of certificates that you can get out there, proving your knowledge in particular areas to employers if that was your intent.

I definitely support the idea of getting a PH.d and masters though. Just be sure someone else pays for them:)