PDA

View Full Version : [Just For Fun] Lesson: Keep my references clean

Semicton
04-12-2008, 09:29 PM
WOW! I was hoping to spend most of my day working on my Phidgets control but I spent almost all day trying to figure out why my VS.NET 2008 IDE was crashing with out warning or messages.

I was certain it was something I was doing wrong in code, so i looked over everything half a billion times and started to get tunnel vision. I finally found that the error started to occur when I added a new public property to my control. Everything worked great if i deleted the property. If I added a new property to the control it would crash even when no forms were referencing the property. I created a read-only property and same thing. I created a property with no SET code and still same thing!. My IDE would not crash every time..... It would crash, allow me to re-load the solution and start a debug build one time, run every possible action and stop the debug build. But once I started a second debug build, it would crash immediately!

I was going crazy :eek:

Finally, I looked through my list of references and found 3 references to 3rd party .dlls that I was no longer using. Nothing in the solution was actually using the referernces. I deleted them. Problem solved.:rolleyes:

This is the strangest problem I've ever had. Once I deleted the references and it worked, I felt really stupid.

From now on, I will make sure I don't clutter up my references with 3rd party .dlls that interest me on impulse and play with them in my projects!

:robotsurprised:

Adrenalynn
04-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Ouch! [Comfort!]

I hate to say it, but I so don't like dynamic libraries for stability reasons - on any platform. Update some seemingly unrelated thing on some other hard drive in some other directory, and KABLOOIE! [sigh]

Nice work figuring it out!

Alex
04-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Wow! I hate to say it, but finally! I see someone else with this same thing happen to them:D

This happened to me a couple of years back and I was pulling my hair out for two days trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Finally, I found that I had a 3rd party library registered that physically no longer existed. The strange thing was that I uninstalled the application that was providing the library, but the company that built the installer program must have someone screwed up with their uninstaller.

Great work figuring it out indeed!

Semicton
04-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Ya bummer for sure! But I learned something from it lol. Alex, Man you have no idea how much it means to me to know you had the same problems in the past. For a couple of hours, I was thinking I was the only human on planet earth that could come up with this problem hehe. Adrenalynn, Where were you 10 hours ago hehehe. Good fun though, and thanks! :)

Adrenalynn
04-13-2008, 02:40 AM
Don't feel alone! You know how a programmer becomes a senior software engineer, right?

Take a pocket full of marbles. Every time you spend ten hours chasing down a stupid bug, you drop a marble in the garbage. When you've lost all your marbles - you're a senior software engineer... :D

Stupid registry conflicts, especially non-matching hives, are the ones that still get me. Never has a stupider notion than mickeysoft's registry hives been fostered upon mankind...