PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

robologist
06-19-2009, 01:10 AM
Hey Jose, good to see you here! Not sure you remember, this is Dave from the Dallas robot folks, we emailed a bit a while back. Glad to see your still working on things. I don't get to the get-togethers over there much, but the folks there would always welcome you. Have fun here! Let's see what you've been working on!

DresnerRobotics
06-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Great to see all these new people showing up! Welcome!

Feel free to post away with any questions or projects you have :)

darkback2
06-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi All,

For some time worked on designing robotic cameras but to be honest my mechanical side is simply put, BAD! Where I can easily design electronic application that work, I can only design mechanical implementations that break. But am always learning and am certain that will be able to learn from you all. Hopefully can share some of my knowledge on microcontroller programming as well as motion control.

The cool part about robotics, and this forum, is that there are all types here, and people seam more than willing to share their skills to help others with their deficits. I for one am bad at electronics and programming...heck I'm not even really good on the mechanical front either...but with everyone here propping me up I can more than get by!

Welcome to the forum everyone.

DB

engineer
06-19-2009, 06:32 PM
great to have you guy's join the eggheads here were getting to me since I just know how to break stuff. And another iundustrial electrician, wow! now we can build indestructo

moodchannel
06-29-2009, 11:42 PM
howdy y'all!

my name is jeremy and I head a development team building financial reporting software.

but that sh*t is boooorrrrinnnggg!

what I really enjoy is building max/msp patches to help me cheat at making music! I've been working with electronic music for about 11 years... and with max for about 7.

these days I've been getting into building my own midi controllers. first using a miditron... then by hacking a joystick... and now I'm super excited about the prospect of using phidget to execute some projects I have in mind!

I'm also interested in embedded systems in general... and gettin' crazy with RGB LEDs!

if you're interested in hearing some ambientish electronic music... check out my site: http://www.themoodchannel.com

anyways... I'll be checkin' stuff out and asking people questions!

Adrenalynn
06-30-2009, 12:27 AM
Welcome to the forum!

You'll want to hook up with Darkback2 here - he's the resident Max/MSP guy. He uses it for just about everything - even controlling Mech Warfare Mechs.

Again - welcome aboard!

edburdo
07-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Name: Eric Burdo
Hobbies: LEGO Robotics, and various hobby robotics (all sorts of stuff).

I have a blog where I post various findings, and new stuff. I'm a programmer by trade, mostly in the Microsoft .NET world (itching to get into the .NET Micro framework).

Peter Adu
07-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Hello potential code 23 allies, I am Peter and 29 yrs from Huddersfield in England. I have given myself the title of Architect of Charitable Enterprise (A.C.E.) because it accurately describes what I have been up to and what my intentions for a robotics company are.

We can discuss what makes it charitable as soon as I connect with you.

Right now I am having designed a production ready electronic travel aid for the blind and will use the money to develop my social enterprise is called The C.O.R.E. Engineering Millennial Kingdom.

I have no expertise with technology of this nature but you may so I wish employ your expertise in making this idea I have work which is why I have joined this community

I will post details of my on the cheap site soon which describes the idea I have.

shimon
07-09-2009, 05:09 PM
i am excited about robotics, i am programmer near 10 years, i work in web development PHP , HTML.
i like to imagine and invent and do good for the world :)

dineshkumar_erd
07-16-2009, 07:20 AM
hi guys,

It is a great pleasure for me to introduce myself to you guys... I'm Dineshkumar from a small village in India (Indien), now i'm doing my final year Bachelor's of Engineering from a local college so called, Nandha Engineering college (Affiliated to Anna University, Chennai), i'm very much interested in robotics...

This interest came to me due to my laziness, i'm very much lazy even to pick up a cup of Tee in my childhood, this thing made me to think why don't a slave take care of me with out spending more money...

There comes the automation, well....Artificial Intelligence & Robotics... Now i'm trying to get the seat for Master of Science in Robotics, Cognition & Intelligence from TUM @ Munechen, Next year. I'm learning german(duetsch) also few about robotics meanwhile i got this community/forum / whateer you call as it is...

I expect few ideas for my creature, i found wall-e robot too over her, which is one among my imaginary product to the world...

I hope i'll improve myself and serve others through my knowledge through this site...

Dineshkumar

Noodle
07-17-2009, 06:12 AM
hi guys,

It is a great pleasure for me to introduce myself to you guys... I'm Dineshkumar from a small village in India (Indien), now i'm doing my final year Bachelor's of Engineering from a local college so called, Nandha Engineering college (Affiliated to Anna University, Chennai), i'm very much interested in robotics...

This interest came to me due to my laziness, i'm very much lazy even to pick up a cup of Tee in my childhood, this thing made me to think why don't a slave take care of me with out spending more money...

There comes the automation, well....Artificial Intelligence & Robotics... Now i'm trying to get the seat for Master of Science in Robotics, Cognition & Intelligence from TUM @ Munechen, Next year. I'm learning german(duetsch) also few about robotics meanwhile i got this community/forum / whateer you call as it is...

I expect few ideas for my creature, i found wall-e robot too over her, which is one among my imaginary product to the world...

I hope i'll improve myself and serve others through my knowledge through this site...

Dineshkumar
Willkommen bei Trossen Robotics!

gaurav.p
07-18-2009, 12:33 AM
hello to all robotic nerds(which i m too).well i jus very new to robotics.i hav a good experence in it.in our local competition i had won the third prize and 12000rs(240$).the project was the same as the problem statement of robocup 2007 in rescue category .i m now 14 and i m very interested in robotics and i love making and seing the projects of different ppl.well this is my last year of school so i will be rarely present but will tyr to come and participate in differnt field .i m obviously single:veryhappy:.i hav made the 50$ robot which is thr in www.societyofrobots.com(ger8 site):cool:and i m very in terested in participating different competition .well tat's a lot fr this time and feel free to contact me.so lastly THIS IS ME(I M WHAT I AM):wink::rolleyes::D;):p:p:):robotindifferent::ma d::robotsurprised:

PS-SRY FR MY BAD GRAMMAR

darkback2
07-18-2009, 12:42 AM
what I really enjoy is building max/msp patches to help me cheat at making music! I've been working with electronic music for about 11 years... and with max for about 7.

these days I've been getting into building my own midi controllers. first using a miditron... then by hacking a joystick... and now I'm super excited about the prospect of using phidget to execute some projects I have in mind!

Yeah!!! a fellow MAX/MSP user. Awesome! Welcome to the forum.

DB

kboyd
07-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Hi!

kboyd here - a nickname that strangely predates it's usage as a computer id! Not that I'm old or anything. But I did grow up watching my dad make punch card readers out of shoe boxes and coat hangers... just to prove a point!

Yep, I grew up with Apple IIs, TRS-80s, PETs, Vic-20s, TIs, C64s, Amigas, Macs, XTs, ATs - the whole lot of them. Not to mention the greatest toy ever invented - the 150-in-one electronics kit!!! :veryhappy: </ramble> (good luck hoping that flag works!)

In any case, this is a great forum, so I thought I would say hi.

Wazio
08-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Hello,
My name is Chad and I am here to learn about the mech area of robotic combat. I have been involved with Combat robots for about 10 years now and am looking forward to combining my favorite game of all time and my hobby. Here are a few pictures of some of the bots that I have built:http://www.buildersdb.com/view_team_bots.asp?teamid=444 (http://www.buildersdb.com/view_team_bots.asp?teamid=444) , I have build threads and better pictures and such however but im here to learn about a different kind of robot. I am not intimidated by the actual build of the bot however the reason I am here is to learn about all the electronic goodies that are inside, how to program and create a servo control, how to link my computer with the bot, how to drive it with a joystick, ECT. . . I figured this would be a good place to start. Anybody else in here from the Las Vegas area?

gdubb2
08-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Hey Chad..My friend..

Where ya been, Good to see you here, Welcome.
There's a lot of good info here, and a bunch of great people.

Gary
Team Maggot

Wazio
08-05-2009, 06:33 AM
Gary,
Holy crap! How the heck have you been??? I was reading your build report thinking to myself that your screen name sure sounded familiar and that the 2nd place guy looked a lot like you in the video. Glad to see that I have a friend that made the transition. I have been thinking about what I want to build, that Phoenix kit sure looks nice but the price tag about sent me over the edge, if I had one to look at I could get those parts made for probably $100. Sheesh...

astrospud
08-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Hi all,
I live in South Australia. I am a CAD drafter during the day (building services), and when I'm home, I play computer games, build models that fly, roll and ones that just sit on the shelf.
Married nearly 10 years, no kids, so I have time to devote to my interests. :D
I have recently become very interested in robotics, looking to build a J5 type machine, but I probably will start simpler, although I would like to build a semi autonomous garden caddy - don't worry, the concepts cooler that the name suggests!
I am a rank noob, when it comes to robots and programming, though. I have bought several books in order to steer me in the right direction, but I have joined your wonderful forum to seek help that I can't find in those pages!:p Nice imoticons, btw!

I'll be posting soon with my first questions!

Cheers.

jes1510
08-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Welcome new folks!

xx2747
08-09-2009, 12:05 AM
wow this is a long thread!

Hello, I'm Jack, and I like robots - especially humanoids. I think they are very useful-I mean, what other form of robot could do everything we can do? A lawn mowing robot wouldn't be able to do the dishes and a dishwashing robot wouldn't be able to mow the lawn. Or walk your dog. Or help you up when you fall. Or walk up and down stairs. Or...(you get the point). We humans are, in my opinion, the greatest design of all and a robot of this form is simply awesome.:happy:

Anyway, I got a bit carried away there about humanoids and I should tell about me. I am a 14 (and almost a half!) year old student just about to go into high school(yay!) and I have an interest in robotics. My dream is to develop and sell humanoids that will be affordable and effective. The iRobot's Roomba is my inspiration - someday humanoids will be affordable like that. Sure the most capable robots such as the ASIMO cost a million bucks to make but I'm pretty sure roomba didn't start out as a 200 dollar robot prototype either...

Also, I like soccer and I have been playing the trumpet for 3 years. I like my school (go Knights) and my family. I attended the robogames and lost in the humanoid event but oh well, losing a part of learning. I live in the state of Washington, the evergreen state, and here's me

RevBryce
08-15-2009, 06:24 PM
My turn for an intro.
G`day I`m Bryce .
Ok maybe a bit more is needed.
I`m based in Melbourne ,Australia. As for work my title is Maintance manger
for a packaging company, was a family run bussiness untill last xmas.
The new boss (not the same as the old boss..go the Who) has also lumped
design onto me aswell but this is good.
The reason for i`m telling you this is because what i do is thermoform
plastics.Everything from antistatic componant trays to blisters for cosmetics.
The cool thing is that i have a factory full of differant materials to play with.
Poly carb ,ABS,HIPS,PVC,stuff with rust inhiberters built in and stuff to keep food
fresh.
I make my own tooling and patterns when needed and get to mess with every thing
from 20 year old step logic controllers and relays to the more modern PLC`s.
Thats how i make money.
For fun ,well it gets a bit more varied.
Blacksmithing.armouring.weapons.casting metals.leather work. chainmaile
Jewlery, gem cutting, mining(opals),theatre tech and special effects and lighting,
band roady,rockclimbing and absailing (used to teach scouts), motor mechanics
cars,bikes and boats,RC planes ,cars and helis,archery, glass work,saxaphone,
have played with the movie industry both acting and camera,animals,books.
shooting and explosives.felting.
Then we get to electronics,computers, a bit of programing and then robots
which i`ve built on and off since primary school.
Oh and this year i`m at that age where you go "hmmmm am i supposed to feel
old now?'
My partner is doing PHD in geophysics and has promised when she gets to work
i get to be a kept man and finaly go to uni for a degree or two.
At the moment i`m teaching myself cad and cnc stuff.

http://shed-of-doom.blogspot.com .http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WxWkv6yyWGE/SOB58zMsRnI/AAAAAAAAAFU/Na1m2Ha6Fj0/s1600-h/IMAG0013.JPG

victinlauria
09-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Hi everyone.
my name is victor and i'm from brazil.
i love building robots. i have participated in one autonomous robots competition a few years ago with team from my university.
i'll soon be an engineer, my project just need to evaluated by the board of professors.
i have some cool ideas for robots that i intend to build as soon as i finish my degree.
it'll be nice to share what i know and i think i can learn a lot from you guys :)

and this is me playing with a beginners kit a few years ago.
http://images.orkut.com/orkut/photos/OgAAANWcFO3_MgWew7ZegLWRqNfz0lpBUSDHK4K0TIffiKWv92 2jXFIIcjB5jXayS0-VS6GdFMJcsgoVPHGlaLCSVD4Am1T1ULKF7NUQVUrEc3NZqHBrc Ht4ErPW.jpg

newbot
09-02-2009, 11:59 AM
my name is newbot.i am interested in transforming bots into androids. i am also interested in making robotic aids for the blind.i do not know where to begin.and now i have a place to talk.

darkback2
09-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Welcome all to the forum. Can't wait to see all the cool bots you post about!

Db

marsman
09-04-2009, 05:05 AM
Hi everyone,

just got my account here in order to share some of my experience as well as gaining from yours. About myself, my passport says I am a German citizen but I live for several years already in Beijing. Now I am joining this US-based robot-forum, so I guess I best describe myself as a citizen of this internet-connected planet earth.
My project started harmless with a little request from my (then 7 year old) son. "Daddy, do we want to build an R2D2?" Why not, I promptly replied not knowing what I was talking about. Well, some years later I came to a point where I could call it "initial test stage" (see picture). The hardware includes 2 independent motors in the feet to move, 2 motors which rotate the arms and ankles so that he can switch from 3-leg mode to a 2-leg mode (in the R2 Builders Yahoo Group labelled as 2-3-2 function). Furthermore it has motors for head-rotation, and some more.
So I bought myself a Roboard (www.roboard.com) to control all this. The servo electronic is self-build and so are all other electronic parts in the head of R2. So far, I managed to install an Ubuntu 9.04 on the Roboard, configured the graphic card, and even enabled the LAN. That all thanks to kboyd's great tutorials here in this forum. Now, I think I'm on my own in order to get the first servos moving or is anyone of you also working with the Roboard?
Cheers from Marsman

jes1510
09-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Welcome aboard guys! Marsman, you should start a thread about the R2D2 project. I'm sure everyone would like to know more.

Snagaslas
09-07-2009, 01:15 AM
Hello everyone!

I&#180;m the newest addition here it seems, and it&#180;s nice to be here! I&#180;m currently thinking about starting up robotics again I haven&#180;t done it for quite some time perhaps 5 years my old BOE rogue BOT ain&#180;t much to say hooray for any more (just needs a bit of sensors i guess).

Not much to say, I work with IT love robots and AI and I bought a htc hero phone this fridays instead of a bot. (I think it&#180;s a better thing to atm)

Macro Man
09-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum and the thing said I should introduce my self so this is it.

I've enjoyed looking at this forum a few times (especially the photo logs etc) but never joined, so it's about time. I've had a strong interest in bots ever since I was a little kid and saw Star Wars, and over the years I have worked with a lot of stuff including microcontrollers, PICs etc, electronics hardware, motors and hardware etc. Pretty much anything with wires in it i've either fixed, built, or at least looked at with amazement. ;)

I'm kinda retired at the moment but do some tinkering, building little bots, cool circuits and gadgets, programming (C and asm) or whatever.

I like the way this forum has a photo gallery section and my new robot is going to be a bit of a "work under construction" for a while so that will be cool I can post some pictures of it there, and updates as the bot develops (provided I work out how to post pics).

Well that's me. :)
Macro

rebel
09-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Hello,

My name is rob. I am 36 years old. I am in the US Army, 12 years in, 8 more to go. I have been working on robotics projects for at least ten years. Currently working on 2 platforms. One for mech-warfare and one for fun. Just started using the Axon controller. Used the bot board and ssc-32 before. Building a robot that looks allot like the riffleman for the battletech series. And the other is a gorilla type bot. :p

Adrenalynn
09-11-2009, 03:21 AM
Rebel, welcome aboard! And thank you for your service!

How far along have you gotten with the Axon?

rebel
09-12-2009, 03:07 AM
I have got the programs down for walking, one fast(with long strides) and one slow. Use to the bot board and ssc-32 from lynxmotion. There is a little info on SoR web to help out, but I am slowly getting to the point where I was with the other boards. There seems to be allot of potential with the board.

:p

Stephen
09-22-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm Stephen, current student of AI and robotics, and the reason I am now here. Hoping for some good advice over in the 'somewhat-newbie' forum! I'm a software developer studying for a degree in AI and robotics in my 'spare' time. I'm heavily into the more scientific research side of things. Thus far I've been using a basic LEGO kit and it's now time for an upgrade for more serious current and future research.

I have neither a decent picture of myself or of a monkey with my name on it. Sorry! :D

Adrenalynn
09-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Welcome aboard, Stephen!

sam
09-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Welcome to the forum Stephen and rebel!

Wish you the best in your projects!:)

Sam

robodork
09-26-2009, 01:43 PM
I just discovered this forum a few days ago and decided to join. I'm still a n00b when it comes to robotics in general, but tinker as often as I can. I have a BSEE from Clemson University and I was the team leader for the university's 2008 SoutheastCon Hardware Competition Team. I did most of the actual hardware on the 2009 team as well. The facets of robotics I have some experience in are hardware prototyping, embedded programming, circuit development, power regulation, controls (hardware and software), and computer vision software. I currently work on radar systems as an engineer for Uncle Sam's Navy. I have been married since April 2000 to ye olde high school sweetheart, although she's not that much of a nerd (she's a high school math teacher). We have been living in Virginia Beach, VA since June. We are both originally from upstate SC.

My hobbies that don't require electricity are fly fishing, backpacking, mountain biking, and anything that goes "boom", "bang", "pow", or otherwise launches a projectile that can be aimed reliably. I'm a pretty big fan of anything that can be done in the mountains and/or away from the masses. Although I lack a DSLR camera, I'm enjoy taking photographs with them.

edburdo
09-27-2009, 06:08 AM
Hi robodork,

Sounds like you have a good start in the Robotics field then. Now, let's see what you can design that goes "boom" "bang" and "pow" while operating autonomously. :)

sam
09-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Welcome to the forum robodork! :)

Sam

fr33k
09-29-2009, 06:17 PM
hi all im the fr33k.

Suicidal.Banana
10-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Hey all,

Im Suicidal.Banana, 23 years old, i work in webdevelopment, live in the netherlands right on the edge of amsterdam, and only recently figured i could afford my live long dream, building/having robots!

I bought a bioloid comprehensive kit a few months back, build a few of the simpler robots, couldn't resist and fast-forwarded to building the humanoid. Since then i just played with it from time to time, making custom motions and behavior trough the default software & CM5.
Now i've decided its been a default humanoid long enough, and that i should try and make the best possible humanoid that a bioloid kit can produce, been ordering parts all over the web, most recent beeing the arbotiX board over in the trossen shop, at wich point i decided i should register here.

I dont have alot of experience with electronics (apart from maybe 3 classes about it a few years back) however im always eager to learn, coding doesnt appear to be a problem, i've seen a whole bunch of different bioloid librarys, im sure one will suit my needs.

Im happy to be aboard and will be posting about my project(s) as they go along

sam
10-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Welcome Suicidal.Banana and fr33k!

Hope you like it here.

zhanx
10-08-2009, 12:48 PM
i guess i am a n00b. I wield a multimeter just as well as a wrench. Building my first robot. Decided to under take a good size project at once. octopod with 4DOF. and i had to research what DOF meant. Found this board and learn of Inverse kinematics. which is cool.

did i say that i got my first micro controller just about 20 days ago?

don't worry i know enough to be dangerous to everyone around me but not myself.

oh i am from the united states. my past times include lifting weights, running, and hiking large mounds of dirt and rock.

anything i missed?

sisoski
10-24-2009, 01:33 PM
hi everybody

mpstech
10-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Hello Everone
I am a 23 year veteran of the embedded hardware/software arena. Thanks to our fantastic economy I have been laid off for three months for the first time in 23 years. I also do CNC machining and conversion from my garage and basement lab/shop. I am extremely interested in robotics especially those used in manufacturing. Don't have any projects going right now but have a few in mind. If anybody is looking for parts or even small circuit boards to be machined by all means send me a private message. I am located in the Northwest Chicago burbs in Algonquin Illinois. Glad to be a part of your site !

Mike

nagmier
10-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Welcome to all the New folks!!!!

Eric
10-28-2009, 12:45 PM
I am located in the Northwest Chicago burbs in Algonquin Illinois.

Welcome fellow Chicagoland engineer!

Spartan001
10-28-2009, 12:56 PM
My name is Zachary whitford I am 14 years old, i enjoy building robots (am currently working on a sumobot) I am going into high school and live in the state of new york. I am homeschooled and love to post instructables and look at the robots people build:D:D:D:D

marcdimmick
10-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Hi, my name is Marc Dimmick and I have just join this forum. I am new into the area of robotics and have been doing a bit of research in to which kit I should purchase. I have now decided to wait for the Premium Bioloid Kit for when it comes out. I believe it will be sometime Nov 09. That was as per an Australian site. I must thank Alex for his assistance to date and look forward to learning a lot more. I am 51 and just a big kid who is fasinated with technology. I have worked in IT for over 25 years and Robotics is something I have always wanted to get into. I started with the robotic kit which came in a magazine format over a period of 52 weeks where I built a couple of simple robots but now I want to move into humaniod kits.

Big Dutch
10-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi All,

Since so many here have introduced themselves (and I read all 55 pages of it!) I thought I would crawl from under my rock onto a soap box for a moment. :D

My name is Edwin van Doorn and I'm a Dutch dude living in Southern California. I have a constant itch to be creative and an uncontrollable urge to learn.

I'm a Mechanical Enginerd (BSME) with a specialty in Mechatronics. I've worked as a designer of production and test equipment for CD production and mastering, contact lenses, glasses, and medical products (e.g. balloons, stents and guide wires) and I've worked with CAD systems like Pro/E, SaladWorks (current) and AutoCAD. I have a pretty extensive experience with pneumatics and I have worked with optics, lasers, motors and all sorts of sensors. However, I couldn't put a decent electronics schematic together if my life depended on it. Since I got my Master's in Business I've been making my living as the operations manager of an engineering company (kinda like the company clown, I keep everyone entertained) but I'm still very much hands on in all aspects of engineering.

Before my mechanical degree I became a certified application programmer in COBOL (a language for business use of which I'm sure many haven't even heard here) but in my programming days I've also tinkered in Turbo Pascal, Basic and assembler.

I've done a little bit of machining and I love building stuff from scratch. Overall I'm really a Jack of all trades but a king of none... Other things I enjoy doing in life are: R/C boat modeling (with lots of functional stuff), airbrush art, playing guitar, working out, riding my scooter (2003 HD Heritage Springer), SCUBA diving and I enjoy playing with computers. Oh, and I almost forgot... I'm married to my wonderful wife Denise who doesn't have a clue yet about my hanging out here <sssst> otherwise I would be in trouble for expanding my hobby in yet another direction instead of doing chores.

OK, I'll step down from my soap box and crawl back under my rock for now. I still have a question about micro controllers but I'll post that in the appropriate section of the forum.

Groetjes (Dutch for Kind Regards),
Edwin

Adrenalynn
10-30-2009, 12:09 AM
IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
PROGRAM-ID. WELCOME-EDWIN.
AUTHOR. ADRENALYNN.
ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
DATA DIVISION.
WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
01 NAME PIC X(25).
PROCEDURE DIVISION.
MAIN-STREET.
MOVE 'EDWIN VAN DOORN' TO NAME.
DISPLAY 'WELCOME TO THE TRC ' NAME.
STOP RUN.

Been awhile, but I think that'll suffice as a welcome... ;)

Big Dutch
10-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the welcome Adrenalynn but... did you have to bring that up? ;)

COBOL was supposedly a good language to learn structure and accuracy... as if I didn't have that before :robotindifferent:

Adrenalynn
10-30-2009, 12:59 PM
You brought it up, I just capitalized on it. :tongue:

And I hadn't written any COBOL since '98, so what the heck. ;)

Lars
11-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Hello!

My name is Lars, and I'm from Holland. I am 24 years old and I am a newbie in this section of technology, but I am very interesting in hexapod robotics!
First I want to say that my English language is not so good, but I'll do my best to make it readable for you all..

Normally I am busy with radio control models, like 1:6 cars and helicopters. It interests me a lot also, so I am working with servo's for a long time and I think I can say that I am advanced in using servo's.
I have seen a lot of movies on the internet about robots and I was getting interested in your hobby. I have searched a lot on google on names and products, so I found this forum but also Trossen and on lynxmotion, and now I am here.

I am very interested in the Hexapod Phoenix that is on the market. Maybe soon I want to buy an build it, but I have one problem. The problem is, that I'm not so specialized with computers...
So maybe I want to make a RC controlled Hexapod Phoenix.

Thnx!
Lars

darkback2
11-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Hey Lars,

Welcome to the forum.

While on the one hand I think the phoenix is a bit much to bite off as your first chew...There is plenty of support on this site. Check out the ultimate phoenix thread (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1767&highlight=ultimate+phoenix). Also you might want to get a grip on working with servo controllers like the SSC-32 or even the boebot first. I got a walker too early myself, and spent a long time letting it sit on a shelf before I finally learned enough to use it.

Also I think Lynxmotion has a lot of support on working with the phoenix also (http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build139.htm).

Hope this helps, and good luck with your projects!

DB

DresnerRobotics
11-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Hey Lars,

Welcome to the forum.

While on the one hand I think the phoenix is a bit much to bite off as your first chew...There is plenty of support on this site. Check out the ultimate phoenix thread (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1767&highlight=ultimate+phoenix). Also you might want to get a grip on working with servo controllers like the SSC-32 or even the boebot first. I got a walker too early myself, and spent a long time letting it sit on a shelf before I finally learned enough to use it.

Also I think Lynxmotion has a lot of support on working with the phoenix also (http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build139.htm).

Hope this helps, and good luck with your projects!

Actually our Phoenix Comprehensive kits here even ship pre-programmed, so if you can build it, it will walk. Gives builders a great head start!

Formori
11-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Hello all,

My name is Ryan, and I've been reading some of the forums and tutorials here for a while, but now feel like I've got something worth contributing. I've been into electronics since I was young, taking apart all of my toys that had any electronics, and even some that didn't :). I'm currently a student at the College of the North Atlantic in Telecommunications Engineering and going on to finish an Electrical or Mech Engineering degree next year. I've been playing around with robotics, electronics, RC, and modelling more in depth in the past few years, and now have finally gotten some major projects underway. My two current major projects are a self-balancing platform that is remotely controlled and a semi-autonomous hexapod, both are somewhere in between design and build phases right now :p.

Outside of robots, I enjoy camping, hiking, climbing, photography and model building. I'm currently building a model Grammy trophy for a friend of mine's birthday, she's a big music lover, so it'll be an interesting gift.

I'll be, hopefully, posting and asking questions soon. And if anyone needs info about Nitro RC or modelling techniques, just send me a PM and I'll be happy to help.

ktaht
11-23-2009, 10:29 PM
My name is Kenny.

I am producer/director based in Orlando Florida.

Interests include motion control, time lapse, and high speed film and video.

Have several motion control projects I have been thinking about for some time and would like to get a few of them built.

Looking for resources....equipment and engineering services.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Migs
11-29-2009, 06:52 AM
Hi all:

I'm Miguel Reznicek* from Bolivia, who studied Mechanical Engineering in Auburn in the 80's. I thought ME meant we would get to make motors and mechanisms. Boy was I wrong. Thermodynamics, math and a lot of really useless stuff which they told us was to teach us how to think. There really weren't robots back in those days, no Google, no forums, no Big Brother. At least, robotics was not very well known. (For you young ones, the Macintosh came out the year I finished engineering, and Fortran and Pascal were serious programming languages!) Fast forward until the present, when I discovered the Parallax Basic Stamp, the Boe Bot, robot sumo - and computer programming is no longer taught in high schools. Since there was no one here to play with, my Sumos bumped each other. This is about when I realized that robotics, even in its memorable implementations (I'm thinking of the VW car Stanley in the DARPA challenge, or crabfu's awesome creations), is still really in gestation. Sienna said " Current robots are a tripod (which needs an IMU before any serious work gets done)", which kind of illustrates how I feel about robotics. Naively I thought I could make a really good wall follower or rover-mapper. Boy was I wrong! Add to this the frustration which happens when you can't tell wether your Arbotix board is talking to your laptop or not. (or PyPose... yeah right, when I get a degree in thermonuclear engineering!) As I browse this "introduce yourself" thread I envy all of you because of how UN-profficient I am at robotics. I'd like to be past the learning stage and creating something worth showing. I built a Lynxmotion Johnny 5 thinking it could actually do something** like see an object, pick it up and bring it back to me. (dump bucket of ice water on me now!)

... back to reality and memories of hours spent on my robot dreams.

I have so many hobbies and interests that if in the fight for my attention robotics gets it's head out of the water gasping for breath, I'll be more present in this forum. Otherwise I suspect, as has happened to many a budding young electronicist, a lesser distraction will enamor me away to a place less punishing and frustrating.

My hat is off to all of you survivors!

-Migs

* very few of you published your whole names...
** I remember telling the top dog at Lynxmotion that they should migrate from serial ports to USB, and him insisting they are "exactly the same thing...", yeah, right, says this Mac user.

Invicta
12-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Hello to all Robot enthusiasts

I am a new member to this forum, or any forum for that matter, so please forgive me if I slip up with the protocol in my first few days, I will adapt quickly. I look forward to getting involved with many projects not only for my own education but so that I can pass on my limited knowledge to others.

My background is 25 years of computer systems and communications with the Royal Air Force. I have an MSc and I am a Chartered Electrical Engineer with the IET. Unfortunately I had to give my part-time PhD in AI due to the demands of work, so building a robot in my limited spare time will compensate greatly. I have many other interests namely; building computers, control systems and astronomy. I live near to Canterbury, Kent (the Garden of England) in the UK with my beautiful wife of 30 years. I have 2 grown sons who will be starting their own careers soon and of whom I am very proud.

I will soon take delivery of a Lynxmotion Tri-Track, an Axon2 and a Sabertooth Dual Motor Controller. These will form the core of a platform to which I can add numerous sensors and capabilities, assuming I do not blow it up first! :rolleyes:

Best wishes

Tom Roberts

engineer
12-09-2009, 03:34 PM
GREAT, be sure to get in contact with Ibot he's from your part of the world and a really good roboteer. try not to blow it up until you've posted pictures at least.

dragon6950
12-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Greetings!

My name is Daniel Monzon, and I am currently a student from the College of New Jersey. I am majoring in Technological Studies, and I plan on becoming a technology teacher for my home school district. I have a lot of interests in manufacturing, electronics, and especially robotics. I don't really have too much experience on making and designing a robot from scratch, but I am planning on doing so for a senior project. I am thinking about using a BIOLOID beginner's kit, and I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can give advice to a rookie.
My interests are music, drawing, practicing martial arts, and goofing off.

Artificer
12-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Greetings from Roanoke Virginia!

I'm a EE by degree (I haven't done that since 94), but I consider myself a control systems engineer specialized in motion control and micro machining. I'm use to dealing with servos in the killowatt range. I use to own a systems integration company and part of a machine shop so I have diverse background in automation.

My hobbies are USPSA pistol & 3 gun shooting, tactical rifle (long range with practical rifles), hiking, and building guns.

I'm hoping to make a mech and compete in next years mech war.

engineer
12-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Welcome and bring it on we need (me and RN-!) some new opponents! :veryhappy:

Zlosk
12-31-2009, 12:23 AM
Hi everyone. My name is Paul, but most people call me Zlosk.

I'm an engineer by day, and am a serial hobbyist by night and weekends. My long-term hobbies have been homebrewing (13 years), making chainmaille (armor and jewelry, not those annoying letters, 9 years), and studying circus arts (trapeze, lyra, silks, Spanish web, etc., 3 years, juggling, unicycling, and occasionally stilting, about 20 years). I've dabbled in embroidery, stained glass, computer animation, and graphic design. I've also dabbled in various programming languages on an ongoing basis since 5th grade. I've forgotten most (if not all) of what I knew in Fortran, Perl, Java, assembly, and JavaScript, but I'm still somewhat useful in VB, AutoLISP, and VB.NET (and HTML, if you consider it programming).

I've wanted a robot for a while, and have lurked on occasion here, at robosavvy, and tribotix for the past couple years. During the last year or so, I've been called upon at work to directly program a motion card to get a machine to do things of which the hardware is capable, but the installed software is not. I found that forcing a machine to do your bidding is both exasperating and fun. That was enough of a push to get me to bite the bullet and order a Bioloid. It arrived a couple days ago, so I figured I better register, as I'm sure I'll have questions.

pixelseventy2
12-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Hi from the UK. I'm an IT Architect, with a background in programming. I've done a fair bit of hobby electronics, including PIC and Arduino work.

I've built a couple of very basic 2-wheeled bots, and I'm currently working on a 2-DOF hexapod, which I hope to show some of if it works out as I hope. Partly because I want to, and mostly because I'm cheap, I'm making everything myself; no SES brackets unfortunately. The servo controller will be done using a PIC, and the "brain" will be an Arduino.

spandolfo
01-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Hi all,

My name is Simone, I am from Italy.

I'm New to the robotics world and try to make a project with some phidgets for work... but at the moment i am trying to understand how work the Warranty & the return policy of Trossen Robotics because a defective phidget won't work and are some day that i am waiting for a reply from support and i need to go on on the project (the boss is not happy).

darkback2
01-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the forum Spandolfo,

I'm sorry your having a problem with the phidgets product. I have a ton of them, and have had very few problems.

As for the boss, these things happen.

Good luck,

DB

spandolfo
01-12-2010, 03:11 AM
Thank you darkback2,

Yes is weird what happened, only a part of the phidget stoped working.

Nishi yes I have called but from this office i have some trouble for make international call.

Regards
Sp

Alex
01-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Welcome everyone!

@Spandolfo - sorry to hear about the issue with your Phidget and trouble with our International #. Just an FYI, the 877 number does not work for International calls. To get a hold of us Internationally you would need to use our direct line. However I just realized that the header here in the forums and the blog was not updated with our new number after we moved:( I just updated it now so you should see this number in the header: Int: 630-437-5095. Or, if you'd rather email us, feel free to email me or Andrew (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/contact.aspx) with your original order number and we can get started with the RMA.

spandolfo
01-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Hello Alex,

Thank you but I have already sent a few days ago the mail about it, and thank you for the phone number but the problem is internal to my company for the calls went out.

The other day I managed to call, I've probably talked to you, and I have forwarded the mail for information. the only problem is the timing to give the boss.

As if to say, I feel their breath on my neck :)

Regards
Sp

Quarkster
01-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Hi everyone. My name is Andrew. Some of you may have noticed me poking around a bit. I'm a first year student at Gettysburg College. I'm a physics major and will probably be picking up a second major in mathematics, but I'm taking CS courses here too. I first got involved in robotics through my high school's FIRST Robotics team, where I worked as a programmer and mechanical consultant. I was unfortunately only able to do it for one year. This link has a picture of our robot (I'm the guy in the white shirt):

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/32852

Now that I'm in college, I have a lot less to work with. Popsicle sticks may be a construction material in my next project. But I have a personal history of exceeding expectations and I do not intend to stop now.

My current project is the Triangular Phototrope (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=3805) in the Rovers section. Its control system is going to be a set of reverse-biased LED controlled transimpedance amplifiers rather than a processor. This robot is going to have absolutely no digital circuits.

jes1510
01-18-2010, 01:30 AM
Welcome to the forum! I spent a little bit of time in the Gettysburg area when I was going to the national Fire Academy in Emmitsburg. It's a beautiful area.

Quarkster
01-18-2010, 11:26 AM
It is, but it's a terrible place to try to buy electronics supplies and equipment. Especially without a car.

DresnerRobotics
01-20-2010, 03:21 PM
It is, but it's a terrible place to try to buy electronics supplies and equipment. Especially without a car.

This is true for just about anywhere that isn't within walking distance to a Fry's Electronics.

It's called the internet. Do it. :D

Quarkster
01-22-2010, 12:28 PM
This is true for just about anywhere that isn't within walking distance to a Fry's Electronics.

It's called the internet. Do it. :D
I have been, but the shipping costs and delay are a pain.

Noog
01-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Who am I and what am I doing here?

1) Father.
2) Geek.
3) Maker. (Although builders have had many names through out time, this is currently the popular choice.)

If it is broken I want to fix it.
If it is working I want to take it apart.
I may seek help with this one day. =P

I currently develop software during the day, spending the majority of my time in the C language. I have been known to dabble in any other language when the need arises, but I prefer to stick to my roots.

In the wee hours of the night, after my sanity has completely slipped away but before the morning light has called me to task, I have found a few hours here and there to work on my own projects. Some of them mechanical, some electrical and some software. It is here that my frankenstien creations come to life.

I have been interested in/addicted to robotics for quite a while now. Thankfully, I don`t believe this will end any time soon. My ongoing goal with robotics is simple: to tinker. Sometimes I will strive to make something that no one else has created before, other times I will simply add my own tweak to an existing design. If I can find the time to play with anything in this field, then I will have met my goal. If I can help others along the way, I will have exceeded my goal. If I have had fun doing any of this, then I will know that I am on the right track. =)

Let's build!

Noog

Meccano Jay
01-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Who I am ... Jay Wolf
What I do ... Networking/programing/general tech work @ a cotton Gin
What im into ... Electronics, gadgets, giz mo thinguses, and hoodathingys, and most anything the neighbors/friends n family bring me thats broken! I like crazy PCs, into liquid cooling and performance without breaking the bank. Budget building is almost a hobby in itself ... hehe.

Ok well now that we have all determined im nutz lets move on shall we?
I call myself Meccano Jay based upon the readily available parts I will be using for my early projects.
I hope to create some interesting bots and devices, if for no other reason that to give Kids cool ideas for science projects, or just a neat way to learn and expand. hehe the last part for me as much as the kidos.

Happy to find a forum such as this one, hope to be contributing soon
M.J.:veryhappy:

Homosapien
01-31-2010, 09:04 AM
Hello all,

My name is Homosapien - obviously it isn't my given name :) Let me feel a bit more comfortable and I'll let you know of my real name - if anyone's interested later on :P

I'm currently taking my PhD in Robotics, and I have a background of Mechanical Engineering. I am having a tough time studying Robotics :( I accepted the scholarship as it wasn't easy for them to accept just about anyone so I took it and no, I do not regret it but wish it was easier (the studying :P). I'm not giving up though! I am trying to get it done in 2 years - the scholarship is for 3 years.

I love music and I love doing the robot dance - the only thing I think I am good at (not too sure when it comes to building my own robotic arm though but we will see ...). I enjoy playing sports such as tennis and sometimes, I get down and dirty by joining my friends a game or two of paintball. Whenever I am up for it, I'll play a game of COD with my brother on his PS3, other than that I play pool with my friends. Oh I love trying out new restaurants/cafes so in my free time - I do that as well. I wish there were 35 hours a day instead of 24!

That's about it ... for now unless anyone has any Q .. feel free not to ask. I mean, feel free to ask!

(So .. errmmm .. did I pass??)

sarendt
02-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Howdy,

So I wanted to get started chatting people up on the board for information and figured that would require a account and introduction. So here we are :*)

Im 30 something, 2 I think and am married with two small ones, 5 and new. I really enjoy robotics and have wanted to do robotics or mechatronics since high school. I took a few years off to join the US Marines, then went to school to get a Electrical Engineering degree. Now I pay the bills working for the US navy in Northern VA, Fredericksburg to be exact.

A friend and I are working to build a Reprap 3D printer, which I figure would help me prototype parts eventually. We are also considering creating a hackerspace (hackerspaces.org) in fredericksburg, which if that takes off would solve some major problems for my future projects :*)

All the excitement about the other projects has convinced me to look past my road blocks on a robot project (money, time, space..) and start working on it. That being said I plan to start out doing some research for a future (2011?) mech warfare game.

The research I am doing is on options for motors. I see everyone using servo's of one kind or another and wanted to see why they choose them. If anyone has any of that type of data I would enjoy reading through it, if not I will post what I learn in the tutorials section.

Nice to be here :*)
Cheers,
Scott

4mem8
02-12-2010, 08:05 AM
A big welcome to all the above people hope you enjoy this site as much as i do, great place to be and a huge knowledge base as well. I am sure you will all have something to contribute as time goes on .

neo0924
02-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am new to TRC and new to building robots. I've been interested in Robitics since I was a kid. Read books but never took the leap. I just purchased the The Bioloid Robot Kit so being new to robotics I will be back frequently to this forum to get helpful information.

4mem8
02-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Welcome Neoo024, you will have a lot of fun here. a real good bunch of ppl here and very helpful.

Robonaut
02-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi All,

I'm new to this level of robotics so I thought it a good idea to join your community. I must say I'm very impressed not only with the store on this site but also the members of the community here. I have been scoping out the net in anticipation of making a bi-ped for about 4 - 5 years for good robotics resources and this is by far the place to be.

I have been wanting to make robotics more of a hobby for some time now and have finally got tired of it being push to the bottom of the list. My hope is to be able to design and build a bi-ped. I have begun the design process and am getting ready to make a purchase of some hardware. I do have more ambitious ideas but I'm thinking starting out with a bi-ped should be challenging enough.

Right now I live In Maine, USA and work as a freelance contractor. I like the country living and enjoy watching Star Gate and some other sci-fi shows and movies. Other hobbies include or have been music, painting, sketching, hiking , motocross, skate boarding and skiing.

Hope to see you all in the forums, Enjoy

afa
03-03-2010, 02:03 AM
Hey, hows it going, my name is max, I'm a alaskan pilot/ramper just starting to explore robotics and such. Hope to contribute an learn.

Addidis
03-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Greetings. My email told me too so here goes.

My name is Jim , I'm 28. I live right out side Chicago. I have studied a bit of physics, am partially trained (of the A&P certifications, I made it threw the power plant half right before 9/11 when I abandoned the career) to work on jet engines, and took a year of electronics to finish off my education when I abandoned my Aircraft course. I am self taught from there.

For the most part I work with Microchip products. Taught my self assembly , some basic, some what competent with C. Still working on C but I can edit code efficiently , and write it with some help from my mentors.

My projects have included :
a. An on board mcu to control turn signals brake lights and headlights for my rc car.
This design worked on the proto board and my soldering failed on the first prototype. Then thanks to windoze and a nasty virus I lost my code and moved on.
b. An upgrade to the above which controlled fuel mixture and logged temperature for nitro rc cars.
Also never finished due to losing all of my code in the same pc crash.

C. USB 2.0 midi controller with micro sd reader and usb boot loader.
This was my first 100 % successful design. Not only did I prototype it I designed pcb, and a case and every thing for it. This took me about 2 years as I had to learn every thing involved and being self taught, its is an interesting endeavor to try to teach your self what you don't know, you don't know. This was coded in C . Used a PIC 18f26j50.

D. Built a reflow oven to complete the above project.

E. Currently building a web based security system. With web interface for monitoring and control.
Taught my self HTML , XHTML , working on TCP/Ip , css, and more for this one.

Interesting thing about me , I nearly died in a car wreck. Couldn't speak or remember who I was when I woke from my coma. I used engineering / Development to rehab my self as I had no insurance when I wrecked. Ive got a bad back and swiss cheese memory but I get by and wouldnt change it for any thing.

Biggest fault:
My math teachers were under par. I need to study up and over come this limitation.

gdubb2
03-03-2010, 02:08 PM
A big welcome to the new folks..There's a great bunch of folks here.

Gary

rslegge
03-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Hello,

My name is Steve and I live in Alum Creek, West Virginia, USA. I can buy resistors, capacitors, and a few odd things at our local Radio Shack, but I have to order 99% of my parts from the web.

I am a retired data processing project manager and just located our local robot club. I got into robot building about a year ago when I saw an article about the Arduino microprocessor. After I learned how to make it blink, I was on the hook.

Since I have been involved with computer programming for 30 years, it did not take me long to learn enough of the Wiring code for the Arduino. Then I learned about driving two motors with a quad bridge chip, using CDS photocells, IR range sensors, Ultrasonic range sensors, passive infrared sensors, then using a multiplexer chip, and just recently the BlueSmirf and 8 channel micro serial servo controller. Oh my, the little parts get more and more interesting and more and more capable.

In the meantime, I have been learning the Processing language, that fits like a glove with the Arduino. My latest bench advancement is controlling 8 servos attached to the Arduino using a serial servo controller through the BlueSmirf from a Processing executable running on my PC.

And with that mouthful, I will say 'hello' to all of you and hope to pick your brains in the future.

comds
03-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Hi everyone,

I am an EE and CE with a passion for robotics working in software development for a full flight simulation company. I like to joke that we make fake airplanes so pilots don't have to crash real ones. At work I interface all sorts of hardware with the software running the simulation. I also write code for the systems that are not hardware, things like fuel tanks, hydralics, electrical generators, secondary flight controls. At home I am a husband and father of 2.464 children. Yes that mean I have another on the way. But on monday nights my wife takes full control of the children so I can work on my hobby of robotics. Funds are limited and time is scarce but I am working on autonomous rovers mainly.

Current project: Codename Wudy
Robot Construction (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=121510&id=795108607&l=2a4110ad4e) -Picture
Robot's first steps (http://www.facebook.com/v/335244683607) - Old video
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...9cc4724abde103 (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fv%2F375958 998607&h=9a8c93a294aa03895e9cc4724abde103) - Brain test

I will start a thread with more details on this bot.

My research is to solve issues with robotic reliabilty, self-reliance, human-interfacing, command and control, and problem solving. So needless to say I will be at it for the next 70 years or so. I really like the community feel here. I will make an effort to help others as much as possible and share my experiance.

Respectfully,
ComDS

P.S. I reside in the Tulsa, OK area.

engineer
03-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Hey Steve, welcome, it sounds to me that we need to pick YOUR brains, besides RN-! I'm into radio control big time, I've been trying to get the lights, hi,low,turn,running and brakes to work on my r/c land cruiser to work at the appropiate times. i've got the RAM modules hooked up but the car also has a controller that I've had no luck finding out how to program it. It would be nice to run into you I coming to Virginia to visit my daughter later this year.
where is adrynnalin? I haven't seen a post lately. See you guys at the games!

The robohobo
03-23-2010, 03:02 PM
hello

MY names Jed Sully I am a teenager who hadn't been exposed to robotics till highschool. like the name implies robots on the cheap are my thing.:D

Beginner
03-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi everyone. As my name "Beginner" suggests I'm a beginner. I just recently found out about Trossen and bought an Ollo kit which I used to put together what looks like a dinosaur but it rattles around. I don't think that it really works properly. Then I bought the SolarSpeeder Solaroller 2.0 but I'm not sure I put that together correctly either. I made a mess of the soldering. Keep your fingers crossed for me...maybe one day I'll get it right.

Addidis
03-30-2010, 01:03 AM
Hi everyone. As my name "Beginner" suggests I'm a beginner. I just recently found out about Trossen and bought an Ollo kit which I used to put together what looks like a dinosaur but it rattles around. I don't think that it really works properly. Then I bought the SolarSpeeder Solaroller 2.0 but I'm not sure I put that together correctly either. I made a mess of the soldering. Keep your fingers crossed for me...maybe one day I'll get it right.

Having experience , only means you've already made all the mistakes already. Don't be discouraged. Thats what solder braid is for ;)

buhochileno
04-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi,

My name is Mauricio (33 years old) and I write from Chile.
I'm a professional programmer and I'm coding from about 15 years now and I very enthusiastic about all robotics and automation hardware.

I build my first custom domotic system (HW+SW+APIs) about 5 years ago and since then I realize that there is a need of more cross-platform and cross-components software solutions, so I begin to code the monoBOTICS Framework that allow exactly that, take a Bioloid and make it control your X10 or Zigbee lights...plus simulations, graphics, A.I , etc..

So cheers to all!

Mauricio

Beginner
04-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Having experience , only means you've already made all the mistakes already. Don't be discouraged. Thats what solder braid is for ;)

Addidis:

I got some desoldering braid and flux and now my SolarSpeeder Solaroller 2.0 works. Thanks. Now I'm on to some new projects. I just wish that my SolarSpeeder had energy storage cells so I could get more running time out of it. Maybe when I get better I'll learn to make that modification.

engineer
04-08-2010, 11:46 AM
learn diodes and batteries then you'll be able to add that, welcome

Addidis
04-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Wouldnt a few capacitors improve the duration , with out adding weight and excessive parts :)

engineer
04-11-2010, 11:43 AM
No they would only add to the load that the batteries have to carry, and might improve reaction time,but would lessen runtime since the batteries would have to charge them to + voltage before they could discharge during a command run. There are a great many options when it comes to batteries and chargers. a nine volt is very limited on current draw and life unless you opt for a rechargable and even then not much of a reserve for two or more servos, motors,or sensors to draw from. good luck and have fun john

MECHMASTER
04-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi, my name is Matthew,I'm 14 and saving up for a Bioliod kit to compete in mech warfare.

I live in OH, on 5 acres. I'm still learning so you'll have to forgive my ignorance.

PS. Is there enyone in the Akron area who knows where there are lego engineering classes.

MA_BLACK
04-27-2010, 01:23 AM
such hi I'm new around here, I hope to contrinbuir robots and power with my present early, so learning how to get more stuff. regards

hola que tal soy nuevo por aqui, espero poder contrinbuir con mis robots y poder presentarlos pronto, asi como ir aprendiendo mas cosas. saludos

Mike
04-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Hey I'm Mike I'm new and I love what you've done with the place

I have far to many hobbies to list here, everything from musician to bee keeper. My life goal is to know as much as I can about as many things as I can before I kick the bucket. Robotics is one of those hobbies that I'm very new to but places like this have made it so easy to get and get your hands dirty.

During the day I'm a sys admin for a small energy company. I started as their on call computer tech and as they grew I moved into the full time sys admin position.

That position slowly bled over into designing controls for their first bio fuel furnace prototype and it has been a great experience learning all about the world of controls and being able directly apply that back into my robotics hobby.

I look forward to getting to know you guys and learning a lot

sqrgj
04-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Hi guys,

My name is Ren Guanjiao, from Beijing ,PR China. I'm 23 years old and I haven't got a job now. Definitely I am a PhD student major in Robotics. This is my first year of PhD, so there is a lot of things to be learned from yours. I hope to get some help to finish my PhD dissertation.

My interests contain playing basketball, swimming, watch NBA, movies and PC games. Very Glad to share interests. To be honest, my English is not very good, so forgive me of the spelling and grammar.

This is my photo in Bei Dai He , a beautiful town of China.
http://avatar.csdn.net/4/C/4/1_sqrgj.jpg

garich998
05-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Hello,

My name is Gary I live in Imperial Beach, Ca. I am in the Navy. I like to tinker with a lot of different things and robots is one of them. I also have a hobby mill and lathe which I hope will help with my robot tinkering. If anyone living in Cali needs some aluminum machined just ask. I would like to see if I can build stuff.

gdubb2
05-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Hey Gary..
Welcome to the group.

Gary

LUCKY13
05-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Heeeelllloooo,

I am an Art Director, Prop Maker & Fabricator new to robot building. My new website will be up in a week or so for you to see some of my past/current projects. I have a few robot projects that I am spec'ing out for my own amusement. But the results of my work will be broadcast somewhere.

My studio, LUCKY 13 design/build, is well equipped with an abundance of tools, equipment, materials & space. I look forward to leveraging some of your knowledge, experience & resources to make some EPIC & enjoyable machines. I don't plan on battling with any of my robots. We come in peace. But I don't mean peace & quiet.

I like loud things and I do plan on causing some trouble with man & machine. Yes, I like to have fun with people in a harmless & entertaining manner. Am I good at it, we will let the public decide.

Cheers,

[tv:]

tomas verde
LUCKY 13
Los Angeles

El Marco
05-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Hi everyone, How goes it?

I'm Mark from the sunny north of the UK...

I found this site while researching the Biped Scout I'm currently building but, I've been into building mobile autonomous 'bots for quite a while. My 10 year old son is starting to show an interest and he is learning to code in Pbasic (he wrote a pretty good servo zeroing program for me to help setup the 20 odd servos we have kicking around). Most of my coding has been in 68k assembler and I dabble in PIC, AVR, Propeller SPIN and a few other bits.

I have a thing for automatic vacuum cleaners for some reason...

yangyun
05-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Hi,
I'm here to learn about Mech Warfare, which looks pretty cool.
I live in Beijing and have dabbled mostly in NXT so far.
Mech Warfare is on a larger scale, and I hope to learn from other's trial and error.

YY

DKurtev
06-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Hello,

My name is Dimitar. I`m 22, and I live in Bulgaria. A year ago I saw a hexapod robot video in youtube and I was fascinated. Since then I've been building my own hexapod and now it`s almost complete. Sometimes building robots is a very lonely job so I`m glad that there are forums like this that connect roboteers from all over the world:)

Dimitar Kurtev

Robonaut
06-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Welcome to the forum. :) We are always glad to hear that someone has found us and has joined. I believe you will find that many of us like to share ideas and like to hear about what each other is building. Loneliness is probably something you won't find on here. :veryhappy:

TaErog
06-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Hello, My name is Jonathan . . been a lurker for a time and purchased kits from time to time . .
When I am not finding bugs with network servers . . I do photography, some CGI 3D art, and play with gadgets. I have for a long time wanted to build a robot (a autonomous one). I have some skill at crafty stuff - building and bogging things together. Also some programming and animation experience.

I love the work I have seen people here do and love the hexapods (a favored subject for my photography are insects so go figure). and decided to purchase a Phoenix kit (as I do not have much access to any CNC mill, so the kit was perfect)

Now I just spent a week building a Phoenix hexapod . . it is up and going and begging for modifications :)
Quick vid I did YouTube- BugBot v2 (though I expect everyone has done this full dance after building)

I am planning on adding sensors, starting with IR range finder or 2 and proceeding to adding the Blackfin camera I have . . might also add some sensors to the legs . .
Also I was thinking on adding "tendons" to make the normal stance neutral and adding a additional bent Femur part to balence some stress on the servos . . . but all in good time . . . I will be asking LOTS of questions!

I am glad to join in and connect with the wonderful robot making group here

Patrik Olsson
06-13-2010, 02:31 AM
Hello guys I found this forum by a coincident when I was looking for some information about Hexapods.. I must say its a great forum, I can only say great job.

And now a little about me, my name is Patrik Olsson and I live in Sweden my biggest interest is Robotics. I work as a developer at a company called Andon Automation AB that build big welding robot systems. Http://www.andonautomation.com (http://www.andonautomation.com/). I make all of the configuration for the robots to integrat all the external axis and making them coordinated by inverse kinematics.

I have always been working with robots for work and on my spare time but mostly at my spare time I used Lego Mindstorms to build with. But now I will make a hexapod in alu..

That was a short introduction see you guys around..

dalocogamer
06-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Hey everyone hows it going? My real name is Charlie but I like my Xbox name way better so I went with dalocogamer for this forum. Came across this forum earlier today. Really like what I see and now I got the urge to be part of it. I really like the Mech War video on the site. That was the hook that got me into here now. I am currently a freelance computer assistaned that goes around my town helping companies and homes with any computer related task. I am from Bloomington, IN. IU is only the 2nd greatest thing at Indiana, I am the 1st greatest thing.:veryhappy:

risknc
06-29-2010, 02:29 AM
Hello everyone!

My name is Kyle, I am 22, living in Florida (at the moment) and I am a recent graduate of Mechanical Engineering at Virginia Tech. I did alot of work in the RoMeLa Lab, mainly on the RAPHaEL hand and the CHARLI full size humanoid.

Having graduated (and still looking for a job) I figured joining up here would be a good way to keep in touch with the robotics community at large. I know there's some crazy smart people out there and I have some experience of my own I'd like to contribute.

If anybody needs help with CNC, Labview, RS-485 comm, pneumatics, CAD, FEA, CAM, or just about anything humanoids, I'm your man!

I also know alot of very smart people back at the lab, (JK designed Bioloid for example) so if I can't help you out, maybe one of them can!

Here is a picture of CHARLI
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_bTdG68aG9so/S-NxADNvLEI/AAAAAAAACww/49L1I5lSCy8/s144/M_charli-walk.jpg

(That's song in the background, he was working on gaits that day)

kurtnelle
07-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Hello,

I'm currently making a robot and I need a lot of help in the mechanics department. Other than that I'm pretty good at the programming part.

Enjoy the Day
Shawn

jes1510
07-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Welcome to the group guys!

Kurtnelle, feel free to start a thread on your project to talk about it. It's helpful if you list the research you've done and things you need help with along with lots of pictures or drawings.

Cheers!

Utkarsh Sinha
07-09-2010, 03:32 AM
Hello everyone! I'm Utkarsh. Currently doing a B.E. in Computer Science + M.Sc in Mathematics. I'm into vision based robotics... hoping to help with that, learn about other "branches" of robotics and make some friends :veryhappy::D

H.A.K
07-09-2010, 03:42 PM
HI there everyone..
I am new here. I joined these forums to learn about robotics. I am currently doing my bachelors in MECHATRONICS ENGINEERING. Hope that, i ll be having a learning experience here.
Bless you all.

chrisvo
07-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi everyone!

My name is Christopher Vo. I'm 26, and I am a computer scientist working on a PhD related to robotic motion planning at George Mason University (Fairfax, VA, USA). I'm also part of GMU's RoboCup (humanoid kid-size league) team!

Our project web site is here (with pics and vids):
http://cs.gmu.edu/~robotics/RoboPatriots

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1302/4610291401_b10f9bab94_m_d.jpg

If anyone needs help with Surveyor SRV-1, Kondo humanoids and servos, and Gumstix/Robostix, I'll be glad to help or discuss. I've also done a lot of work in simulation and visualization software and would love to talk about that too sometime!

LambsGoRoar
07-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Hello i am Austin i joined this forum because for a while i have wanted to make robots. Mostly i make them out of scrap toys so far my best thing i have created is a remote control boat out of an old helicopter, a cell phone, scrap Styrofoam and k'nex motors. i have joined this forum because i want to get a little more "professional" maybe buy some parts and stuff. the one thing i REALLY want to achieve is to build a robot that can find an object and bring it back to you. hope fully you guys will be able to help me with that and i cant wait ! :D

silverscion
07-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Hi folks!

Just joined the forum, I've been browsing around for a few days looking for ideas on my next steps for my Robotic Arm Edge kit, I've built it and just last weekend added the USB interface to I can program it.

I'm still trying to decide what to do with the thing now that it works :D Current ideas:

1. Build a bartending robot, I would need to add a wrist joint to the end of the arm, but otherwise it has everything it needs to fulfill this goal with minimal modification, just a lot of very specific location based design, and perhaps replacement software (I've not found anything to do wait states in the existing software)

2. Add wheels/legs/rockets and some sensors so it can run around and fetch objects, this would obviously be a lot more work, and a huge learning curve for me; perhaps version III of the project?

3. ??? any other ideas or other projects done with this kit?

My background:
I'm an IT architect for a large outsourcing/consulting firm, I've got years of hardware and networking experience and have been an amateur mechanic since I was a teenager. I've taken up robotics as I've recently started a family and spending time/money on cars is not really an option for the foreseeable future. It was actually my wife's idea :D

-Sean

TwinTurbo
07-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Hello,

I've been lurking around the forums for a few weeks now and finally decided to join. I always loved the idea of working on robots and even started with the intent to do so in college. However, as time went on, I started leaning more toward the software aspects of computer engineering and that ultimately became my career. Now, I'm working my way into the parts I've missed out on for so long.

Background:
Started with C/C++ in '95 and never looked back. Virtually all of my personal projects use C++ with a dose of x86 assembly when needed. C# comes in handly for prototyping, as it is obviously faster to get up and going with a suitable IDE. I've taken a swing at rasterization engines, 3D graphics (preferably OpenGL), and compiler design to name a few.

My goal is to get into some robotic AI projects in the near future.

username80
07-15-2010, 09:52 AM
hi
My name is Prashanth
I am from india. I am an electronics and communication student.

So thats about me.

jes1510
07-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Welcome to the group guys!

gualalasmooth
07-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Hello robot builders Tom Here

I am a large scale robot Diy guy my latest project I am using wheelchair motors servos micro switches and relays for motor control old school but versatile and powerful I have a Squidoo lens take a look at http://www.squidoo.com/diy-robots- I'm not trying to sell anything I just love to build robots and share ideas Thank you Tom Gualalasmooth

sandramart
08-02-2010, 02:29 AM
Hello!!! i am Sandra Mart from Florida.I am newest member to join this site.

r4pt0r2009
08-13-2010, 06:48 AM
Hello, i am joining to learn more about robotics. I am very interested in purchasing robot kits for a hobby. I am in real estate. I tend to travel alot.

MasterRapper
08-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi I'm MasterRapper!
I joined today! I'm working a "robot security guard" thing and I have no programmming or building experience! I need to some help to make and AWESOME robot with these features:

I wanna make a robot with the following features, and I dont know how to make my own thread:

1. Shoots Airsoft Gun or BB Gun quickly
2. Has wheels and engine/motor so it can move quickly
3. Can move down and up stairs quickly without slipping
4. Webcam so I can see what it sees on my computer monitor
5. A device I can speak to the people I'm near and they can speak back to me
6. Have the gun follow any movement and have a nice shooting program/system
7. Be able to all of this wirelessly on my computer
8. Be able to use my own Xbox controller to control all of this through my computer
8. Have it dressed in a suit with all of these features placed where they would actually be placed on a human body if possible

I don't even know if all this is possible. I just need to know what parts to get to make most of this work. Im still confused what a "servo" is and Im pretty good with computers.

Thanks,
MasterRapper

jes1510
08-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Welcome to the forums guys!

KnoxvilleRobots
08-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Hello Folks,

My name is Frank, from Knoxville, TN. By day, I'm a database and application programmer: LAMP and .Net. Eh, it's a living. I've touched on a number of hobbies over the years: Model Railroading, Wooden Ship building, RC Cars, and now robots and Arduino boards.

I'm also a bit of an entrepreneur and have plans of starting a business out of robot entertainment and events. The business plan is still being tweeked. I'll keep everyone up to date as things move forward.

twitter: @KnoxvilleRobots (http://twitter.com/KnoxvilleRobots)

Here's me:
http://www.facebook.com/profile/pic.php?oid=AAAAAwAgACAAAAAKFQaNRJqmB1f2aw8J3o6vjc kHJeDtsLE1CpNYYq5snL0aSGKy6Sxa7CuxcnZqsdDYP571TeGY zpGOnVX5nZQ1KclC91dI20EY4zOvSCWSYEflI08Y-8TWMNd0A4faT0oQ&size=normal

Here's my latest robot, Mr. Figgy:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs360.snc4/44323_147234201968188_133711446653797_334518_59512 72_n.jpg

Thackeray61
08-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Hi to everyone! My name is Greg. I'm a new member in this forum and hope to find new friends here.

Slugman
08-25-2010, 06:48 AM
Hi, I better introduce myself, since I have already started asking questions, which is a bit rude of me.
My experience is mainly from the mechanical side of things - Have done a modern engine conversion on an old car, but also have some programming knowledge - Just enough to get me into trouble. I tend to look at things a bit differently, & seem to be fairly good at optimising systems, probably due to a mis-spent youth in RPG's (The last word in RPG is "Game", not "Grenade"). Not surprisingly, I have grand plans for my little robot, which I hope to share as I progress in knowledge & power, as I take over the world!!!!!!! :tongue:

Slugman

Salmonerd
08-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Hi All,

My name is John. I'm a mechanical engineer and I've been working with robots for maybe 7 years now. I was just introduced to dynamixel motors and I love them.

If you don't know about Nick Thune and salmonerd, you'll want to watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__3EZmzmIQs

Tommy_T
08-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Hello Forum!

I'm new to both this forum and to personal robotics. for the last 25 years I've worked as a
system integrator for the manufacturing industries and have worked on projects with industrial
robots, but this is a first try at this type of personal project.

I should also let you know that my grammar, spelling skills and artistic talents are very limited.
I also love it when I'm told it can't be done.

Tommy

zentinal
09-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Hello Everyone:

I've been a web apps developer for 10 years now, but I'm extremely new to robotics. I've been looking around for a forum to haunt as I get my feet (or my robot's feet) wet.

I've been fascinated by bots with 4 or more legs as long as I can remember.

I guess my next step after submitting this is to click on that colorful "Getting Started?" button over there on the left.

Prepare for the barrage of stupid questions!:o

Northstar
09-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Hi Guys,

My name is Chris and I live in NZ. I'm glad to have joined this forum as there are some very awesome things being made here!
I'm an electrician by trade but have always loved inventing and designing interesting things, I have submitted my latest project to the forum, hopefully you'll find it interesting as much as I have!.

Here's a photo of me and my paintball team, I am the second in from the left .... yes the predator behind me was one of the inspirations for my latest project! Talk soon!

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/4/7/5/4/firefox_elite.jpg

DresnerRobotics
09-01-2010, 03:30 PM
I saw some pretty awesome pictures that you uploaded lastnight, hope to see more of the project! Good luck with the contest Chris!

Northstar
09-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Hi Tyberius, thanks for that, just wondering if I had posted the entry into the competition properly?? .... does it a take a while to show up?? ... cheers

DresnerRobotics
09-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Accidentally got stuck in the moderation queue, should be fixed by now!

cire
09-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Greetings,

My name is Eric. I started building robots 8 years ago when i joined a FIRST team. I'm a mechanical engineer who recently graduated college, and now that I have some free time again I want to start doing competitions again. I've always wanted to head out to California and go to some of the big events. I am thinking about doing the mech warefare competition at robogames this year and have been doing some preliminary design work on it, which is how I ended up on this forum!

animeunplugged
09-05-2010, 06:15 PM
HI everyone my name is Crystal. I am 16.I live in kansas. And I love robots (androids to be exact) . What got me into my interest in robots was when I was very little my grandma played the terminator on the tv at here house and after that i fell in love with robots! And I have just recently started to build my first robot!:robotsurprised: And I can't wait to meet you all:D

Xevel
09-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is Nicolas, I am 24, I live in France and I work as a software engineer.
Since as far as I can remember I've loved disassembling things to have a look at what makes them tick, and with some perseverance I even got to the point where I could put them back together ^^
I like building thing, which led me to practice aeromodelism, and later on, I started building simple robots from scrape pieces.
After graduating, I began to build robots for the French qualifications to Eurobot (http://www.eurobot.org/), trying to come up with fun and innovating concepts like for example this one (http://forum.pololu.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2368).

A few month ago I started my most ambitious robotic project to date with a friend of mine, I'll post about it soon ^^

EDIT : here it is http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=4341

tician
09-14-2010, 01:25 AM
Greetings (cue a subdued Jedi-like hand wave... Moving along...),

I'm Matt, a recent EE/ME graduate (technically Agricultural Engineer with Mechanical and Electrical system emphasis areas). Like many many others, I have been disassembling/fixing and reassembling toys and assorted devices since I was little. I first started programming in high school with the perennially expensive TI-83 and moved on to Java, MATLAB, and C/C++ in college. I've been interested in robotics for a while and using various embedded systems for about three years. Having spent the last ~9 months using Robotis systems, I am not terribly fond of humanoid robots and even less fond of a certain Windows exclusive software suite.

I have a number of different projects in various stages of (in)completion along with a strong tendency to let personal projects stagnate, so any efforts to shame me into action will be greatly appreciated.

asp55
09-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi Everybody!

My name is Andrew and I'm an kinetic sculptor (or at least, that's how I'm classifying myself at the moment).

I'm originally from the bay area, but now live in Portland, OR where I work as an interactive designer.

The first robot I built was in the late 80s... but being 3 and lacking any mechanical parts... it didn't do a lot.

These days I'm an arduino user and an adamant believer in open source. Most of the parts / things I've designed are on Thingiverse.

DresnerRobotics
09-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Sorry, there is only one Andrew originating from the Portland area allowed on these forums. You'll have to leave.

gdubb2
09-21-2010, 03:37 PM
But Tybes, He originated in the bay area and moved to Portland..There by filling the void you left.

Welcome to the group Andrew.. (Ignore the other one)

Gary

asp55
09-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Sorry, there is only one Andrew originating from the Portland area allowed on these forums. You'll have to leave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUWgE0EVQ9c

But Tybes, He originated in the bay area and moved to Portland..There by filling the void you left.

Welcome to the group Andrew.. (Ignore the other one)

Gary

Why thanks!

gdubb2
09-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Best response to anyone.. EVER..+rep

ltm0807
10-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Nice to meet all of you !!!
I hope to make friend with many people here.
I'm Anna Lee, I'm studying in a Technology University.
I love robot so much !
--------------------------
Mobile App Development (http://www.softwareoutsourcing.biz/services/mobile-development/iphone-ipad.html)

spline
10-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Hi peoples, my name is Jean Simard and I'm from Prevost near Montreal, Quebec.

I'm am a 3D artist for the last 10 years and I'm enjoying photography in my spare time.

I know nothing about robotic or electronic but I always love to watch robot in action. For a personal project I've modeled in 3d the APU from the film the Matrix. For me it is one of the best robot ever made on the big screen.

Here an image of my 3D APU:
http://www.jeansimard.com/site2008/images/gallerie/divers02.jpg

The reason I'm joining this forum is that I want to build a rig for my dslr camera with some electrinic servo and I hope to find help here.

Thanks

Spline

Roger Stewart
11-08-2010, 12:06 PM
My name is Roger Stewart, and I'm the editor for TAB Books, an imprint of McGraw-Hill. I love the videos and the sense of fun on this site, and it seems like a great place to hang out and keep up with what's going on in DIY robotics. Our books are aimed at technical hobbyists. I'm always interested in new ideas for new books and, of course, always on the lookout for talented writers. I have my own blog at http://tabbooks.tumblr.com/, which I started recently. The TAB marketing manager and I have a Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/#!/TAB.Books which you may find interesting.

randall
11-08-2010, 05:26 PM
hello people?

I've always been a fan of robots/technology, science, music and art's and now that I'm hitting my early mid-ages I think it's time to sit down, dig a little deeper and enjoy it as a hobby!

I come from a skill trades background where I spent the last 17 years as a machinist/CNC operator/PLC gantry follower(I sometimes think it doesn't really need me!) for the mold making and mining industries, it's because of CNC (and surfing youtube for atari punks consoles) I stumbled upon arduino and for the last year and half It's been nothing but the best experience! As for robotics I've managed to build a really simple arduino bot and put together a Lynxmotion arm on a tri-track which is now my pride and joy, but I'm still curious and need more!

At it's core I'm a noob stuck in it's shell, but hey look on the bright side.. at least my shell's got LED's :veryhappy:

cheers,

SerithSeraki
11-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Hello to all my new comrades, I am Serith Seraki "pronounced Sairth Sairki". I am a brit born chap that now resides in southern California due to my fiance taking part in a particular college program. I am twenty one years old and have been interested in robotics since I was young, growing up with such films as Saturn 3, Short Circuit, Silent Running, Batteries Not Included, and the Puppet Master series. My goal in robotics is to use the knowledge I have under my belt to pursue a career in animatronics. I currently have two humanoid robots, the Robonova-1, and the KHR2-HV. Though sadly my forte is more on the construction side of things and my programing and electronic skills are lacking. I live in the town of Simi Valley and would be more than willing to assist anyone who is in the general area on any projects they have so feel free to PM me if you are interested in a partnership.

kensbey
12-07-2010, 07:56 PM
hey all!

another aussi here! . i am just finishing an engineering degree majoring in mechatronics. look forward to seeing progress on lots of the projects happening here.

:D

gstral
12-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Hey all!

First of all, this site is pretty awesome, so thanks everybody for making a chill environment about robotics! Found this forum via a youtube video about Zenta's hexapod.

I'm from Canada and I'm a student in computer science. I'm interested in robotics and automation/AI in general, high leveled stuff. Too bad I haven't got too much exposure to the EE/Mechanical side of things :sad:

During my free time, I like to swim (the boring lapping kind), hike and other outdoorsy stuff.

Hope to learn lots from you all!

G

vic7767
12-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Hi,

Nice site. I discovered this site after reading and watching a U tube video of a remote controlled XV-11 that was posted on RobotReviews.com

I wanted to join this site and possibly contribute some hacking info from time to time. Most of my expertise is from hacking and modding Roomba and Scooba robots.

I'm retired from the old Bell System where I worked at Bell Telephone Laboratories in Naperville, IL. Worked on neat things like ISDN that has now gone by the wayside for even better networks which are now mostly wireless. You can see some of my efforts by visiting my website here:
http://www.vic7767.com

RAMRunnr
12-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Oh Kay.

Well, I used to tinker with robots way back when and got out of the hobby and into others and now I'm back. :D Anyway, in real life I am in Retail sales. I'm 36. Love the outdoors, four wheeling, Radio Controlled aircraft and cars, and Automotive racing (Auto Cross and Drag). I like Anime (especially Mecha :p) I was born and live in central North Carolina.

gonzo
12-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi , my name is Yudha Pane a.k.a gonzo.
I'm from Indonesia, a country in South East Asia.
I'm currently a college student majoring Electrical Engineering.
Interested in robotics especially legged locomotion, electronics devices and simulation.
Hopefully I will make a good contribution in this forum.
Thank you :o

aldebaran
12-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Hello im new to this forum and i love robots im looking forward to enjoy my stay here.... best wishes to all of you and have a great holidays

darkback2
12-29-2010, 12:51 PM
hey Aldebaran

welcome to the forum. Are you the creator of Nao? If so I'm a big fan of your work.

DB

amorfy
01-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Hi ;

I'm Onur from Turkey.

I'm study at bahcesehir university( www.bahcesehir.edu.tr you should look) Mechatronic engineering in Turkey.
My final year project is hexapod.I have been working on it 3 months and ı bought ssc32 servos,batteries.

Now ı will start mechanics of hexapod.Now ı am drawings legs parts.

Yours very truly :)
Onur K.

jeppers113d
01-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Hey everyone, i'm Jeppers, from the bay area california... 3D media arts and animation major at the art institute of ca, takinga wee lil break because i'm going back into the airforce this february to get my training in my new job as a cyberspace systems operations technician.

just recently got back into the electronics scene again, my friend asked me to do an led light case mod to his x-box 360, and when i started doing research into what people were doing now a days to their 360 x-box's... i figure their stuff was lame, and i wanted to do more than just have it blink lights and stuff... i want that 360 to be robotized... turn it on and panels pop up from the servos raising it into the air, lights flashing with led sound synchronization, and other stuff too... well i'm kinda rusty in the electronics shindig but its slowly all coming back YAY!... this looks like a sweet forum, and hopefully you guys can see my progress on this project and help me out a little please thanks!!!!

~jeppers

Luis Rodriguez
01-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Hello everyone, I was introduced to this community from fellow CCCKC hackerspace member Micheal Overstreet. I've always loved robots and hope to build a few soon. I have three at the moment but they spit plastic! I have three 3d printers and will bring two to Robogames this year. Not sure yet about competing as printing all day sounds fun enough! I am happy to print stuff for folks and on a side note I have a code to by an UP! printer at $1600 righ tnow. Shameless plug I know but its such a damn good deal. I'll try to post more but feel free to ping me with any questions you may have. I will most certianly ping you when I start to build....something.

http://www.facebook.com/fbLuis

http://twitter.com/luiserodriguez

http://www.google.com/profiles/lrodriguezmail

Oh yeah the details. My name is Luis Enrique Rodriguez, I am 35 tomorrow have a wie and two sons, am a Graphic Designer at the Kauffman Foundation, member of the KC Hackerspace CCCKC in KC where I met Micheal Overstreet adn love tech, robots, and anything Maker related! I am a DIY'er home owner that prides myslef on building/learning/sharing.

-Luis E. Rodriguez

angelicgundam90
01-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Hi my name is Juan, i first started exploring robotics with the help of FIRST. I hope to compete in the mech-warfare competition this year at robogames. i have alwas loved mech anime(gundam, big o, ect) and have been in the rc hobby for about 6 years now. o and thats my brother above me:veryhappy:

PappaNiklas
01-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Hi
my name is Niklas Christiansson
Im 41 soon 42 years ... i think ... time flies by fo fast when you are over 20

Ive been doing r/c on and off since i was 15, this robot stuf f ive only been doing about a month

Ive orderd a hexapod from Lynxmotion and a bunsh of servos from Tower, well soon see if it will be something ...

Profficionally i am a CIO at a small swedish ISP, and i often program Delphi (a form of Pascal for Windows)

I am allso very active in swedish largest r/c-forum www.rsb.se (http://www.rsb.se) using the same name name: PappaNiklas, the name comes from me being the father of two children (pappa is the swedish word for father)

k3nt
01-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Hey Everyone,

My name is Kent, I've been aware of this site and it's presence among robotic parts suppliers for quite a while, but I recently learned of its solid and knowledgeable community. I look forward to learning from the community and giving my knowledge back as well.

A little about me.... I am in my last year of undergrad at Cal Poly in central California studying computer engineering. I've been crazy about robotics for a few years now. I have been apart of many projects related to robotics and enjoy every aspect of it! At age 5 I got my first rc car and the rest was history...

Here's a picture of me with friends of mine at the pali lookout on Oahu.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs166.snc1/6212_1199989274166_1061550014_650732_3950204_n.jpg

I'm the tall white guy with the white shirt hah

Kent

sebs
02-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Hello. My name is Sebastian and I'm a algorithms student in University of Tampere. The reason I joined the forum is because I noticed some discussion about xbox360 controller. But as I wen't trough the website and noticed the actual meaning of the forum. I tough I would stick around. My interest isn't that much in robotics (other than general fascination) but in artificial intelligence. This naturally is part of robotics so.. :)

Hopefully this forum can broaden my knowledge of practical problems in a.i. My field is very theoretical so practical knowledge is something I don't have that much. But, talk to you all later.

gdubb2
02-05-2011, 10:48 AM
To all of the new folks here in the forum.. A big WELCOME to the group.

Gary

DresnerRobotics
02-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Welcome to all the newcomers!

You guys should join us in the TRC Chatroom! Info on the upper left of the forums.

artifice
02-07-2011, 11:29 AM
hi there guys!!

well i join this site becouse i have a litle big problem i'm building a laser range finder using a splpl90 laser with 905 nm wave lenght and a receiver with same wavelenght i already have some schematics but they don't work very well and also i have huge problems about the lens and filters i'm using also a TDC-GP1 to determine the distance, a beam spleater and the distance is to be shown in a 7 segment BCD.

i would llike some help if some has or could build me some schematics that would work and give also a report in all the steps in how to built this kind of range finder.. in resume i would like to buy this electronic work for a considerated price. but only the papper work the fisical i would like to do it myself.

need urgent response
much thanks!!!!

Martin
02-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Hello

my name is Martin, i am 42, married with two daughters, i live in Liverpool, England.

I have been building robots off and on for 12 or so years, some worked, most did'nt:sad:

i also fly high power rockets:happy:

n3o
02-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Hi, my name is Neo and I'm 34 living in Malaysia. Just got into this hobby few months back and got my first Quadrapod (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTaIpXGpe9g) walking. Nice meeting you guys ... :happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTaIpXGpe9g

pthartmann
02-23-2011, 03:08 PM
http://www.myamaranth.com/pete.jpg

:D Name: Peter

Graduating Northern Illinois University this Spring with a degree in Electrical Engineering Technology!

Never realized, until today, that Trossen Robotics is local :veryhappy:

I am currently working on our Senior Design project where I am presently trying to do far too much physical computing with a Wiznet 5100 chip.

Upon success, I will be able to control any automated/robotic/physical computing process in real time, via a webpage, no software required(short of a Java plugin.) BTW, this works wonderfully with wireless routers.

Controlling our µC via Wiznet is just one part of the autonomous drone we are creating.
Short Circuit was a great movie, but let's be honest, Flight of The Navigator was truly amazing.

I currently run an IT department for the Army Reserves. I am also concurrently looking for a job. :veryhappy:

xerexz
03-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Hello guys,

I`m new here, student of Mechatronics at Malaysia. I`m searching for projects for my FYP and found this great forum,hopefully you guys can help me with my project.
:happy:

Yar Jr
03-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Hello everyone

I'm 37 living in Nashville Tennessee. About the closest thing term I would use use to classify myself is purely a hobbyist/tinkerer. I have an interest in designing/building various things - but no serious engineering background or career (my original major in college was actually fine arts).

I've joined this site to see what kinds of projects other people are working on, and to get tips for the things that I've chosen to work on.

somjit
03-07-2011, 01:20 AM
hi there:happy:
as my username says it, im Somjit Nag, from Kolkata, India..
currently im a B.tech student, studiying electronics n communication engg.
came to know abt this site from google when i searched for a robotics community, n this one seemed quite nice :happy:.
i dont know much abt robotics, did just one project for an inter-college tech-fest , my project was a line follower, which i made without any microcontroller, just a couple of led ldrs n the principle that white lines reflect more light than black...
but however.. only two weeks of time, n no previous experience in this matter meant that we were terribly outperformed :sad:

so thats bacically the reason for my search for a good robotics community n becoming a member here... want to learn as much as possible, wanna keep making better robots, maybe ill win some of these tech fests too.. n help others around me who are interested in robotics as well.
planning to open a robotics club in our college too,:) but for that, need to know more, n win some competitions first!:cool: lets see how that goes...:happy:

lastly, i saw that many of the members are proffesional people, lots of experiencs, n savvy knowledge, hope i wont be a bother to u guys with my questions:( need ur help... looking forward to learning a lot :)

somjit:happy:

emgrobotics
03-07-2011, 09:42 PM
My name is Eric Gregori
I run the www.EMGRobotics.com website

I am a professional Software Engineer working for Freescale Semiconductor - Home of the $149.00 1GHz 3-inch by 3-inch embedded Linux/Android SBC.
I have written a couple of articles for Robot magazine, and I have 2 blogs about Robots and embedded systems:
http://blogs.freescale.com/author/ericgregorifsl/
http://buildsmarterrobots.blogspot.com/

My passion is Computer Vision, Artificial Intelligence, and Robotics.

I have a free open source tool called the Robot Vision Toolkit that runs on Windows, Linux, and Chumby that lets you Build Smarter Robots using a language very similar to BASIC called RobotSee. It makes it easy to add Computer Vision to your next robot project.

I also do a lot robotics using the Chumby as a brain. I run RobotSee on the Chumby, and have developed a web page based development environment for the Chumby to make it easy for people to use the Chumby in their robots.

You can find RobotSee for the chumby here: www.EMGRobotics.com

You can find the open source Chumby Computer Vision Library here: http://code.google.com/p/chumbycv/

You can find the open source Chumby development environment here:
http://code.google.com/p/chumbydevboot/

All my stuff is free and open source, I just want help others build smarter robots!!

You can find some videos of my robots here: www.youtube.com/seeprogrammer

somjit
03-08-2011, 10:32 AM
All my stuff is free and open source, I just want help others build smarter robots!!
@eric, hey that's really cool !! :) ur robo-vision toolkit looks really good.. :) n its really nice of u to develop something like this n give it away as freeware for us to use it :) but i have some queries, i dont know much abt robotics, so i was wondering if i could use it to build a simple line follower using something like an atmega8, or atmega16 microcontroller... and also can the coding frm ur toolkit be burned into these microcontrollers?
hoping for a yes :)

cheers:)
somjit.

emgrobotics
03-09-2011, 10:50 AM
I wrote a computer vision algorithm specifically for line following.
It's in the chumbcv library: http://code.google.com/p/chumbycv/

Unfortunately, these libraries require a bigger processor then a small AVR.

I would suggest using a i.MX53 Quick Start Board ( www.frescale.com/imxquickstart ) or a chumby ( www.chumby.com ) and connect it to a AVR via serial.

I do this all the time. I use the bigger processor running linus to do the computer vision, and connect it serialy to a microcontroller which does the motor control and low level stuff.

I wrote a blog about this architecture here: http://blogs.freescale.com/author/ericgregorifsl/

noonv
03-10-2011, 04:44 AM
Hi! My name is Vladimir.
I'm from Kaliningrad, Russia.
Working under robocraft.ru (http://robocraft.ru) and intrested in AI, robotics and computer vision.
Learning ROS at now ^_^

drovecrazie
03-10-2011, 08:23 PM
I will not bore anyone here, but I was requested to introduce myself in my welcome message. So here it goes. Married with 3 kids. One son who has a twin sister, and my little pseudo-Triplet that came 18 months later. After battling infertility for 10 1/2 years we were a little surprised our second attempt was so success full ....... see I just ramble on, could be the meds.

Anyway, I spent 10 years in the US Navy, got out one month before catastrophe of the Twin Towers and Pentagon. This led me back to government service for 5 years working with TSA. I quit when I was over ruled by a supervisor who told an 80 yr old woman she could not take her Polident! Now I am working at a great job with L-3 Communications where we train Army Pilots to fly helicopters via simulators.

Graduated in 2008 with my BS in Applied Computer Science with a minor in Business Administration. Just wish that Troy University provided classes in Linux or even Unix though it is not as widely used now.

My son saw what I am doing now and asked if I could make him a small simulator. Got started on it, but he lost interest, hey he is only 9. Then he asked me to build him a Railroad traffic arm that would lower when the train approached. That worked well, felling pretty good about myself I found about the same thing on ebay for just over $10! oh well we had fun.

Now we are working on building a line following robot that will follow different colored lines when directed by the xbee.

wish us luck,
Todd

BotTweaker
03-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Hello my name is Scott Portocarrero. I am 31 years old and have been building robots for about 4 years. I have yet to complete one without tearing it apart and starting over. I guess it's my ADD.....oh yeah I have ADD also.

For fun I snowboard, wakeboard, and mountain bike. I also love cars!

I tend to build everything BIG!

uhhh how do I insert pictures???

I tried copying and pasting a Flickr link and it doesn't work

jasongreen
03-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Hi! ...Transformers...More than meets the Eyes

mosaic
03-30-2011, 11:06 PM
Hi all!
I've just landed in this forum, hopefully continue sharing some ideas with you guys in near future!

Kar
04-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Hi All

I'm new to the world of robotic. I have ordered my first robot from
the team at trossen's and i have worn a path in the grass out to the front
gate looking to see if the post man is coming down the road.
Putting that aside i am a boiler maker (aka welder) who has spent some time
on lathes and milling machines. I have worked in most areas of metal fab.
So i know a lot about putting things together. Where I lack is in the computing
software zone and i think I'm going to need some help in the weeks to come.

Given my back ground of work if there is any way I can help people
I would be glad to. If you are having problems with some sort of engineering thing
send me a PM with a pic or 2 and I will see what I can come up with.
Now don't go expecting some really nice auto cad art piece sent back to you its been
a good ten years since i looked at that program. Not going to happen.
But i will put some ideas together and get back to u.

I am a big believer in not reinventing the wheel. After all there are all ready a
lot of wheels out there. Just a matter of finding the right one or making your job to suit
one.

OK i will leave it there and look ford to chatting with every one in the weeks to come.

Thanks Garry

gdubb2
04-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Hey Garry,

welcome to the group..

Gary

jhertzberg
04-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Hello, I'm Jeremy R. Hertzberg, BS CMPE (SCA Master Hraefn fram Lindune)
I do some work for the MATE center (http://www.materover.org/main/index.php), providing power and tech support for contests (underwater, international ROV contest).
Mentor the Monterey Peninsula Collage robotics team
Equipment I own:
CNC (1’x2’x3” 2d+) homebuilt
Makerbot (need to do some work on it)
Eggbot-fun fun, fun J
Drill press, table saw, etc…
Goal-MechCombat @ the 2012 robogames
Currently preparing to head back to school for my masters, computer engineering.

Sincerely,

Jeremy

tigrlily
05-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Hello!
My name is Magnus Wahlstrand, and I'm an electrical engineering student at Chalmers University of Technology in Sweden. I've new to robotics and have never really built anything more advance than a distortion pedal for my bass guitar. However, with my new found passion for robots, I hope to have my own robots up and running any time soon.

I'm currently working on my master thesis project which is focused on upgrading a Kondo Khr-1 humanoid robot by changing processor and fitting it with new sensors. Another goal of the project is to implement a more advanced gait than the current open loop-gait, by using Central Pattern Generators and Zero Moment Point-methods so that it can be used for more advanced research in the future. With my lack of robot experience, I'll probably start bombarding the forum with questions any time soon! Look out ;)

Cheers,
Magnus

gdubb2
05-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Hi Magnus,
Welcome to the group.

Gary

thubab2
06-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Hi, my name is Thu Ba and i very love Robot, i hope i'll join to the Asia RoBoCon in next year!
Nice to meet you, all!

Xalu
06-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am in school for computer science (software engineering). Sitting at a computer isn't as much fun as building things so I am trying to get into robotics. Being that my dad is sort of an electronic engineer I figured my base knowledge combined with my growing computer programming skills could lead to a happy marriage. Next semester I am taking digital design along with a couple programming courses...so I figured lets get down and dirty with ROS and play around a bit.

I am going to build off of a platform and thanks to the advice here I'll be starting with an iRobot create. I bought a Roomba as well so I have a working bot as an example for my self.

I am also a self taught web designer/developer with beginner-to-almost-intermediate PHP skills. I figure if anyone needs any help with a web site let me know. I sure could use help here.

See you all around :)

-Xalu

yamanoorsai
06-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Hello All,

My name is Sai. I am a graduate student that in CMU, Pittsburgh. I love making robots.

I request you to have a look at something that I built last semester:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7GT3QzMg2I

I am currently working on a labyrinth maze controller

darkback2
06-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Sweet project. I especially like your video. I coach a FIRST robotics club, and my kids could take some pointers from you.

Cool.

DB

cire
06-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Welcome Sai, cool project!

yamanoorsai
06-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Thank you!

@dark back: I would be glad to help your robotics club if you need of any.. Please Let me know

cybernetics
06-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Hi, I'm Mathieu. I study at Laval University in physical engineering. This summer (2011) I'm working on Bioloid in the robotics lab (http://robot.gmc.ulaval.ca/en/).

The Headacher
08-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Hi all!

My name is Jacco, and I'm graduated as a mechanical engineer and currently working as a 'control engineer' (programming machines etc). I'm currently building my first robot. I've been wanting to do that for quite some time now, but have not done it because of the costs. Of course, I could've started cheaply, but let's be honest: the more interesting things always cost big :wink:. Now my financial situation has improved and I can finally start building robots!

So, I spent a lot of time trying to decide what I was actually going to make, researching my options, writing down the pro's and cons, until I was relatively sure what I was going to build. My robot is based on an old r/c toy that I had lying around for a lot of years. It's a rather mean looking NIKKO truck, scale about 1:10. It was a little harder to use than I had anticipated, because it was a toy and not a hobby R/C truck with separate parts. The robot will be controlled by a roboard 110 running Linux and programmed mostly in C++. I have mounted a pan/tilt kit that will hold some sensors and a webcam.

The hardware part is coming together nicely. I'm not sure about all the sensors yet; I got me 2 infrared distance sensors and a parallax ping to experiment with. If I like the results I may buy more of them, or try others if I don't.

I have enough things to keep me busy for quite a while. I wrote some C++ code to capture an image from the webcam, "convert" it to B/W (the camera outputs YUYV by default, so all I really did was get the y pixels) and write a .bmp file. Then I got my hardware from Trossen Robotics and started playing with that :D. So there's lots of programming still to be done for even the most basic things. This is one of the main reasons for me to start robotics; I want to learn how to interface with hardware in Linux, and I want to get better at programming C/C++ with a nice project.

My project can be found here: https://sites.google.com/site/theheadacher/robot . There's not a lot on there yet; pictures will be there some time, but currently the bot doesn't look good enough to take pictures of it yet.

jason7
08-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Hi guyz,
My names Jason . Completed my BE in electronics and telecommunications from DBIT kurla. Worked with infosys for about 6 months , got trained in languages like C, C++ JAVA SAP-ABAP the works .. being from an EXTC background Infosys wasnt really kind to me. Used to study late into the nights. Nywayz completed my training in May sumtime. Decided to give up infosys as I wanted to pursue a career in robotics. Joined ThinkLABS IIT Bombay in june 2011. Did two courses with them on Mobile Robotics and the other on Embedded systems. I'm planning on doing my masters now in robotics and hence the application process to the universities takes alot of time . Since I decided to give up Infosys and take up robotics I'v been trying to work my ass off to gain some knowledge on the same. Listening to open course lecs from stanford university and MIT . Also downloaded alot of e-books 147 to be precise. Started reading a book on ' Build your own underwater robot and other wet projects ' by Harry Bohm and vickie jensen. Could really use the help, if you have anything to offer.

dima25
08-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Hello All,

My name is Dmitriy i am in Portland, OR looking into getting into Robotics as a hobby and possibly competing in Mech Warfare. I curently work for Comcast in their Advanced Services IP support department, we usually deal with IP configs, VoIP and docsis environments. For some reason i have always been close to technology, maybe because of my dad who worked with the old school resistors, transistors, and read me logrithmic functions to put me to sleep while he was finishing up his MBA in radio electronics (or something of the sort). I remember scouring the middle school library to find any robot books I could sponge up.

Now i am married with two wonderful children Nikki and Johnny. My wife Tanya is as different from me as a proton and an electron. But we fit together like a puzzle. So whenever she is out of the house, or sleeping i rush to my robotic hobbies and hope i can finish something.

I am currently learning C and C++ to be able to easily program my Bioloid Kit i am putting together and just hoping i can get any help and collaboration from people interested in the same thing.

cire
08-31-2011, 10:08 PM
Hi Dimitriy, the Bioloid kit is a great first step for making a mech. A lot of the existing mechs started off from one of those kits. Hope to see you at mech warfare next year!

dima25
09-01-2011, 03:38 AM
That's my goal, I have the Premium kit, if anyone has any suggestions or tips on that particular kit that would save me some time please don't hesitate to PM or e-mail me. :) Does the CM-510 that comes in the kit use just "C" or "C++"?

dima25
09-01-2011, 03:57 AM
:) :) :)

starsword
09-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Hiii I'm Edwin

dinasour88
10-09-2011, 05:35 AM
Hi I m Kong from Malaysia.

Mdnashkumar
10-09-2011, 06:18 AM
HI FRINZ,

I am Mdnash :o from Malaysia.

scar308
10-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Hello guys. My name is Romeo. Ive been interested in robotics for a long time, been watching this forum on and off about 3 years now. Since iam done with school and have free time, Ive decided to take the plunge.

Currently I am a radiology technologist. Have never taken any classes regarding programing or robotics. But I know what I want to do.

My hobbies are, RC anything (been doing RC as a hobbie for 15 years), photography, shooting range(my name implies that), snowboarding and dirtbike riding!

animaniac
10-14-2011, 12:56 PM
hi, I'm better at mechanics and math than programming, but I decided to try my luck at building an hexapod

marin_istra
10-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Hello people:)

Name is Marin, country Croatia, from region Istria, "town" is Hum, smallest in the world;)
Currently living and studying in Rijeka, mechanical engineering on University of Rijeka and IT on Polytechnics of Rijeka.
Planning for degree work on some humanoid like robot.

Interest in robotics, programming, design and music...
As I can see, here are some pretty smart and awesome people. I am delight that I will be able to learn from you some cool new suff...

Cheers,

Marin

Ron
10-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Hello all,
Name here is Ron I am located in Rhode Island, USA. I am New to robotics, But have been building Rc kits since back in the early 80's , I also Build and fly RC helicopters. My other Interests include Computers , and Photography, and Pc gaming. I have been a tinker' since I was a little kid and always took everything apart. I learned to solder when I was 8. I build all my own PC's and I Am proficent with all versions of windows back to 3, DOS, some linux experience. Limited but some coding experience as well. I just recently completed my first robot, A Bioloid Premium Humanoid type A .

eopnerrad
10-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Hello everyone, my names Darren. I live in St.Louis and I am studying Mechanical Engineering at the University of Missouri - St.Louis and Washington University. I also work full time as an intern. I joined the forum because robotics has always interested me and it seems like there is a ton of gerat information here. Looking forward to posting and reading!

polo974
11-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Hello,
My name is Paul, I live in Reunion, a small French island in the Indian Ocean (55°30'E, 21°00'S).

I tinker currently a mix of a delta3 and Orthoglide.
For the prototype, the arms are already made of cardboard (yes, really ... but not anyhow!).
The muscles will be very little (cheap) geared motors,
The angle sensors (on the motor side) come out of old PC mice,
The brain will probably be based on an STM32.

The ultimate goal is to achieve a simpler and less expensive variation of the RepRap (except ... generous donors :wink: ).

(Be lenient with my english, I am assisted by a robot ...:p)

LisaJensen
11-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Hi, I'm Lisa. I'm a phycisist/mathematician. Just finished my grad dip in signal processing. My day job is mostly remote sensing and mathematical modelling. I'm really interested in efficient sustainable food production. I'm attempting to set up a low maintenance permaculture food forest in my backyard. I'm hoping I will be able to develop robots to harvest my crops.

0ctopus
12-12-2011, 04:14 AM
Hi guys!

My names is Al, and I'm programmer and games developer.

oheunseok
12-27-2011, 05:20 AM
HI, My name is oheunseok, and I am robot teacher in South Korea.

I'm having 10's of Bioloid Premium kit,

3's of RX-64 + RX-28 + RX-24F 3Kg humanoid robots,
and so on...

I'm interested in robotics, and Computers.

! robotics
01-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Hello all,
My name is heri, i'm from Indonesia...

!Alan!
01-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Hi i'm Alan new to the forum, glad to be here!

Mr_Luckylegs
01-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Hello All,

My name is Maurice, I am currently stationed in Washington, USA. I am in the Navy as an Weapon's Tech and have been in for seven years and counting. I'm happily married,and have two children and an awesome dog named Ceasar. My off duty interest are in customizing my own computers , outdoor and indoor shooting events, PC only gaming, and art. My Programming and robotics background is close to zero, but I do have experience in Visual Basic. Hopefully by being in this forum I will gain more knowledge finally create my own robot.

elaughlin
01-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Hello All,

My name is Maurice, I am currently stationed in Washington, USA. I am in the Navy as an Weapon's Tech and have been in for seven years and counting. I'm happily married,and have two children and an awesome dog named Ceasar. My off duty interest are in customizing my own computers , outdoor and indoor shooting events, PC only gaming, and art. My Programming and robotics background is close to zero, but I do have experience in Visual Basic. Hopefully by being in this forum I will gain more knowledge finally create my own robot.

You could easily create your own robot LuckyLegs. Look into the Bioloid Comprehensive or even beginner set. Those will get you rolling in the right direction very easily, and includes everything. -Spoken from someone with the same type of background before getting into the Uber-Popular Robotics scene.

Digitizer
01-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Greetings,

My name is Andrei, and I've always thought of robotics as a thing not for me. But now I REALLY have this idea stuck in my head to build a four-wheeled cat nemesis named Ruckus One. It will be based on RoBoard (already ordered), and it's my chance to brush up on algorithms, mechanics, electronics, and AI. I have electric engineering degree that I've never used, and now I can.

My weakest point here is mechanics, not programming, as I do that for a living.

It looks like this board has a WEALTH of information.

Shani
01-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Hi !
I am Zeeshan. My age is 25. I am BE in Industrial Electronics Engineering and MS in Control Systems Engineering.
Currently I am doing my PhD in Control and Mechatronics Department in University of Paderborn, Germany.
Regards,
Zeeshan

Mitchell
01-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Hi all,
Since everybody is dropping a short line here, I am also a newbie to the forum. My name is Mitchell and nice to be a member here :cool:.

auro
01-30-2012, 03:46 AM
I'm John and I'm 18. I live in southern california and I play a lot of rythem games DDR,Guitarhero,Beatmania (that sort of thing). I was the programmer for a robotics team in high school but I hated how simple our robot was because of inexperienced electronics and mechanical people. They actually hunted me down one year just to write like six lines of code for them for their a single pwm motor that was driving a really simple arm. Anyway, I'm really interested in bridgeware because I would like to try and make something more sophisticated and actually gets the job done on my own.

syd999
02-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Hullo. I'm Ana from the Philippines. Currently in grad school figuring out the meaning of life and SLAM. First stumbled here (more than a year ago) while researching how to work around the blind spot for the AX-12 motors. I was working on my Related References when I found lnxfergy's introduction to localization and mapping and found it to be a very nice article :)

!!!##00ToodB
02-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Hello friend, I just join today!

gdubb2
02-02-2012, 03:38 PM
To all the newcomers..

Welcome to the group..
Gary

vgaspar
02-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Hello from Portugal

I am finishing my Master degree on Electric Eng. Building and controling a Delta Robot.

Pleasure to be here

pbandj80
02-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Hi all,

I am Pattie I am a WFM/data analyst with a telecommunications company. I live in Westchester, Illinois.

I know nothing about robots except that they are geek magnets and my fiance Jim is a geek. :o

I am actually here because of him, I have been looking for a cool idea for Valentines day and last night he left this website up on the cane robot picture. Anytime the robo-cop movies are on he makes me watch them so I figured he must of really thought the robot was cool. So I thought it would be fun to buy a kit and put together a robot together. Probably, a guys worst nightmare but oh well.

In your opinion which beginner robot is the coolest? Any chance one of them could stand up to a dog that loves to attack things? Right now he terrorizes a zhu zhu pet that I received as a gag gift and Jim thinks that hiding the zhu zhu in the house and watching the dog go nuts trying to find it as the zhu zhu makes all its irritating and annoying chirps is hilarious.

Thanks all and good day!

Pattie

TexasPete71
02-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Pete from Houston Texas here....

I totally failed the security question...that's a testament to years of moving from school to school as a youth.

Anyway, I am an inventor (www.raptorrigs.com) who has a love affair with things mechanical. I am working on a huge robotics friendly project that will be the most enjoyable thing I have dumped my paychecks on.

I look forward to learning lots from all you gurus of gadgetery!

Pete

Mich
03-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Hi,

I just signed up today and following the instructions from my first PM, am introducing myself.

I did some work in this field as an undergrad where a prof. had a neat little lab setup. There were a few of us undergrads and about 5 grad students, which made it fun. Today, I tinker around a bit in my garage and just do it as a fun filled hobby. :happy:

I figured, I would join this forum and hopefully learn something and give some back as well.

I hope to meet everyone soon.

Mich

Mongo
03-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Hi guys an gals
My handle is Mongo (Blazing Saddles fame... imitation not original)My name Is Les I live In New Zealand I have virtually no electronics programming background... Played with rc cars as a youth. I saw your mech warfare Vids and whentOMG!!!WTH... WHY HAVE I NOT FALLEN OVER THIS SOONER!!... when my pulse returned to normal I wondered if I was up to the challenge. the wife didn't think so and I backed my dreams down to rc tank warfare ... as a way in... I have a long history of paintball and more recently Airsoft... martial arts and video games so I guess I kinda fit in. I hope that one day people on this side of the planet get to have as much fun as you lot appear to... it pushes most of my buttons as can only happen with big kids... I think the skills and nouse that goes into your bots is fantastic and I hope to be part of this sport/pass time for years to come... Gidday from south /east of Aussie.

roborobot123
03-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Hello everyone!

I am new to TRC and robotics in general and just wanted to start off by saying hi! I'm very excited to start learning about all of the cool things you can do and create with robotics and think this is the best place to do it!

Looking forward to getting to know you all better and learning from your expertise!

DresnerRobotics
03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Glad to have you, and welcome. :)

shimniok
03-13-2012, 06:57 AM
Greetings and welcome!

!loveapple
03-14-2012, 04:30 AM
greeting to every1,

i'm andre
new member here :D

martinje
03-14-2012, 09:15 PM
hello im jon iam still in high schoo i started working on a cart like thing that i could drive around on and was lokking for the innovation first robot controller/driver interfac an found this website and went hay if i get stuck on something i can look here instead of worrying about seeing my teacher

for fun i mess with things take them apart and see how i can turn it into something else i like to read fiction and iam currently competing in first robotics competition

i dont have ajob but hopefully will get one soon and i dont have a picture of myself so there now i introduced myself

trochoi_viet
03-14-2012, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=Tyberius;6005]Hey guys,

I figured since this community seems to be growing at a good pace, we could start a thread to introduce ourselves. Feel free to let other members know what you do for a living, what you do for fun (you know, aside from robotics), and maybe post a picture of yourself. Post as little or as much as you want.

TessaH
03-16-2012, 04:35 AM
hey!my name is Tessa and i am glad to join :)
i don't do much aside from robotics,
just some software stuff (i am the developer of photo editor (http://easyphotoeditor.org/))
nice to meet you guys!)

Tek
03-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Hi, i have completed my degree in Mechatronics and my final year project was based on Robotics and artificial intelligence with computer vision. Please find below the youtube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11NHGEm5ACg

Well, wats interesting is that i managed to build it out of scrap!!.. about 95% of the motors, sensors and structure was obtained from wastes. i was amazed how interesting things we can get from wastes.. Optical sensors, loadcell, stepper motors. However some scraps obtained had to be machined to suite the specific use.

wanted to grew up more ideas about using scrap to build robots..

Team V2
03-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Hello All,

My name is Tony and my son (pending his moms approval) are excited to join this forum. I have a mechanical background,
mold maker, machinist, use to race r/c cars 1/10, 1/5 and Qscale.

I am interested in developing a Mech for fun with my son and be able to blast things with Airsoft and such.

Is there a small group in the Los Angeles, Ca area?

Thanks again for letting us in.
Tony and Son
Los Angeles, Ca.:tongue:

gdubb2
03-17-2012, 11:23 AM
To all the new folks.. Welcome to the group.. Have fun..

If at all possible, I highly recommend attending Robogames next month. There's something there for everyone.

Gary

KOGR
03-19-2012, 11:03 AM
This is Richard from Calgary Alberta. New in robotics or mechatronics in general, felt the need to learn more after getting my team's bottoms kicked soundly on a first year engineering project last year by an ex mechatronics expert with 10 years experience. My team decided to join a group in calgary called Western Canadian Robotics this week, and I felt it would be a great opportunity to be able to join an online community that can help us beginners.

Rolling Robots
03-22-2012, 12:43 AM
We are new here, I am representing my students, we teach robotics to very you kids age 5 to about 13 . My students call me Dr. K the robot doctor, if your robot is sick bring it to Dr. K and we will fix it up, also if you have a new robot project coming into this world Dr. K can help with the "delivery" See our site here: rollingrobots.com this year we have a team going to Robogames 2012, here is their page: http://rollingrobots.com/robogames-team-2012/team-members

Firion74
03-26-2012, 07:02 AM
Hi all,
I am a newbie from FRANCE and new to robotic. My name is stephane, i’m 30 years old, and nice to be a member here :tongue:. To be honest, my English is not very good, so forgive me of the spelling and grammar. I've been into robots since the first time I saw terminator, robotech... and now I wanted to build one by myself so I bought a Bioloid premium kit few days ago, because of the possibilities for beginners and more…

Sorry for my futur stupids questions about the subject!!!!

djringis
03-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Hi I am DJ, i recently graduated with a degree in electrical engineering. I currently work at Rolling Robots and we are putting together a team for the robogames this year. I hope I can help and be helped with questions about the mechwarfare robot.

I live in socal, I play video games but im not exactly a gamer, same for sports actually, I play sports but I am not an athelete. Got into toying around with robots when I was 14 and got a Mindstorms set. Have been tinkering around with electronics since then.

afctong
04-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Hi my name is Tong and I come from Hong Kong. I recently finished my computer science degree. I don't have much knowledge in robotics but this is always my interest!

It is great that I found that this forum and see u guys showcasing your works! Nice to meet you all!

shimniok
04-12-2012, 02:01 AM
Hi, my name is Michael and I'm a robotics addict. I'm currently working on revision 2 of Data Bus, my mini autonomous ground vehicle, for the Sparkfun AVC. It's a 1/10th scale RC stadium truck with mbed MCU that handles sensor updates from the Pololu MinIMU9, wheel encoders, Venus638FLPX GPS, etc.

This is easily the most ridiculously difficult technical thing I've ever done and involves more math than I've used in 15 years -- back in my computer engineering school days. Wildly fun though, too. And all the prep work of thinking through the math, modeling and simulation in Octave are paying off so far. Hoping to release the robot on its own for a trail run next weekend.

Been interested in robotics since college, ~91 timeframe... but it was pretty out of reach except for the really hardcore. Things are different. I dove in bigtime in 2007 building a robotic firefighter for a local Trinity-style autonomous firefighting competition. That went poorly but I learned a lot, much like my 2011 AVC attempt went poorly but I learned and later equipped the robot with a DIY $30 vision system for detecting the candle. I've done a beam robot, and a bunch of electronics projects in the last 5 years. It's been awesome. So much to learn.

Lots more projects waiting in the wings, everything from other robots to vintage audio repair. Looking forward to learning more here and such.

glaslong
04-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is Matt, I'm from Chicago. I found this site while looking for some info on delta robots. In truth I only signed up because I wanted to see the pictures on mzavatsky's tutorial, but the community on this site looks pretty lively and fun, so I think I'll stay a while. :happy: I'm currently in school about to get my degree in bioengineering, and work at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago doing some software development; both of which I like to ignore completely in favor of hobby robotics and random programming projects. I'm hoping to put together a delta bot some time in the next few weeks (or months because... life), then see if I can't make a halfway decent 3d printer out of it.

TL;DR: Big nerd. This site looks fun. 3D printers.

protopapasgeorge
04-14-2012, 04:41 AM
Hi guys,

I am George, a university student on my final year and i just started working on arduinos and xbee modules. Lets see how much fan we can have with those little things.

hongmao
04-19-2012, 09:58 PM
like swimming shopping reading and so on thanks!

Lupulus
04-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Hi, my name is Mike, and I'd like to do some robotics hobbying!
I live in Cincinnati OH, where I am graduate student in immunobiology. I'm fascinated by infectious disease and the microscopic battle that goes on with immune cells (focus is on Histoplasma). However I also get an itch for mechanics and electronics, and I'd like to scratch it in the near future, probably with one of the bioloid kits. I've done a bit of programming in the past (C++) and some minor electronics repair, RC, etc...but I'm new to robotics! The community here looks very active and I'll probably send out questions if I run into trouble :happy:

Other interests: piano, beer brewing, running, scifi/fantasy, SCUBA

Tek
05-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Hi Mike, could please let me know whether u worked on Immuno Cap 250. :) Thanks.. need some help on that Machine...

Lupulus
05-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Hi Mike, could please let me know whether u worked on Immuno Cap 250. :) Thanks.. need some help on that Machine...

Hi Tek,
Sorry, i haven't worked with any of the Immuno Cap machines...my research is on the "basic science" side of things, so my technical experience is with RT-PCR machines, flow cytometry, etc. rather than the clinical diagnosis stuff like immuno cap...
Good luck!

aa_adnane
05-06-2012, 07:14 AM
Hi Everyone,

My name is adnane and I am 30 years old. I am computer programmer(software engineer) I am from Morocco. Programming has always been part of my life, I like C#, ASP.NET, MVC, SQL Server, WinForm,... . Robots have always interested me. I currently interested in building my first robot using dotNet platform, but I am new in this robotic world, so i need really your helps. Great thank for all member how made this forums.