PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] TRC Chat Night

SN96
03-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Hello all,

I was not sure where to post this. I wanted to make sure that the largest possible amount of TRC members get a chance to provide their input, so I decided to post this right here.

Anyway, It would be nice to put the new chat room to use, and allow members to have a "hang out meeting place" to talk about anything and everything. Ideas could be disussed in real time, help with projects, seminars, etc...

I'm sure a lot of members work at all different times during the week so a poll is needed to try and figure out a time and day that will get the most users on at the same time.

So vote way!

Alex
03-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks for putting up this poll:D

The poll will stay in the left column I believe for 2 or 3 months so it'll get a lot of views. I also stuck this thread so that it stays at the top of this forum.

Tymtravler
03-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Ok I see Friday is running wild, This just shows we have no weekend night life other that talking to others about robots. COOL

Tymtravler

JonHylands
03-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Friday night definitely doesn't work for me - my "weekend night life" on Friday consists of pizza and a couple movies with the family.

- Jon

Dave
03-10-2008, 02:00 PM
My friday nights are off limits. I'm usually busy self-medicating with copious amounts of scotch to try and forget about the week I just spent dealing with all you jokers.

cmmguy
03-11-2008, 09:47 PM
My friday nights are off limits. I'm usually busy self-medicating with copious amounts of scotch to try and forget about the week I just spent dealing with all you jokers.

I am certainly glad that we would be worthy of a scotch instead of some mere lite beer...:veryhappy:

JimH
03-12-2008, 09:47 AM
This type of poll is always interesting. Friday night 9-10 is the highest with 7 votes. However, 27 other people do not want it at that time.

Perhaps 2 nights? Tuesday is coming in at second place for the moment.

SN96
03-12-2008, 11:20 AM
There is still a while left to vote. I see your point where if you add up all the other votes = more people not wanting Friday 9-10. At the end of the poll we can decide on the data which would be best for most people. It's impossible to make it work for everyone’s schedule / preferences, which is why we have the poll.

JonHylands
03-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Maybe after a couple weeks, we can take the top 3 spots, and do another poll with just them, to give the people who voted for other slots a chance to weigh in...

- Jon

SN96
03-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Maybe after a couple weeks, we can take the top 3 spots, and do another poll with just them, to give the people who voted for other slots a chance to weigh in...

- Jon

I completely agree but wasn't sure if anyone thought a second poll would be to much. I don’t think it's to much, I think it would be fair.

Alex
03-17-2008, 11:42 AM
For sure! I think we should leave this poll up for a couple more weeks, close the poll, then take the top 2-4 timeslots and create a new poll and vote. Thoughts?

cmmguy
03-17-2008, 11:48 AM
sure...

JimH
03-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Why not just schedule a few nights now and see what happens. Polls are great...but reality always wins! Obviously Friday night is the current favorite, so why not just do a chat then and pick one or two of the other days and give it a shot also? Then let participation decide.

I'd personally be willing to sit in chat for a couple of hours on either night to make sure any tentative visitors have someone to chat with (although I cannot guarantee engaging conversation!). I'm EST and would prefer times between 8-10 p.m., but will do what I can to help.

SN96
03-26-2008, 05:14 PM
8-9 Friday sounds good to me. I am game for any day of the week actually. Im home by 4:30pm every day. :veryhappy:

LinuxGuy
03-29-2008, 03:46 PM
The day and time don't matter at all to me.

8-Dale

Alex
04-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Just an update to everyone.

I'm working on a few last things with the TRC Chat. It works just fine, but as you may have noticed, the stats in the module in the left column only show up on the homepage. As soon as I get these stats working on all pages, the TR Team will be putting out an official announcement of the TRC Chat (with the chat nights listed) in our blog (http://blog.trossenrobotics.com/index.php)

It looks like Tuesday and Friday night are the best nights for everyone, at least to start off with. We only have the one general chatroom right now, but the chat software is totally flexible, so as more members start chatting, more rooms will be created:)

Adrenalynn
04-14-2008, 07:48 PM
I look forward to chatting 'bots with many of the members I've met here. There is a tremendous fount of knowledge floating around the ether of this site [I think I just slaughtered my metaphors.. I need a nap...]!

4mem8
04-27-2008, 02:33 AM
M'mmmm Any of those times for me would be out due to the time difference here in NZ Like we are 17hrs in front of you guys, So that would put me in the 1am-4am in the morning bracket [Damn]

LinuxGuy
04-27-2008, 03:14 AM
The chat won't work for me in Linux, and the text is way too small for me to read for too long when I am in Windows. :sad: I guess I won't be joining everyone for chat much.

8-Dale

Alex
04-27-2008, 10:31 AM
The chat won't work for me in Linux, and the text is way too small for me to read for too long when I am in Windows. :sad: I guess I won't be joining everyone for chat much.

grrr... that sux! It should work. I'll have to look into this on Monday and get back to ya.

As far as diagnosis though:

Are you getting any type of error messages? What sort of stuff do you see when you try to load up the chat? Could you take some screenshots for me and email them to me?

4mem8
05-24-2008, 02:44 AM
Being in New Zealand it is difficult to chat at the right times in the U.S, but Friday night your time would be Saturday NZ so that would be fine with me.

Adrenalynn
05-24-2008, 11:55 AM
I check fairly regularly, and just about never see anyone logged on...

Alex
05-27-2008, 04:45 PM
I'd love to see the chatrooms take off (especially considering all the work it took to add it;)), but from what I can tell from what others have mentioned, a lot of members use the chat software that they are more familar with (AIM, Yahoo, etc.) instead of using the TRC Chat.

What are everyone's thoughts on the TRC chat rooms? Do you like it, hate it? Is there anything that you think needs to be added/improved or removed?

Wingzero01w
05-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Its basically the same as an aim chatroom, a little more advanced even. I would like to see more people on though.

JonHylands
05-27-2008, 04:50 PM
You need to pick a night and a time, and announce that morning that we're having a chat at that time. Make sure at least a couple of you guys from Trossen are in there while its on, and I guarantee you people will show up.

So, if you choose Friday night, every Friday morning, post a reminder message "Chat tonight, 9 - 10 pm" so everyone can see it.

- Jon

Adrenalynn
05-27-2008, 05:03 PM
A reminder message would rock! Even better would be a count-down timer.

Adrenalynn
05-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Can I put a vote in to move the "chat statistics" above the "chat now" picture?

On both my laptops and on my robotics machine I have fairly low-res monitors (1024x768 and 1280x1024), and I'm unable to see the number of people in the room without scrolling down. If I see someone in there, I'll most likely pop-in, but if I'm just quickly surfing the site (refresh-and-bolt is my usual MO), I won't scroll-down to see the numbers... At least until it takes off?

Donkey Shin!

metaform3d
05-27-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm not a huge chatter (I don't even *own* a cell phone), but I might like to join in if you would just PICK. A. DAY. AND. TIME.

Adrenalynn
05-27-2008, 08:27 PM
I don't even own a home phone... [I'm 110% cell phone] - so there!

metaform3d
05-27-2008, 08:54 PM
I've read that cell phones are replacing land lines even in first-world countries, so a lack of home phone is not unusual. I only have to look around during my commute to see that those of us without cell phones are in the minority.

Seriously though, I probably will be forced to get a cell phone soon. The last time I needed a ride from the train and the person who was going to pick me up was off by an hour was kind of a wake up call.

Adrenalynn
05-28-2008, 12:58 AM
Getting off in the weeds now, sorry!

I pay $40/mo flat-rate for cell. That's everything: text, web, voice, email, AIM, long distance, no roaming, all flat-rate... Hardly seems worth having a landline. There's just one number for people to reach me at. And with the bluetooth headset and voice recognition/voice-announce, I can keep right on doing whatever-else.

Anywho - chat - yes. Time.

Alex
05-28-2008, 10:04 AM
You need to pick a night and a time, and announce that morning that we're having a chat at that time. Make sure at least a couple of you guys from Trossen are in there while its on, and I guarantee you people will show up.

So, if you choose Friday night, every Friday morning, post a reminder message "Chat tonight, 9 - 10 pm" so everyone can see it.Awesome idea Jon! I was also thinking about having a topic for each chat night (maybe have a poll each week?). One that I'm very familiar with obviously is Phidgets, so maybe start off with Phidgets discussion? Thoughts?

EDIT:

Can I put a vote in to move the "chat statistics" above the "chat now" picture?

done:) I didn't really have any method to the madness (as far as layout) when I developed that module, just wanted something to display the stats.

JonHylands
05-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Awesome idea Jon! I was also thinking about having a topic for each chat night (maybe have a poll each week?). One that I'm very familiar with obviously is Phidgets, so maybe start off with Phidgets discussion? Thoughts?

I think for the first few weeks, you should just leave it free-form, because otherwise people who aren't interested in the chat topic might not bother to show up. Getting momentum on these things is really important if you want them to work...

- Jon

Adrenalynn
05-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Rock on, Alex, thanks!

Is that an IRC or some kinda open-system that can be polled?

I might need to build a robot to alert me when someone's in there. ;)

4mem8
05-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Hey Adrealynn, Thats a cool idea, a robot to alert you, I'm in for that project!. The only problem with me is the time difference here in NZ about 15-17 hrs. Ahead of you guys, [Damn] But that's an advantage for me as Friday would be my Saturday.

Adrenalynn
05-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Just need some way of polling the chat stats that doesn't slaughter their server... Can the stats be exported to a text file or XML or something safely scrape-able, Alex? I would do a write-up on using the MakeController or Decimillia to activate a servo indicating how many people were online if there's a good way to scrape the stats.

Wait. That's another project. I'll help 4mem do it, how's that? ;)

Alex
05-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Is that an IRC or some kinda open-system that can be polled?

That's an awesome idea, but it sounds like it'll be very server intensive... There is a way to draw the data out of the system, but the system is very proprietary, so I don't know how much flexibility there is. Hell, I should just write some PHP script that checks the # of users and make that module "flash" when there are more than 0.

thoughts?

Adrenalynn
05-29-2008, 02:59 PM
I'd be happy to scrape something that you export over to my server farm and serve it up. If you know the number is >0 you should know what the number is, right? So just a text file some place that had [email protected] (4 users at 1:52pm on 5/28) in it. I could scrape that say every five minutes. That's 10 bytes every five minutes is 120 bytes/hr is ~2.5KB a day, is 90KB/mo. Heck, even if I scraped it once a minute that would only be 500KB-ish/mo. Once that data was exported, sky would be the limit. Autonotifications, hardware alerts, ambient devices, cell phone alerts, ... Woot! :)

Alex
06-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Yes yes, everyone, I know... "What happened to scheduling a night and sticking with it?"

Pleeeease forgive me, hehe:o

I've been totally swamped with getting everything ready for RoboGames. Tomorrow night I'm free, but I don't want to have just one night of RoboChat, then have to skip a Friday because of RoboGames the following Friday.

Once I get back from RoboGames, I'll focus on this more and we'll have some awesome RoboChats going down on Friday nights, I promise!

Ohhhh yeah:D:D

4mem8
06-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Can't wait to join in Alex.

LinuxGuy
06-05-2008, 02:57 PM
I don't even own a home phone... [I'm 110% cell phone] - so there!
Me too! Been so for years.

8-Dale

Alex
06-05-2008, 03:05 PM
same here:D

Adrenalynn
06-05-2008, 03:30 PM
It's a SkyNet thang...

Alex
06-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Hey Everyone!

You should be getting a Notice at the top of the forums, but I wanted to let everyone know that tonight, we're having our first TRC Chat Night:) I'm still totally swamped, but I wanted to uphold my promise and get this up and running like I said I was going to do after RoboGames.

So, get in there tonight from 9-10pm and start your robochat!!

LinuxGuy
06-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Hey Everyone!

You should be getting a Notice at the top of the forums, but I wanted to let everyone know that tonight, we're having our first TRC Chat Night:) I'm still totally swamped, but I wanted to uphold my promise and get this up and running like I said I was going to do after RoboGames.
I don't think the chat works for me when I am in Linux, which is most of the time.

8-Dale

Alex
06-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Can't you just run Windows in virtual?

LinuxGuy
06-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Can't you just run Windows in virtual?
No. I'd have to boot into Windows. I'm too bummed right now to participate anyway, so no loss there.

metaform3d
06-20-2008, 08:17 PM
I just realized that 9-10 central is way early in hot, sunny California. I can't make it -- I'll be at the pool.

Alex
06-20-2008, 08:23 PM
it looks like some people are already in there:)

Alex
06-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey Everyone,

Just a quick announcement. I can't seem to get the notices working to show up at the top of the forums for everyone (I'm wondering if it has something to do with me being on my friends Mac...). Anyways, tonight at 9pm CST, we're going to have another TRC Chat Night. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it tonight, but I hope that all of you can:)

scorch
06-29-2008, 09:57 AM
I think Friday is great because that is the one night during the week I am not working and I usually am not doing anything on friday at 9:00-10:00 p.m. I am hopeing that people will vote for friday.

Adrenalynn
06-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Hi Scorch, welcome to the TRC!

Friday has been on for the last couple weeks. Be sure to drop in next Friday!

4mem8
06-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Mental note to myself here, DON'T forget to tune in ON Saturday for your Fri night chat session, Keep forgetting the time difference of like 15-17 hrs here in NZ.

Alex
06-29-2008, 03:04 PM
For those that joined in, how did everything go on Friday?

DresnerRobotics
06-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Pretty good, Dave showed up so we tried to flick him as much crap as possible while he was there.

I suggested you guys build a mech for Mech Wars, could use a Pleo with missiles mounted on his back! :D

srobot
06-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Alex, what did I tell you about using Mac... The world would be a better place if no-one used them... Sigh.... :P

I'm computerist I know, I know...

LinuxGuy -

*I take it you know some stuff about Linux, but if this does not make sense feel free to ask questions.*

To virtually install Windows inside of Linux download VirtualBox from this website:

http://www.virtualbox.org

Install VirtualBox, start it up, click on "New", create a "thing" for Windows. Once you do that, open your CD-ROM drive, and stick in Windows. Click on the Windows "thing" in the VirtualBox window and click "Run". A screen will pop up asking for media to mount, select the drive which your Windows CD is in (this may be "D"). Follow the Windows install directions, once it is installed restart the virtual Windows, and in the future you can boot up Windows by clicking on the OS selector, and clicking on Run from within Linux.

If you have over 2 GB of RAM and a good computer, you may (just) be able to run Vista Virtually and use IE, but even at 4 GB of RAM on a good Dell computer (within Win XP) it runs SLOWLY. BTW - If you use Vista change the virtual wireless card to a intel.

I think this sums it up, but again if you have any questions let me know, or ask on the VirtualBox Forums.

--Scotty

Adrenalynn
06-30-2008, 11:37 AM
I think I'd want to run a flash debugger and figure out why it's not working. The ONE thing flash has going for it is its crossplatform-ness...

I can't reproduce on my end. Running it under RH Enterprise 4 works fine.

Alex
06-30-2008, 12:05 PM
I think I'd want to run a flash debugger and figure out why it's not working. LinuxGuy was able to get the chat software working on his machine (see this thread (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1930)).

Scotty - Thanks for the directions, but I believe Dale (LinuxGuy) already knows all about VM's. I believe you're missing the point though. He wanted to run the chat software on Linux, not a "virtual" Windows box. Either way, look at the thread I linked to above. He got it working on Linux.

LinuxGuy
06-30-2008, 07:14 PM
LinuxGuy was able to get the chat software working on his machine (see this thread (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1930)).

Scotty - Thanks for the directions, but I believe Dale (LinuxGuy) already knows all about VM's.
Yes, I know about them and have used them. I prefer to run software natively, even if it means booting to Windows sometimes. I don't have enough memory for a virtual setup right now, but shy away from those - it just adds one more layer that can break.

8-Dale

Alex
07-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Once again time for a TRC Chat night everyone! I'm finally "back" from all the craziness in my life and can relax and chat with all of you tonight from 9-10pm CST.

BUT, with all the massive posting that's been going on, I can see the chatroom being absolute chaos if we don't do a little cleaning up. So, I want to have a discussion on what chatrooms to add/remove in there.

Obviously a big one would be "Mech Wars", but... what others?

Open Discussion:)

JonHylands
07-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Unfortunately I'm in France right now, so that falls into the 4am-5am timeslot Saturday morning, which just isn't going to happen.

Catch you all next week...

DresnerRobotics
07-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Id say for now just keep it to one chatroom... it doesnt feel too chaotic to me.

Adrenalynn
07-11-2008, 02:22 PM
You could split-out the third catagory.

- Hardware and Electronics
- Software and Programming
- Design and Construction

I too am not sure it's entirely necessary. Except for Friday's - the place is a ghosttown. I went in there a couple days ago and I got mugged by a tumbleweed!

4mem8
07-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Ok guys I have to get this right Your 9pm slot Friday is my 2pm Sat right???????NZ time, I got to have a chat with you guys. Heh Heh.

milw
07-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Yup you got it 4mem8, i have you as being +17 hours from Central Daylight Time. (I have 3:55 pm for me and 8:55 am Sat for you at the moment)

Adrenalynn
07-11-2008, 04:01 PM
NZST = UTC+12.
CST = UTC -6

Therefore, NZST = CST + 18

Of course, you're not on daylight savings there, right? I believe Alex meant CDT not CST.

It's 1600 on Friday CDT as I write this.
It's 0900 Saturday NZST as I write this.

Therefore, as expected, there is a 17hr time delta, NZST - 17 = CDT, or Forum Time.

milw
07-11-2008, 04:02 PM
yay I got it right, do I get a prize?! :)

Adrenalynn
07-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Sorry, Milw, I didn't mean to step on your toes there! I was writing my post as you were posting yours. Counting on my fingers forward, backwards, and sideways, juuust to make sure I didn't screw it up. :)

ScuD
07-11-2008, 04:50 PM
And you didn't use your toes?? for shame!

I don't think i'll be in, i'm at GMT+1 :)

4mem8
07-12-2008, 01:47 AM
Yeah, I managed to have a chat today with you guys, Not long enough of course me Wife wanted a few things done after I spent most of the morning building robots he he, so I had to cut it short. Oh well next time. Now I have the time right.

Adrenalynn
07-18-2008, 06:11 PM
It's chat night!

I was trying to figure out how to do one of those uber-cool gihugic announcements, but since time is scarce and all I've managed is the anemic little annoucement at the bottom of the forums - I'll bump this thread:

Late notice, but I'm just going to take it upon myself and remind everyone that it's Friday Night Chat on TRC! Coming up at 9pm CDT, 10pm EDT, 7pm PDT, or 2pm Saturday for our NZST friends!

DresnerRobotics
07-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Eww. It's not anemic. It's pink.

Adrenalynn
07-18-2008, 06:22 PM
It's MAGENTA.

4mem8
07-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Nice touch Adrenalynn, I will be there.

Adrenalynn
07-18-2008, 08:03 PM
"Will be"? It's 8PM CDT now. I think we must have made some kind of mistake in our calculations. I just copied and pasted last time. Oh - I think I pasted the wrong post. [blush]

Adrenalynn
07-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Oh crud. I completely botched it!!!

Sorry - the agreed time was 9PM CDT, which is 7PM my time. 2pm Sat your time. Gah! My bad. Messages edited!

rpedro
07-19-2008, 05:24 PM
just wanted to let you all know I really enjoyed the chat last night... met a lot of cool people... see you all next week!!!

Adrenalynn
08-01-2008, 06:04 PM
:Bump:
Coming up at 9pm CDT, 10pm EDT, 7pm PDT, or 2pm Saturday for our NZST friends!

rpedro
08-01-2008, 07:30 PM
I will be on tonight... Count on it...

Adrenalynn
08-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Coming up at 9pm CDT, 10pm EDT, 7pm PDT, or 2pm Saturday for our NZST friends and 3am for our friends in the BST!

4mem8
08-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the reminder.

Adrenalynn
08-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Hour and a half-ish. How's that for a reminder?

Think I'll try to get in a power-nap.

Adrenalynn
08-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Friday Night Chat on TRC!

Coming up at 9pm CDT, 10pm EDT, 7pm PDT, or 2pm Saturday for our NZST friends and 3am for our friends in the BST!

jes1510
08-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Well I am going to ask a completely silly question. I can gather from this thread that there is a chat client hosted by Trossen somewhere on the web site. I simply can't find it. The announcement at the top of the page here points me to this thread but it doesn't say where to actually go to participate in the chat. Uh help?

edit: NVM I found it. the left side of the page looks pretty cluttered and it is buried in there. *Slaps forehead*.

4mem8
08-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Slap it again from me He He, Hope you join in.

gimmelotsarobots
08-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Kickoff!:happy:

Maybe It's just to early.

Adrenalynn
08-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Chat Night Again!

4mem8
08-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks for that reminder Adrenalynn.

srobot
08-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Do you mean CST not CDT?

Adrenalynn
08-29-2008, 02:57 PM
We're still on Daylight Savings Time until November 2. So, no, I mean exactly what I wrote. Central Daylight Time rather than Central Standard Time. Or DST/CT if you prefer (Daylight Savings Time/Central Time)

Adrenalynn
08-29-2008, 03:03 PM
For your edification:

Central Time (http://wwp.central-standard-time.com/) - USA + Canada

Central Standard Time (http://wwp.central-standard-time.com/) (CST (http://wwp.central-standard-time.com/)) = GMT-6 (http://wwp.gmt-6.net/)
Central Daylight Time (CDT) = GMT-5 (http://wwp.gmt-5.com/)

Does Central Time observe Daylight Saving Time?

In most states in the USA and in most provinces in Canada, Daylight-Saving Time (DST) is observed. During DST CT (or CDT) is 5 hours behind Greenwich Mean Time (GMT-5).
After the Summer months Central Time is shifted back by 1 hour to US Central Standard Time (CST) or (GMT-6).

Source: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/central-time/

srobot
08-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Cool!

I love learning new stuff!

Any idea(s) as to why people call it CST even during the summer? lol

srobot
08-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Also, why does the poll then say "Best TRC chat Night? Time zone (CST)"?
Is the poll for chat time once daylight savings time is over?

Adrenalynn
08-29-2008, 07:21 PM
People do that because they don't know any better - just like you didn't. :) I'll edit the poll title though, thanks!

Adrenalynn
09-12-2008, 05:05 PM

Enusi Malik
10-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Usually I don't have anything planned for the evenings, all I have are phone conferences I just ignore them anyways, but I'm pretty much for anything that's decided. This poll is a good idea.

Adrenalynn
10-01-2008, 08:08 PM
We regularly have our chats on Friday Evening/Night in the US. What time zone are you in?

Enusi Malik
10-02-2008, 02:44 PM
We regularly have our chats on Friday Evening/Night in the US. What time zone are you in?

I'm in EDT (Toronto, ON), what time are the chats currently???

Adrenalynn
10-02-2008, 03:48 PM
^-- Points to the post right above your first in the thread, just a few posts back. :)

Enusi Malik
10-02-2008, 04:53 PM
cool cool thanx

Adrenalynn
10-03-2008, 06:36 PM

Coming up at 9pm CDT, 10pm EDT, 7pm PDT, or 1pm Saturday for our NZDT friends and 3am for our friends in the BST!
[/quote]

DresnerRobotics
10-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Why the /sigh?

Adrenalynn
10-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Left over from color changing titles... :tongue:

BMoscato
10-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Friday nights are usually good for me as I have no known social life as of late. Well, except for tonight to take the Harley out and meet up with some people. =)

DresnerRobotics
10-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Cmon guys! Get in here!

Adrenalynn
11-07-2008, 01:32 PM

Coming up at 9pm CST, 10pm EST, 7pm PST, or 4pm Saturday for our NZDT friends and 3am GMT

LinuxGuy
11-24-2008, 12:26 AM
I did a quick test of the TRC chat, and I can get in and I can get sound from it, so that's pretty cool. :) I am running Kubuntu 8.10 Linux now, which seems to be pretty multimedia savvy. I am even getting sound from YouTube videos now!

8-Dale

Obscene
11-26-2008, 10:44 AM
I'd love to get in on TRC Chat, even if only to learn, but Friday is definitely not a good night for me. I'm down with the whole "heavily medicated" bit. But who knows, maybe I'll show up drunk and crash the party?

4mem8
11-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Nice, Linuxguy, We will see you around then.

sunithaya
12-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Ok I see Friday is running wild, This just shows we have no weekend night life other that talking to others about robots. COOL

Tymtravler

At least for now we will be talking to others about robots instead of talking to robots! :veryhappy:
I don't think they would go for scotch anyway, although they do make good bartenders. If we could only bribe them (I mean tip them) to throw in an extra shot...:rolleyes:

About the time, I find it very US centric (with good reason since it originates here) but don't you think that there could be at least two chats set up at very different times so our mates down under, our Korean friends and others can have a chat hour as well? that way those of us who cannot sleep can pick it up from there ;) (Oh, I just saw Adrenalynn's post about different chats, cool)

And one more thing, what would be the problem with extending the chat to two hours? seems like there are enough members and that means the time will fly. Also there is more flexibility to come home from a movie or such. Just an idea

Adrenalynn
12-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Actually, I think you're mistaken. I've always found the chats to be about evenly distributed between US and non-US. In fact, it's much more convenient from countries outside the US.

Those aren't different chats, those are different time-zones, same chat. As you can see - 2pm on a Saturday sounds more inviting than 9pm Fri in the US - and yet it's the same time.

4mem8
12-08-2008, 01:34 AM
I tend to agree with you Adrenalynn, We are a mixed bunch, And the time here in NZ is about 3pm Saturday afternoon 9 pm your Friday.

Alex
12-08-2008, 08:27 AM
About the time, I find it very US centric (with good reason since it originates here) but don't you think that there could be at least two chats set up at very different times so our mates down under, our Korean friends and others can have a chat hour as well? that way those of us who cannot sleep can pick it up from there ;) (Oh, I just saw Adrenalynn's post about different chats, cool)

And one more thing, what would be the problem with extending the chat to two hours? seems like there are enough members and that means the time will fly. Also there is more flexibility to come home from a movie or such. Just an idea

Good points Sunithaya! Just for clarification though, anyone can chat at any time they like. The chatrooms are running 24/7. TRC Chat Night is basically just a scheduled weekly time (but not intended to be the only time) to bring the community together and chat in real time:) If you have suggestions for additional times for everyone on your side of the world, we're all ears:D In regards to the time extension, I don't see a problem with that at all. Actually, a lot of members tend to hang out in the chat rooms for around two hours.

Adrenalynn
12-12-2008, 01:00 PM

Coming up at 9pm CST, 10pm EST, 7pm PST, or 4pm Saturday for our NZDT friends and 3am GMT.

Adrenalynn
04-10-2009, 12:17 PM

Coming up at 9pm CDT, 10pm EDT, 7pm PDT, or 3pm Saturday for our NZST friends and 1am GMT