PDA

View Full Version : SSC-32 and Sabertooth 2x5

ZeeGee
03-10-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm using SSC-32 to control two DC motors via Sabertooth 2x5, however I'm seeing some strange "deadzone" beahvior on S2 (channel 2). Basically I can do full forward and backward on S1, but with S2, the motor will halt if the pulse width is less/greater than certain value.

The Sabertooth 2x5 is in R/C mode, DIP setting is DUUDDU (D=down, U=up). I've tried using other servo channel to send pulse, or swap motors, or swap joystick input channel, but the isse seems to be fixed with S2 of Sabertooth.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Appreciate your input :happy:

Dave
03-12-2008, 11:33 AM
It sounds like you may have a defective Sabertooth. The problem you described has come up a few times recently. I could be wrong though, so let's try a few things before we have you send it back.

What motors are you using? What voltage are you running them at?

If you're testing input channel 2, always make sure that there is also a signal going into signal input 1. S2 will only be activated if S1 is also in use.

Try setting the DIP switches to "off, on, on, off, on, off." That switches off the auto calibration function.[/quote]

DresnerRobotics
03-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Have to agree with Dave here, I believe you have the same DIP settings as I do, and mine does not have the issues you described.

Dave
03-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Have to agree with Dave here, I believe you have the same DIP settings as I do, and mine does not have the issues you described.

Are you using the regular (non R/C) sabertooth 2x5?

DresnerRobotics
03-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Are you using the regular (non R/C) sabertooth 2x5?

Oops... No, I think I'm using the R/C version. "Sabertooth 2X5 R/C Regenerative Dual Channel Motor Controller"

Here are my DIP settings though:

1 Independent Control
2 Disable Exponential
3 Non-lithium mode
4 R/C Flip Mode
5 Enable Auto-Calibrate
6 Disable Timeout

I'm not sure what that translates to as far as DIP position (U/D) settings exactly, as my sabertooth is buried in my bot.

ZeeGee
03-13-2008, 02:16 AM
Thanks Dave & Tyberius. I actually figured out late yesterday: it's exactly the same as what Dave mentioned. Turning switch 6 to OFF (i.e. micro controller mode) will resolve the issue.

But I'm not sure why when switch 6 is ON, the problem is only with channel 2 though...

Dave
03-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Oops... No, I think I'm using the R/C version. "Sabertooth 2X5 R/C Regenerative Dual Channel Motor Controller"

Gotcha. I believe the DIP settings differ slightly between the R/C Sabertooth and the full version Sabertooth.

Thanks Dave & Tyberius. I actually figured out late yesterday: it's exactly the same as what Dave mentioned. Turning switch 6 to OFF (i.e. micro controller mode) will resolve the issue.

Glad to hear it!

But I'm not sure why when switch 6 is ON, the problem is only with channel 2 though...

OK, that I can't explain. We've been having some spooky problems with Sabertooth 2x5's lately though, so if it does anything flaky, let me know.