PDA

View Full Version : [Just For Fun] Bad Movie Physics: A Report Card

Matt
03-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Pretty funny

Link (http://io9.com/367792/bad-movie-physics-a-report-card)

http://io9.com/assets/resources/2008/03/badmovsci2.gif

archcvd
03-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Hahaha this is too good. They should also have one more column: Artificial gravity (without the use of centripetal force).

Droid Works
03-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Actualy faster than light speed travel is possible with a tachyon field. If a ship was surrounded by a tachyon field it would move threw space like a bubble in water but faster than light. The only problem is you would something the equivalent to the sun to power it...lol

jrowe47
03-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Funny stuff :veryhappy:

I just gotta comment on two things though...

It's possible to get power from nothing. The Casimir Effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect), if induced with materials that turned the attractive or repulsive force into electricity, or some other form of energy, could be used to create an energy source that would require no fuel nor maintenance.

Yes, it violates the known laws of physics. Sort of. It makes use of virtual particles, and the effect is so small, that except under very tightly controlled laboratory experiments, it doesn't affect the world as we know it. Unless we engineer a construct of some sort that utilizes the Effect.

You'd need two perfectly parallel plates the size of football fields, uniform in surface, with a perfect vacuum between them to generate enough electricity to light a 60W bulb. And they couldn't move, at all, so you'd need a really badass suspension system that accounted for traffic, normal earth motions, the tide pull from the moon, etc.

But hell, they've shown it works in the laboratory, the math backs it up... if it works in theory, it's just a matter of time before an engineer works out a solution.

Don't be too quick to knock off ideas that are nearly impossible, or currently totally impossible based on our understanding of the laws of physics.

As quantum mechanics has shown us, we don't nearly know enough to even know if we're scratching the surface of any sort of fundamental reality. The law of conservation of energy has clearly been violated by the Casimir effect. Everything follows logically until you get to the virtual particles. What are they? Where'd they come from? Why are they there? Where do they go? Do they 'go'? Are they?

So anyway, I have a beef with people who say FTL travel is impossible. Or artificial gravity. If you can tell me what gravity is, I might then listen to why you think it can't be artificially created. I'd love to know what gravity is, empirically.

Also, Jedis don't move faster than the speed of light. Their precognition allows their brain to sort out possible scenarios in which their motions will dodge the lasers, or bullets, or whatever. It's prediction and pre-emption, not reaction :) Granted, superhuman psychic powers are even more outlandish than a human moving faster than light, but c'mon. You gotta know a subject before you criticize it! Nerd up!