PDA

View Full Version : Plaresu Juumaru

tom_chang79
02-25-2008, 09:34 AM
This was a cool anime about humanoid robots that were controlled by laptops/computers back in the 80s that I used to watch as a kid in Japan, anyone ever watch this?

Here's a link to one of the episodes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9FD6qOgD_s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9FD6qOgD_s)

When I saw the Kondo robot for the first time a couple of years ago, this was the cartoon that came to mind...

This cartoon was waaay ahead of its time, only until recently has it become closer to reality...

Matt
02-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Darn, video removed :( ....

tom_chang79
02-25-2008, 03:23 PM
I don't have access to youtube at this moment, but try doing a search on "sanshiro jumaru" and you should be able to find a few videos out there.
Strange, I was just watching it last night... I wonder why it got removed... As far as I know, they (the Japanese TV Studio) doesn't even have DVD distribution of this fine cartoon.

MYKL
02-25-2008, 06:17 PM
I'd love to see these in english.

I'm learning chinese so maybe in four or five years I can get a set like this and understand it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VCD-Plawres-3-Shirou-Australia-February-SALE-ON_W0QQitemZ250217818313QQihZ015QQcategoryZ31206QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQc mdZViewItem

I want to make my ROBONOVA into a Mad Hurricane now...

Very cool!

Did you ever see Star Blazers? (Star Battleship Yamato)

tom_chang79
02-25-2008, 08:31 PM
That is a pretty cool set. It's probably a pirated copy (since there are Chinese subtitle), but what is pirated for something that isn't really published in an original format (other then airing over the free air)?

Learning Chinese is quite a challenge, but you'd be only able to read the subtitle. The main language of those VCDs are still in Japanese. Written, Japanese use a tiny subset of Chinese characters mixed in with their phonetic-based characters (mostly simplified Chinese characters), but verbally, they are completely different. I speak and write both, they are quite translatable between the two, often times from Japanese translated into Chinese (but not so easy the other way around), but they are far from being similar...

"Plawres" or the more correct way to spell it, "Pura Resu" is a play on the English equivalent, which is "Plastic Wrestling" which is a play on the words "Pro Wrestling".

"Pro Wrestling" is "Puro Resu" in Japanese

"Plastic Wrestling" is "Pura Resu" in Japanese

Enjoy, here is the search link on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sanshiro+jumaru&search_type=

tom_chang79
02-25-2008, 08:41 PM
How annoying, the only copies left on youtube are all in Greek. I hate dubbing, it makes the characters sound VERY out-of-character.

MYKL
02-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Ni Hau!

I had my first Mandarin class last night. This is going to be fun!

First I get to learn to speak a very different language and hopefully learn a lot about the people and culture along the way. Then I will learn to read and write the characters because they IMHO are really what Chinese is all about. All the while attening a class with college students. It makes me feel the energy of youth and the fire of competition again. I've messed around with some Japanese Kanji. I believe that most of the characters used in this art form are based upon Chinese characters. You know English, Japanese, and Chinese?! Very impressive. Do you know Madarin and Cantonese?

I wish the YouTube versions of this show were in english dubbed or whatever. I was very suprised by the similarities to the Robo-One competition it has. It would be great to have audiences like that to watch something you created perform. My work on my project will probably suffer a bit in the next few months (and years probably) whilst I focus on learning an alien tongue. But I will be working on it as soon as I get used to the new demand on my time.

Zai Jian...

^_^

darkback2
04-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Thats funny...I watched all of full metal alchemist in japanese, by the last season I thought I understood what they were saying...until I turned away from the screen...then I'd be like...why can't I understand what they are saying.

DB