PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem!

DresnerRobotics
02-26-2008, 12:38 PM
And I'm already losing sleep over it!

What is my J5 classified as? He's half humanoid, half treaded rover... this boggles my mind.

Alex, is this intentional robo-segregation? Are you trying to tell me something? Are my mixed-breed creations not welcome here?

The obvious solution is I need my own sub forum :D

MYKL
02-26-2008, 12:57 PM
This could be a PC can of worms.

Are people with wheels still human?

What makes a humaniod humananoid? Being a biped? Having arms and legs? What about hands and a head? And feet?

Fun

^_^

Matt
02-26-2008, 01:45 PM
And so it begins... :p

Dave
02-26-2008, 02:01 PM
I'd say a humanoid torso is enough to classify a robot as humanoid.

Are people with wheels still human?

That's pretty much what I was thinking. If I chopped your legs off and installed treads there instead, you'd still be human. You'd be a freakish abomination and an offense against nature, but I think we could still call you human.

DresnerRobotics
02-26-2008, 02:01 PM
And so it begins... :p

This is no laughing matter Matt. I already called my wife and updated her on the latest internet forum news. Where does my robot belong?!

She cared.

I think.

DresnerRobotics
02-26-2008, 02:03 PM
That's pretty much what I was thinking. If I chopped your legs off and installed treads there instead, you'd still be human. You'd be a freakish abomination and an offense against nature, but I think we could still call you human.

If by freakish abomination offense against nature, you mean awesome, then I agree.

kdwyer
02-26-2008, 02:47 PM
One might suppose that J5 could take it as an insult to be called 'humanoid'. I think 'superior being' suffices.
Rather, perhaps you are merely semi-robotic yourself?

Droid Works
02-26-2008, 02:58 PM
How about a new classification a droid...lol phun intended. But seriously I think a new classification is in order. Its not a humanoid and its not just a track bot. Tough call I can see the this will be a long discussion.

Matt
02-26-2008, 03:18 PM
I think you should rip him in half and put half in each forum. It's the only sensible solution...

Dave
02-26-2008, 03:31 PM
If by freakish abomination offense against nature, you mean awesome, then I agree.

Actually... yeah.

How about a new classification a droid...

Ok, but "droid" would encompas humanoids and rovers, in my view. Our goal was to cut down on clutter by making more specific subforums. You're not helping, damnit! :mad:

I can see the this will be a long discussion.

No joke, man. Discussions never end when you're dealing with dorks like us. We argue things to death.

JimH
02-26-2008, 03:49 PM
J5 is obviously a hybrid. Perhaps we'll need a sub forum for trackoids or possibly humackbots (humanoid track-based robots of course). Hmmm...perhaps once the title system has been conquered adequately, we can take on the task of re-categorizing all robot possibilities and subsequent names...

MYKL
02-26-2008, 03:56 PM
What about 'bots like R2? He has leg/arm things but he rolls about on his wheels.

Perhaps a section that specifies some sort of Anthropomorphism as a requirement?

Anthrobiomimetic Constructs.

Bionics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionics

Oh OH and telepresent cybernetics.

YUM

^_^

Tymtravler
03-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Ty
You modeled J5 from the real Johnny 5, SOOOOOOOO he's a track bot. Don't me ashamed, just think your J5 can run faster then a BiPed, and it can run over things, very coooool.

Tymtravler

cmmguy
03-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Does it have an opposable thumb and use tools?

kdwyer
03-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Opposable thumb? What is that compared to a good end effector? Can a thumb weld? Apply paint? And how many lasers does a thumb have?
Just because a robot sometimes imitates life-forms does not mean it is the best method to use, just what we puny fragile carbon-based have to settle for.

My robot made me say this...

cmmguy
03-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Dont disagree but a few of the defining points of humans are opposable thumbs and the use of tools, so maybe for a robot to be a humanoid, it might have these defining features? Otherwise it might be just a vacuum cleaner.:veryhappy:

Matt
03-04-2008, 12:26 AM
I want a laser on my thumb. pew pew pew!

MYKL
03-04-2008, 11:14 AM
How about a built in cell phone mic in your thumb and a speaker in your ear canal rather than lasers Matt. With a backlit tattoo of the number/letter pad on your palm. That might be useful. And you won't go to the hospital after accidently vaporizing your naughty bitz.

I agree with cmmguy as far as the bots being created in our image or in the image of that which pleases us. Robots are tools. Why make a robotic vaccuum that looks like a vaccuum? Make a bot that can USE a vaccuum and get you a beer and dance like a monkey when you snap your fleshy fingers...

^_^

Dave
03-04-2008, 02:17 PM
How about a built in cell phone mic in your thumb and a speaker in your ear canal rather than lasers Matt. With a backlit tattoo of the number/letter pad on your palm.

Didn't Inspector Gadget have this?

DresnerRobotics
03-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Didn't Inspector Gadget have this?

I dunno, but Im going to get that tattoo just so I can pretend. The technology will come later, right? :D

Droid Works
03-05-2008, 01:45 AM
All this talk about the j5 has made me want one. They are a pretty cool TRACK BOT...lol

DresnerRobotics
03-05-2008, 08:41 AM
All this talk about the j5 has made me want one. They are a pretty cool TRACK BOT...lol

AND they have room for upgrades such as onboard PCs :p (buy one, you know you want to!)

Droid Works
03-05-2008, 09:31 AM
I was going to buy a rbt-1 and robonova on my next order but I think I'm going to buy a j5 and robonova instead. It looks like tons of fun to hack.

LinuxGuy
03-18-2008, 11:08 PM
And I'm already losing sleep over it!

What is my J5 classified as? He's half humanoid, half treaded rover... this boggles my mind.
Obviously, J5 is a half humanoid awesome treaded rover. :happy:

He's not a biped, so those forums do not apply. There is no need for a special forum since rovers can be both wheeled and tracked. :wink:

I never could figure out why there is a distinction between tracked and wheeled rovers, since only the base would be different, and maybe sensor mounts on the base, and possibly battery mounts, and maybe even umm, perhaps ground clearance and suspension setups. :wink::wink:

I am right. :happy: Admit it. Yes, you know who you are.. :veryhappy::veryhappy:

8-Dale

Sienna
04-01-2008, 06:52 PM
If I chopped your legs off and installed treads there instead, you'd still be human. You'd be a freakish abomination and an offense against nature, but I think we could still call you human.

Hmm... I would have thought that would make you a Strogg.... :look

DresnerRobotics
04-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Hmm... I would have thought that would make you a Strogg.... :look

What is this madness!? Girls aren't supposed to know what Strogg are! :eek:

Sienna
04-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Well, I am not your ordinary girl! I grew up on LEGO and computers, not barbies! I am an engineer!

Of course, I also share most engineer's weaknesses... like, I can't cook, and in RL I am very shy.

Besides, everyone knew the Strogg had cooties! :veryhappy: I was doing the world a public service!

Alex
04-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Of course, I also share most engineer's weaknesses... like, I can't cook, and in RL I am very shy.

Ok, I'm am pretty shy, but... I can cook, haha;)

4mem8
04-24-2008, 10:51 PM
M'mmmm this is a good question Tyberius, If I had to have tracks for my lower half I would not mind being called a humandroid!! but I can see this is a tricky question.

LinuxGuy
04-24-2008, 11:18 PM
I was going to buy a rbt-1 and robonova on my next order but I think I'm going to buy a j5 and robonova instead. It looks like tons of fun to hack.
I have a design for a 6DOF SES biped leg that I think might beat the Robonova, if you are interested. I haven't created a 3D model of both legs yet though. The leg I have designed is a triple double-jointed leg.

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
04-24-2008, 11:30 PM
I can cook!

I open the package, I split the film EXACTLY 1", just like it calls for, I toss it in the white box, I punch "3", I take it out sixty seconds after it beeps and scrolls "your food is ready", peel off the film, and ingest.

See - I *can* cook.

LinuxGuy
04-25-2008, 12:16 AM
I can cook!

I open the package, I split the film EXACTLY 1", just like it calls for, I toss it in the white box, I punch "3", I take it out sixty seconds after it beeps and scrolls "your food is ready", peel off the film, and ingest.

See - I *can* cook.
Wow, we cook the same way! :happy:

However, and this is scary, I am making pancakes now. I'm not using my microwave either. :veryhappy: I'm not terribly comfortable in that place people usually call a 'kitchen' these days.

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
04-25-2008, 12:24 AM
That's what robots are for...

robot maker
08-09-2008, 08:11 PM
same here i am shy ,but love to bake
started electronics about 7 years old ,when i took apart a outlet,about 9 build my first robot out of cardboard and i was inside it,look really good at the time
now i design and build in-house testers

Ok, I'm am pretty shy, but... I can cook, haha;)

Electricity
08-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Sense this thread has already been necro'd, I'd just like to point out that it is REALLY REALLY funny.. Made me lol all through it.

pladoh
08-26-2008, 08:52 PM
k on topic, i think that if a robot has tracks it is a trackbot no matter what; an awesome trackbot, yet a trackbot nonetheless...

sam
08-27-2008, 08:00 AM
I think we should definatly have a special classe for robots that are rover/track bots with humanoid torso or even just and arm would suffice to put it in this class.

I agree Elec. Made me laugh a lot too:rolleyes:

Well, I don't really care what you guys choose as long as all the J5 are in the same category. they seem to be evrywhere at the moment.

Adrenalynn
08-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Some of them being everywhere is actually for better organization. I moved one over into general because it was titled as a J5 build but was really nothing more than a general discussion of basic robotics. If there's ever a J5 in that J5, I'll group it back again...

Electricity
08-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Why not a hybrid section? For all the bots that don't quite belong anywhere else.

robot maker
08-27-2008, 11:18 PM
yes i very much agree,if robot has tracks its a trackbot
as the thead topic says track based robot,a robot that has tracks for a base

k on topic, i think that if a robot has tracks it is a trackbot no matter what; an awesome trackbot, yet a trackbot nonetheless...