PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Rendering Tools for our Robots

Matt
04-16-2008, 01:38 PM
As I mentioned in Sienna's naming convention thread, when programming kinematics for robotics one really needs to see the resulting output graphically to be able to test and develop. We used to build our own rendering tools in .NET using lines and circles on picture boxes which isn't a great solution.

Are there any good suggestions out there for tools, components, software that might be good for us as a community to use? I'm thinking of something that's not an environment, but rather a plug in or drag and drop type tool.

The ideal situation would be something cross platform compatible. If that's not possible suggestions for the .NET world would be helpful since many people are using that.

Adrenalynn
04-16-2008, 02:01 PM
It's exactly what you're NOT asking for, but how about the plugin architecture for Blender? It's pretty heavy, but the kinematics system is pretty good and it's open source freely extensible.

I'm still wondering why we don't see BVH -> sequencer/basic/microcode/whatever converters out there. Wouldn't it make sense to use modifiable motion-captured animations in this like bipeds? Why reinvent walk cycles when there's a trillion out there already?