PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

DresnerRobotics
02-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Hey guys,

I figured since this community seems to be growing at a good pace, we could start a thread to introduce ourselves. Feel free to let other members know what you do for a living, what you do for fun (you know, aside from robotics), and maybe post a picture of yourself. Post as little or as much as you want.

I'll start it off!

My name is Andrew, I'm a Network Admin for a smaller IT firm based in Portland, OR. I've worked in the IT field for about 6 years, working for Intel for quite some time as a network admin/teacher, AT&T and some contract work for the gov't. I've been building programmable robots since I was 13.

Update: I started working for Trossen Robotics in 2008.

Alex
02-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Maybe we need an off-topic forum? This would fit better there~

Done, and done Tyberius, thanks for the suggestion! I've been rolling that idea around a bit, and after talking to some peeps here about it and seeing that others wanted it as well, I decided why not?

DresnerRobotics
02-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Well done Alex, now introduce yourself :p

Alex
02-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Well done Alex, now introduce yourself :poh yeah, hehe.

My name is Alex. I work here at Trossen Robotics as well. I was the first hire, hired back in April '05, back when we were still Phidgets USA.

My official title is Systems Analyst / Administrator, which covers a lot of what I do, but I am pretty much everywhere. Basically if it involves technical expertise, I'm the guy who looks into the feasibility, development & execution. You name it, I do it; programming, architecture, administration, setup & deployment, marketing, website design, database work, operations, order packing, vendor orders, and even a little accounting (ewe). I don't get to play around with the goodies as much as I used to though:( I really hope to get back into that sometime soon.

Outside of work, I love gaming, but not so much the online type. I'm more of a hermit when it comes to my games. I have an awesome finance (update wife:)), Heather. We've been together since 2003. UPDATE: We're having our first child this June (2011); Her name will be Lexi.

Here's a pic of Heather and I back in I think '07 (?) when we were in Colorado:

Check out my Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/alexward78) for more info:)

Dave
02-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Nice intros, guys!

Hi, I'm Dave. When I'm not at work, I'm usually absorbing knowledge, tinkering around with electronics, playing guitar or bass, or banging random objects together to see what kind of sounds they make. I also spend a lot of time in weird bars seeing weird bands and meeting weird people. I am a fiend for music; the more subversive, the better. I live with two other miscreants in an apartment in Chicago.

Like Alex, I'm a DeVry graduate. My degree is EET, which is like the Wal Mart version of an EE degree. I started working here in... July '06, I think. When I'm at work, I'm something called a "Product Engineer." We're still not entirely sure what that means. I maintain all of the technical information in our catalog, evaluate and review new products, handle a bunch of hardware-related tech support type stuff, and help customers figure out what they need when they're planning a project. Another important part of my job is harassing Alex. I think Matt may have hired me because I'd worked with Alex when we were in college and had plenty of Alex harassment experience. ;)

I don't have a decent picture of myself readily available, so here's a monkey with my name on it:

JonHylands
02-05-2008, 09:26 PM
As my user name implies, I'm Jon...

I'm 40, married, into.... wait a sec, this isn't that kind of forum, is it?

Okay, so I'm a professional software developer, been writing code for something like 27 years now. I started doing embedded development and building robots in 1997, although I've been building mechanical stuff since I was a little kid. My first computer was an Apple //c, and I spent many hours hacking 6502 assembler...

My main goal in robotics right now is to do research and development on advanced AI. I have a lot of ideas about how intelligence can work in a robot (see my MicroRaptor (http://www.bioloid.info/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=MicroRaptor) page for some details).

I'm not really into music, I like sailing and off-roading (Jeeps (http://www.huv.com/jon/jeep) are my thing), reading, playing video games with my 3 kids (all boys), and all things with an outdoor/wilderness setting.

Oh yeah - I'm Canadian :veryhappy:

- Jon

ps - the picture below is one of me on my 40th birthday, last September...

Zenta
02-06-2008, 02:12 AM
Hi!

Nice initative Tyberius!

I'm Kåre Halvorsen (Zenta) from Norway, age 35. I'm not married yet.. I and my fiance have two kids (both boys, age 1,5 and 3,5 years).

I work at The Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service. I work with solutions and facilities for persons with disabilities: stairlifts, platformlifts, home lifts and environmental control.

My personal interests are robotics (electronics, mechanics and some programming), RC (cars, boats, helicopters), model train and photography.

We also love to walk trips in the nature.

A picture of me and my eldest son:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc6/ZentaOlbaid/KreogHT.jpg

wind27382
02-06-2008, 08:12 AM
I guess I probably should introduce myself. My name is chris sanders and I live In the state of Ohio. I have just decided to take some time off from the art institute of Pittsburgh. While I was their I studied game art and design, and my hobbies are animation, and i would love to get into some robotics. Right now my goal is to build a real time Virtual Reality game.

I know that the task seems impossible with the budget that I currently have but I have been studying game design for well over 3 years. and I am rather proud of my cgi Graphics. And last year I started learning how to program, so I fiquired now was the time to try and build it.

Matt
02-06-2008, 12:34 PM
I suppose I better post before I get yelled at :)

I'm Matt Trossen, 32. I used to be a PM/IT Manager for York Enterprise Solutions (http://www.yorksolutions.net/). I was in charge of building up their data center and productivity tools for the recruiters and sales people. After a few years the data overload started making me dizzy so I started to think about projects I could build at home for fun to take my mind off work. I wanted to build an immersive VR thingamajigger that would synchronize sound, visual stimulus and physical stimulus. I was trying to think of how to build it when I realized I couldn't recall squat about what I learned in electronics in high school. I thought to myself, what I need is a component in Visual Basic that I can code to that has a real world physical component that's plugged into the USB port. Something that let's me control motors and lights and relays and takes input from switches and knobs and stuff. I literally sat up in my bed at 2 am and thought, holy shit, that's a great idea! That allows computer programmers to break the boundries of the screen and build anything they want.

As with any decent idea, a single person rarely is the only one to have it. I searched the internet researching what was out there that was similar and I found Phidgets (http://www.phidgets.com/), a Canadian company that was already building the exact idea of what I was thinking of. I was deflated and bummed out for awhile, but then I realized that this could be a blessing in disguise. They were doing a great job building the components and truth be told I didn't know squat about building such things. I'd rather be an evangelist and sell the idea and products. So I got into contact with them, they agreed to let me take a shot at the US market and PhidgetsUSA.com was born. Phidgets are a product line of what I now refer to as bridgeware (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/tutorials/bridgeware.aspx), Hardware components that bridge the worlds of electronics and computer programming. As with many new technologies, they are often first created, then experimented with to find a need they fulfill. To me, robotics seems to be screaming for bridgeware and for the modern processor to evolve in order to realize the many advancements people have been trying to get to. With this in mind, Trossen Robotics was born. We felt that there was a gap in the market for a true robotics hardware store that also would focus on the forward thinking movement of adapting to the computer as the processing platform. So we built it :)

So here we are, building a kick ass community of innovators who are moving robotics forward in their basements and garages. My greatest thrill is seeing what kind of amazing things people are building. I would like to personally thank everyone who has been helping start this new community that is really starting to look like a game changer. I very excited about where this is going and can't wait to see it evolve.

Outside of work I'm an avid reader of mostly nonfiction, huge movie buff (fan of indie dramas and comedies), like techno lounge / ambiant / hard to define music like Portishead, Delerium, Hooverphonic etc. I grew up as a long haired ripped jean wearing burn out in the 80s. I used to be a bit of a gym rat in my 20s, but haven't quite kept it up lately, I think it's time to find less joint destroying ways of being healthy :) I went to SIU for film, but dropped out because I decided I didn't want to be a starving artist. However, I still write and plan to go back to it someday. Maybe after we have finished creating the genesis of a robotic society that will destroy the human race...

Oh, this is me with a batch of Trossen1 bots:

DresnerRobotics
02-12-2008, 12:42 PM
I know there are more people lurking here, cmon now, don't be shy!

MYKL
02-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Hail friends and well met,

I can be defined as an artest I suppose. I enjoy creating in any medium that my mind and hands can get wrapped around. I am a mechanical designer by trade and am thus able to use some wonderful software to model my projects that become too complicated for just puttering around with. I have a potters wheel. I attend a Ren-Faire annually (thus the war hammer and swords). I enjoy Japanese anime emensely (especially that which includes giant man-machine interfaced robotics/mecha). I am 37 and have been married for 14 years this last November. I am learning Madarin Chinese. I go to the gym 5 days a week (before work). My dream is to build a working Landmate/Patlabor type machine. I have a lot of the details worked out already, its the lack of time and rescources that keeps me from subdueing the wor... Building a friendly armoured suit. For construction and fire fighting. Mmm Hmm.

Mechanically I enjoy robotics. My sculpting and jewelry making have come in good stead for haveing the right tools at the right time. Also I live in/near Los Angeles. If it exists I can find it and use it. There are some few benefits to living within this crowded space.

It is meet to know you all. May our kindred focus bring robotics out of its infancy and into full blown biomimetic anthroporphic life...

*Deepest Bow of Respect*

^_^

asbrandsson
02-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Hello,

I am a worker bee, that has been interested in autonomous robotics all my life. I think that now we are in a time when everthing is there to make it possible but someone to actually do it.

Asbrandsson

kdwyer
02-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Welcome to the asylum, er, website.
Read, post, learn, interface, repeat as needed.
Apply to infested area.

Let us know what you're working on!

darkback2
02-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Hey Guys,
My name is Che, and I live on Whidbey Island. I am currently teaching biology and robotics which are both great fun. I've been teaching for about 8 ears now, and I am currently trying to get a few of my robots into art galleries in the seattle area.

I build robots and put them in movies.

I also play violin and guitar in a technology based rock band.

OK...nuff said

I think this is a picture of me.
http://www.myhitechlife.net/robotchoppers/cheedoga.jpg

Alex
02-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Welcome darkback2!

I also play violin and guitar in a technology based rock band.

"Technology" based rock band? You definitely sparked my interest. Do you have any recordings online anywhere? Do tell:D

jahnnex
02-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi Everyone,

My name is Patrick and I am 25 years old. I am computer programmer/engineer working for a large consulting firm in Chicago. Not sure that it is my favorite choice of employment but it pays the bills. I hold a master's degree in computer science. Programming has always been part of my life since I was probably 12 years old. So naturally robots have always interested me. I currently interested in building humanoids, but am willing to build anything as long as it seems cool to me. If I am not in front of a computer, then I am usually out playing soccer.

specsix
02-19-2008, 02:33 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have been using phidgets since the old days of phidgetsusa.com. Phidgets have made a lot of things possible for me because it has allowed me to focus more on computer science theory and software engineering. I have a BS in computer science and an MBA. I love robotics, home theater, car audio, and tactical shooting.

I am currently using phidgets on my new Wall-E project. http://www.wall-ealive.com/blog

devilDroid
02-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Hi Guys~ I'm a User Interface Designer and Developer. I create interfaces for both web and Windows. I approached this career from the graphics design vector--or, if you want to go back far enough, 3d modeling and animation, multimedia authoring, and video. I have a MS in Information Design & Technology from GA Tech.

I've taught myself a good bit of VB in the past 3 years, and am starting to pick up C#. We use Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 at work. In an effort to get in touch with my inner geek, I've started playing around with Microsoft's Robotics Development Kit and XNA (xBox-based 3d game development) in my spare time.

I don't own any Trossen Robotics products, which probably puts me a little out of place. I found your feed through Google Reader's recommendations, then followed a link about your latest contest winners. Kudos to Alex on the internet marketing...

I made my first serious attempt at building a robot around eight years ago. I was doing it all from a book (Applied Robotics, I think), buying parts as I went. I managed to build the chassis out of a circuit board, mounting the wheels, motors, and breadboard. I considered that to be an accomplishment at the time. You have to realize it was my first, non-virtual (read: making sh#t in the real world) endeavor. I had never even assembled a model kit at the time.

Alas, I got stuck when I hit the electronics chapter. Apparently, the author assumed everyone knew how to read a schematic. I've tried to learn electronics through various books and kits since, but always get stuck in the lack of "why" explanations. I haven't given up yet, but tend to have an iterative approach, and right now I'm more focused on programming.

This thread was an excellent idea, Tyberius. I can connect with several similarities: Jon Hylands on Artificial Intelligence, Matt on VR, wind27382 on 3d, game dev, and VR, and, of course, everyone on robotics.

I don't really have any good photos of myself. I seem to have been born without the "strike a pose" gene. Here's one of me on something called The Ramp to Salvage-tion at Crash-o-rama:

http://www.devildroid.com/App_Themes/images/blog/ramp2salvagetion_small.jpg

Alex
02-19-2008, 09:35 AM
I don't own any Trossen Robotics products, which probably puts me a little out of place.

Not at all devilDroid! I'm sure there are quite a few members here that don't own any of our products.

MYKL
02-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Well met double D...

There are a few of us here that are more mechanically inclined then electrically bent. I like to fool people into thinking I'm an artest. I use 3D design at work and I've dabbled in some of the animation packages but most of my work is hands on. I'd love to see the the GUI for robot programming become as intuitive as the ones for those animation applications. IK and Rev. IK bones systems. To program a construct before actually realizing it physically using the physics engines these programs have would be a real boon IMHO.

Did they 'save' those heathen cars or are they still standing there waiting for the coming of the 'ford'?

Heh...

^_^

JonHylands
02-19-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm a software developer by trade, but didn't touch electronics until I started doing robotics. I've had to learn everything I know about electronics the hard way, from books, forums like this, and talking to people who know a whole lot more about it than I do.

Get yourself a solderless breadboard kit, and don't worry about reading schematics. Build a microcontroller circuit that can flash an LED, or control a motor. Digital electronics for the most part is "insert tab A into slot B" kind of stuff nowadays, so even electronics newbies can do it.

- Jon

devilDroid
02-19-2008, 10:20 AM
I'd love to see the the GUI for robot programming become as intuitive as the ones for those animation applications. IK and Rev. IK bones systems...

Did they 'save' those heathen cars or are they still standing there waiting for the coming of the 'ford'?

GUI is my thing. MYKL~ you just gave me a whole new purpose...

Oddly enough, I think it was FordZilla that smashed through those cars. They got religion smack dab through their chassis.

Thanks guys, for the electronics/newbie pep talk. I'd probably quote some of it, but I'm a newbie to posting too...

I just realized that first pic of me is small enough to be creepily ambiguous. Here's one of me and my brainiac husband, Jon, in front of the tar pits:
http://www.devildroid.com/App_Themes/images/blog/TarryEyed_small.jpg
Yes, the mini-skirt-and-combat-boot combo seems to be the norm for me. You get to see my busted knee from dropping my Kawasaki Z1000 and everything. (This was a couple of years ago. I'm all healed up now.)

MYKL
02-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Will your brainiac husband be joining us also M'Lady? What do you need knees for when your significant other looks like he could tote you around like a knapsack?

There is a man that posts here that has made the most outstanding programming aid using Ex-cell I believe:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1352&page=3

I think that most of his interface would be useful for the norsemen amongst us...

I'd love to see something that could be this helpful but work with other form factors like bi-peds and bots with hands... Oh...Oh and maybe snake bots and fish bots...

I've seen what MAYA and 3D Studio can do. Even Truespace makes a very robust program with a great GUI. I know that a program could be put together with a physics engine like these programs use to create code for the artests/animators amongst us.

devilDroid
02-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Brainiac husband is busy trying to take over the wor... I mean develop a multi-course racetrack. The site is fairly bare now since they're focused on potential investors but: http://www.firstcoastracing.com/.

The robotics budget (currently zero dollars and zero cents) has put our rc lawnmower project on hold, but Jon designed a schematic for it and everything. So, yes, maybe he'll be joining us one day.

Oh and for a size comparison, I'm six feet tall. ;)

Truespace was my very first 3d software. Ah the nostalgia... Maya is complicated as hell but way cool. I keep meaning to get back into it. Maybe a devilDroid prototype is what needs to happen while the robotics budget is on hiatus. Doesn't cost anything to plot and scheme. Moo-hoo-hoo-ha-ha-ha!

Checking out your links now...

Alex
02-19-2008, 12:03 PM
I've had to learn everything I know about electronics the hard way, from books, forums like this, and talking to people who know a whole lot more about it than I do.

Wow! Props to you Jon, I did not know that. I knew you had the software development background, but had no clue that you didn't have any prior electronics experience. Again man, WOW!

cmmguy
03-02-2008, 11:59 AM
My name is "J"

Married with teenage kids, one dog, two cats.

I am interested in computer controlled anything. I have my own business programming industrial robots and programming custom industrial applications for the metrology side of manufacturing. I have written a couple custom apps wrapped around the phidget products... They are so easy to economically solve real world problems with...

Also do design work in Inventor. I would be happy to help any hobbyist with a project if I can.

I am older than most of you guys and am uncomfortable with the direction robots and our government is going with them. I believe that the 2nd amendment extends to our ability to defend against government robots. I know this sounds cynical but all of the experimenting that you guys do will keep us safer with knowing how to counter the eventual mis-use of robots. The flying of UAV's over Miami is a bad sign....

misiu
03-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Name is Adam.

27, unmarried, computer geek.

I just like to tinker. Current ongoing projects are a UAV, and a web controlled house patroll tank with airsoft cannon (on hold while working on UAV)

I would love to say something profound but at the moment i have somewhat of a hangover. So thats all for now.

mdenton
03-07-2008, 05:33 AM
Hi,

My name is Matt Denton, my company name is micromagic systems ltd (http://micromagicsystems.com). I design and build hexapod robots such as iC hexapod (http://hexapodrobot.com). You can see most of my creations on my website. :)

http://www.hexapodrobot.com/images/ic_matt.jpg

This is iC hexapod and myself at the Monster Mash Gallery, February 2008, London.

[email protected]

twaller
03-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Hi everybody I'm Tom. I'm a telecom engineer working for Sprint. I've been in the business long enough that I
worked on the DARPA network for the Defense Communications Agency back in 1990.

I'm coming up on my 40th birthday this year and have a sweet young wife. I'm a big snowboarder in the winter. Summer I scuba and hike. Last year we spent two weeks camping and hiking in Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks.

Now at Sprint i work in Technology Development in the new broadband wireless division and build the broadband wireless WiMAX systems that we take to trade shows and other demos. With the wireless bandwidth we are serving in the neighborhood of 3-5Mbps downlink and 1-2Mbps uplink we have the opportunity to do some interesting remote wireless applications. To showcase the capabilities I was thinking of building a computer controlled robot with real time video and internet control and this looked like a good place to start researching. Can some of you more experienced folks point me in the right direction?

The concept will probably use an OqO model 2 computer because of the small size to control a 4 wheeled or tracked chassis. A USB camera for visuals and a USB or Bluetooth module to control the robot and maybe a servo or two to rotate or tilt the camera. Do you experts have any suggestions for the chassis and USB/Bluetooth robot control module?

Tom

Droid Works
03-08-2008, 05:11 PM
My name is Eric Ewald and I am the CEO of Droid Works robotics,Inc. My main interests are furthering robotics education and meeting other people with a passion for robotics. I have a 6 year old daughter who is my pride and joy. She loves robots also and helps daddy with all his projects.

Alex
03-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Hi twaller! Welcome to the TRC:)

To showcase the capabilities I was thinking of building a computer controlled robot with real time video and internet control and this looked like a good place to start researching. Can some of you more experienced folks point me in the right direction?

I think that would be an excellent topic to start discussing and I'm sure there are plenty of incredibly talented people in this community that would be willing to help ya out! I'd post a new thread in the Robotics General Discussion (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9) forum, or if you already know what type of robot it's going to be, post in the Humands, Walkers & Crawlers (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106) or Rovers (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=116) forums.

I'm pretty stoked to hear what you have to say about WiMAX! I've heard about it and heard a lot of possibilities this brings, but I hardly know a thing about it.

Droid Works - Great to see you finally introduce yourself;)

LinuxGuy
03-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Greetings Programs! :D:D

I'm Dale, and am a newbie here. Thanks to Jon and Alex I was able to get registered here and start participating. ;)

I've been into electronics and computer programming since I was in Junior High school. A friend of mine there and I wrote a program to play the game of Yahtzee in BASIC on an HP-1000E computer system at a local college where I grew up (Eureka, CA). I moved to Oregon just out of High School and have been here ever since. I've dreamed about building robots since High School where I had my first real electronics classes - I took every class that was offered and when there wasn't something, my instructor allowed me to write up an independent study class to do what I wanted to do (experimenting with light sensors). I've always been on the Honor Roll (top 5% or 10% of my class) and am driven to continually learn more (more input, More Input, MORE INPUT!). ;) I got a diploma in Electronics Technology in 1985 (High Honors) but never got the AA degree.

Some of my favorite movies are anything Star Wars (R2D2 for the win!), Star Trek (movies and TV series), anything with Denzel Washington, Independence Day, I Robot, the Indiana Jones movies with Harrison Ford, most anything with Julia Roberts (Pretty Woman, etc), Short Circuit, War Games, Splash, and a bunch of others.

As for music, Fleetwood Mac, Gloria Estafan, Celine Dion, Foreigner, Bob Seger, Sara McLachlan (sp?), Faith Hill, Reo Speedwagon, some Air Supply, Shania Twain, Dr. Hook, Doobie Brothers, Credence Clearwater Revival, etc. I have a varied interest, but I MUST be able to understand the lyrics or I will NOT listen to it. :) RAP and such need not apply as I will not listen to most of it.

I actually started out in Robotics in August of 2006, so that would be my date I started in embedded computing. My first, and still only, robot (W.A.L.T.E.R.) started out as an Octabot II kit from Budget Electronics. As of now, the only original kit part that is on the robot is the front caster, and that will soon be replaced also. :D:D

I also do 3D CAD, which I taught myself. I use Alibre Design (http:/www.alibre.com) Expert (purchased), and designed a set of new and larger decks for W.A.L.T.E.R. which I finally had made by a friend down in California. I've also designed a 3DOF arm to attach to the front of W.A.L.T.E.R. where there is currently a Sharp IR Ranger and a PING sensor. I want to add a TPA81 thermal sensor, a small camera, and a gripper to the end of this arm also and have already designed the attachments for these, although I don't yet have a 3D model of the gripper yet. I have modeled several brackets of the Servo Erector Set (including some just being made available now - I was given the drawings before the brackets became available. made by Lynxmotion (http://www.lynxmotion.com) and several are available on their website. I have also designed several SES compatible brackets I would like to have made at some point.

I will continue developing W.A.L.T.E.R. so that he can eventually do mapping and remember his environment. I am starting to investigate the possibility of using wireless sensor 'beacons' that W.A.L.T.E.R. can home in on and gather data from, including triangulating his own position within the environment. I also very much want to build a hybrid robot I have designed - eight legs and at least four wheels, which is my Walk 'N Roll project. I have I2C compass and RTC modules I will install on W.A.L.T.E.R. as well as a 3-Axis accelerometer. I will be installing shaft encoders on the two wheels too.

I have been venturing into the ARM9 world with a Hammer Board Kit from TinCanTools (http://www.tincantools.com). I am one of the evaluators for it, as others here are such as Jon (I think). I already have my Hammer Carrier board mounted on W.A.L.T.E.R. wwith an SSC-32 servo controller that also has a Sabertooth 2x5 motor controller attached for PWM control mode.

Well, that's all for now, and probably more than anyone wants to know. :)

8-Dale

twaller
03-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Alex, I did what you suggested and posted a new project in the Rover section with what my general ideas are so far. Thanks for the suggestion.

DresnerRobotics
03-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Welcome aboard Dale! Glad you got your account taken care of, I was going to drop a line to Alex to help you out, but I've been in a haze for the past week or so recovery from what appears to be the black plague (or just a really bad cold, if you ask my wife).

I was bummed that I missed the last P.A.R.T.S. meeting due to other obligations and planning my move, but I hope to see you again at next months. Can't wait to see W.A.L.T.E.R.'s new body! Once you get him rebuilt you should submit him to the project contest here.

LinuxGuy
03-13-2008, 02:59 AM
Welcome aboard Dale! Glad you got your account taken care of, I was going to drop a line to Alex to help you out, but I've been in a haze for the past week or so recovery from what appears to be the black plague (or just a really bad cold, if you ask my wife).
Thanks! :D

No worries. Jon got me hooked up and Alex registered me. :) It must be time for me to start a W.A.L.T.E.R. thread here. ;)

8-Dale

archcvd
03-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Heheh why not...

While I'm predominantly a lurker on these fine forums I do have a project I would like to post here soon so I might as well introduce myself.

I'm a 22 year old guy who's working on his CompE degree (hardware stream, I don't like programming all that much...) and I've had an interest in robotics for a very long time. Only recently however have I had the inspiration and money to really start something serious and I've been exploring forums and following people's own adventures ever since.

Outside of hobby electronics, I spend my time playing numerous PC games, snowboarding (live right next to the rockies), graphic design, and partying it up like your average student, heh.

In any case, I really look forward to sharing what I make with you guys and seeing more projects out of all of you!

Attached is a silly picture of me

Eric
03-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Hey all I'm Eric Kinzle,
Hmmm... a bit about me... like Matt's bio, I started out in film/video production, but I went to the University of Iowa instead of SIU (SIU was my second choice, but it had too much a party school rep... sorry Matt!) I worked for ABC news and later Fox News Chicago as a photographer, editor graphic artist, eventually working as a producer. During that time I also was a Steadicam owner/operator and worked on some films.
Graduated 2005 from DePaul with a Master's in Comp Sci and had a specialty in computer vision. My research area was in shape detection. Did some post grad stuff in AI areas like neuro-networks and other machine learning areas. Now I work for a healthcare company based out of Oakbrook doing application development. Robots are now my next phase in research. I have several ideas that I have been wanting to test out for quite some time now. If the theories work out, I hope to use them for my phd work. Now the fun begins!
Here’s my wife and I in Scotland a few years back.
http://www.kinzle.com/images/eric_jennifer.jpg

Gatesunder
03-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Yo . . .

Mostly I'm a programmer, but I've been getting interested in Robotics and electronics lately. I randomly stumbled upon this forum by playing a game where I type in three randomly disassociated words and see what I get in the search results. From the looks of it, I could garner quite a bit of information from these forums, so in the meantime I'll just loiter about soaking it all in. ;)

Mow
03-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Hello all,

After reading the threads on Zenta's Phoenix hexapod and Tyberius' Pico-ITX Board Disco Johnny 5 I was compelled to join.
Though I feel like I'm kind of out of my league compared to the rest of the user base of this site. Not a grad student in computer engineering or programming, not even a college student. High school drop out, hobby programmer, hobby electronics lover. Usually spend most of my time reading books/articles on Artificial Intelligence or PC Hardware/Programming.
Maybe the more I explore/learn on this site will give me some willpower to actualy start a project of my own, keep toying around with too many different thoughts.

Wingzero01w
03-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Hey, my names Stephen and ive been browsing these forums for awhile and have finally decided to join. Im currently a freshman in High school and a complete newbie in robotics. Ive recently joined robotics in late 07' by learning Basic programming with the BOE. I own two robot kits at the moment and the are the BOE-Bot and the lynxmotion BRAT, i have not been able to get to these two kits because i still need some things to start but plan to expand them alots. My ultimate project goals is to have a robot similar to WALL-E (disney) up and running and my long term project (for years) will be a humanoid, which i will hopefully be able to run with an embedded pc and such.

Uh well thats it, see ya around :D

Matt
03-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Hey all I'm Eric Kinzle,
Hmmm... a bit about me... like Matt's bio, I started out in film/video production, but I went to the University of Iowa instead of SIU (SIU was my second choice, but it had too much a party school rep... sorry Matt!)

LOL, Hey Eric, that's okay as it turned out SIU really didn't have a film program, they just pretended too. Drunk teachers that didn't care, angry feminists teachers (both male and female), apathetic staff, and a joke of a film cage where no equipment worked.

The partying was pretty awesome though :) You can get a PHD in that there.

lasernerd
03-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Hello all!
I am new here obviously!

Wizeman
03-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm a 20-year-old HVAC student from Quebec, Canada.

I plan on specializing in the DDC (Direct-digital control) field of HVAC.

To prototype some of my ideas I plan on using parts from Trossen robotics. :D

-Vince

Sienna
03-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Hello All!

My name is Caitlyn. I have a BS in CS from Georgia Tech (yay to the other Techies here!). My specializations were in AI and HCI. Through Robojackets (the college robot club), I realized I probably should have been a ME instead, but it was too late then so I just stuck out the CS course.

Ever since college I have been working with either UAVs or UGVs for defense contractors. Although, I have to say I am getting increasingly frustrated with the customer and defense politics, so I am thinking a career move to private sector, preferably R&D.

Current robots are a tripod (which needs an IMU before any serious work gets done) and a treaded bot, which really is only barely off the ground.

Anyway, I don't have to much more to say, except that I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Thanks!

DresnerRobotics
03-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Hello All!

My name is Caitlyn. I have a BS in CS from Georgia Tech (yay to the other Techies here!). My specializations were in AI and HCI. Through Robojackets (the college robot club), I realized I probably should have been a ME instead, but it was too late then so I just stuck out the CS course.

Ever since college I have been working with either UAVs or UGVs for defense contractors. Although, I have to say I am getting increasingly frustrated with the customer and defense politics, so I am thinking a career move to private sector, preferably R&D.

Current robots are a tripod (which needs an IMU before any serious work gets done) and a treaded bot, which really is only barely off the ground.

Anyway, I don't have to much more to say, except that I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Thanks!

You've got to post your tripod and the video you made of it! I love that bot, very 'outside the box' thinking on designing that.

LinuxGuy
04-04-2008, 09:25 AM
You've got to post your tripod and the video you made of it! I love that bot, very 'outside the box' thinking on designing that.
Oh yeah, Sienna's Tri-Pod (I call it Trippy the Tri-Pod) is so cool! I remember debates as to whether a Tri-Pod would be feasible. Cailtlyn proved it is! I've been thinking of doing research into quadrapods because of what she has proven can be done. Quads are more affordable for me to build too.

8-Dale

metaform3d
04-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I've been lurking but finally decided to join. I like the community you've fostered!

Interesting to see how many people here have a connection to 3D CGI, as that's my profession too. I'm one of the creators of LightWave 3D and am currently CTO at Luxology where I oversee the development of the modo 3D modeling/rendering application. Here's an animation (http://www.luxology.com/gallery/video.aspx?id=131) I made which blends 3D and robots.

I'm 44 and have been programming close to 35 years, although until recently I had never done any mechanical engineering or electronics. I tried to build a robot hand in junior high, but I failed miserably because I couldn't figure out how to mate parts together successfully. I should have paid more attention in shop class I guess.

I was inspired by the TV show BattleBots to revive my childhood passion, and a few years ago built a robot arm from scratch. That project crashed and burned when I tried to make the electronics work. Almost literally. Microcontrollers make it mostly a matter of writing software -- which I can do in my sleep -- but there are still nagging issues with timing and current and things I just can't wrap my mind around. I can barely replace a hard drive and I'm supposed to build my own circuits -- I don't think so.

I was able to start over when I discovered Phidgets. I've had great success with them because they cut out the middleman and make robotics a genuine software problem. I'll try to put up some pictures of some of the things I've made. Right now I'm working on a robot bartender to enter in the Robo-Games in June. The main problem I have now is that everything I build is ugly as sin, so an art-bot competition may not be my best venue for me. But I'm an expert on martinis, so I have that going for me!

I'm married, have a 4-th grade daughter, and live in a a customized Eichler in Sunnyvale, Ca.

RobotGrrl
04-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Hiya! :)

I'm Erin...

I started to get into robotics with Lego RCX 2.0, then I bought a MANOI AT01, and now I am experimenting with the Arduino. :D

I hope to rewire Manoi one day to use an Arduino board instead of that awful one. :)

Currently I am working on a robot called BubbleBoy - it's pretty simple. I hope to make it interact with my software 'Robbie the Robot' which has the ability to have a human-machine conversation. :D

I think this forum will be great!
-EK

Eric
04-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Interesting to see how many people here have a connection to 3D CGI, as that's my profession too.
Me too! You would be one of the few people that know what Wavefront on SGI is. I stared back in the 90's with CGI. I interned at Autodesk when they intro-ed 3ds 1.0. Ran fine on my PC 386 with 40 meg hard-drive. :tongue:
Never could do some of the incredible things seen out there. It really takes a gifted artist (Which I am not) and a good technical thinker.

I'm one of the creators of LightWave 3D I am speechless! :eek: I used it during my time at Fox News. Very VERY cool of you.

I was able to start over when I discovered Phidgets. I've had great success with them because they cut out the middleman and make robotics a genuine software problem.
Exactly!!! They are indeed awesome. Can't wait to hear/see your projects!
Eric

devilDroid
04-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Interesting to see how many people here have a connection to 3D CGI, as that's my profession too.

I picked up 3d animation with a promotional copy of Truspace back in '95. I convinced my company to buy Softimage and a SGI as a result. I had a couple of exploding baseball animations play at the '95 World Series. (I moonlighted as the technical director for indoor displays at the Braves' Stadium.)

I learned Alias and Maya in grad school but haven't had a paying 3d gig in quite some time. (I'm currently a software user interface designer/developer.) However, 3d and robotics remain my pet interests. I'm planning to check out Microsoft's Robotics Studio Simulation tutorials (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb964568.aspx) while I'm stuck at a conference next week.

Adrenalynn
04-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Hey - I still have Wavefront on an Indigo!

Super cool that you worked on Lightwave! That's just so awesome! Lightwave and Maya have always rocked over Autodesk's offerings since the beginnings of time (IMNSHO)

Sienna - another serious Geekette! Woot! What a cool forum!

My brief bio:

I did a BS (minor) in Physics, (double major) Masters in Math, Masters in CS, and my Doctorate in Business Administration (later in life for that one...).

I started my career in encryption hardware and software, got to play with some pretty cool stuff, and then moved on to data compression, primarily video and audio compression. I spent about fifteen years in that space, culminating in cofounding a company doing an adaptive neural network driven multi-codec compression system, and as the CTO, I got to play in both the hardware and software. It was acquired by a large broadcast company (they were liking the 6+:1 compression improvement "squirting the bird" - satellite uplink stuff ), and I've most recently headed a new direction doing gps/cell assisted location (tracking devices) LBS stuff, as their CTO...

I started building robots in [cough] 1982 in an open schools competition, and have poked at them off and on since. I kinda fell out of the space for a long while, until I was reintroduced when a friend semi-recruited me to come mentor a middle-school science olympiad team's efforts. Getting to work with those kids so closely was a huge honor, and one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done... It has been really awesome to see how far how fast the space has come. I've been so immersed in computer science that the changes since the 80's don't seem nearly so abrupt, but dropping out of robotics for a decade and then coming back in just about yanked the rug out from under my feet.

I'm really just a "hardware hack", doing hardware only to support the cool software ideas that hardware doesn't yet exist for the software to live on.

It's really awesome to me how much raw and proven talent lurks on this forum! I'm truly humbled [ignore my bio...]!

Outside of the CS stuff, I'm an adrenaline-sports junkie, as well as an avid geocacher, hence the monikre. I also have something of a passion for linguistics.

trey3670
04-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Hello all
I am a 38 yr old electrician in northern Colorado,got the robot bug a coupla years ago,started with a boe-bot and have now jumped in with both feet and got a bioloid,but I have a million other projects running around ranging from rc aircraft/crawlers to an electric mobility chair that is screaming for some servos and sensors!

married with 4 kids and two dogs,one ferret,one turtle,a gunia pig and whatever bugs the boy can gather.

Sienna
04-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Welcome new people!

Adrenalynn: Geekettes Rule!! I am probably going to have to ask your help on this IK stuff... I swear finding a good resource online is a pain, and none of my textbooks seem to cover it :(

Adrenalynn
04-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Any help I can offer, Sienna!

Alex
04-15-2008, 02:26 PM
I swear finding a good resource online is a pain, and none of my textbooks seem to cover it :(

We're also going to be opening a downloads section here in the TRC very soon that will include an area where everyone can upload their kinematics:)

DresnerRobotics
04-15-2008, 03:38 PM
You know, we never got a real picture of Dave in his post...

Alex
04-15-2008, 04:54 PM
TR Dave?

zack
04-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Hello Folks!
New to this forum, but pretty impressed already by the activity here! I'm mostly a software guy, but interested in robotics. Currently trying to decide which kit to buy. There seems to be lot of kits each with different strengths.

PC user by day, mac user by night! :wink:

4mem8
04-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Well I guess it's time to introduce myself, My name is mike I am 56 and have lived in New Zealand for 35 years emigrating from the United Kingdom. I am married to Carol, We got married in 1990 and we have one son Jamie [13]. I am a cabinate maker by trade but had to leave this when I had a serious back injury in 1988, I retrained to be a computer tech and was in this job for over 12 yrs, I am now back in cabinate making on luxury boats, but still keep my hand in PC building. My hobbies include building high end Gaming PC's, R/C model gas turbine jets, Laminated woodturning, Digital photography and last but not least Robotics. I am currently building Wall-E robot which you can see here: http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/12732/Wall-E-Robot/ I belong to Robocommunity.com (http://www.robocommunity.com) forum and now Trossen Robotics community, I am still in the process of building Wall-E with the help of GWjax [Robocommunity]who is coding Wall-E for me as this is my weakest link in robotics. Please visit my web site and have a look around http://robosapienv2-4mem8.page.tl/Home.htm I am looking forward to this forum and seeing what it's members are up to. I would like to follow Tyberius's J5 as I am an avid lover of this robot and he has done a marvelous of hacking Lynxmotions J5. Once I sell a couple of my Gas turbine jet engines I will buy a standard J5 from Lynxmotion.

crabfu
04-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Well I had a late start in this forum... life got busy, but now I am able to find a bit of free time, so here it goes...

My name is I-Wei, but most people just refer me as crabfu - it's slight bit easier to remember and to pronounce. I know very little about this robot nonsense. I tinker, and love mechanical side of things... watching mechanical movement puts me in a trance, it's like watching a fire :) A few years ago, I started playing around with model steam engines, and realized that no one makes cool steam power machines, I mean besides the usual steam locomotives & boats. So I just started hacking stuff together, for no apparent reason and no valid excuse. It was just fun for some odd reason, and didn't expect anyone else to get. That's when something unexpected happened.... people noticed, and went crazy over my silly frankensteined stuff. Then I heard that at robogames, they were giving out shiny things with led lights that you can wear around your necks. However I didn't consider my stuff "robots", but with a little persuasion, I figured what the heck. The steambots turned out to be a huge hit among the robot builders and general public. Somehow even ended up coming home with a golden shinny thing for Best of Show :) I participated in the last 2 robogames and collected 4 of them things... figured the novelty is wearing thin... at least for me, time to pursue other interests.

My background is in art and animation. Funny thing truespace was mentioned... I worked for that company while going through college :) I've been working in the video game industry as an animator / concept artst for a bit over 10 years now. I took my animation experience and applied it to my first humanoid robot - kondo 2hv, which I got through trossen, and made some walks and locomotion for it. I am hoping to find the time to get back to it again :)

My latest project is the swashbot... which uses a helicopter swash control idea for a 3 legged robot. Again I don't know much about robots at all... the idea of programing anything frightens me to no end. Mechanics you can see and figure out, it's when it gets to theory, non visual stuff, and programing... my brain just leak out of my ears. But what I am naturally decent at, is coming up with creative ideas for non existent problems lol. So using what I know from r/c helicopters, I was able to build something that is mostly mechanical, very simple, and with a twist.... much like my steam stuff :)

Anyway, here is my website if you guys want to check out my steam/art/animation: www.crabfu.com (http://www.crabfu.com)

I'm very happy to see that this forum is blossoming nicely, and it's awesome to see different projects in the works around here, so much knowledge and talent that I can't begin to grasp... it's very inspiring, and intimidating :)

-Crabfu

metaform3d
04-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I would say you have nothing to feel intimidated about, crabfu -- your body of work is too impressive. I think your humanoid motions especially highlight the synergy to be exploited between 3D CGI and robotics.

If only we could combine the mechanical skills of people like you with the electronics and software skills of the other members of this community we could Take Over the WORLD! MWahh ha-ha-ha!!

Ahem. Right. Welcome!

Alex
04-21-2008, 10:10 PM
If only we could combine the mechanical skills of people like you with the electronics and software skills of the other members of this community we could Take Over the WORLD! MWahh ha-ha-ha!!

Hey.... Isn't that why we're all here in the TRC?

Viva la Skynet!! (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/group.php?groupid=2)

crabfu
04-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the kind words :)

And yeah, not all of us has the skills to pull off the technical, mechanical, or emotional aspects of this hobby.... we all work with what we have the ability to, and slowly learn. I guess that's why we are all here for :) If I know a bit more about all this mumbo jumbo stuff, I'm sure I'd be asking all of you a lot of questions, but I'm not even at a point to form a question!

-Crabfu

Dave
04-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Hey.... Isn't that why we're all here in the TRC?

Viva la Skynet!! (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/group.php?groupid=2)

Oh man not this again.

Meatbags Unite! (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1421)

DresnerRobotics
04-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Skynet has grown in power, while your numbers stay weak.

Dave
04-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Skynet has grown in power, while your numbers stay weak.

Yeah it's popular, but it ain't necessarily right. Hey Tyberius, all the popular kids are huffing spray paint! Try it!

devilDroid
04-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Wow. Crabfu is in the house. Kewl.

ashwinmudigonda
04-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Hi, my name is Ashwin Mudigonda. I am a EE working as a Research Engineer at Orbital Research Inc. I grew up with Asimov and Clarke and have always been fascinated by robots. I am originally from India, but came here for my MS and so far been working in Cleveland, OH. Back home, we didn't have resources to build cool stuff and that limited my capabilities. I built one leg of a hexapod for my undergraduate course work. I wish I could work on robots full time, but so far haven't gotten the chance to. Right now my goal is to build a scale model of a Laundry Bot that will follow me to the laundry room and back, carrying my laundry load. Hopefully simple and highly useful (For me at least!)

Otherwise, I am just another guy: photographer (www.flickr.com/photos/ashwinmudigonda), writer, experimental chef, nerd comics sketcher (www.stoolsnroses.blogspot.com), movie addict (www.defenestratingmovies.blogspot.com), tequila connoisseur, book junkie, travelbug.

archcvd
04-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi, my name is Ashwin Mudigonda. I am a EE working as a Research Engineer at Orbital Research Inc. I grew up with Asimov and Clarke and have always been fascinated by robots. I am originally from India, but came here for my MS and so far been working in Cleveland, OH. Back home, we didn't have resources to build cool stuff and that limited my capabilities. I built one leg of a hexapod for my undergraduate course work. I wish I could work on robots full time, but so far haven't gotten the chance to. Right now my goal is to build a scale model of a Laundry Bot that will follow me to the laundry room and back, carrying my laundry load. Hopefully simple and highly useful (For me at least!)

Otherwise, I am just another guy: photographer (www.flickr.com/photos/ashwinmudigonda), writer, experimental chef, nerd comics sketcher (www.stoolsnroses.blogspot.com), movie addict (www.defenestratingmovies.blogspot.com), tequila connoisseur, book junkie, travelbug.

That laundry robot sounds like a great project idea! You will definitely find some knowledgeable and friendly folk here to help along the way. And I must say, I am very impressed with your photography from what I have seen on your flickr stream. Welcome to the forums :)

trey3670
04-28-2008, 11:13 PM
a laundry bot! now that I could use,you thinking bipedal or wheeled?

ashwinmudigonda
04-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks for your comments. I have started a thread on my 'bot here:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1730

lnxfergy
05-01-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm a junior at UAlbany, majoring in Math, minor in CS (although my grad work will likely be in CS).

I've been building robots for about 5 years. I've competed in the Trinity Fire Fighting contest (my entry last month finished 16th out of 42 robots in the Senior division, he had some problems with REALLLY shiny walls.) I'm currently working on my 'general-purpose mapping robot' which uses an AVR and an AVRcam. It's sortof the culmination of those 5 years tinkering with things....

When not in class or building robots, I also enjoy woodworking (mostly making furniture and making hand tools like saws and planes), tin smithing, and blacksmithing.

-Mike

Alex
05-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Welcome Mike!

Any robots that you'd like to enter in the contest (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/contest.aspx), feel free! Either way, I'm sure the TRC would love to hear about your bots that you've created:D

lseguine
05-02-2008, 08:27 PM
and hello to you all

I'm 64 years old retired and just looking to have fun playing with stuff robotic in nature. I have some really old trainning in electronics( you know stuff called tube theory). instructed some course classes back in the early 70's on electromechanical tech. owned a jobshop machine shop. now have a small hobby machine shop and like playing around making things.

live in alaska and have called this home for over 60 years. am currently single and am living with a great lady, been here for over 10 years, suppose i should marry her some day. but then i did that once and it didn't work out worth s___t. oh wellllll.

sp that who i am.

jes1510
05-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Greetings all. I thought I would step in here and introduce myself. I have been "into" hobby level robotics for a couple of years now and constantly have some small machine I am working on. I am a career electronics tech so the programming bits have been the toughest for me although I am really enjoying it. I have found a lot of useful info from these forums and look forward to learning more.

4mem8
05-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Since I have introduce myself there have been quite a few new introductions and I would just like to say it's great to meet you ALL and a great forum to be on.

Adrenalynn
05-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Heya, lseguine - welcome! Don't throw away all the tube theory yet - there was a tremendous amount of interest in the "retro" at the Maker Faire. People gahgah over electronics-101 tube oscillators and such... ;)

devilDroid
05-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Ooo retro-futuristic. One of my favorite things. Adrenalynn~ Did you post your take on the Maker Faire anywhere?

djeraseit
05-06-2008, 09:59 AM
My name is Theodis Butler. I'm presently an International IT Manager for a power generation company. I'm 22 years old and have a felony hacking background. I travel from Houston, TX to China about every 5 weeks.

I like to party, program, and run my small corporation specializing in remote managed services. I've purchased phidget RFID kit and book from this site as well as downloaded some API's and samples, read some articles and continuously learn from the community.

I want to jump on the bandwagon with robotics but until I get a Transformer(tm) robot kit or a Terminator 3(tm) kit I am holding off. Besides all my ideas for robot killing machines have been shot down by friends with huge magnets/emp or water.

Hope I contribute and learn and make a difference in the world or something similar.

MassDemo
05-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Hi my names Tyler
I have no it or robotics experience but i have always been interested it and seem to learn it quick
I also tend to have many ideas for robotic equipment .
I have a Web Site For Natural herbal products @ WWW.Imanz.Com
There is not much more i can Say

Adrenalynn
05-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Ooo retro-futuristic. One of my favorite things. Adrenalynn~ Did you post your take on the Maker Faire anywhere?

I did post a very brief review here: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1745

I'll try to blog something more complete in the next day or two.

Ravenseye
05-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Hello everyone!

My name is Mike and I am in Syracuse NY.

I was introduced to your lovely little forum by DroidWorks as he has come into where I work and purchased a few items from us.

I work in Syracuse's largest hobby shop and have access to all sorts of cool stuff there. What I find interesting, however, is that your toys are better than our toys ;)

I think, as my first foray into serious tinkering territory, I am going to attempt to automate a radio controlled car to drive the track we have in the back room of the store...I got some ideas today and am researching where to start at the moment!

I look forward to learning my booty off here and getting some fun projects off the ground!

-Mike

DresnerRobotics
05-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Hello everyone!

My name is Mike and I am in Syracuse NY.

I was introduced to your lovely little forum by DroidWorks as he has come into where I work and purchased a few items from us.

I work in Syracuse's largest hobby shop and have access to all sorts of cool stuff there. What I find interesting, however, is that your toys are better than our toys ;)

I think, as my first foray into serious tinkering territory, I am going to attempt to automate a radio controlled car to drive the track we have in the back room of the store...I got some ideas today and am researching where to start at the moment!

I look forward to learning my booty off here and getting some fun projects off the ground!

-Mike

WOW! Fun job!

Welcome to the community, always glad to have more join the fray.

Adrenalynn
05-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Welcome, Mike!

A whole bunch of ways to go about that project. Please feel free to start a new Projects thread and keep us posted and/or ask questions. I'll be most curious to hear of your progress!

4mem8
05-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Welcome Mike from another Mike who has just joined this forum, This is a neat place to hang out, and everybody is so friendly and interested in what projects you are doing. The best thing that I have noticed here is that ppl are willing to share their knowledge on their projects.

Ravenseye
05-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Absolutely Mike! I couldn't agree with you more!

I've loved tech since I was young, and now, I can start playing!

Thanks folks!
-Mike

Droid Works
05-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Mike is a great guy and and has allot of great ideas. I will be posting some pics after the robogames of one of them he came up with for my 1HV. Anyways, Mike your infected with the robotics bug now and it only gets worse and there is no cure...lol

Ravenseye
05-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Uh oh...lol. I'm gonna get a reputation before I've even done anything!

Thanks Droid, it's a pleasure to be able to help ya!
-Mike

mr-sk
05-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Hello all,

I'm a software engineer in NYC! I'll be speaking about singularity (and robotics) and this years HOPE conference (hope.net).

I did USFirst in High School and loved it. Since then never had the time or money to get into robotics..but that's all changing now.

I got hooked on Trossen after I built a POS system for tracking coffee consumption at my work..with the phidgets RFID reader. Tons of fun.

I recently got an SRV1 and have been hanging out over at surveyor.com learning about it.

Glad to be here!

- sk

Adrenalynn
05-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Hi SK,

Welcome aboard! Good to have you!

That's a creative use for RFID - love it!

mr-sk
05-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Hey!

Yeah it's great. We've provided RFID cards to everyone and have a nice little php/mysql application that it ties into. People can buy credits, track consumption. heh.

I also hooked up festival, the linux TTS program, so, when they swipe their card, it says "Thank you $name", and then grabs a random quote from a file and reads its aloud. haha.

Lots of great laughs around the office (and this pays for our espresso pods!).

We're doing a blog write up of it soon, I'll provide the link when its done.

- sk

devilDroid
05-21-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm way into singularity. Hope.net has been blocked from work, though. Must be a sleazy sort of singularity conference... ;p

Alex
05-21-2008, 10:27 AM
I got hooked on Trossen after I built a POS system for tracking coffee consumption at my work..with the phidgets RFID reader. Tons of fun.

Really? Do Tell! Even if you don't want to enter it in the TRC contest (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/contest.aspx), that's cool, but I'd still love to hear about it in our Project Showcase forums (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101):D

mr-sk
05-21-2008, 07:39 PM
@devilDroid - ha..probably because it has the word "hackers". Ugh. HOPE is a conference put on by the founder of 2600 magazine. If your not familiar with it, I urge you to check it out. 2600.com and hope.net. If your local to NY, definitely consider the conference. Take a look at the panel from 2006; http://www.hopenumbersix.net/speakers.html

Amazing right?

Yeah, I'm into singularity as well; I bet some people will be new to the topic. I'm actually working on the presentation right now and decided to take a break and surf the forum. = ]

@Alex - Sure thing. Like I said, we are writing up a blog post for work about it, with pictures. Once its done, I'll post it in the forum!

- sk

devilDroid
05-22-2008, 07:04 AM
@devilDroid - ha..probably because it has the word "hackers". Ugh. HOPE is a conference put on by the founder of 2600 magazine. If your not familiar with it, I urge you to check it out. 2600.com and hope.net. If your local to NY, definitely consider the conference. Take a look at the panel from 2006; http://www.hopenumbersix.net/speakers.html

Amazing right?

Yeah, I'm into singularity as well; I bet some people will be new to the topic. I'm actually working on the presentation right now and decided to take a break and surf the forum. = ]
That would explain it. ;) I've read a few copies of 2600 before. Never had the skillset to really try to implement any of the, urm, projects, though.

I'd be interested in a hacker's take on Friendly AI. Are you planning to discuss it in your presentation?

LinuxGuy
05-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Out of curiosity, I installed Singularity. However, I can't get anything to work. I'm really not into Windows stuff though. I'm just curious about new things like this.

8-Dale

mr-sk
05-23-2008, 07:37 AM
@DevilDroid - Possibly. Right now I'm still researching out lining the project. Of singularity's GNR, I was going to focus the talk on the R (Robotics) because that's most interesting to me. Also, somewhat from a hackers perspective. If you know any good resources of information (books, websites), let me know!

@RobotGuy - hehe. That's not the singularity we are referring to. Take a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity for more info.

- sk

devilDroid
05-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Out of curiosity, I installed Singularity. However, I can't get anything to work. I'm really not into Windows stuff though. I'm just curious about new things like this.

8-Dale
I didn't even know there was a product called Singularity. Cool. Going to look into it...

Singularity theory links

Creating Friendly AI: http://singinst.org/upload/CFAI.html

General Intelligence and Seed AI: http://www.singinst.org/ourresearch/publications/GISAI/

Adaptive AI: http://www.adaptiveai.com/faq/

Levels of Organization in General Intelligence: http://www.singinst.org/upload/LOGI/

mr-sk
05-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I stumlbed upon it while searching google. It looks like some cool software, but as RobotGuy said:

I'm really not into Windows stuff though+1 to that!

- sk

*edit*
@devilDroid - I've just started reading through the links you posted ... I'll let you know my thoughts when I'm done.

zemkacz
05-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Well hello everyone. I am a begginer in robotics but I like to mess with stuff to modify them to work much easeir for my own uses. I am currently building a simple rover, usning relays and transistors as a h-bridge, a bs2 as the main "brain", but I am going to add some pic's to it for better controll when I get my pic programmer. I am controlling the bot using ir from a tv remote, but due to the bot having nice motors, and a 9.6v nacid batter to supply them, it takes a while for it to slow down, so whenever the robot turns too far, I loose controll of it and it runs into the wall, hiting the ping sensor. :P I am 15 btw and I go to a specializd high school in the fields or biology and mathamatics. I do have expereience with hv from mot's and flybacks, and I still use a cheap soldering iron and multimeter from radioshack, But I am getting a weller soldering iron and a fluke once I earn more money from my jobs. Well that was my hello. :)

Wingzero01w
05-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey zemkacz,

Your taking the right route to robotics by using the bs2 as a brain, its very easy to learn and was my first controller i used in robotics.. Im currently getting into the field of PIC's and embedded computing for my current projects.

Finally, theres somebody around my age, im turning 15 very soon. Im also very into the fields of biology and mathamatics, but ive never heard of a specialized school for it.

zemkacz
05-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Well I do know programming, so I do know c++ also, but the bs2 seemed simpler around a year ago when I got it off ebay for only $50 since it was a all in one kit kind of, with the crystal and eeprom. And the schools are the specialized schools, the top 7 in NYC.

Wingzero01w
05-24-2008, 08:53 PM
So since the schools are specialized in math and bio, does that mean that you have no english, foreign language, or history classes? Or is there just more focus on math and bio compared to others?

ooops
05-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Hello all
My name is Ed and I live in Western NC. I am just over 40 years old and currently run the sales department for a communications supply company. My background is in manufacturing, sales, and management in pretty much that order. I have limited programming experience (the nice way of saying no programming experience) but am reading and hopefully learning from a few books on basic and C.
Back in the manufacturing days, I repaired most of the equipment in the plant, and occasionally would end up improving it over it’s original design.
My main goal is to build two different mowers (I know … re-inventing the wheel) but what I hope to accomplish is first; an all terrain mower capable of mowing my yard which has a few pretty steep grades, and second a “zero turn style” mower capable of doing a large flat area quickly.
I found this forum a number of weeks ago while looking for parts to get the all terrain project going. At that time I would have been satisfied with both projects being RC, but now after reading what everyone is doing, following the links, and learning what is possible, nothing less than fully autonomous mowers will do! I know I have a steep learning curve ahead, and look forward to the challenge! My biggest challenge will be not getting sidetracked with other cool robotics projects like the ones I see you guys are doing … I see them and want to build them all!
Thank you all for sharing the information you do and hopefully I can lean on you in the future! And pictures will follow as progress is made. Hopefully at some point there will be a question that I can answer for one of you.

Adrenalynn
05-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Welcome to the psychosis - errr - hobby, Ooops!

We're "always" here for questions - and I can't wait to see what you're working on!

Don't feel bad about having more than one project going - I think I have eight or nine on the whiteboard now. They shift back and forth as "hobby time" and parts-orders come through. ;)

devilDroid
05-28-2008, 06:46 AM
Welcome to the psychosis - errr - hobby, Ooops!

We're "always" here for questions - and I can't wait to see what you're working on!

Don't feel bad about having more than one project going - I think I have eight or nine on the whiteboard now. They shift back and forth as "hobby time" and parts-orders come through. ;)

Yes, welcome!

Adrenalynn~ Do you have a list of projects somewhere? Just curious.

mr-sk
05-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Ooops - Welcome!

I think that's a really cool project. Every time I'm out mowing the lawn, I think about how nice it would be to have a robot that does it for me.

But, my yard is damn small (Brooklyn - NY), and I like being outside..so I guess not. = ]

- sk

Alex
05-28-2008, 10:10 AM
I would absolutely LOVE an autonomous mower... wait... er... I don't have a lawn yet, but I would still love to have one:D

Welcome to the TRC Ooops!

Adrenalynn
05-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Yes, welcome!

Adrenalynn~ Do you have a list of projects somewhere? Just curious.

On the whiteboard. I'd transcribe it, but it just changes too fast. ;)

LinuxGuy
05-28-2008, 08:21 PM
On the whiteboard. I'd transcribe it, but it just changes too fast. ;)
This sounds almost like me. The list of things I want to do gets longer all the time, but the list of what I actually can do is rather short. I am just working on W.A.L.T.E.R., RSRs, and am starting a new project with a club member.

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
05-28-2008, 08:43 PM
As soon as I finish with my garage, I'll be freeing up a huge chunk o'time. I have another good sized order coming in from Trossen soon. Hurry Hurry! :)

LinuxGuy
05-28-2008, 09:40 PM
As soon as I finish with my garage, I'll be freeing up a huge chunk o'time. I have another good sized order coming in from Trossen soon. Hurry Hurry! :)
I am so envious! :veryhappy: I wish I could just order the stuff I need to do my projects.

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
05-28-2008, 10:20 PM
It is nice now and again. Just always seems like for me like unlimited time = hyper-limited funds, and vice-versa. ;)

LinuxGuy
05-28-2008, 10:27 PM
It is nice now and again. Just always seems like for me like unlimited time = hyper-limited funds, and vice-versa. ;)
With me it's always lots of time but very limited funds.

8-Dale

Thunderhorse
05-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Hello everyone. I am Ian and this is my first day in the TRC! I am an EE undergrad in Colorado (graduate in December) and as much as my professors preach power, I'm more of a low-voltage guy--they shouldn't have scared me with all of those pictures of people who were arc blasted or shocked!

I've been wandering my way around the topics on this board for quite some time now and this has been the only resource applicable to the things I am interested in. As fun as robotics are, though, I am looking to do more heavy duty automation with cameras for film. I'd like my next step in life to be toward making films, and I'm thinking computer controlled automation of camera motion equipment is where I'd like to start. Anyway that is for another post.

Good to meet all of you!

Ian

devilDroid
05-29-2008, 07:14 AM
I am just working on W.A.L.T.E.R., RSRs, and am starting a new project with a club member.

8-Dale
What's the project and who is the club member?

Alex
05-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Great to meet you Ian! I'm sure you'll find a ton of help here with developing your ideas. Sure we all love robotics here, but what it all boils down to is that we are all fanatics about applying various forms of technology to all types of projects:D

Silverbolt74
05-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Hello everyone!!! My name is Jason and I am currently a Multimedia student at ITT Tech in Liverpool NY. I will be graduating in December 2008. I have always been interested in robotics and was reacently able to join the robotics club at school. I have always wanted to make a robot based on the robot dog, K9, from the sci-fi show Dr Who and now I'm making it happen with help from Eric from Droid Works. I have some pics that I will post of the progress I make. I would also welcome any and all input to help with this project.

Thanks,
Jason

Syreinrage
05-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Hi everyone ^_^,

I'm relatively new robotics, but very much interested. I'm studying to be a computer software engineer and robotics is a very fun hobby as well as an integration of my major. I am a member of my robotics team and am building my first robot. I also am a japanese nut, i like anime, drawing, video games (yes i am a girl gamer) and especially will be seen beating people down in Halo.

umm... well i have lots of questions and need plenty of help so please take care of me.

Alex
05-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Welcome Silverbolt & Syreinrage.

I have always wanted to make a robot based on the robot dog, K9, from the sci-fi show Dr Who and now I'm making it happen with help from Eric from Droid Works.

Awesome! I'd love to see this project. I just recently crawled out of the rock I was living under and started watching Dr. Who. Good stuff! I can't believe I didn't know about this show till just recently...

Anyways, I'd recommend starting a thread (maybe in the rovers forum (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=116), it is wheel based right?). There are a ton of members here in the TRC that I'm sure would love to help you out with answer questions and offering advice.

Syreinrage - Everybody here is pretty friendly, so don't hesitate to post your questions in any of our forums. We work hard here to squash any form of trolling here in the TRC:D

devilDroid
06-02-2008, 08:14 PM
As fun as robotics are, though, I am looking to do more heavy duty automation with cameras for film. I'd like my next step in life to be toward making films, and I'm thinking computer controlled automation of camera motion equipment is where I'd like to start. Anyway that is for another post.

Hi Ian~ Several of us are from the 3d animation realm. My undergrad was in film/video and I've done a bit with it here and there. I'm sure we're all really interested in your progress. All things automated are robotic.

devilDroid
06-02-2008, 08:17 PM
I have always wanted to make a robot based on the robot dog, K9, from the sci-fi show Dr Who and now I'm making it happen with help from Eric from Droid Works. I have some pics that I will post of the progress I make.
Ooo robo-doggie. "Here puppy puppy pu-ZAP!" ;)

devilDroid
06-02-2008, 08:19 PM
I also am a japanese nut, i like anime, drawing, video games (yes i am a girl gamer) and especially will be seen beating people down in Halo.
Yay girl-art-robo-geek!

Syreinrage
06-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Yay girl-art-robo-geek!

lol i guess you can call me that ^_^

Adrenalynn
06-03-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

I traded in my Positronic Brain for HAL and I still don't *feel* anything. Is that normal? :p

Oh, hey, what's the shiny obelisk doing over there?

devilDroid
06-04-2008, 06:50 AM
I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

I traded in my Positronic Brain for HAL and I still don't *feel* anything. Is that normal? :p

Oh, hey, what's the shiny obelisk doing over there?
Heheheheheh. ;)

Alex
06-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I traded in my Positronic Brain for HAL and I still don't *feel* anything. Is that normal?

You keep this up and I'm going to have to boost Skynet (5000 posts) and The Matrix (10000 posts) up a bit:p Nah, seriously though Adrenalynn, you deserve it, congrats! You've been an awesome contributor to the community:D

Adrenalynn
06-04-2008, 10:33 AM
:o

Thanks, Alex! It's a community full of great people, lively and vibrant, constantly adding more as it grows. Since I love interacting this way, the post count just flies by.

At the current rate, it'd take me a year to reach SkyNet, two to reach Matrix. Then I think I'd have to change my handle to "Donimatrix". Last time I used it on an AI forum, no one got it. I got a bunch of notes about how I'd misspelled my handle, and a bunch more about how it was a "family friendly forum". A "Don", of course, is an important personage, a leader, from the latin "Dominus" or "Lord". So I just juggle the letters around a bit and I run the Matrix. Kinda like the play on my middle name that I use now.

Anywho - I wish I'd thought about it when you were calling for comments on the levels. I should have mentioned at the time that you adopt a base-2. 2,4,8,[...] That would have been cool.

LinuxGuy
06-04-2008, 10:47 AM
:o

Thanks, Alex! It's a community full of great people, lively and vibrant, constantly adding more as it grows. Since I love interacting this way, the post count just flies by.
You sure passed me right by! :P I'm not even going to try catching up.

At the current rate, it'd take me a year to reach SkyNet, two to reach Matrix. Then I think I'd have to change my handle to "Donimatrix". Last time I used it on an AI forum, no one got it. I got a bunch of notes about how I'd misspelled my handle, and a bunch more about how it was a "family friendly forum". A "Don", of course, is an important personage, a leader, from the latin "Dominus" or "Lord". So I just juggle the letters around a bit and I run the Matrix. Kinda like the play on my middle name that I use now.
Yeah, that nick is really close to something else, which would not be a good thing in my opinion, unless of course you are into that kind of thing.

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
06-04-2008, 11:13 AM
That's the beauty of it.

LinuxGuy
06-04-2008, 11:21 AM
That's the beauty of it.
Hmmmmmmm. Are you saying it's delightfully ambiguous then?

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
06-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Punishingly so.

DresnerRobotics
06-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Punishingly so.

My head might explode.

Adrenalynn
06-04-2008, 11:59 AM
You've got a spare, right? Might have one here I can loan ya. Slightly used.

ooops
06-04-2008, 06:59 PM
I have a spare here in a jar marked “Abby Normal”.

devilDroid
06-05-2008, 07:10 AM
I got Donimatrix right off the bat. Perfect, really. Of course, this is coming from someone with "devil" in her handle.

Adrenalynn
06-05-2008, 11:44 AM
:)

Hey, btw, before I turn this thread back over to its intended purpose (sorry, all!) - you need to update your blog or sumthan, devilDroid. I'm curious what project you settled on!

pladoh
06-05-2008, 10:58 PM
hello im devin and im a thirteen year old with a 169 iq and too much money, i think that robotics will be a great hobby im currently working on crabfus swashbot idea figuring out certain aspects that will make it a little more efficient,
so yeah,

Adrenalynn
06-06-2008, 01:49 AM
Welcome to the forum!

metaform3d
06-06-2008, 01:53 AM
hello im devin and im a thirteen year old with a 169 iq and too much moneyRobotics is a great way to make a small fortune...

out of a large one.

Adrenalynn
06-06-2008, 01:59 AM
Kinda like oil? :)

metaform3d
06-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Kinda like oil? :)Actually I stole the quote from hobbist vintners. "Starting you own winery is ..." etc.

Droid Works
06-06-2008, 03:24 AM
Holy thread hijack batman..lol

djjaries
06-06-2008, 05:08 AM
Ok, just a quick introduction of myself then.

I am Dennis, I started developing software in the early 80's (when I was about 13 I guess).
Currently I am employed by a company specialized in software for wholesale and retail-management.
On the side, I have my own company which specializes in backup-systems. For both companies, I get requests for RFID-integrated solutions which brings me here.

More questions? Don't hesitate to ask :)

Dennis

mr-sk
06-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Hey Devin,

"im a thirteen year old with a 169 iq and too much money" - haha what?

That's cool man, enjoy your stay.

- sk

pladoh
06-06-2008, 05:40 PM
exactly! to make a "swashbot" its costin me $430!!!
wow i guess ill have to realize that that is not that much in the world of robotics

Adrenalynn
06-06-2008, 05:43 PM
One also has to look at how much of that is recycled in the hobby. If you buy that expensive digital transmitter/receiver pair, you're investing in a quality component that you'll still be using in five or ten years...

pladoh
06-06-2008, 08:47 PM
yes that is true adrenalynn

Droid Works
06-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Come on guys its "Introduce yourself" general chat.

caffeinelab
06-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Greetings,

My name is David C. Smith, I'm a cinematographer, tinkerer, and designer. When I'm not shooting movies, I own (with a partner) a small marketing company that creates interactive experiences. It started with interactive video websites and has grown to incorporate live displays for trade shows and events. Phidgets led to phidgetsusa which led me here. I have a passion and love of robotics and grass roots innovation. I hope to learn from the community and aspire to contribute as well. I am inspired by all of the wonderful projects that you all have been generous enough to share and I am looking forward to posting some of our work for others to enjoy.

Thanks,
David C. Smith
www.caffeinelab.com (http://www.caffeinelab.com/?page_id=2)
www.edgecentric.com (http://www.edgecentric.com)

Rbotguy
06-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Howdy all! My name is Jeff, usually known as Robotguy (but I see that name is taken around these parts). I am an electrical engineer for a robotics company, and have been into hobby robotics for about 15 years (kind of a one trick pony). I have pictures of most of my older 'bots up on my Robot Gallery (http://robotguy.net/#RobotGallery), and updates on my current projects on my blog (http://http://robotguy.net/blog). I really miss the old days of comp.robotics.misc, and have lately been looking for a good robotics community.

http://robotguy.net/tn_robotguy5.jpg (http://robotguy.net/robotguy5.jpg)

Adrenalynn
06-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi, "ThatOtherRobotGuy" - :) Welcome to the TRC forum!

Looking forward to your contributions with your experience in the space! Again - Welcome A'board!

Alex
06-12-2008, 10:43 PM
hey rbotguy, welcome to the TRC! I hope you find a nice home here:D There are so many cool & helpful people here with a wide variety of backgrouds; It really helps us all to "think outside the box".

BTW, excellent blog you have! I'm surprised I never found it before. I thought I had mostly all robot blogs in my yahoo page (just added yours now). Have you setup all of the backend pings to aggregators and such? I can give you a hand with that if you'd like.

Anyways, I'm stoked to hear about all of your projects!

Rbotguy
06-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I see several people here that I recognize from around the internet. Maybe this is the community that I've been looking for.

Backend pings? Is that the thing that beeps when you put a dump truck in reverse?

Aggregators; really mad alligators?

I host on Yahoo, so I kinda figured that all that stuff was taken care of...

Alex
06-13-2008, 12:04 AM
hehe, there's a ton of backend stuff to do with your blog, if you want some nice exposure that is. PM me if you're interested and I'd be happy to "share my secrets":D I won't be able to get to it till next week though when I get back from RG.

ninjadeathtoast
06-13-2008, 01:34 AM
Hey everyone-

My name is Adam, and I'm a 19 year old college student at Loyola Marymount University. I was on my high school robotics team for four years and really wish I had learned more programming/electronics, which lead me to this site. I haven't yet begun to look around the forums, but I'll probably pop up with a question about what to use to write code on a mac, as well as suggestions on good books to help me learn how to write code.

Looking forward to interacting with all of you!

-Adam

4mem8
06-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Welcome Rbotguy and ninjadeathtoast,man that's a tongue twister, Hope you all enjoy this forum like I am, Great people here and lots of info to be had.

Aries
06-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Salve! I am new to this website but discovered it while i was down at Robo Games. I am a younger roboticist who got started with FIRST in high school and has since moved on to more interesting things with robot combat and my own robotics interest. I am starting this year as a college freshmen at UC Santa Cruz and hope to have a long career working on humanoid robotics.

Adrenalynn
06-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi Aries - Welcome to the Community! Glad you could make it over here from Robogames. Great event, wasn't it?

4mem8
06-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Welcome Aries, Hope you enjoy this site as much as I do, great place to be. I look forward to your posts.

Aries
06-16-2008, 01:35 AM
I loved robo games, i have been going down there for a few years now and i have always been amazed by the variety of projects displayed and the great spirit of the other builders there

devilDroid
06-16-2008, 07:01 AM
Greetings,

My name is David C. Smith, I'm a cinematographer, tinkerer, and designer. When I'm not shooting movies, I own (with a partner) a small marketing company that creates interactive experiences. It started with interactive video websites and has grown to incorporate live displays for trade shows and events. Phidgets led to phidgetsusa which led me here. I have a passion and love of robotics and grass roots innovation. I hope to learn from the community and aspire to contribute as well. I am inspired by all of the wonderful projects that you all have been generous enough to share and I am looking forward to posting some of our work for others to enjoy.

Thanks,
David C. Smith
www.caffeinelab.com (http://www.caffeinelab.com/?page_id=2)
www.edgecentric.com (http://www.edgecentric.com)
Welcome, caffeinelab! Several of us came from a video, animation, and film background.

So tell us, what are your plans for the new laser? ;)

4mem8
06-17-2008, 12:12 AM
caffeinelab: Welcome to this forum and i hope you have a great time here.

sthmck
06-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Hello,
I probably should have introduced myself a while ago, but I am a bit of a procrastinator.
Anyway my name is Seth and I am 19. I have been interested in robotics since I was probably 12. I am going into my second year of college at Shepherd University, where I am double majoring in computer science and computer engineering. I started a robotics club on campus at the beginning of my first year and so far we have about 10 members. It has been a lot of fun so far and we have learned a lot. I am really just getting started into electronics and programming. My interest in robotics up until a year ago was more in mechanical design. This is mostly because I started working on cars and stuff like that with my uncle when I was 13. I started welding when I was 14, but I am a little rusty as I don’t have a shop of my own to work in. I was able to get a summer job in an electronics lab at my university, so I am learning a lot just being there.
I am so grateful for all of the helpful and knowledgeable people here.

caffeinelab
06-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Welcome, caffeinelab! Several of us came from a video, animation, and film background.

So tell us, what are your plans for the new laser? ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome.

We use the laser in the design and construction of our interactive displays as well as creating useful gadgets for film production. We've just started offering custom part creation for DIY 35mm Lens Adapter hobbyists and if there is a need, would be happy to cut parts for fellow robot builders as well.

The laser is a 30W CO2 laser that can handle parts up to 19"x24".

-David

NeeC++
06-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Hey everyone my name is NeeCee or NeeC++ (get it). Anyways I am a rising Sophomore at Spelman College in Atlanta, GA. I am a Software Engineering major and I've been programming for a couple of years now. I just got intrested in robotics in Fall 2007. I joined the robotics team called SpelBots at my college which is the first and only all women, all african american team to compete in RoboCup. Our team primarily use the Sony Aibo's to compete (although this year we are switching to humanoid robots). We qualified this year to compete in RoboCup @ China, however we decided not to go because of certain governmental issues they are having at the moment. This summer I am working with another collegue of mine, Jazmine (whose username is Syreinrage) and we are building a Manoi AT01 robot. More info on this robot can be found here..

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/Manoi-AT01-Humanoid-Robot-Kit.aspx

I am currently researching in the HuMans Lab at Georgia Tech. Our primary goal is to create robots to help with healthcare i.e. retrieving objects for the elderly or interacting with autistic children. Our specific tasks is to build the Manoi...integrate a camera into it...and have it identify certain colors on a childrens toy and walk up to it. I shall update you on the progress and also post on the Humanoid's forums for tips on building a programming a Manoi.

c ya!

devilDroid
06-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Welcome aboard, NeeC++!

Syreinrage
06-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Yay! Glad your here Neecee. I feel like i didn't formally introduce myself but she pretty much summarized everything i would have said ^_^ Welcome to the site buddy

Wingzero01w
06-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Syreinrage, I like the banner, im a fan of Death Note as well.

Welcome Neecee.

wireframewolf
06-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Howdy. My name is Finger, I'm 21, and a Java programmer for Adminserver/Oracle until I can get some loans and go back to school. I just became interested in robotics fairly recently (starting with learning how to program the Arduino) so I'm pretty much a noob in every aspect. My ultimate goal in life is to write some wicked cool AI, with human interaction and dynamic problem solving in mind. Unfortunately I know nothing of these things, but I guess I need a lab rat robot to test things out on first.

My current (and first) robot is using a Vex explorer base with an arduino/adafruit motor controller attached to an old libretto subnotebook. Unfortunately I can't get a camera working on Damn Small Linux (the only OS that will run alright on the libretto) so I will be switching to a Pico ITX with Ubuntu as soon as I get it mounted. At the moment all the robot can really do is be driven around from a user's laptop over the wireless network, using some custom (read poorly written) C code for networking and talking over the serial port.

Anyway, I found this place when I found Tyberius's modified j5 project and asked him a question about it. So thanks for telling me about this place man. :)

4mem8
06-19-2008, 01:24 PM
wireframewolf: Glad to have you aboard, hope you enjoy as much as I do here.

DresnerRobotics
06-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Welcome aboard man! Glad to have you.

Like I said before, we're all about helping people get started so feel free to ask any questions you have.

4mem8
06-19-2008, 01:26 PM
NeeC++: Welcome aboard, Pleased to have you with us.

Adrenalynn
06-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Wireframe -

"all it does" - woah there. That's a BUNCH for your first 'bot! Take a bow! Being able to drive a bot around over a wireless network is nothing to sneeze at. Congrats! Now you can grow it. :)

Welcome to the TRC!

lamont
06-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi, my name is Lamont and I'm into robots.

I went to UTexas and San Francisco State for my degree in electrical engineering, but I'm actually paid to be a UNIX systems administrator for a small web company in SF.

I have a bioloid kit and ran across the TrossenRobotics forums while looking for new software tricks and tips. But I met Tyberius briefly at RoboGames and he encouraged me to actually sign up and participate. Plus, his Johnny 5 robot was awesome.

I look forward to actually using my engineering skils (before they evaporate completely). I've done some microcontroller devleopment on the 68HC11/12 and ARM microcontrollers from Luminary Micro.

DresnerRobotics
06-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Hi, my name is Lamont and I'm into robots.

I went to UTexas and San Francisco State for my degree in electrical engineering, but I'm actually paid to be a UNIX systems administrator for a small web company in SF.

I have a bioloid kit and ran across the TrossenRobotics forums while looking for new software tricks and tips. But I met Tyberius briefly at RoboGames and he encouraged me to actually sign up and participate. Plus, his Johnny 5 robot was awesome.

I look forward to actually using my engineering skils (before they evaporate completely). I've done some microcontroller devleopment on the 68HC11/12 and ARM microcontrollers from Luminary Micro.

Hey man! Good to see you joining us. What project(s) do you have in mind?

Adrenalynn
06-23-2008, 04:23 AM
Looks like (from my thread) I'll have some competition at DefConBots! Welcome Aboard, Lamont!

BADfish10
06-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi all

I thought after trawling the forum I would Join and say hi!
have been interested in robotics for year but never real did anything with it then I was on the VIA website a week or so back and there was a link to Tyberius (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/member.php?u=1492) amazing Johny5 pica-itx powered unit and have now read a ton on getting started and the lots of different things to think about any project I have thought of.
I am an IT pro by trade working mainly MS/Cisco some ESX and storage solutions so quite happy to get hands on "looks like it is very needed with the effort you guys put in".

Any way hope I don’t annoy you guys with too many stupid questions

many thanks

J

DresnerRobotics
06-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi all

I thought after trawling the forum I would Join and say hi!
have been interested in robotics for year but never real did anything with it then I was on the VIA website a week or so back and there was a link to Tyberius (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/member.php?u=1492) amazing Johny5 pica-itx powered unit and have now read a ton on getting started and the lots of different things to think about any project I have thought of.
I am an IT pro by trade working mainly MS/Cisco some ESX and storage solutions so quite happy to get hands on "looks like it is very needed with the effort you guys put in".

Any way hope I don’t annoy you guys with too many stupid questions

many thanks

J

Woo! You made my day. Glad to have you onboard, I'm a fellow IT geek.

You wont annoy, feel free to ask questions, we're here to help new people out. I really only get mildly annoyed by questions like:

"hay guyz i want to bild a robt wut shud i by?"

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the pico-itx or its implementation in robotics, or anything else for that matter =)

engineer
06-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Hi everyone, I'm engineer, I started in electronics in the sixties, tubes and transformers, went to tech school for autopilots which are fast robots with a lot of inputs to sort. Now I'm a wireman and work with power at industrial plants. I started with legobots went to VEX got disapointed with them then got a RN-1 kit a couple of years ago, and built it into RN-! which likes to win gold in wrestling at Robogames. Matt convinced me to come here along with robotdreams and robosavvy. I hope I can help you guys as much as I've been helped by the other forums.:) I build and race r/c cars, boats, and motorcycles. Use pink floyd for road music. ran a sound company in the sixties and seventies called baysound services, and work on hot rods for fun.

Droid Works
06-25-2008, 01:32 AM
Welcome aboard! I had the privilege of meeting engineer at the robogames. He is a very nice guy and great robot jockey..lol I look forward to seeing you next year at the robogames.

Alex
06-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Use pink floyd for road music.ah yes... Pink Floyd; one of my all time favorite bands! Welcome to the TRC engineer. I'm sure you'll have an excellent time here:D

logan.matroll
06-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi,

My Name is A.N.Loganathaan. I'm from malaysia (Asia). I develop automated system for Various Industries and my core areas are Pc based Control and Industrial Vision System.

I'm also very much involved in Research and Development of Software for education. I have featured it on http://matrollconcept.blogspot.com

I Would like to get feedback from people around the world, so that i'll able to improve it further.

Thank You.

DresnerRobotics
06-30-2008, 12:20 PM
I've been seeing some new people around here who haven't posted in this thread yet... go! :D

A-Bot
06-30-2008, 12:37 PM
I've been seeing some new people around here who haven't posted in this thread yet... go! :D

Ok, I'll bite...

My name is Adam. I live in Maryland, USA. I'm a professional software developer with a CS degree. I've been following the hobby robot scene for about 6 years. I've built a couple wheeled robots, and I've played around with a lot of different microcontrollers. I'm working on my first servo walker now. Its first mission, if it chooses to accept it, is to compete in Mech Wars. I have a strong preference for autonomous bots, and I hope I can pull it off with this one.

tom_chang79
07-01-2008, 02:16 AM
I never really noticed this thread until now, even though it's 19 pages long now :confused:

Ok, my name is (you guessed it) Tom. I'm a Computer Engineer major. I've always been fascinated by robots. Grew up in Tokyo until I was about 7 then came here to the states. As a child, I've always been fascinated by robots which is the reason why all my toys as a child (and as an adult :o) are robots, electronics, mechanical (RC cars), and everything in between.

I've been a programmer since I was 11 or 12 (can't remember, it's been uhmm a while since that age :rolleyes:) and originally entered college to be a CS major (big surprise). I didn't understand much of hardware and electronics so I opted for CE instead...

I'm an RF Engineer by trade. How did a digital guy get into RF? I was a TA for a microcontroller-based system design course for about 3 years as an undergrad and the professor I worked for convinced me to take his upper division course, "High-Speed Digital Design." As some of you may know, that is really RF engineering in disguise...

I've discovered servo-based robots a few years back, even though I've been dabbling with servos since I was 10 (used in RC cars). I'm still into RC cars, but sadly, my local track has gone out of business (RIP SoCal Raceway :sad:).

I used to cringe when I had to pay over $50 for a "high-end" servo for my car, my perspective has changed ever since I bought 18 X $30 servos and a recent purchase of 18 X 5990TGs.

I discovered Trossen Robotics around Christmas of last year (where have ya been, or rather where have I been :wink:) and I love the community here as well as the very professional forum. It keeps getting prettier and prettier!

Oh my god, this is turning into essay. Long story short, I'm a robot junkie... :tongue:

DresnerRobotics
07-01-2008, 02:39 AM
Great to have you onboard Tom, always enjoyed reading your posts on the Lynx board ;)

Now get to building your Atlas!

Adrenalynn
07-01-2008, 03:07 AM
I didn't realize you were an RF engineer, Tom! Board/component level or module level? We should chat away from this thread some time... I do cellular*/gps tracking devices these days. (*not really "cellular" - digital 1x stuff and gsm, primarily)

lil-chris-93
07-01-2008, 04:41 AM
Hello my name is Cristian i'm 15 years old i live in Victoria/Australia i live on the west side on melbourne. My Nasho is Itilan:veryhappy::veryhappy::veryhappy::veryhappy: prode to be a wog lol so yea. My hobbies are playing computer games, hanging around with friends and computer IT and programing. i am a Rookie at programming but i am getting there, i am building a system tool which i coming very nicely:happy::happy::happy:.
Ummm i am a student a Caroline Springs College am i'm in yr 9. when i grow up i want to to own my own IT business and to build a Bender robot just like in the TV show futrama lmao:cool: and yea thats all you need to know about me (I think lol).
want to know more about me add me on msn or myspace
[email protected]
www.myspace.com/lilchris93 (http://www.myspace.com/lilchris93)
(added part)
just want to know where can i submit my project to the contests?

DresnerRobotics
07-01-2008, 11:39 AM
^ Think part of that might've gotten cut off? ;p

scorch
07-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi everyone!

My name is Laura and I am a newbe. So far I love speaking with everyone and lots of people have given me great advice. Some of you may think I am older, but I am only a freshman in college. I am becoming more familiar with robotics and I love robots! About a year ago, I was the biggest gear head ever and then I started to grow more towards robots. I started to loose interest in cars because of our economy. I still love them though. I have played piano for 14 years all by ear. I love my baby scorch, my Honda Element, and I love my boyfriend. I love making friends and I love chatting with people lol. Poor Alex already witnessed that lol. So far I have had great advice from everyone and I hope to make a family here. I will post more pictures on my profile, so come and look anytime you would like.

I have been working for Shafer Computer Service for 10 years. This is my father's company. I have a lot of fun working there. I wish to send a message to all woman that engineering is the best way to change the world. I am trying to advance in math so if anyone knows a lot about math, I may ask you for help lol. Well, that is mostly it. If anyone has any questions, just write in my profile, and like I said before I am sort of a gear head, so if anyone has car troubles, please come to me, because I may be able to help. Well, hope to hear from lots of people!

Adrenalynn
07-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Well,
I think I will introduce myself to everyone as well. I guess many of you may think that I am older. Well,

Man, I hate it when I drop carrier. :)

DresnerRobotics
07-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi everyone!

My name is Laura and I am a newbe. So far I love speaking with everyone and lots of people have given me great advice. Some of you may think I am older, but I am only a freshman in college. I am becoming more familiar with robotics and I love robots! About a year ago, I was the biggest gear head ever and then I started to grow more towards robots. I started to loose interest in cars because of our economy. I still love them though. I have played piano for 14 years all by ear. I love my baby scorch, my Honda Element, and I love my boyfriend. I love making friends and I love chatting with people lol. Poor Alex already witnessed that lol. So far I have had great advice from everyone and I hope to make a family here. I will post more pictures on my profile, so come and look anytime you would like.

I have been working for Shafer Computer Service for 10 years. This is my father's company. I have a lot of fun working there. I wish to send a message to all woman that engineering is the best way to change the world. I am trying to advance in math so if anyone knows a lot about math, I may ask you for help lol. Well, that is mostly it. If anyone has any questions, just write in my profile, and like I said before I am sort of a gear head, so if anyone has car troubles, please come to me, because I may be able to help. Well, hope to hear from lots of people!

Great! Glad to have you with us, feel free to ask away as we don't mind helping people get started (or anyone for that matter)

Adrenalynn
07-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Now I'm freeeee [free fallin'].

Sorry - something about that post - I have this curse of lyrics just constantly popping into my head... :)

tom_chang79
07-01-2008, 07:50 PM
I didn't realize you were an RF engineer, Tom! Board/component level or module level? We should chat away from this thread some time... I do cellular*/gps tracking devices these days. (*not really "cellular" - digital 1x stuff and gsm, primarily)

I actually have experience on the device level to system level. I've done a lot of work in power devices (which also made modules), then moved into an amp house that did module-level to systems, then I kinda got a little burned out in the amplifier/power devices world so now I'm doing receiver work, which is the opposite end of the power spectrum. Going from a 63dBm world to -130dBm world was quite a difference...

Adrenalynn
07-01-2008, 08:14 PM
"burned out on.." [giggle at pun]

tom_chang79
07-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Excuse my pun (didn't even notice it) ;P

qwerty613
07-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi. I'm 13 years old, and my dad and I are working on a Mech for the Mech Wars competition. I'm going into 8th grade next year. In my spare time, I play Xbox 360, and do Flash animations, as well as web design.

robot maker
07-04-2008, 09:13 PM
hi all my name is freddy or fred,i am engineer for a electronics firm where i build in-house testers for meters,a/c,clamp on amp meter, and more,i am married to sexy jamaican lady and love robotics ,and made my first about 10 years ago mybe more it used a very old cpu 4 mhz,also love ren-fest,taking solar pictures with my camera,and cooking
just starting to learn programming,made a basic stamp boe-bot awhile backnow working on mid size robot with AI and started working on my main robot (beer-bot) somebody on this list game me that nice name for it,it will be about 6 feet tall with 2 arms lifting about 25 to 35 lbs,weight is near 160 and the head looking to make it animated

robot maker
07-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Well I guess it's time to introduce myself, My name is mike I am 56 and have lived in New Zealand for 35 years emigrating from the United Kingdom. I am married to Carol, We got married in 1990 and we have one son Jamie [13]. I am a cabinate maker by trade but had to leave this when I had a serious back injury in 1988, I retrained to be a computer tech and was in this job for over 12 yrs, I am now back in cabinate making on luxury boats, but still keep my hand in PC building. My hobbies include building high end Gaming PC's, R/C model gas turbine jets, Laminated woodturning, Digital photography and last but not least Robotics. I am currently building Wall-E robot which you can see here: http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/12732/Wall-E-Robot/ I belong to Robocommunity.com (http://www.robocommunity.com) forum and now Trossen Robotics community, I am still in the process of building Wall-E with the help of GWjax [Robocommunity]who is coding Wall-E for me as this is my weakest link in robotics. Please visit my web site and have a look around http://robosapienv2-4mem8.page.tl/Home.htm I am looking forward to this forum and seeing what it's members are up to. I would like to follow Tyberius's J5 as I am an avid lover of this robot and he has done a marvelous of hacking Lynxmotions J5. Once I sell a couple of my Gas turbine jet engines I will buy a standard J5 from Lynxmotion.
hi 4mem8 nice bio and love your webpage nice work

engineer
07-05-2008, 12:39 PM
WOW!!!, I now have two more favorited websites 4mem8's is into some good stuff.

4mem8
07-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Hey Robot maker, thanks for your nice comments, Nice to see you here on TRC. Have to have a chat sometime.

ScuD
07-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Hm, should've posted here first.

I'm Sven, 25 and from Belgium. Ever since I put a hole in my bedroom wall and screwed a lamp into it at age 2, I've been pulling things apart to see how they work.. I just like to know what makes things tick :happy:

That being said, I create all kinds of things... robots, electronics projects, a mechanical lock for a book, and recently I've been trying a little welding too.

In electronics, i have a passion for microcontrollers, but mostly the basic 8-bit kinds that are still feasible to program in assembly.

At work, i'm an electronics debug engineer, in a telecom company that builds HSUPA/HSDPA datacards, i'm not married (yet :rolleyes:) aaaaaaaand... that's about it.

crabfu
07-07-2008, 03:10 PM

I'm Sven, 25 and from Belgium. Ever since I put a hole in my bedroom wall and screwed a lamp into it at age 2, I've been pulling things apart to see how they work.. I just like to know what makes things tick :happy:

That being said, I create all kinds of things... robots, electronics projects, a mechanical lock for a book (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sZwX_NzcddY), and recently I've been trying a little welding too.

Wow! I LOVE your book lock.... I've got a special soft spot for mechanical and steampunkish work! Most of the steampunk stuff out there are non working, more of the aesthetics of victorian design. So your work is more unique, and I am very impressed!

I'm in the same boat with taking things apart to see how it worked as a kid. I've taken apart a lot of things at a young age, that I'm surprised that I've never got shocked... most of the time I could put it back together and went unnoticed by my parents, but not always lol.

Glad to see another mechanical steampunky mind here, and once again, great work!!!

-Crabfu

robot maker
07-08-2008, 12:55 AM
hi Sven
you started the same as i did at 7 years took apart a outlet,ever since that been taking things apart,i am electronic engineer for test equipment company for 17 years
now i am into microcontrollers
but the biggest passion is robotics ,ever since i made my first near 8 to 10 years old out of cardboard boxes
good luck with all your robot projects

That being said, I create all kinds of things... robots, electronics projects, a mechanical lock for a book (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sZwX_NzcddY), and recently I've been trying a little welding too.

In electronics, i have a passion for microcontrollers, but mostly the basic 8-bit kinds that are still feasible to program in assembly.

At work, i'm an electronics debug engineer, in a telecom company that builds HSUPA/HSDPA datacards, i'm not married (yet :rolleyes:) aaaaaaaand... that's about it.

ScuD
07-08-2008, 02:22 AM
Crabfu, thanks for the great comment, but i feel humbled, since it's actually your website that introduced me into the realm of steampunk!

Would love to see your creations up close some day!

Robot maker, seems like most roboticists have an urge to take things apart.. maybe there's a psychological term for it :veryhappy:

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Ginger
07-08-2008, 07:10 AM
Hey All,

I saw zentas robot spider, and was also fascinated by the robot dog on youtube so I thought I'd get off my behind and see how hard it is to build one of these things. I am a complete novice though, and I'm trying to find a bit of a gentle introduction to robotics, control etc so if anyone can point me in the right direction then that'd be grand ;)

Based in the UK, well past university age and getting married in a few weeks so not sure how much time I'll have on my hands but I'll lurk for a bit and see what I can pick up before I start buying any bits!

Cheers all

A-Bot
07-08-2008, 07:19 AM
I am a complete novice though, and I'm trying to find a bit of a gentle introduction to robotics, control etc so if anyone can point me in the right direction then that'd be grand ;)

Welcome to the forum. I recommend the Parallax stuff for absolute beginners. The BOE bot is popular. And I think you can't go wrong with any of the Robotis products, such as the Bioloid beginner kit.

Ginger
07-08-2008, 07:28 AM
And I think you can't go wrong with any of the Robotis products, such as the Bioloid beginner kit.

Hmm, I can see this is going to be an expensive hobby :) Thanks for the heads up!

ScuD
07-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Personally i think it's as expensive as you make it.

I started with BEAM bots made from old VCR's and stuff, which cost me close to nothing (except for a soldering iron and some solder, maybe some protoboard)

The thing is it gets addictive quite fast... over the last year I've invested in a mini-lathe, a mill, MIG welder, soldering station, oscilloscope, CPLD development kit, ...

The list goes on and on, it's just a matter of what you're willing to do with your money really.

That being said, welcome and good luck !

4mem8
07-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Hey Engineer and Scud: Nice to have you both here on TRC, Great place to be and a huge amount of talent here. Look forward to seeing some of your projects.

openmindedjjj
07-09-2008, 03:27 AM
hey you guys, my name is jon im 21 and i live in california, im the bigest newb so bare with me.
i just bought the huminoid bioloid kit about a month ago of here and i love it. thanks for all your guys help so far. im a waiter at a resturant and i go snowboarding in the winter and race motocross in the summer.

sam
07-09-2008, 08:03 AM
@Ginger : It's been a couple of years that I'm into robotics and I still find it overwelming. You have to learn a lot of things in basic electricity, mecanical aspects, electronics, programing small chips, programing your computer, creating a GUI to control the bot from your computer and making Wifi or Bluetooth, Making a 'bot without programing (like a line follower). The list goes on and on... Choose something that you like and try to learn it by buying, going to the librairy and reading stuff off the net. Something I have been avoiding for a while is electronics, I have no idea how it actualy works, I'll buy a book for that soon (I heard that "Beginner robot building" and "intermidiate robot building" are good books for a base in robotics, critics online are very good. )

srobot
07-10-2008, 07:14 PM
About me...

Well to start with, I'm Scotty ["Hi Scotty"].

Robotics is my way of life.

I'm not really into music, but if someone else is playing it it's fine.

I have built many robots over my life, but did not start building too many until 2005. I write in VisualBasic, some "C", and many others. I only 100% know English, but can read some Swedish, German, and modern Japanese.

I've written p2p programs for Windows, along with many more different programs.

Windows XP is my main OS, but I also use Linux and BSD. Although I never use Macintosh, or any Apple products.

From 1995 - 1999 I was into RC cars, but later found robotics to be much more fun.

I live in the USA.

Cheers,
--Scotty

Edit - I am a Male. : P

ScuD
07-11-2008, 05:59 AM
Hi Scotty, welcome!

Did you know Swedish and German somewhat resemble dutch? You never know when you might need it! :veryhappy:

4mem8
07-12-2008, 03:40 AM
Srobot: welcome to TRC

Adrenalynn
07-12-2008, 03:55 AM
He's been around here for about a year and a half. He forum-suicided a couple weeks ago. So think of it more as a reincarnation... :)

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/blog.php?b=111

MSpurk
07-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Hey All,

My name is Matt and I'm an alcoholic, oh wait that wasn't right. Anyway, I just started reading the Trossen robotics message boards yesterday. Really only the Mech-Wars threads. Looks like a lot of talented robot builders from what I can see.

A little blurb about me. I've been building bots since 2000. I have 2 auto bots to my name one simple servo bot controlled by an OOPic (my first bot ever) one is a custom quad walker I recently finished, and now am planning on rebuilding to turn into a Mech. I've also built 30 or more combat robots. I have a wide range of sizes from a 220 pound heavyweight down to 150g skeeterweight and plenty of bots in between. I live in Orlando and work for Disney doing nothing related to robotics (construction actually). I recently started a robotics discussion group at Disney. We meet every other week and just talk bots. I'm planning on working to develop this Mech thing and presenting it to the group as it progresses. I'm also very very active in the Florida Chapter of South East Combat Robotics (SECR). I was the president 2 years ago. I gave it up when my wife and I had our first son. Anyway, I'm rambling. Lots of bots to build, so little time to build them.

Thanks for having me,
-Matt-

Adrenalynn
07-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi Matt,

Great to have you here, Welcome to the Community! :) Addictive place, though. Less time to build bots. :)

DresnerRobotics
07-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Hey All,

My name is Matt and I'm an alcoholic, oh wait that wasn't right. Anyway, I just started reading the Trossen robotics message boards yesterday. Really only the Mech-Wars threads. Looks like a lot of talented robot builders from what I can see.

A little blurb about me. I've been building bots since 2000. I have 2 auto bots to my name one simple servo bot controlled by an OOPic (my first bot ever) one is a custom quad walker I recently finished, and now am planning on rebuilding to turn into a Mech. I've also built 30 or more combat robots. I have a wide range of sizes from a 220 pound heavyweight down to 150g skeeterweight and plenty of bots in between. I live in Orlando and work for Disney doing nothing related to robotics (construction actually). I recently started a robotics discussion group at Disney. We meet every other week and just talk bots. I'm planning on working to develop this Mech thing and presenting it to the group as it progresses. I'm also very very active in the Florida Chapter of South East Combat Robotics (SECR). I was the president 2 years ago. I gave it up when my wife and I had our first son. Anyway, I'm rambling. Lots of bots to build, so little time to build them.

Thanks for having me,
-Matt-

Welcome to the community! Can't wait to see your progress on your mech, good to have some more combat robot vets onboard!

4mem8
07-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Welcome Matt, Look forward to your progress with your bots.

srobot
07-13-2008, 11:01 AM
He's been around here for about a year and a half. He forum-suicided a couple weeks ago. So think of it more as a reincarnation... :)

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/blog.php?b=111

Na, I'm just not posting as much right now. No suicide :veryhappy:

I have a few bots running on here to tell me when a post of interest comes along, or replies to stuff I posted before (like this).

From time to time you'll still see me on here. And if I find something cool I'll post about it.

Like I said in my blog post, I'm helping other communities grow, like I did with this one. Heck, I remember back when we had 1 post a week! Now we have like 400 posts a day (about)!

But yeah, I am an old member, just never got around to saying about me. :P

See you all latter!

Cheers!

rpedro
07-13-2008, 11:30 PM
I just wanted to say hi to all the members on here and give you all a quick bio:

My name is Ryan, I am 37 years old, married for 13 years to my lovely wife Amanda, have a 6 year old son named Tristan, and two awesome pugs named Cosmo who is 12 years old, and a recent adopted rescued pug named Bosley that is 10 years old... I am currently a QC Inspector at Smith International, with a level 2 magnetic particle inspection certification. I have been reading about robotics for a few years, and have been into R/C for over 10 years, but due to family life/jobs/etc haven't had time to pursue any hobbies/pastimes...I am still a very busy person, but I have decided to at least do one thing "just for me" ok, and maybe my son...:) and have finally decided to take the plunge into robotics... I decided on a KHR-2HV, and should have it by the middle of the week!!! I can't wait, and I am so excited... I hope to get to know you guys, and I will be an active poster as well as customer of the shop... nice to meet you all, and I hope to pick your brains being a noob and all...

DresnerRobotics
07-13-2008, 11:58 PM
I just wanted to say hi to all the members on here and give you all a quick bio:

My name is Ryan, I am 37 years old, married for 13 years to my lovely wife Amanda, have a 6 year old son named Tristan, and two awesome pugs named Cosmo who is 12 years old, and a recent adopted rescued pug named Bosley that is 10 years old... I am currently a QC Inspector at Smith International, with a level 2 magnetic particle inspection certification. I have been reading about robotics for a few years, and have been into R/C for over 10 years, but due to family life/jobs/etc haven't had time to pursue any hobbies/pastimes...I am still a very busy person, but I have decided to at least do one thing "just for me" ok, and maybe my son...:) and have finally decided to take the plunge into robotics... I decided on a KHR-2HV, and should have it by the middle of the week!!! I can't wait, and I am so excited... I hope to get to know you guys, and I will be an active poster as well as customer of the shop... nice to meet you all, and I hope to pick your brains being a noob and all...

Great to have you Ryan! The Kondo bots are top notch, it's awesome to have a competition worthy humanoid in a matter of hours :D Feel free to ask away, we're always here to help.

rpedro
07-14-2008, 05:57 AM
thanks!!! don't you worry... I will be asking a TON of questions...:)

tom_chang79
07-14-2008, 09:45 AM
It's awesome to see more and more Roboteers! More heads banging together means more ideas!

rpedro
07-28-2008, 11:13 PM
thanks for all the invites... my order from Trossen is due on Weds!!! I am so excited, and can't wait to be part of the KHR-2HV team...:)

cmon now, where are all the other new members... I want to hear who you are, and what you are all about!!!:)

Alex
07-29-2008, 10:32 AM
For sure! I know there have been a TON of new members sign up:D

gdubb2
07-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Hi Everyone,

Well, my name is Gary Warren, I live in a small town in Idaho. I am a retired Instrumentation Tech. Got involved with combat bots back in '01 and have been doin it ever since.My combat bots were "Maggot" and "Botfly", both 120 Lb. But I'm getting tired of the destruction, so it's time to move in a different direction.

A year or so ago I picked up a Hitec Rn-1, worked with it for a while, but didn't like the direction I was heading, so I converted it into a quad using most of the original parts. It has 3 DOF legs, 2 DOF waist, and will be the basis for my Mech. (Bheka)

Being retired gives me a lot of time to play, but getting old is kind of a pain. But wouldn't go back to work....ever!:veryhappy:

Gary

DresnerRobotics
07-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Oh man, that sounds awesome, post pics!

Welcome to the community!

Alex
07-30-2008, 09:15 AM
A year or so ago I picked up a Hitec Rn-1, worked with it for a while, but didn't like the direction I was heading, so I converted it into a quad using most of the original parts. It has 3 DOF legs, 2 DOF waist, and will be the basis for my Mech. (Bheka)Whaaat? You converted a RN-1 into a quad? Awesome! We need some pix!

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery

Welcome to the TRC:D

EDIT: Sorry, hadn't gone through all the new threads yet. Didn't see this one:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2162

Adrenalynn
07-30-2008, 11:29 AM
That's my fault. I moved it to its own thread, thought something that cool deserved its own discussion space. :)

hazaza
07-30-2008, 03:13 PM
hi everyone,
I'm mohamed...
from egypt,my friends call me hazaza...i'm 21 years old...
i have one year left to take my bachelor degree in computer science...
i'm interest in robotics,because of this i decided to include robotics in my graduation project...
i have hard time looking for a great idea...
i got an idea about using johnny five in demining as my country suffer from different kinds of mines planted during world war 2...
so i read about mines and detectors...but i think it's hard to be implemented...so i need your help about new ideas to implement it for my graduation project.

Alex
07-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Welcome mohamed! I'm sure you'll find a ton of help here with your graduation project:D

Adrenalynn
07-30-2008, 04:18 PM
welcome to the TRC!

Did you research "mine sweeping"? There are several techniques that are common. One, of course, is metal detecting. I have a good circuit for metal detecting and I have it and the layout in Eagle CAD if you like.

rpedro
07-31-2008, 09:39 PM
welcometo the TRC!!! sounds crazy... you are now part of the best robot site on the planet... you be careful...

Xan
08-01-2008, 03:27 AM
Hi All,

A few days ago I entered my name and google to see what would show up. I was surprised that, besides LM and YouTube, I also got some hits on Trossen Robotics! Finding my name on a forum where I'm not even registered, that can't be true :P. So It's about time that I join you guys. :)

My name is Jeroen (a.k.a. Xan) age 27. I'm still living with my parents in a small town in the Netherlands but my girlfriend and I are looking for a nice place to settle. I graduated as electrical engineer with a specialisation in Technical Software. I worked for about 5 years in industrial automatisation. Right now I'm working as a Software Engineer building large scale controlling software using dotNET and C#.

Last oktober (2007) I was looking for some new hobby. My current work doesn't involve as much electronics as I was use to so I missed the "seeing thinks work" part. That's when I found Zenta's Phoenix on the LM forum and desided to start robotics. On this moment I've got BlackWido (Phoenix copy) walking around with my own onboard code. It's controlled by a Wii or PS2 remote. Latest movie
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w92gXdfE1kY)
Besides BlackWido I'm building a LM phoenix to get my code "plug and play" with the LM phoenix kit.

Here is a photo of me and my girlfriend in Rome
http://members.home.nl/jj/BlackWido/P1000234.JPG

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! :)

Xan

Adrenalynn
08-01-2008, 03:34 AM
Welcome to the TRC, Xan! Can't wait to see more of your work - great to have you here!

DresnerRobotics
08-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Welcome Xan! I've followed your work on the Lynx boards and I must say I am very impressed. Glad to have you onboard!

Alex
08-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Welcome:) I'm excited to see you join in on some TRC discussions!

rpedro
08-01-2008, 09:45 PM
welcome... I hope you stick around... sounds like you have a ton of great info, and experience... hope to learn some of it from you...:)

nick_a
08-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Well my name is Nick Alvarado and I have been into robotics for the past 10 years or so. Started with some wheeled bots moved to legged locomotion and bipeds but eventually fell into ROVs. These are monsterous multi million dollar vehicles the size of hummers which roughly resemble robotics except in the harshest enviornment. I have been doing this for nearly 4 years as a profession but am mostly involved in realtime simulation subsea. I am good with most every CAD program, love building with composite (nothing beats the strength to weight ratio), and have collected enough surplus robot parts to fill a small garage. My lovely wife has always been very supportive but has severly restricted my spending habits as of late.

I am excited to participate in such an active community and hope to soon contribute myself.

Nick_a

Adrenalynn
08-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Fàilte, Nick! Welcome to the TRC - I enjoyed our chat this evening and look forward to seeing what you're bringing to MechWars!

Shouldn't you be looking for a nap soon? :)

4mem8
08-02-2008, 02:01 AM
nick_a, Welcome to this forum, Sounds like you are into some very interesting robotics, look forward to your input.

rpedro
08-02-2008, 10:13 AM
man, what a cool job... I hope to be able to talk to you soon...

evilMachina
08-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Hi everyone
My name is Marcus, age 28, I’m a software developer at a IT consulting company in Sweden.
I been interested in robots as long I can remember and have some knowledge of robotics from when I study to Computer engineer at University. Software is my specialty and I have some knowledge of electronics. And at the moment I am really interested in writing/building a robot using BDD/TDD, IOC, SRP, OCP etc. In other words using Agile principles and patterns.

I have dyslexia so my spelling is not the best and I hope you can live with that :)
Marcus

DresnerRobotics
08-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Hi everyone
My name is Marcus, age 28, I’m a software developer at a IT consulting company in Sweden.
I been interested in robots as long I can remember and have some knowledge of robotics from when I study to Computer engineer at University. Software is my specialty and I have some knowledge of electronics. And at the moment I am really interested in writing/building a robot using BDD/TDD, IOC, SRP, OCP etc. In other words using Agile principles and patterns.

I have dyslexia so my spelling is not the best and I hope you can live with that :)
Marcus

Welcome to the TRC Marcus! Sounds like you have quite the project planned, we'd love to hear more about it when you get started.

rpedro
08-03-2008, 11:59 PM
yeah, welcome...:) you will love it here, and there is so much to read and catch up on...:)

revoltage
08-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi I'm Ryan . I'm a 4th year mechatronics engineering student but knows little about practical electronics...I'm here to learn from you all and will be needing your advice for my final year project(robotics lawn mower). I'll later, if I manage to do a good work, upload my final year project (that should be sometime in July next year).

Cheers :)

Adrenalynn
08-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Welcome to the TRC Ryan! I replied to your mower project, and Ooops here on the forum can offer up a lot of practical advice since he's a bit further along in a 325lb (150kg) mower himself.

Again - welcome!