PDA

View Full Version : [News/Announcement] KHR-2HV leg pivot kit

Dave
02-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Basically, this upgrade kit for the KHR-2HV adds one servo that pivots both legs away from each other, so it can turn without having to shuffle its feet. The cool part is that it doesn't add much, if any, height to the robot, so it doesn't raise the center of gravity much.

We're thinking about stocking this, so I figured I'd do a quick interest check here on the forums to see what you guys think of it.

Here are the parts:

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/images/forums/01243.jpg

Here's a link to a video (400 kB):
KHR-2HV with super awesome ninja pivot-turning skills (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/images/forums/pivot-turn.wmv)

I've also attached the assembly manual for anybody who wants to check it out.

RobotServicesGroup
02-26-2008, 06:56 PM
It looks like the robot turns 180 degrees in about 10 steps in under 7 seconds. That is a huge upgrade from having to shuffle to turn around. How much for the kit, and would it be better to just get the KHR-1HV?

tom_chang79
02-26-2008, 09:09 PM
This definitely looks like an interesting and a welcome mod. Where did the KHR-2HV owners go? If I had a 2HV, I'd definitely get one of these. Dave, just a thought: combo the deal with a servo (of course adjust the pricing from the addition) would entice people to buy?

Robotservicesgroup, why not a review and a comparison of the 2HV with this mod versus a 1HV on turning?

Dave
02-27-2008, 11:46 AM
The kit, without servos, would retail here for about $65-70. We would probably have a combo kit that included a KRS-788HV servo, and that would come out to about $120. We'll probably also pick up some KRS-2350HV servos for people who want some extra speed and power, and those would sell for about $155 apiece. Pricey, but the 2350's are beefy as hell so it'd probably be worth it.

Kit: ~$70
Kit w/ 788 servo: ~$120
Kit w/ 2350 servo: ~$220

Keep in mind that these prices aren't final. They might go up a few bucks because I haven't taken into account the freight costs to get the stuff into this country.

MYKL
02-27-2008, 12:33 PM
One servo to turn both hips through linkages.

Things that make you go Hmm... Is there any videos anywhere of this in action? The location is interesting. In the Khr models the Battery is not in the same place as in the RN-1 I assume.

Very cool.

*Gently pats his own robot that is sorely wanting for attention lately*

Do you have the entire assembly manual in PDF format?
Has anyone used two servos in tandem using linkages for a boost in torque and thus speed?

Hi

^_^

tom_chang79
03-03-2008, 02:49 PM
After watching the video, I must say that this is one trick mod/add-on for the 2HV. Seeing the 2HV turn like that almost makes you think it was a 1HV...

MYKL
03-04-2008, 11:03 AM
I am so gonna do that to my RN-1...

^_^

Dave
03-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Is there any videos anywhere of this in action?

Just the one I linked to in the first post. I'd put it on youtube, but it's not ours. Intellectual property and all that jazz, you know what I'm saying.

In the Khr models the Battery is not in the same place as in the RN-1 I assume.

It's strapped to the chest in the KHR bots. Am I the only one who's a little embarrassed for Robonova every time I have to remove his battery?

Do you have the entire assembly manual in PDF format?

Nope. When I asked, all they had available was a printed manual, which they were kind enough to scan for me.

Has anyone used two servos in tandem using linkages for a boost in torque and thus speed?

If you were going to do this, I'd just recommend just using one stronger servo. Fitting two down there would be pretty difficult.

MYKL
03-04-2008, 03:19 PM
I guess I deserved that, posting the question where I did.

What I meant was has anyone linked two or more servos to access the extra torque and thus speed in any application/location? I was thinking more like a high stressed joint like the knee or shoulder or elbow.

I should post this in its own thread I guess.

I always change my RN-1's Power Supply with it facing away from me for the same gynacologistic reasons you might Dave. I think I may move to a different Batt array and strap it to his chest too. Then it will be easier to incorperate a set up for hip rotation like the one shown here.

I must be reading these post to fast 'cause I swear I didn't see the link to the video the first time I bounced through here.

^_^