PDA

View Full Version : Check out this Oscilloscope

Droid Works
03-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Only $149, cheapest I have seen.

Low Cost Oscilloscope (http://electronickits.com/start.php?BID=2399&AID=34644%22%20target=_top%3E)

archcvd
03-28-2008, 11:49 AM
That's a great find! If you don't mind paying a little more you could get a PC based oscilloscope too.

Droid Works
03-28-2008, 12:38 PM
That's a great find! If you don't mind paying a little more you could get a PC based oscilloscope too.

I'm not to fond of the PC Oscilloscopes. Its to easy to trash your computer. I ordered one of these and I should have it in a few days. I will let you know what I think when I get it.

archcvd
03-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Hmm, well say you had a USB PC Oscilloscope I think the worse you could do is destroy the unit and not the computer. I'm sure there are safeguards against probing something too hot and having it jump over the USB bus.

LinuxGuy
03-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm not to fond of the PC Oscilloscopes. Its to easy to trash your computer.
I think it would depend on which model of PC Oscilloscope you have/had. They are not all the same and usually have different software. I hope you are not generalizing based on a single bad experience.

8-Dale

Droid Works
03-28-2008, 12:57 PM
I had a paralax one and I accidentally cooked one of my USB ports. It was my own fault though, I wasn't paying close enough attention. Since then my preference has been a standard oscilloscope.

Adrenalynn
04-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Any reasonably designed PC O'Scope should be decoupled. In fact, it'd be really hard to design one that wasn't (for no return).

The inexpensive O'Scope you link to there is only a 10Mhz scope. That limits its usefulness to me down to a "toy" rating. Great if you're working on AM radios or restoring your 1Mhz Vic20. . . ;) Even trying to look at the clock on modern embedded hardware wouldn't give you much resolution with a 10x probe.

An 80-100Mhz PC-based scope (fully decoupled) can be had for a few hundred dollars. I found my Tek 7104 (1Ghz) scope used for under a thousand...

Droid Works
04-11-2008, 03:30 PM
I just use mine for basic hobby robotics projects so its fine for me. I cant complain for the price I paid. Work fine and I like the retro look.

LinuxGuy
04-11-2008, 07:09 PM
I had a paralax one and I accidentally cooked one of my USB ports. It was my own fault though, I wasn't paying close enough attention. Since then my preference has been a standard oscilloscope.
You shouldn't blame PC ocilloscopes then, if the problem was your fault. ;) It gives people exactly the wrong ideas about products they might potentialy be interested in.

8-Dale

Matt
04-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Be nice everyone, he was just stating a preference, not blaming products.

Droid Works
04-11-2008, 09:25 PM
You shouldn't blame PC ocilloscopes then, if the problem was your fault. ;) It gives people exactly the wrong ideas about products they might potentialy be interested in.

8-Dale
I didn't, Re read my statement I said it was MY fault. It is MY personal preference not to use them. For the record: There is nothing wrong with PC oscilloscopes they are great. Hope that clears things up for you :)