PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get this 8/8/8 ?

Droid Works
04-16-2008, 03:14 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/walice_drel/888.jpg

Matt
04-16-2008, 03:49 PM
You can't, that's the old model with the hub.

Droid Works
04-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Why did they discontinue it?

Alex
04-16-2008, 06:31 PM
it was an extra cost (not to mention extra room taken up on the board) to add the hub and most customers didn't want it. I think the price dropped by like 15 or 20 bucks without the hub. It doesn't sound like much, but a lot of customers purchase 10+ IFK's at a time and having that extra hub is terribly inconvenient.

Droid Works
04-16-2008, 06:35 PM
I would love to have one of those. I think the hub would be very useful. I anyone has one drop me a line if you would like to sell it.

Adrenalynn
04-17-2008, 02:36 AM
You could slap a super tiny super cheap hub on there and your wiring would be less spaghetti for it.

I see 4pt USB2 hubs for <$10 all the time. 7-8pt hubs in the $15-20 range.

Some of the 4pt aren't much larger footprint than a postage stamp. I'm really fond of the Belkins (for a bit more money and a bit more footprint) because they use high quality connectors, offer regulated power delivery, and frequently have that nice brushed-metal appearance.

Your expandability will be far greater if you hub away from your Phidgets...

Alex
04-17-2008, 09:03 AM
If you're using a hub though, you have to make sure you're using an externally powered USB hub. If you try to use a hub powered directly through the USB port you risk damaging your ports, or worse yet, you're Phidgets.

There are some wicked awesome Wireless USB hubs out there now although I'm not sure if they're externally powered though... Dunno how else they'd be... through the air? I'm not getting into that discussion again;)

Droid Works
04-17-2008, 11:35 AM
I planed on using an external hub but it would have been nice to have it onboard.

Adrenalynn
04-17-2008, 12:30 PM
The Belkin's I've used (non-wireless) have really broad voltage regulators in them. The one I most recently tore apart is spec'd from 2.2v to 9.6v and puts out a regulated 5v.

Droid,

I understand where you're coming from. I think as your project grows, a 2pt hub that requires you not replace that hub-containing-core-component (or heaven forbid, blowing it up and not being able to find a replacement), you'll find that the distributed hub architecture is really handy and inexpensively expanded.

It also "future-proofs" you against things like the wireless hubs Alex mentions. Just forklift a few dollars in hub technology, and drop in whatever is new-and-cool-and-spifftactular. ;)

LinuxGuy
04-17-2008, 05:15 PM
You could slap a super tiny super cheap hub on there and your wiring would be less spaghetti for it.

I see 4pt USB2 hubs for <$10 all the time. 7-8pt hubs in the $15-20 range.
Just don't get a hub from Radio Shack! I just discovered all the problems I was having with my Hammer (http://http://www.tincantools.com/product.php?productid=16133&cat=0&page=1&featured) and WiFi were caused by a hub I bought at RS that has become flaky. :sad:

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
04-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Dale -

Dontcha know RadioShack is a cell-phone reseller now? Would you buy a hub from a cell-phone reseller? ;)

LinuxGuy
04-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Dale -

Dontcha know RadioShack is a cell-phone reseller now? Would you buy a hub from a cell-phone reseller? ;)
Yeah, R/S has really sold out. They even closed the store at my local mall, which now is really no big loss, but they carried the robots. I will just stick to Norvac Electronics (what R/S used to be and better) and mail order for stuff now.

8-Dale

DresnerRobotics
04-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Norvac tried to charge me $2.00 per unit on 1mm spaced female pins.... the US versions were $.06 per unit. I ended up only paying $.06 but it took like 10 minutes for them to figure out it was a mistake :p

Other than that, Norvac has always been cool and a great resource.

Adrenalynn
04-17-2008, 07:13 PM
We have Fry's Electronics here in California. A little pricey at times, but they have most of what I'm looking for. They even have a bunch of the Tamiya kits and replacement parts. Every now and then a cheap little motor and plastic gearbox is just what the doctor ordered. ;)

LinuxGuy
04-18-2008, 12:09 AM
We have Fry's Electronics here in California. A little pricey at times, but they have most of what I'm looking for. They even have a bunch of the Tamiya kits and replacement parts. Every now and then a cheap little motor and plastic gearbox is just what the doctor ordered. ;)
We have Frye's here also, but it's impossible for me to get there unless I have a ride. I am hoping our new MAX (light rail) line from Beaverton (where I live) to Wilsonville (where Frye's is) goes close enough so I can get there. I have an RSR (Really Small Robot) in the planning stages now, so good components I can fit into tight places are what I will require for that. W.A.L.T.E.R. needs a little buddy. :veryhappy::veryhappy:

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
04-18-2008, 01:11 AM
I was just looking at an old smoke detector laying on the floor and couldn't help thinking how much it looked like a micro-roomba.

Just food for thought... ;)

LinuxGuy
04-18-2008, 02:26 AM
I was just looking at an old smoke detector laying on the floor and couldn't help thinking how much it looked like a micro-roomba.

Just food for thought... ;)
It might be a candiate for an RSR. :veryhappy:

8-Dale