PDA

View Full Version : [Just For Fun] Site for Old School Robots

Alex
04-16-2008, 10:38 AM
I just found a kick ass site that I thought I'd share with the community. It has a sweet collection of old school robots from the 80's and 90's:

http://www.theoldrobots.com/

Adrenalynn
04-16-2008, 12:04 PM
WooHoo! The Armatron 2364 is represented.

You know, it was an amazing piece of engineering work. I tore my apart after about [cough] two days - and it had a single motor with a gearbox allowing for 5DOF + gripper [as memory serves].

Weak as a newborn kitten with all that gearing and a single little hobby motor, but still an insanely cool design.

Then you look at the DC-1 by Android - 200lbs with a Vic20 driving the darned thing, built in 9" television. That was the height of cool there!

DresnerRobotics
04-16-2008, 01:11 PM
I wanted a Hero or a Max Steele so bad when I was a kid lol

I recall having a few of those Tomy robots though

Adrenalynn
04-16-2008, 01:17 PM
The Hero was awesome in that it was a [near] totally open platform in a world of ego-maniacal twits that thought they would rule the world as long as no one else could build onto their code/hardware/system. The hero, obviously, prevailed along with its siblings-in-cause, and that's the reason we had a PC Revolution instead of a PC-Fizzle.

Other than Apple (which I really don't classify as a computer company anymore), are there any of the "completely closed platform, no go away" computer-co's left?

archcvd
04-22-2008, 01:30 PM
The Hero was awesome in that it was a [near] totally open platform in a world of ego-maniacal twits that thought they would rule the world as long as no one else could build onto their code/hardware/system. The hero, obviously, prevailed along with its siblings-in-cause, and that's the reason we had a PC Revolution instead of a PC-Fizzle.

Other than Apple (which I really don't classify as a computer company anymore), are there any of the "completely closed platform, no go away" computer-co's left?

NVIDIA is having a hard time releasing open-source versions of the video drivers despite much public outcry. Enterprising developers have already created their own (albeit limited) open source drivers for the video cards so it's only really a matter of time for someone to backwards engineer for any other closed platform (I love my jailbroken iPhone! hehe).

I think open-source will always leave a bad leftist-commie taste in corporations that embody the complete anti-thesis of the concept.

Edit:

Oh jeez, sorry for hijacking the thread!

Alex, I really enjoyed that website! I'm a big fan of the 80s robot esthetic... Great place for ideas!

Eric
04-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks Alex! That site gave me warm fuzzies from the days of Topo! Big hair and bigger robots. :veryhappy:

Droid Works
04-23-2008, 08:24 AM
I still have my hero-1 ...lol http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/walice_drel/other013.jpg

archcvd
04-23-2008, 09:31 AM
I still have my hero-1 ...lol http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/walice_drel/other013.jpg

:eek:

*gasp*

Would that happen to be a picture for... Oh I dunno... An auction somewhere?! :D

Droid Works
04-23-2008, 09:34 AM
It shouldn't be. I'm not selling it...lol

archcvd
04-23-2008, 09:36 AM
One can hope, haha. Yours looks to be in great condition!

Droid Works
04-23-2008, 09:37 AM
If the price was right I would consider it. I have 2 so I could live without 1..lol

Droid Works
04-23-2008, 09:47 AM
A blast from the past...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GQfJAm8tFc

Alex
04-23-2008, 12:22 PM
I still have my hero-1 ...lolNice Droid!

I still remember buggin my parents for one of these loong ago (early 80's?) but they gave me the typical parent reponse, "they're too expensive, here have a GiJoe". I replied with "yeah, but it can do this and that and ... wait... is that Duke with the new kung-fu action grip throwing arm?!? COOL!!!":D

tom_chang79
04-23-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm surprised to see Tekno the Robopuppy in there. I bought one of those back in 2003 and this was one of the most disappointing robots I've ever bought. The movement was just four legs sliding on the floor and I couldn't tell whether it was "learning" or not. All it was good for was to drain batteries...

I think the I-Cybie is a waaay better product, but again, it feels like a toy then a platform to develop on, luckily, by that time, companies like Wowee, Kondo Kagaku, and Lynxmotion came out, which really satisfied by robotics hunger...