PDA

View Full Version : Security robot chases away drug dealers, built by bar owner!

Matt
02-25-2008, 12:24 PM
This is AWESOME. Rufus Terill built a security robot to chase criminals away from his bar (http://www.oterrills.com/)!!! I LOVE seeing real world uses for robotics and this is one of them. I would have paid a million bucks to see the look on the faces of the drug dealers when a freaking robot rolled up and told them to get the F&@$ out of there and started spraying them with water. They must have been absolutely dumbfounded.

Video:
http://www.ajc.com/multimedia/content/multimedia/video/index.html?clip=66347

Article:
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/02/20/robot_0221.html

I sent Rufus an invite to come post about his robot here. Hopefully he will swing by and say hello. Found via Robots.net.

MYKL
02-25-2008, 12:47 PM
That's awesome!

He teleoperates it from a distance or is it autonomous? I hope he is in a safe place...

He might have to replace the squirt gun for a can of pepperspray.

^_^

Matt
02-25-2008, 12:55 PM
teleoperates from the bar and all the locals hang out and enjoy the entertainment as well.

DresnerRobotics
02-25-2008, 01:03 PM
That's awesome!

He teleoperates it from a distance or is it autonomous? I hope he is in a safe place...

He might have to replace the squirt gun for a can of pepperspray.

^_^

Eh, hes already running the risk of assault charges with just the squirt gun... pepper spray would really get him in trouble.

Cool little bot though, would definitely be safer if he could operate it from inside though. I thought it had a camera?

jdolecki
02-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Like i said in a earler post Robot Law is the next big thing.

Here we have a Human using a robot to defend his property.

So the First law of robotics was already broken.

A robot cannot harm a Human. ( Even though it was only water)

Can he use force even though he's teleoperating this robot?

What happens if he uses a stun gun to stop the intruder until the police arrive.

He's in no danger of harm but is he still allowed to stop someone from tresspassing with his robot?

Matt
02-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Eh, hes already running the risk of assault charges with just the squirt gun... pepper spray would really get him in trouble.

Cool little bot though, would definitely be safer if he could operate it from inside though. I thought it had a camera?

Yeah, but you gotta have mad respect for the guy. I'm so tired of people cowing under the threat of a frivolous lawsuit. He's got balls and I commend him for it.

The bot has a camera and I imagine they are watching it on the bar TV while they operate it. That was a major point to confront the thugs remotely while safe.

You know what will happen next, the drug dealers will build dealer bots or dealer protector bots and start a new bot war of sorts. LOL.

Matt
02-25-2008, 02:21 PM

What law? It's a line from a fictional book, is my point. It's not a law or rule anyone is following. The military has been working on robotic bombers and sentry guns for years.

MYKL
02-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Excellent point.

Also, The robot was not in control of its actions. The only thing it was 'concious' of was makeing the little motors turn when ever the comand(s) were given. So technically the robot did not have a direct part in choosing whether to attack or not.

DresnerRobotics
02-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah, but you gotta have mad respect for the guy. I'm so tired of people cowing under the threat of a frivolous lawsuit. He's got balls and I commend him for it.

The bot has a camera and I imagine they are watching it on the bar TV while they operate it. That was a major point to confront the thugs remotely while safe.

You know what will happen next, the drug dealers will build dealer bots or dealer protector bots and start a new bot war of sorts. LOL.

Oh no, I agree. Don't get me wrong, I think this thing is awesome. I just hope he doesn't get in trouble for using it, because by and large, people are pussies. Though, I can't imagine a drug dealer/thieve is going to report him...

"Ya I'd like to file a complaint against this robot, I was trying to sell crack on the street corner and I got squirted with WATER by a robot telling me to get lost!"

Matt
02-25-2008, 02:45 PM
What sucks is that one of them could get the idea in their head and go there not selling drugs and pretend to be then get sprayed and try to start a lawsuit. I can totally see it being tried, but I can also see a court rolling their eyes once they hear the back story and throw the case out and tell the guy to stay off private property and stop loitering on street corners in a known drug selling area. I would like to think that the cops and courts would have this business owners back.

And now I'm building a spray bot to keep Jenny, Alex, and Dave busy or just for fun.

JimH
02-25-2008, 06:59 PM
As I was watching the video I was thinking...that looks like a smoker grill. Then he said what, to me, just summed it all up... "Smells like chicken, but it'll still gitchya".

I wonder how long it will be before someone catches on and just knocked the thing over, or worse just steals it.

jrowe47
02-25-2008, 10:14 PM
He should integrate a cell phone and a GPS, so he can remotely dial 911 and tell them to track the GPS locator. Whoever tried to steal it would most likely have many other things they'd get in trouble for wherever they ended up. Like drugs in the car or house, etc...

;)

kdwyer
02-26-2008, 09:50 AM
It don't get any better than this!

Made from spare parts - Bitchin!

A real-world use ... stupendous!

I'll bet he will have to 'harden' it soon, like as soon as one of the undesireables takes a baseball bat to it.

And I'll bet he will keep it teleoperated. Autonomy just isn't called for, here. He should get a voice synthesizer so it is impersonal, he wouldn't want to be identified.

The water-squirt is childish tho, he'll get them to leave alot quicker if it announces that they are being recorded and sent to the police. Or maybe give the local police the capability of a direct feed via Internet link. But then they'll ALL want one.

VERY good real-world use of technology. Lets put our end-effectors together for R. Terrill.
Rah! Rah! RAH!

LinuxGuy
03-20-2008, 11:07 PM

Where exactly did the harm come to the Humans? It has to be HARM done to Humans to break the first law. I don't see where water harms anyone unless it was under extremely high presure, which seriously I doubt in this case.

Secondly, the robot was not under autonomous operation, so the bar owner controls what it does and the three laws of robotics to not apply. :happy: I have a bit narrower definition of what is a real robot - one that operates completely autonomously.

8-Dale