PDA

View Full Version : [Contest Entry] PosterBot: The Writing Robot

wworld
02-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I modified an iRobot Create to make this little fella who writes with a paint marker I bought at the craft store.

http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FMZ/7O89/F5Y3YTVY/FMZ7O89F5Y3YTVY.MEDIUM.jpg

Check him out (http://www.instructables.com/id/PosterBot%3a-Make-a-Marker-Writing-Robot-out-of-an-O/) where I originally posted him.

There are more videos on the step 7 page.

Let me know what you think,

Wyatt Felt
[email protected]

Dave
02-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Neato. How do you control the position of the print head, just by timing? Also, how long did it take to print the Instructables poster?

Alex
02-06-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm really curious on how you went about designing this project too! Could you post a rundown of your project (parts you used, how you built it, obstacles overcame, etc.) here?

wworld
02-07-2008, 06:35 PM
I just got an old ink-jet from the computer store i work at and tore out the carriage. I had a bunch of old motors from RC cars and VCR's and stuff. I wasn't even sure what it was going to write with, I just went to the craft store figuring I could find something. (those paint markers turned out to be perfect).
It's impractical, just writing out "instructables.com" took over a half an hour. The trouble is I needed the carriage to move in discreet steps so that it wouldn't get of after a long white space.
The head just moves by timing (it took forever to calibrate). I originally wanted to do some kind of linear position sensor or sliding potentiometer, but it was all to complicated and wasn't in my budget (~$60).
Another major challenge was that when the carriage reset it would torque the wheel base and the robot would write in a big arc. I just manually overrode that by having it drive in an opposite arc. but it was never really perfect.
I'm actually suprised it turned out as cool as it did, it's certainly not what I imagined it would be when i started.

Zenta
02-13-2008, 10:14 AM
HI!

Nice project. I must say this PosterBot gave me an idea ;)

Keep up the good work!