PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Sensors for non robotic application

hrosenthal
03-17-2008, 10:17 PM
I need to create a visual access system for a hearing impaired household. For example, when the doorbell or telephone rings, the system needs to flash lights throughout the house.

I am thinking of using the phidget voltage sensor to sense activity.

I am concerned that the length of the sensor wire from the voltage sensor to the interface may be too long to carry the signal.

Does anyone have any experience in this sort of thing? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

archcvd
03-18-2008, 12:16 AM
If you are worried about that you could always have long wires between the screw terminals of the Phidget Voltage Sensor and the doorbell circuit itself. Otherwise I don't think you would have much trouble since you are only measuring a change in voltage and you don't necessarily require the exact voltage going through the closed doorbell circuit.

Does that kind of make sense? Your wires would have to be pretty darn long to create enough resistance to not read any voltage change at all :)

Matt
03-18-2008, 11:34 AM
This sounds like a fun project. My first thought is about the doorbell. You can buy a wireless doorbell system for that. The button is battery charged and wireless and the ringer is plugged in inside the house so you can locate that by your main system. I'm not sure what is inside the system, but there are probably a few ways to tap into it and use phidgets to discover the signal. We do sell a wireless remote starter (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/3257-Keychain-Remote-Control.aspx) that can also be used for this purpose. You would need to use the 8/8/8 (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5341-InterfaceKit-8-8-8.aspx) and also give a 12V power supply.

If all the wireless stuff is overkill you would have no trouble running two wires from the digital input on an 8/8/8 as far as you want to a button at the front door. When the button is pushed it closes the connection and fires an event.

For the controlling of lights around the house the Control Think (http://www.controlthink.com/zwavesdk.htm) home automation stuff is perfect.

All of this advice is assuming that you know how to do computer programming of course. Keep us updated on how it goes.

cmmguy
03-19-2008, 09:39 AM
This sounds simplistic, but X10 has products for doing this off the shelf... I know, I know... not as much fun.

LinuxGuy
03-21-2008, 01:47 AM
I need to create a visual access system for a hearing impaired household. For example, when the doorbell or telephone rings, the system needs to flash lights throughout the house.
I am already partially hearing impaired now, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. :sad::sad: My right ear is fine so far, but hearing in my left ear has been gradually getting worse since October of last year. :sad: I may eventually need something that can get my attention when various events happen, like somebody at my door, fire alarm, etc. Hopefully my right ear will remain OK though, but I seem to have lost my 3D positional hearing ability already. :sad:

8-Dale