PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Who is going to be at Robogames?

Matt
04-11-2008, 07:10 PM
So who is going to be at Robogames (http://robogames.net/index.php)? We will be there :) The event sound really really exciting this year!

metaform3d
04-11-2008, 07:50 PM
I'll be competing in artbots - bartending, so I will definitely be there. Now I just have to finish the thing...

Droid Works
04-11-2008, 08:19 PM
See ya there:)

DresnerRobotics
04-11-2008, 09:46 PM
I'll be there :D

Semicton
04-12-2008, 09:46 PM
I hate living in Michigan, I would love to go see something like this but there is no way I could afford a plane ticket, hotel, car etc to see it. Nothing cool ever comes to Michigan. I was excited about this until I looked at the website and seen that it was about 2400 miles away lol :(

Alex
04-12-2008, 10:58 PM
tix aren't really all that bad right now, depending on the situation of course. I just got a combo pack from priceline that was around 600. It included airfare and hotel for 5 nights, staying 3 blocks away from where RoboGames is going to be held at for. I was shocked that I got as good as price as what I got.

Adrenalynn
04-12-2008, 11:11 PM
It's tempting, seems like I have something going on... I'm only a couple hour drive from there...

Wingzero01w
04-12-2008, 11:23 PM
I'd love to go to this, too bad im still a minor though so i cant travel and buy stuff on my own free will.

darkback2
04-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Well...I just bought a plane ticket, and registered vivian for artbots under painting...heh heh :veryhappy:

DB

Alex
04-19-2008, 05:50 PM
awesome db!!

BTW, if anyone was interested, me and my fiance are going to be staying in the Travelodge By The Bay (http://www.travelodge.com/Travelodge/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=09522&brandInfo=TL&cid=%EAid%21) just south of Ft. Mason (where RoboGames is at). It's only like three blocks south of Ft. Mason. We got a sweet package deal from priceline:D

crabfu
04-19-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm within driving distance, so I'll be there.... not sure if I'll be competing this time around, but always love checking out all of the eye candy & meet the people behind them :)

-Crabfu

DresnerRobotics
04-20-2008, 10:24 AM
There are enough TRC people going that I vote we should all go out for drinks one night :D

I will bring J5 with us too, hes a fun drunk

Alex
04-21-2008, 04:19 PM
There are enough TRC people going that I vote we should all go out for drinks one night I agree! Could anyone living near the area recommend some good bar & grills/restaurants close by Ft. Mason?

crabfu
04-21-2008, 07:48 PM
I agree! Could anyone that lives near the area, could you recommend some good pubs/restaurants close by Ft. Mason?

I don't know my way around the area all that well... but there is nothing around there within walking distance for food/drinks... not a short walk anyway :) There are lots of restaurants and pubs around tourist traps like pier 39 / fisherman's wharf, which is a short drive away. Give me your criteria and I'll ask some of my friends.... I don't drink so I don't know much about where the good pubs are :)

-Crabfu

metaform3d
04-21-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm an hour away so I don't know the area, although Google shows quite a few bars in walking distance. Pick a place and time and I'll try to be there!

As an aside, is anyone going to the Roboexotica(ish?) event May 10th at 111 Minna in SF?

Droid Works
04-22-2008, 03:54 AM
I am hoping to have this guy ready in time for the games, but I will be there either way:)

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/walice_drel/mecakong.jpg

Matt
04-22-2008, 12:10 PM
He looks upset.

Adrenalynn
04-22-2008, 01:32 PM
If you had Droid' frantically poking you repeatedly with a screw driver I bet you'd look upset too! :P

Droid Works
04-22-2008, 02:52 PM
If you had Droid' frantically poking you repeatedly with a screw driver I bet you'd look upset too! :P

He is only 1/2 way finished. I still have to add 2 more servos and finish his armor. So he is realy going to be upset, lots more poking with screwdrivers....lol

4mem8
04-27-2008, 02:39 AM
M'mmm once again this is out of my reach, Imagine the cost from NZ to Robogames, The mind boggles. But If anyone would like to purchase a couple of T shirts for me [There must be some of these for sale at a meeting like this] I can PayPal you the cost. Any takers?? Thanks

Alex
04-28-2008, 12:07 PM
So... Anyone have any ideas on where to go out for some food and drinks?

I'm not from the west coast, so anything with some nice fresh (and reasonably priced) seafood I'm totally game:D

DresnerRobotics
05-06-2008, 06:20 PM
I'll have to ask my bro, he lives around that area so I'm sure he knows of a couple good spots. If all else fails, I have a nose for finding a good pub, I'm sure we can get something worked out.

I'll be staying with family about 15 minutes from the event, so they might have some suggestions as well.

Droid Works
05-06-2008, 06:28 PM
I Wei lives an hour away from the robogames he may know a good place.

Adrenalynn
05-06-2008, 08:06 PM
The Orbit Room is where my friend and I used to hang-out and talk robotics, math, physics, ... So there's some history there. ;) It's within reasonable walking distance (by The City's standards) of there. Around a mile, at a guess, I'd need to Google Earth it to be sure...

[edit: About 2.5mi. Further than I remembered - but I walked everywhere there...]

crabfu
05-08-2008, 03:05 AM
I'm asking a friend who lives in the city, since I don't go there that often & don't drink.... in the mean time, good resource site here (http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/search?context=generic&query=pub&cslink=cs_topbar_search&searchOpt=cs). I did a search for pubs in the area. I assume that you guys want a pub sort of place? If not you can look around for restaurants etc. The neighborhood is "marina".

When I hear back from my friend, I'll let you know what he recommends :)

-Crabfu

Droid Works
05-08-2008, 06:21 AM
This is going to be allot of fun. We should make this an annual thing and do it every year.

crabfu
05-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Heard back from my friend... here is what he said regarding places:

I would suggest some places in the Marina. The Presidio is a short cab ride away:
Silver Clouds (they've got Karaoke there, too: http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/911178)
La Terrasse (I've not been here: https://www.laterrassepresidio.com/)
Presido Social Club (I've not been here: www.presidiosocialclub.com (http://www.presidiosocialclub.com/))

From what I could find for you on Yelp:
Circa
Horseshoe
Mauna Loa
Delaneys

Most of the places I know are in South of Market:
Thirsty Bear Brewing Company
21st Amendment <-- my favourite!
Kate O'Brians

So I've never been to any of these places.... and I don't think any of them is really walkable. Pier 39 / fisherman's worf: http://www.pier39.com/ is relatively close too, which is a big tourist trap, so lots of places there as well, if you guys want to go there and walk around and pick up souvenirs etc, I'm sure we can find a spot to hang out. Parking can be tricky in the city depending on where and what time, but we'll figure something out - cab or carpool, or get one of them combots to tow us around.

-Crabfu

metaform3d
05-09-2008, 03:10 PM
I asked a guy at work who used to live in SF. He also recommended The Silver Cloud as being fun because it has karaoke (although for me personally that's more of a net negative). That looks to be 7-8 blocks for Ft Mason, so it's probably walkable. From the reviews people seem to either love it or hate it.

He also suggested Tongue & Groove which is more like 10-12 blocks but still walkable if you haven't been on your feet all day. Don't know anything else about it.

metaform3d
05-09-2008, 03:19 PM
OK, now he's getting into it and sent me several more suggestions: Bus Stop, Bar None, and Blue Jeans Bar. These are all clustered together on Union St a straight 8-block shot down Laguna from Ft Mason. If we didn't like one we could move to another.

Adrenalynn
05-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Blue Jeans is pretty cool, as memory serves.

Droid Works
05-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Bots on a plane? With all the anti terror laws I am a little worried about bringing my bots on the plane. Not to mention how great the airlines are at losing baggage. It would suck to get to the games only to find the airport lost your bot or helled up by airport security for having a suitcase full of wires and gadgets...lol Anyway does anyone know if there is a way to ship your bots to robogames or some other place in san fran and pick them up when you arrive?

DresnerRobotics
05-12-2008, 03:49 PM
I thought about flying because it's a 12 hour drive for me.... but the thought of trying to bring my robot through airport security scares the hell out of me. I wouldn't trust it in 'checked luggage' so I'd have to bring it as a carry on... and who knows if they would even let me.

I just had flashes of me trying to explain that he is 'not just a machine, he is alive!' at the security check points, right before they drag him away for a cavity search. I felt poor Johnny wouldnt appreciate that too much, so he'll be riding shotgun with me on a roadtrip instead :D

Alex
05-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Bots on a plane

Sounds like the next movie starring good 'ol SLJ:D

Seriously though everyone... I'd send your bots via UPS or DHL with insurance. This is pretty much the safest way of going. Just send it ground and make sure you send it out in plenty of time. I wouldn't trust bringing bots through airport, but then again, I've never tried it...

Adrenalynn
05-12-2008, 08:45 PM
I had trouble getting a RAID array (2U rackmount) through carryon...

Droid Works
05-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Sounds like the next movie starring good 'ol SLJ:D

Seriously though everyone... I'd send your bots via UPS or DHL with insurance. This is pretty much the safest way of going. Just send it ground and make sure you send it out in plenty of time. I wouldn't trust bringing bots through airport, but then again, I've never tried it...

But where do I send them to? I don't know anyone in san fran.

Alex
05-12-2008, 08:51 PM
I'd contact Simone or David at RoboGames:

http://robogames.net/contact.php

Droid Works
05-20-2008, 09:52 AM
awesome db!!

BTW, if anyone was interested, me and my fiance are going to be staying in the Travelodge By The Bay (http://www.travelodge.com/Travelodge/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=09522&brandInfo=TL&cid=%EAid%21) just south of Ft. Mason (where RoboGames is at). It's only like three blocks south of Ft. Mason. We got a sweet package deal from priceline:D

Looks like we are going to be neighbors. I just reserved a room at the same hotel. Not to bad they said the hotel is only 3 blocks away so I dont need to rent a car:)

crabfu
05-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Just a heads up guys... SF is often cold, windy, and foggy. Bring something warm! Last year I loaned a sweatshirt and never got it back lol. It can get hot in the summer, but it's very unpredictable. You can always tell who the tourists are by what they wear.... t shirts and shorts pretty quickly turns into profit for the tourist traps selling cheap SF logo sweatshirts. Anyway, if you've never been to SF, be prepared just in case... it's not all boobwatch land around here :)

-Crabfu

DresnerRobotics
05-25-2008, 09:56 PM
If anyone does need transport around the area, I'm sure I can work something out as I'll be driving down there.

Since we're zeroing in on the event, lets get the TRC night out squared away. The location is still up in the air, but should we shoot for Saturday night after the event ends? Maybe everyone interested could meet up with Alex and I at the TRC booth. I can provide transport for 5 adults if we're feeling lazy.

Also- if you're planning on being there and are attending the TRC night out, shoot me a PM and I'll hand out my cellphone number for further coordination ;)

Alex
05-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up crabfu! I wasn't even thinking about the weather till you mentioned it;)

Since we're zeroing in on the event, lets get the TRC night out squared away. The location is still up in the air, but should we shoot for Saturday night after the event ends? Maybe everyone interested could meet up with Alex and I at the TRC booth. I can provide transport for 5 adults if we're feeling lazy.There are a couple of things that I wanted to talk about too (in addition to phone numbers) that aren't quite "public" stuff, so I'm thinking it might be best if I create a temporary private password protected chatroom. This way, we can all give out our numbers and discuss the other topics, without putting things out publicly. Plus, this is a quick and easy way for us to nail out the TRC Night Out:)

Thoughts? If this sounds like a good idea to everyone, lets get a time/day setup that everyone is available to discuss this. Since this is totally work related, I'm sure Matt wouldn't mind if I did this at work, hehe;), so I'm pretty much available at any time.

Alex
05-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Hey Everyone!

I'd like to get a headcount to see just how many people are planning on going to RoboGames, so I added a poll to this thread. Thanks for everyone's reply:D

Adrenalynn
05-28-2008, 11:43 AM
You missed a poll option: "Workin' on it" or "Tryin' my darndest"

DresnerRobotics
05-28-2008, 09:12 PM
You missed a poll option: "Workin' on it" or "Tryin' my darndest"

Not an option for a reason! :P

BauerMECH
05-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Oh, we'll be there.

This year is going to be nuts for humanoids! :veryhappy:

Just a heads up guys... SF is often cold, windy, and foggy. Bring something warm! Last year I loaned a sweatshirt and never got it back lol.

Crap! you called me out. Yeah, I was that freezing kid who "borrowed" the hoody. :rolleyes:

Alex
06-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Ok, hopefully this works for everyone, but Saturday is the "official" TRC Night Out;) Does meeting at the TR booth at the end of the event on Saturday work out for everyone?

Now, on to finalizing the place:

I've been doing quite a bit of reviewing for bar & grills and restaurants in the area these last couple hours.

Circa - Nice and close, great reviews, but a bit pricey & not many choices on menu.

21st amendment - sounds pretty cool, awesome brew selection, moderately priced menu, but it's a bit far from Ft. Mason (like 2 - 3mi) and has a smaller menu. Plus, their online menu says that they may charge an 18&#37; service charge for groups larger than 6... Is this in addition to tip?

Tounge & Groove - Sounded really freakin cool... but it's closed down:(

All the bars that meta mentioned sound really cool, but I'm looking for not only for some good drinks, but also somewhere that we can all sit down and have a bite to eat too.

I'm going to continue researching. I also had my dad ask his friend who's lived out in san francisco for the last 30+ years, so I'm sure he'll have some suggestions too.

LinuxGuy
06-03-2008, 09:46 PM
21st amendment - sounds pretty cool, awesome brew selection, moderately priced menu, but it's a bit far from Ft. Mason (like 2 - 3mi) and has a smaller menu. Plus, their online menu says that they may charge an 18% service charge for groups larger than 6... Is this in addition to tip?
I don't usually leave a tip at places that charge a service fee for larger groups. I don't agree with this sort of policy at all and believe it takes my choice away as to how I show my opinion of service I received. I am a good tipper to start with, so I am somewhat offended when a place forces me to pay a fee on top of meals and drinks.

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
06-03-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm with Dale. As far as I'm concerned, that is the gratuity. The exception is if they have two or more servers working "our" table equally and really well. (Not just bringing out the food and dropping it). If that's the case, an 18&#37; tip would be split down to 9%, for example, so I may leave another 4-7 points on the table to cover the difference. But that's hyper-dependant upon the service.

A tip greater than 20% generally trips an exception report in most establishments anyway. ;)

Alex
06-03-2008, 10:17 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking! I'm glad I'm not alone here.

I'm usually a great and reasonable tipper. I tip as I feel they deserve. If I get beyond awesome service, then I give 25&#37;. If they're anywhere between good and awesome, 20%. So so, 15%. If they totally suck and they should not have ever gotten hired to wait on tables (provided they are not just newbies, then I give 20% regardless), then they're lucky to even get a tip;)

Alex
06-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Man, I need to pay more attention to times, haha! I was just on RoboGames Event's page and noticed Saturday runs all the way till 10pm, awesome!! Late night robots:D

I think that kinda squashes the whole dinner after the event idea huh? Well.... I'd still like to find some place that has some decent appetizers though.

4mem8
06-04-2008, 01:36 AM
I'm sad,:sad: I will not be there I'm very depressed about this, I think New Zealand is a bit far for a night out!:wink:

Adrenalynn
06-04-2008, 02:03 AM
Come'on! Hop a plane! Take your bots out for a "walk"!

4mem8
06-04-2008, 05:38 AM
Ha ha ha, Nice one Adrenalynn, If only I could, I would. That's why I would like some of you to take some video of the games and send me a DVD of it, That would be like being there. Hint Hint.I would get to see what you lucky folk get up to at these games.

Droid Works
06-05-2008, 01:28 AM
I will be getting to the robogames 1 day late. My flight arrives in san fran at 10pm on the 13th so I will miss the first day. But I will be there for the other 2 days.

LinuxGuy
06-05-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm sad,:sad: I will not be there I'm very depressed about this, I think New Zealand is a bit far for a night out!:wink:
I know how you feel. I'm a lot closer, and I won't be able to go either. I'd love to meet the friends I have made here sometime. I've met Tyberius, since he is local and a member of PARTS, our robotics club. He's cool, and I get to see his Johnny 5 up close. :veryhappy:

8-Dale

RobotServicesGroup
06-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Anyone who can't afford the trip to RoboGames in California can try Robot Internet Fighting to feel like you are part of the action. While RoboGames is underway, we will be live and on-line Saturday, June 14th and Sunday, June 15th four hours each day.

Check out the details at www.RobotServicesGroup.com/Fighting.html (http://www.robotservicesgroup.com/Fighting.html)

4mem8
06-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Robotguy: Sorry to hear you are not going either to RG, Your lucky to have met Tyberius Roboguy, I have been talking to him quite a bit on AIM discussing His J5, He has been very helpful in acquiring Pico ITX parts for my J5. I will be getting my J5 next week, and I will be looking forward to this project. He is a really neat guy even though I have not met him personally, I would love to. Maybe we should set up a video link on AIM?.

LinuxGuy
06-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Maybe we should set up a video link on AIM?.
I have not had luck getting connected to AIM so far, from Linux. I'll see if I can get it working. I normally only use Yahoo or ICQ.

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
06-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Are you using gaim, or the genuine linux aim? They've opened the libs, you know...

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp

darkback2
06-06-2008, 12:09 PM
It would be cool if someone would have an internet controllable robot that people could log into and drive around robogames with. It seams fitting.

LinuxGuy
06-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Are you using gaim, or the genuine linux aim? They've opened the libs, you know...

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp
I'm using Kopete (KDE) for IM right now.

8-Dale

DresnerRobotics
06-06-2008, 12:11 PM
It would be cool if someone would have an internet controllable robot that people could log into and drive around robogames with. It seams fitting.

Depending on what we have available for wifi at robogames, I might be able to whip up a feed on J5 at the Trossen booth and have you guys logon and be able to look around. I don't think I'll have him driving around though, too fragile ;)

LinuxGuy
06-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Come'on! Hop a plane! Take your bots out for a "walk"!
I wish I could! I just can't afford transportation to and lodging for the whole event. :(

8-Dale

4mem8
06-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Hope you get it working Dale, Would be nice to have a chat.

4mem8
06-08-2008, 01:51 PM
It's Sad I know, but I cannot make it across that great distance between the U.S and New Zealand.

Droid Works
06-08-2008, 04:33 PM
I wish I could! I just can't afford transportation to and lodging for the whole event. :(

8-Dale

You can crash at my hotel if you can find a way there. My room has 2 beds, so if you can get there You have a place to stay.

LinuxGuy
06-08-2008, 04:35 PM
You can crash at my hotel if you can find a way there. My room has 2 beds, so if you can get there You have a place to stay.
Thanks for the offer, but I have no means to get there.

8-Dale

4mem8
06-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Hey guys, Have a great time at Robogames this weekend, I'll be thinking of you all.

Alex
06-11-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm going to try to take as many pictures and shoot as many videos as possible:) I'll upload all of the pix to the TRC Gallery when I get back for everyone to check out!

darkback2
06-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Two questions...

Anyone know if there is going to be wifi access at the venue? I know it isn't the same as being there, but a webcast/chat from the trossen booth would be really cool for those that cannot attend...

My vaio has a cellular modem...its wicked slow, but maybe audio?

DB

LinuxGuy
06-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Have fun everyone! Take lots of pictures and videos to bring back! :veryhappy::veryhappy:

8-Dale

BauerMECH
06-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Anyone know if there is going to be wifi access at the venue?

It is available through Fort Mason's own provider (Not RoboGames, so it's out of David's control). Its cost per day is a bit of a rip-off if you ask me, so bring your heavy pennies if you're looking to connect.

Adrenalynn
06-12-2008, 11:50 AM
I'll have my laptop with a 1mbit/sec nominal 3G connection if anyone wants to set something up. I'll only be there Saturday, though.

engineer
06-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Hi Guy's what a trip, sorry I'm so late posting had to get RN-! motivated, and since RN-! got the lt. wt. gold I must have doe something right. For those of you who don't know, robosavvy, robotdreams, and the robogames sites all have pics. and videos of the action. As for the N.Z. guy set a competition, and we'll see who shows up.