PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Designer Scared!

srobot
03-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Jonathan Ive seems scared of the company he works for, yet he says that the company listens and is nice? Sounds like a bad Apple to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOONhFutsrg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOONhFutsrg

Windows is sooo better...

--Scotty

Edit -

Look Mom, I put a YouTube video in a TR post!

Dave
03-04-2008, 11:58 AM
That's a pretty interesting video, though it looks kind of old. Jonathan Ive has designed some really slick products. Although, I'd say that the real strength of Apple products is their interfaces, which he had nothing to do with.

Windows is sooo better...

C'mon, man. I'm really not an Apple fanboy, I use a Windows machine primarily, but I want to point something out. Apple managed to wrap an amazingly smooth GUI around Unix, making it simple to use yet still allowing axcess to the full capabilities of the Unix command prompt. Windows seems to go out of its way to cripple the abilities of users who are used to a lower-level interface, and I always get the feeling that Microsoft products are bossing me around and treating me like a toddler who doesn't know his ballocks from his batch files.

Dave
03-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Oh god, I just realised I've turned into this guy:

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/images/forums/duty_calls.png

Curses.

srobot
03-04-2008, 02:39 PM
That's a pretty interesting video, though it looks kind of old. Jonathan Ive has designed some really slick products. Although, I'd say that the real strength of Apple products is their interfaces, which he had nothing to do with.

C'mon, man. I'm really not an Apple fanboy, I use a Windows machine primarily, but I want to point something out. Apple managed to wrap an amazingly smooth GUI around Unix, making it simple to use yet still allowing axcess to the full capabilities of the Unix command prompt. Windows seems to go out of its way to cripple the abilities of users who are used to a lower-level interface, and I always get the feeling that Microsoft products are bossing me around and treating me like a toddler who doesn't know his ballocks from his batch files.

I'm not telling what OS to use, but can you do much that is real on a Mac? Can you do virtual computing work on a Macintosh? What robot software is made for OS X?

Would you buy products from a robot company that lies? Apple says that "Vista runs faster on a Mac", if they *did* test this, what do you think they they did it on? I'd say it's a Mac Pro running tons of ram and four cores vs. a non-name Wal Mart computer running like 512 mb of ram and less then an AMD processor.

Have you ever created a program for a Macintosh? I have NOT!

I'm running a Hackintosh (OS X Tiger) with 512 mb of ram, it is slow... On the same computer I'm running Windows XP, and Linux there both fast.

OS X will not run on non-Apple hardware, Windows will.

Apple recently sent a little girl crying to her room after she sent in an idea for words on the screen for songs on the ipod (if you did not read this they said never to send anymore letters to them again with ideas). Why did Jonathan Ive say they get ideas from costomers? Was it a lie?

Apple has said that PowerPC processors are better then Intel processors, why did they change over to Intel Processors in 2006 (I think it was 2006...)?

A friend of mine has Microsoft Windows Vista on a computer with 512 mb of ram, it works fine, not much slower over XP! I challenge ANYONE to run XP on a computer made for Windows 95, do you expect that to work? I say Apple says these lies about Vista that ARE NOT true, not the people who use these Vista computers.

Apple says that there are no viruses for Mac, why do they use anti-virus software on the .mac site?

What OS are you most "free" with? Macintosh, or Windows?

--Scotty

srobot
03-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Oh god, I just realised I've turned into this guy:

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/images/forums/duty_calls.png

Curses.

That looks like me... I'm typing this when it's time for food... I love food... scary...

Dave
03-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Wow...

srobot
03-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Wow...

Wow to my 2nd post, or my third?

--Scotty

BTW - This looks a little more like me...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3106/2311137262_796e5c0337.jpg?v=0

archcvd
03-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Hey now Scotty... Your arguments are not very sound. Before I jump on this let me clarify what my computing situation is like. I have both PCs and Macs and I use both extensively for their respective purposes. I stick XP due to the problems I've had with Vista and I use 10.5 on my Macs (and the PC!). Personally I enjoy my experience on the Mac more. Slick interface, robust OS, and functionality that "just works".

I'm not telling what OS to use, but can you do much that is real on a Mac? Can you do virtual computing work on a Macintosh? What robot software is made for OS X?

You can definitely do a lot of "real" work on a Mac so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. Sure there are some things that you can't do under the OS but then you can just boot into Windows and do it from there no problem. Right? I myself do virtual computing work all the time on my Mac as there are boatloads of VNC applications for OS X so I don't know where you're going with that either. Sure there are a lot of robot programs only programmed for Windows, but you have to understand how many Windows users there are out there compared to Mac users. If there is a program that will only run on Windows you can easily run it within Mac OS X using parallels.

Did you take a look at the wonderful Gepetto project here on TrossenRobotics? He's made a very capable robot using these puny Mac computers!

Would you buy products from a robot company that lies? Apple says that "Vista runs faster on a Mac", if they *did* test this, what do you think they they did it on? I'd say it's a Mac Pro running tons of ram and four cores vs. a non-name Wal Mart computer running like 512 mb of ram and less then an AMD processor.

Vista faster on a mac: You're right, and it was indeed tested on a Mac Pro. However I have to point something out; Apple doesn't really use this as an argument and neither does an informed user. It is like comparing apples to oranges so the point is fairly moot. And when you say Apple is a company that lies... Every company lies. It's called marketing.

Have you ever created a program for a Macintosh? I have NOT!

I don't really understand what you mean by this, but I assure you it's a pleasurable experience.

I'm running a Hackintosh (OS X Tiger) with 512 mb of ram, it is slow... On the same computer I'm running Windows XP, and Linux there both fast.

OS X will not run on non-Apple hardware, Windows will.

Again, you're comparing apples to oranges. Have you experienced Mac OS X on its native platform? You're basing your entire Mac OS X experience on your hackintosh which is kind of unfair because you say so yourself, "OS X will not run on non-Apple hardware". My own Hackintosh runs Mac OS 10.5 absolutely flawlessly and many people have managed to get their own running with 512 MB of RAM as well.

Apple recently sent a little girl crying to her room after she sent in an idea for words on the screen for songs on the ipod (if you did not read this they said never to send anymore letters to them again with ideas). Why did Jonathan Ive say they get ideas from costomers? Was it a lie?

Apple is a huge corporation with a nasty legal team so stuff like this is bound to happen. Would you still feel bad if the same letter was sent to a 33 year old guy who sent in the same suggestions? Probably not, right? I agree it was completely uncalled for, but honestly how does this have any affect on how good their product is? BTW they've apologized to that little girl, heheh.

Apple has said that PowerPC processors are better then Intel processors, why did they change over to Intel Processors in 2006 (I think it was 2006...)?

They announced it in 2005 but you're right the new Intel products started rolling in in 2006. Back in the day PowerPC was a great processor, but Apple was getting disappointed with what IBM was doing for it and saw how great the Intel processor was going to be in the next few years so the switched over. How does this make a Mac any worse though?

A friend of mine has Microsoft Windows Vista on a computer with 512 mb of ram, it works fine, not much slower over XP! I challenge ANYONE to run XP on a computer made for Windows 95, do you expect that to work? I say Apple says these lies about Vista that ARE NOT true, not the people who use these Vista computers.

Unfortunately "friends" aren't a great source to cite for arguments. If we're going to go that route, I'm going to put my own two cents in: I've installed Vista on a machine with 512MB of RAM and it was absolutely sluggish. I don't understand how your challenge has to do with anything. For the record, you can run XP on some very low-end systems with a few tweaks, so yes I would expect that to work. Apple's "lies" about Vista are again, marketing. And some of them aren't even that far-fetched.

Apple says that there are no viruses for Mac, why do they use anti-virus software on the .mac site?

What OS are you most "free" with? Macintosh, or Windows?

Gonna call you out on that, .mac doesn't have any antivirus software so I would like to know where you got that information from. In any case Apple is definitely right with this one, there are practically no viruses or malware for the platform due to how its underlying structure is constructed. This doesn't mean that someone can't make one but statistically, it's kind of pointless to since the market-share for Macs is still very small.

I myself use Windows quite a bit and I have never had any malware whatsoever. So I think the important thing to point out is that Windows is definitely more likely to get infected because it actually *is* easier for average-joe to download and install that screensaver attachment.

I find myself feeling "free" for different reasons on both platforms, but I honestly enjoy the Mac OS X experience more.

Dave
03-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Well folks, it's been fun, we had some laughter and some tears, but I think it's time to shut the door on this one and move on to greener pastures. Thanks for the memories!

*closes thread*

Seriously, though. This is like one of those "never bring up religion or politics at the dinner table" type of things.