PDA

View Full Version : PC Robots

Droid Works
03-23-2008, 06:28 PM
We should have a PC robotics section as it is becoming more and more popular. Anyways I am making my first attempt at a PC Robot Here is the parts list so far. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

E2E2 Robot parts List.

1 Trossin 1 base kit
2 Gel Cell (12V 7.2AH) Zeus batteries.3 if I use the Pico board instead of lap top.
1 TextLCD 20x2: Blue with 8/8/8 InterfaceKit
1 USB to IR Distance Sensor Robot Kit (4-30") - 8 sensors
1 .2 Inch FSR Kit
1 IR Reflective Sensor 5mm
1 Phigits Touch Sensor
2 Phigits Voltage Divider
4 Light Sensor
1 Moicrosoft VX-3000 web cam
2 Ping)) sensors
1 Pan and Tilt Kit with Servos
1 VIA ARTiGO Pico-ITX Builder Kit and Phylon 7" Wide-Screen VGA TFT Touchscreen Display
1 PicoPSU 60W Wide Input Range DC-DC Power Conver
1 SSC-32 controler
1 Mini atom bot board
3 paralax Boe Boards.
2 BaneBots Motor Controller (45A peak) 1 Phidget Encoder
1 Phidget Motion Sensor
6-10 servos
1 Microhone
1 Speaker
1 Boe-Bot CMUcam
1 TCS230-DB Color Sensor
1 spun aluminum dome
1 Custom body

This Is what I have so far and most likely will add more parts.

Software.

Roborealm for vision and tracking.
Ultra hal for voice communication.
The rest will be written in VB

I also added a PC robots section to my web page where I will make software downloads and info available.

archcvd
03-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Out of curiosity, are you going to be running all these batteries in parallel? If so, are you going to be recharging them individually or all at the same time?

Droid Works
03-24-2008, 01:26 AM
Out of curiosity, are you going to be running all these batteries in parallel? If so, are you going to be recharging them individually or all at the same time?

No, I will use 1 for the pico and touch screen, 1 for the motors and 1 for the electronics.

archcvd
03-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Ah okay. The reason I was asking was because I was considering using a few SLA batteries in parallel to provide for everything, however I ran into the problem of charging them all at the same time. I've been told it's possible if the batteries are identical in charge and life.

In any case I look forward to seeing your bot built! :D

DresnerRobotics
03-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Wow, thanks for the info on Ultra HAL, I already have a Cepstral Voice I can plug into it... and you can use the ALICE database for the brains instead. Holy crap, exactly what I have been looking for to give my J5 conversational AI.

Looking forward to seeing more of your project!

Droid Works
03-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Wow, thanks for the info on Ultra HAL, I already have a Cepstral Voice I can plug into it... and you can use the ALICE database for the brains instead. Holy crap, exactly what I have been looking for to give my J5 conversational AI.

Looking forward to seeing more of your project!

You can hack ultra hal also. Ulta hal can open programs like email, web browser and others, but you can hack it to give your bot voice commands.

Droid Works
03-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Ah okay. The reason I was asking was because I was considering using a few SLA batteries in parallel to provide for everything, however I ran into the problem of charging them all at the same time. I've been told it's possible if the batteries are identical in charge and life.

In any case I look forward to seeing your bot built! :D

That is true, you can charge them at the same time if they are the same. Thats why I went with this power source.

Alex
04-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Hey Droid,

Everything sounds pretty nailed down to me. The only thing I'd comment on is:

1 Sabertooth 2x10 DC motor controller

Sabertooths are nice controllers, but they've been having some problems (as I think we're discussing in another thread?).

This is more for others reading this thread: If you already have a Sabertooth and it's working fine for you cool, if not, then I'd suggest picking up a different controller.

But, I think you and Dave had already discussed this and found that you do have one that's defective?

Matt
04-23-2008, 10:21 PM
We should have a PC robotics section as it is becoming more and more popular.

I guess I kind of think of the entire TRC as a PC robotics section ;) (Not that we don't welcome all other breeds too, but it's the main focus here.)

4mem8
04-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Hey Matt, That project sounds awesome, Funny enough I bought quite a few phigits from you quite a while ago, 1 x 8/8/8, two 4 channel USB servo controllers and two four port USB controllers. Have not used them for a project yet, I have several pings and the whole range of GD2P IR sensors. Cool.

Droid Works
05-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Ok, the Parts are ordered and on the way so I will be starting construction soon. I will post pics as it is being built. Also It is going to have a awesome looking body thanks to darkback. He is building a custom body for it.

Droid Works
05-14-2008, 07:59 PM
I have started the build process and I will be posting some pics and maybe some video over the next couple days.

Alex
05-14-2008, 09:30 PM
document the tricky parts Eric! I'm pretty close to getting the tutorial section up and running and am going to need members to try it out with adding some fresh tutorials before we officially go "live" with it:)

Droid Works
05-15-2008, 01:38 AM
Sure no problem.

Droid Works
08-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Well I have added allot more to the parts list, but here is a pic of the frame. I am still working on allot of the programing and getting the voice commands worked out. I should have a video up soon.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/walice_drel/DSCI0047.jpg

4mem8
08-08-2008, 02:11 AM
Hey Droid works: This looks awesome, Love to see a video of it in action.

jes1510
08-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Nice looking machine! I love the Roomba in the background. It looks like it is cowering in fear!

sam
08-08-2008, 11:21 AM
That's a nice looking robot you've got!

the touch screen looks BIG!

I can't wait to see what it will be able to do.

Electricity
08-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Wow cool! Definitely need a video demonstration!

droidcommander
08-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Looking good Droid, can't wait for some videos

DroidCommander

Droid Works
08-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Slowly but surely getting there. I am still working on the AI. Once I get the AI finished I can install all the sensors and get it up and running.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/walice_drel/robot.jpg