PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical community challenge

misiu
02-28-2008, 08:20 PM
So I’m sure everyone has heard of the Google x-flight challenge... If you haven’t its a 30 million prize for the first team that can put a rover on the moon, have the rover travel 500 meters send back high rez images of not only its trip but of itself too. Not to mention transmit about a gig of data back to earth.

After reading the forums here imp pretty sure everyone could handle the rover part of the mission although calling a camera company and asking if their camera will work on the moon would probably raise a few eyebrows.

Anyway the question is... How would you do it? I have to tell you getting it out of orbit, on the path to the moon I think I could figure out. Figuring out how to slow an object traveling at 12,000 mph in space down to a point where it’s going slow enough that it doesn’t disintegrate on contact with the surface of the moon is beyond me.
As a friend put it… “Waiting till its dark out and then just push the button when the moon is dead ahead just dosent cut it.”

Alex
02-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Hmm.... I'm sure we put all of our minds together here, we could do this. The question is though, is how do we get everyone together to build it?

Robin Hewitt
02-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Here's the plan. The launch vehicle has to look like a High School project, something to do with global warming, save the whales and international harmony. Whatever it takes to get it on board a space shuttle. Once on board and before lift off the 'project' disgorges our launch vehicle which makes its way to the cargo bay where it does its best to blend in and prepare to take off like a scalded cat as soon as the way is clear.

Once in orbit it opens an umbrella whenever the solar wind is behind it, after a year or so when it is in a high enough orbit and escape velocity is hardly a bother it fires a booster and heads off for the moon. It has to be mostly reaction mass so we can slow it and enter a high lunar orbit. Out with the brolly again, this time to slow it and eventually plummet. At the last moment fire the last of the rocket fuel using the last drop to inflate the air bags.

QED :veryhappy:

misiu
02-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Hmm.... I'm sure we put all of our minds together here, we could do this. The question is though, is how do we get everyone together to build it?

Bah!! were on a robotics forums.. we dont need to get everyone together a couple robotic arms with a web interface :-)