View Full Version : Squiggle Actuators

jdolecki
01-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Perfect for that micro robot

http://www.newscaletech.com/squiggle_overview.html

Alex
01-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Pretty ingenious, yet simple concept:D

Good find jdolecki! I can totally see micro robots coming out with using these "squiggle" actuators for their joints.

I love the name, squiggle, too funny!

What are everyone else's thoughts on some applications for these actuators?

DresnerRobotics
01-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Depends how fast they are really, if they're super slow then I don't know how well they could be applied to modern robotics... however if they're fairly quick you essentially have a very small linear actuator. The next question is, how much can they lift?

If they're fast enough, and strong enough, they could make the basis for a very cool micro walker.

Matt
01-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Soooooo cool. I suppose I just love small things like this. I would see about carrying them here for the store, but without even looking I know they are out of the price range we like to stay in. Still, it would be cool to use these to make an itty bitty roboarm!

MYKL
02-13-2008, 03:56 PM
If the little video there of it moving a load up an incline is an indication of speed I'd certainly be interested in trying one. My concern is the electronics required to activate the little pizio motor. Is it huge compared to the actuator? How much power does it consume?

This would be awesome for my hand assemblies!

OEM or Lab?

I guess my kitchen table is a Lab of sorts and my bot certainly could be described as original...

^_^

jrowe47
02-13-2008, 05:01 PM
The data sheets indicate 300 mW for operating power, ~30 grams stall force, and speed of 7 mm/s.

They sell controllers, too:

Controller MC-4100-1.8 MC-4100-3.4 LC drive circuit with ASIC
Input voltage 2.5 to 3.8 VDC 2.5 to 4.5 VDC 2.2 to 3.5 VDC
Dimensions 33 x 38 x 10 mm ~ 10 x 10 mm

Anyone know what they cost?

JimH
02-13-2008, 09:17 PM
How about using them as facial controls for larger robots? Most of the effects portions of larger units are limited by the size of the actuators needed to do things like lift an eyebrow, pull back the cheeks for a smile, etc.

MYKL
02-14-2008, 11:14 AM
When animatronics and robotics meld into a symbiotic conglomeration of art and engineering the 'bots will transcend from garage hobby to mainstream entertainment. How freakin' fun will that be?!

A couple of latex skinned gladiators duking it out with real swords, hammers, saws...

Much more fun than watching an inverted lawnmower munch up somebodies dune buggy.

^_^