PDA

View Full Version : Bioloid Snowboard

srobot
02-06-2008, 01:26 PM
With all of this great northen Wisconsin snow I want to create a snowboard for my Bioloid.

The thing is I have no idea how to start, I want it to be cheap, strong, and work (yup, he's going to shred some hill!). I have wood, and saws.

Any ideas?

--Scotty

jdolecki
02-07-2008, 08:31 AM
I would start with a skate board deck.

As for the bindings use little toggle clamps.

How are you going to protect the electronics from getting wet?

srobot
02-07-2008, 01:25 PM
I would start with a skate board deck.

As for the bindings use little toggle clamps.

How are you going to protect the electronics from getting wet?

Good ideas!

Snow board by winter, skate board by summer.

To protect the electronics from getting wet, I was thinking about making a coat with tight ends so snow will not come in. This will also protect the robot from the cold.

--Scotty

srobot
02-07-2008, 03:08 PM
To protect the electronics from getting wet, I was thinking about making a coat with tight ends so snow will not come in. This will also protect the robot from the cold.

I was just looking around the net, baby coats look like the best thing to use. That or I have to make the coat.

--Scotty

Dave
02-08-2008, 12:47 PM
I was just looking around the net, baby coats look like the best thing to use. That or I have to make the coat.

Haha. I want to see this. Seriously though, as much as I'd like to see your Bioloid wearing a tiny snowsuit, you're probably going to need something more like a spacesuit to keep all of the important bits dry.

srobot
02-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Haha. I want to see this. Seriously though, as much as I'd like to see your Bioloid wearing a tiny snowsuit, you're probably going to need something more like a spacesuit to keep all of the important bits dry.

Maybe I should get 'un with little blue robots on it. :veryhappy:

I like your idea of a spacesuit, I could make one with lite rubber on the inside (touching the robot), and fabric on the outside, with elastic on the openings.

Matt
02-10-2008, 03:13 PM
I don't see how a robot could do more than stand still on a board and ride down on a small hill until it fell over. It seems like the response time for anything would be far far too slow. I worry about breaking a $900 item also

But I like the new direction this is taking :) I've been wanting to see someone dress up a robot "skeleton" with baby clothes or doll clothes for awhile now. Put a baby head (plastic, not real) on it and then animate it. I think it would be an interesting project entering into the uncanny valley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_Valley). Imagine how fun it would be to freak out your friends and family when a little 2 foot chucky walks into the room. :)

srobot
02-11-2008, 09:28 AM
I don't see how a robot could do more than stand still on a board and ride down on a small hill until it fell over. It seems like the response time for anything would be far far too slow. I worry about breaking a $900 item also

But I like the new direction this is taking :) I've been wanting to see someone dress up a robot "skeleton" with baby clothes or doll clothes for awhile now. Put a baby head (plastic, not real) on it and then animate it. I think it would be an interesting project entering into the uncanny valley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_Valley). Imagine how fun it would be to freak out your friends and family when a little 2 foot chucky walks into the room. :)

I have the same thoughts as you have about breaking a $900 item. Before I do this project I want to plan it all out, that way not much can go wrong.

My Bioloid (William) has an IMU from HUV Robotics on it so he can "feel" if it is falling, and correct its movements. Although this will not make it perfect...

Uncanny Valley looks cool! Ideas are coming in... Maybe I'll have to do this in 2010.

Cheers,
--Scotty

jdolecki
02-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Speaking of dressing up robots,If I built a robot and dressed it up in womens clothes would that be cheating on my wife?

Matt
02-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Not if you invite her :)

Dave
02-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Speaking of dressing up robots,If I built a robot and dressed it up in womens clothes would that be cheating on my wife?
I think this would indicate problems much deeper and more disturbing than marital infidelity.

DresnerRobotics
02-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Put a baby head (plastic, not real)

cough*pussy*cough

DresnerRobotics
02-11-2008, 02:45 PM
I think this would indicate problems much deeper and more disturbing than marital infidelity.

Now now, I think there would be a surprisingly large market for an animatronic Real Doll.

Doesn't make it right though :eek:

Alex
02-11-2008, 02:53 PM
real doll... You mean the actual "Real Doll" (Google it, you'll find what I'm talking about, NSFW);)

I saw an entire documentary on these on The Discovery channel. It was nutz! This company is planning (may have done it already, dunno for sure) to make their "dolls" mechanical in that the "parts" actually move around by themselves...

Quite disturbing, but interesting to see how robotics are being applied everywhere we go!

I'm cool with it though, so long as one of these "Real Dolls" don't start hanging out on street corners asking me if I want to have a little fun:D

Dave
02-11-2008, 03:04 PM
I saw an entire documentary on these on The Discovery channel.

Man, I made it through maybe ten minutes of that documentary before I had to shut it off. I mean, I'm fascinated by abnormal psychology, but that was just too damn creepy.

DresnerRobotics
02-11-2008, 03:14 PM
I saw the HBO Real Sex version, which was likely much more graphic then the discovery channel version.

What's really creepy, is I think we will see android sexbots within our lifetime easily.

(btw, how did we go from snowboarding bioloids to sex with robots? lol)

srobot
02-11-2008, 03:48 PM

Troll! :veryhappy:

Alex
02-11-2008, 03:55 PM

All robot conversations eventually lead to the inevitable discussion of sex with robots;)

Matt
02-11-2008, 03:59 PM
This thread got SO hijacked, LOL. Sorry Scotty! :D

DresnerRobotics
02-11-2008, 04:00 PM
All robot conversations eventually lead to the inevitable discussion of sex with robots;)

I dub this concept: "Alex's Law"

Be proud.

srobot
02-11-2008, 04:02 PM
SO, does ANYONE think William should go snowboarding, or should he just live on the streets?!!

Why don't we stop talking about creepy stuff? Just think what it does to your brain!!!

Now let's end creepyness with this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdfvWAp5GUw

Dave
02-11-2008, 04:06 PM
[youtube="gdfvWAp5GUw"]

One of these days, you're going to figure out how to properly embed a youtube clip. I believe in you, man.

Dave
02-11-2008, 04:09 PM
SO, does ANYONE think William should go snowboarding, or should he just live on the streets?!!

William is destined to be a hobobot :P.

srobot
02-11-2008, 04:10 PM
One of these days, you're going to figure out how to properly imbed a youtube clip. I believe in you, man.

Why don't we just get an easy way to imbed videos? Why, oh why, do we take the URL after the "="? Maybe it was after the "?", or the "v"... Who knows?

Matt
02-11-2008, 04:17 PM
As long as we've veered this far off course :)

Author of 'Love and Sex with Robots' on Colbert

http://gizmodo.com/347233/love-and-sex-with-robots-author-on-colbert

Matt
02-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Why don't we just get an easy way to imbed videos? Why, oh why, do we take the URL after the "="? Maybe it was after the "?", or the "v"... Who knows?

Uhhhh, Scotty >>>> http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/faq.php?faq=trfaq#faq_youtubetag

:)

Matt
02-11-2008, 04:21 PM
This is Hilarious :)

Future Shock - Robots
Samantha Bee looks at the ways in which the human body is getting closer to perfection. (http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=114678&title=future-shock-robots)

Alex
02-11-2008, 04:28 PM
and now for Pleo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POVFepuGoic

srobot
02-11-2008, 04:32 PM
I made a nice little place for you:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1412