PDA

View Full Version : [Project] Wii nunchuck + Arduino controlling a Pan and Tilt Camera

Alex
04-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Ok, this is freakin cool!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD_-YnFZFP8

via (hack-a-day (http://www.hackaday.com/2008/04/06/wii-nunchuck-arduino-pan-and-tilt-camera/))

LinuxGuy
04-08-2008, 01:26 AM
Ok, this is freakin cool!!
Indeed it is! Imagine yourself with the device attached to the top of your head somehow, and a camera on the pan/tilt base.. How about a head tracking camera on a robot?? :happy: Muahahahahah!

8-Dale

darkback2
04-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Ok...so I owe alex an apology...I said that I would post this a few weeks ago, and then we had spring break...now its now.

http://myhitechlife.net/robotchoppers/wiimousectrl.zip

If you follow the link, you get a program that controls a phidget servo controller using the mouse.

Go to:
Http://onakasuita.org/wii/
and download wiinremote. This is a program that controls the mouse using the wii remote. If you map the trigger button to the h key, that will control the servo in the 0 position.

In anycase,

Better late than never.

DB

Alex
04-09-2008, 10:47 AM
thanks DB! No worries on the delay. Trust me, I can relate to things getting in the way;)

I'll check the program when I get some time freed up.

Adrenalynn
04-10-2008, 10:54 AM
This is encouraging and discouraging at the same time... Very similar to some thoughts I've had on controlling a multisegment arm. Encouraging in that he got it working. Discouraging when I think of the complexity of said project vs. his...

I think the ultimate goal from my perspective would be a glove with a 3 axis accelerometer above the wrist and a 2 axis accelerometer in the palm. Biowire in the fingers controls the gripper whilst simultaneously providing force-feedback and a sense of "touch".

I see a lot of embedded assembler in my future... Worse, I see a ton of HID driver glue and code coming at me... Toss in some non-linear programming for kinematics... It's going to be a long eight months... ;)

jyotirmoy
04-24-2008, 10:43 AM
i ll be so happy if you can describe the project where you are embedding a 3 axis accelerometer on the wrist and 2 axis accelerometer in the palm of a gloves to provide robotical applications

Adrenalynn
04-24-2008, 10:58 AM
It's not working out the way I'd hoped. The accelerometer is just the wrong toy for this application, I'm afraid...

It's only really useful for vibration, and rotation around a fixed point.

darkback2
04-24-2008, 08:13 PM
It's not working out the way I'd hoped. The accelerometer is just the wrong toy for this application, I'm afraid...

It's only really useful for vibration, and rotation around a fixed point.

Ok...so if that isn't the way, lets see what ideas people have for a way to actually do this. Perhaps you could go the way of the theramin...(well...not exactly) but you hopefully get my point. You could have some sort of sensor grid. Moving your hand around in the grid would generate coordinates which would then trigger arm movements.

or you could go with flex sensors embedded in a long sleeved glove. Motion of the arm would give data which could be used to trigger movement or a robotic arm.

you could even combine that with IR sensors in a shirt which would detect the hands distance from the body thus telling the robot arm where to go.

Also if you wanted to use the Wiimote, I'll try to post what I have and maybe a youtube video doing just that, but not using the accelerometer...that was just to difficult because it doesn't give any physical feedback, (on the PC that is, on the mac it is easier than pie) but instead using the wiimotes IR camera to determine the position of the wiimote.

You could also use a fixed wiimote, and move the IR sensor...though that seamed a bit harder.

DB

Adrenalynn
04-24-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm using the accelerometers from the Wiimote and the Nunchuk on the PC. I get physical feedback just fine. Do you need some help with it?

The Wiimote IS the IR sensor. It has IR-sensitive cameras. The bar is actually the transmitter, not the sensor.

darkback2
04-25-2008, 10:32 PM
sorry...Ok...so I'm not a "real coder"...I work almost exclusively in a program called MAX/MSP which is a graphic version of C...I think...though its changed as of late...because the new version runs on almost any system...(I obviously don't know how it works)

OK...so on a mac, I have access to the accellerometer data directly. The "object" gives a ton of information making everything cool.

On a PC...the object mentioned above does not work. So I have to use another program which controls my mouse. I then use a mouse object. The problem with using this program is that you can't really tell where you are starting with...as in the mouse does not center itself automatically so you have to "feel around" for the center. Not good when you are controlling a robot and can't see the computer screen...as in...no feedback.

If you wanted to be of immense help you could port the MAC object to PC...

Ok...thats asking a lot.

Adrenalynn
04-26-2008, 01:14 AM
It's an HID device. You can use it as a joystick, or a mouse. You can set whatever point you like as the "zero" point.

Have you looked into doing any scripting with GlovePIE?

darkback2
04-26-2008, 08:53 PM
chalk that up to lazyness. I just haven't had the time to use the MAX hi object to write a max patcher myself. I could...ok...I will...give me a few days.

DB

darkback2
04-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Ok...I knew there was a reason why I hadn't done this yet. The HI object in MAX only sees the bluetooth port, and not the wiimote connected to it. It is really annoying. I'll try to figure out what is wrong...

DB

Adrenalynn
04-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Can MAX see a joystick or a mouse?

If so, use GlovePie and ppjoy

darkback2
04-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Yes Max can, I'll have to check out this "glovepie" people keep mentioning. I'm currently using wiinRemote...http://www.wiili.org/wiimote. This basically turns the wiimote into a mouse controller. Its pretty cool because you can map the buttons to keyboard keys.

actually now that I think about it, that is perfect for this solution. I don't like using the mouse to control vivian (a rover robot posted under the gepetto project. Because you can't see the screen when you are controlling her, and due to its nature, you have no feeling as to where the mouse is on the screen. Because of this, you have a tendency to "drift" into command areas that you have set up.

Point is, the program I currently have would work just fine for controlling a gripper arm. I'll just have to finish it up so that other people can use it. I'll try to have it posted by the end of the week.

DB

Adrenalynn
04-29-2008, 10:06 AM
GlovePie can map anything to anything. It can map a ham sandwich to a mouse button. GlovePie is all that AND a bag of chips.