PDA

View Full Version : Did someone break the Internet last night?

Alex
01-23-2008, 08:36 AM
I know this is totally unrelated to robotics, but...

Did anyone have problems with the Internet last night? The strangest thing happened to me.

I got off of work, went home, connected to the Internet. Then, I tried logging into my Gmail account... nothing, couldn't do it. Then, I tried to run a search on Google, no problems at all. I'm working on the side developing a website. Well, I went to the website and everything loaded up just fine. I tried to upload some files to the server using various methods... nothing, can't do it. Then, I tried checking out Trossen Robotics. I was able to visit the main site just fine (trossenrobotics.com), but I couldn't access the forums. really strange... Then I checked blog.trossenrobotics.com, that loaded up just fine.

Today though, I'm at work now and everything is working just fine.... really freakin strange.

DresnerRobotics
01-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Sounds like your ISP might have been having issues, and your PC was pulling webpages from cache. Would explain why you could pull up some frequently visited sites, yet not do things like upload or validate credentials for gmail.

edit: wait, didn't see the part about the google search.... hrmm. Well you had some connectivity. Perhaps your ISP had their DNS go down. Happens more then you think (I constantly am chasing down ISP support for my clients, as my clients tend to blame me for all things computer related, my fault or not)

Alex
01-23-2008, 09:15 AM
I'll be the first one to admit that I don't know much when it comes to troubleshooting networking issues, but surprising to me, that is exactly what I thought too. So that's why I cleared everything in Firefox (ctrl + alt + del) and selected every checkbox. But I still had the same exact problems afterwords, like I said, really strange...

So, I take it you had no problem connected to the forums or anything last night?

DresnerRobotics
01-23-2008, 09:26 AM
I did not, however since we are in different regions, we probably have different Internet Service Providers. Even if we had the same ISP, we'd be on a different sub network and your service would not necessarily reflect mine.

I also have Verizon FIOS (Fiber Optic Service) which in the 18 months or so that I've had it, has never once dropped service. Not to mention its over twice the speed of cable at its fastest /flex

numnumnum 15mb connection :D

Alex
01-23-2008, 09:59 AM
I also have Verizon FIOS (Fiber Optic Service) which in the 18 months or so that I've had it, has never once dropped service. Not to mention its over twice the speed of cable at its fastest /flex

numnumnum 15mb connection :D

WOW! I'm jealous:) I just checked verizon for availability and got this:

Verizon FiOS Internet Service is not currently available for your address. Our network is continually being expanded, and we don't want you to miss the opportunity to get this state-of-the-art Internet service. With Verizon FiOS Internet Service, you'll be able to make advantage of the most advanced applications on the Web today - and ensure you're ready for the next generation of Internet applications.
Please fill out the form below and we will let you know when Verizon Online broadband service becomes available for your address.

DresnerRobotics
01-23-2008, 10:09 AM
The communication companies did a VERY smart thing- struck a deal with the govt and laid down fiber optic throughout a lot of the northwest (specifically, portland/vancouver area and I believe Seattle) about 10-15 years ago, and it laid dormant until they had the technology to really use it. Thus, we're benefiting from having a nice head start on the infrastructure :D

Govt also got their own free, private fiber network in the NW as part of the deal. (I worked IT for the govt for a bit after the big Intel layoffs ;p)