PDA

View Full Version : 1-Motor Phidget servo problem

Eric
02-27-2008, 12:17 PM
I just bought the 1-Motor Phidget USB Servo Controller Kit, and it looks awesome. One problem though... I cannot make the servo move. The interface that it comes with, sees the board, and serial number and the communication seems fine. But moving the servo position controller appears to do nothing...
Things I have done:
- emailed tech support... waiting on reply so I thought I would see what you guys think...
- Made sure the servo is plugged in correctly... BRW (W replaced with yellow cable).
- Made sure servo is plugged in all the way.
- Visual check of solder and connections surrounding the servo attachment.
- Put in a different servo Futaba

This is the standard kit (HiTech 322 servo) 6ft usb cable...
Anyone have any ideas??? (I'm thinking power...but just a guess)

Alex
02-27-2008, 02:18 PM
very strange.... Are you running the Phidget Manager (icon with "Ph" in your system tray)? If so, did you run the demo app by double clicking on the Ph icon, and then double clicking on the servo controller in the list?

Eric
02-27-2008, 02:53 PM
You're right... Very strange...
Q.Are you running the Phidget Manager (icon with "Ph" in your system tray)?
A. Yup.
Q. If so, did you run the demo app by double clicking on the Ph icon, and then double clicking on the servo controller in the list?
A. Yes. And by all indications, it looks like it should work. The startup sheet that came with the kit has exactly what you said. I ran it and it comes up with serial number, version 313. Double click the Phidget Servo controller and the new Servo-full window returns TRUE, serial # and version. Change the slider... nothing. hmmmm

My next step is to see if I can dig up my old multi-meter and see if any signal or voltage is being sent out of the servo leads... May have to buy a new multimeter though...
Thanks for the quick response!

DresnerRobotics
02-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Is the servo horn easily turned? If they're powered (even without signal) they're usually much harder to turn then without power.

Dave
02-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Which output port is your servo plugged into? Only port 0 is powered by the USB, the other three require an external power source. Measure from the center pin to ground on each port and let me know what you see.

Eric
02-27-2008, 04:07 PM
ohhh... good idea! I didn't think of that... Testing...
Unfortunatly, it does turn... and the other servo does too. :(
Good thinking though!

Dave
02-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Looks like I was in a bit of a hurry when I read your post. Obviously, your controller only has one port, and it's powered by the USB, so disregard my comments concerning that.

Plug in the USB, run the demo app, and swing the slider around a bit. If the servo doesn't power up, then it could be a defective controller. Try a different USB cable if you have one lying around, just so we can rule that out.

If it still doesn't work, email me with your order number and we'll arange a return.

Eric
02-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Dave... I tried a new cable and it's still the same result. I will try it out on a different machine tomorrow (to rule out any weird USB issues). As for return.. ha! these things are way too cool to not try again... exchange! I'll email with details tomorrow.

Eric
03-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Yea... Just got the replacement and it works great! Thanks guys!:happy: