View Full Version : Automated killer robots 'threat to humanity'

jrowe47
02-27-2008, 03:00 PM
News article on the drudge report.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080227111811.y9syyq8p&show_article=1

asbrandsson
02-28-2008, 11:36 PM
hello,

I think that there is a danger of robot soldiers being harmful to human kind, but I also think that human soldiers have proven to be harmful to other humans and are also dangerous in the hands of terrorists. Technology is a tool that is neither good or bad in itself, it is only how it is used.

Asbrandsson

jrowe47
02-29-2008, 04:51 AM
Oh, absolutely, but this is what the great uninformed mass of humanity generally believes. It's funny to watch people flip out over things like this, when the "nerds" and sci-fi devotees have already pondered these issues to their extremities, and usually found solutions.

I like William Gibson's solution to potential machine threats... strap the equivalent of an electromagnetic shotgun to every robot's head, controllable only by the owner. It's at the point now where software is what counts, as far as battle rovers go. As long as you can scramble or wipe the software in a capture situation, it's good.

asbrandsson
02-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Hello,

I think that nothing is fail safe, and basically that is the risk you take creating robots. A bulldozer is a good tool, but if you are not careful it will run over you. But we mitigate the risks by using caution. I am sure you can boot the same robot a thousand times and one time something will go wrong. It is murphies law.

Asbrandsson