View Full Version : [Contest Entry] 3 legged swashbot

crabfu
04-17-2008, 08:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoICzQpVCeA
some pics here: http://www.crabfu.com/swashbot/

-Crabfu

Eric
04-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Absolutely brilliant! You’re right, the concept is simple, but the design is awesome!!! Beyond just the technical, you really kicked up up a notch with the presentation. The aesthetic design is amazing. It looks like something that you can sell right out of the box. A very cute robotic bug my daughter would love to own. Great work!

crabfu
04-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Absolutely brilliant! You’re right, the concept is simple, but the design is awesome!!! Beyond just the technical, you really kicked up up a notch with the presentation. The aesthetic design is amazing. It looks like something that you can sell right out of the box. A very cute robotic bug my daughter would love to own. Great work!

Thanks Eric,

Yeah it's simple, mostly because I lack the skills to pull off all of the stuff that you guys do... I just make do with what I know and have... this is the first time that I had a stupid idea, and was able build it without having to go out and search for the parts... had all of the r/c heli spares sitting here :) And yeah, aesthetics are very important to me, probably too much so. I had another servo for the head, so it would tilt, compensating the tilting of the body.... but it raised the head up way too high, and hated the "look", but it functioned well. I also tried to put a head lock gyro on it, but no where to put it where it wouldn't glitch from interference in the tight package.

Anyway thanks for the kind words.... it's nice to work on a simple project for a change :)

-Crabfu

Adrenalynn
04-17-2008, 11:03 PM
That is beautifully executed, and adorably cute! I love it! I love everything about it with one tiny niggily exception - if I'm not mistaken, you're using airband for a ground device. Very naughty. But I understand, and at the risk of losing my license, I forgive you. :)

That thing is just way too cute not to forgive anything of - I'd buy one today if you marketed them!

Can I vote you enter that in the contest? It's just way too pleasing not to be a contender.

crabfu
04-17-2008, 11:26 PM
That is beautifully executed, and adorably cute! I love it! I love everything about it with one tiny niggily exception - if I'm not mistaken, you're using airband for a ground device. Very naughty. But I understand, and at the risk of losing my license, I forgive you. :)

That thing is just way too cute not to forgive anything of - I'd buy one today if you marketed them!

Can I vote you enter that in the contest? It's just way too pleasing not to be a contender.

Thanks :) And it's spektrum 2.4ghz... although it is made for air, it is ground legal. Spektrum also makes other 2.4ghz tx/rx that are used for r/c car races, which uses the same technology but with just fewer channels.

-Crabfu

Adrenalynn
04-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Aha! I stand [sit] corrected.

2.4ghz is the catchall band. It's fair game!

Ok - so it IS perfect in every way!

[as I type this, I'm navigating the site with a Wiimote's accelerometers. One step closer to world domination. At which time, all your bugbots are belong to me :P]

crabfu
04-18-2008, 12:14 AM
A
[as I type this, I'm navigating the site with a Wiimote's accelerometers. One step closer to world domination. At which time, all your bugbots are belong to me :P]

Sorry, my steambots beat you to it a couple of years ago... http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/27/steam-powered-rc-vehicles-set-for-world-domination/

-Crabfu

Alex
04-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Way cool work Crabfu, congrats on this!

Yes, it is simple, but that's a very good thing. It shows all of us that it might do us some good to take a step back and rethink how we build robots sometimes. Robots don't have to be the overly complex things that they are to accomplish incredible things. Us engineers tend to have a common trait to "overthink" a problem:D Matt used to yell at me all the time for that!

aesthetics are very important to me, probably too much soI admire that quality! As I'm sure you can tell, this quality is a bit lacking in robotics, haha;)

BTW, I know you mentioned a lot of the details of your robot in your video, but do you mind putting them in this thread as well? It'll definitely help your score come July.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I got you entered in this contest!

crabfu
04-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks Alex!!!

And not sure what to mention about the swash, so I'll just list off parts you need here:

-4 micro servos. Standard size would be fine too, I just happen to have a lot of spare micros. It will be rather small and light, so you don't need anything fancy.

-lots of long servo horns. Each servo you buy will come with a lot of these... but you need the long ones. I think the long ones that I am using came from hs45HB's

-a r/c transmitter (tx) capable of eccpm, these are made for cp helicopters, and control 3 servos for the swash at 120 degrees. And as Adrenalynn pointed out already... to be ground legal it should be 2.4ghz. What I am using is a spektrum dx7, which I use for my steambots & helicopters :)

-rx that matches your tx. With 2.4ghz, only one tx can be bind to your rx :)

- one receiver pack - when you buy a radio system, it usually comes with one of these. It should be 4 aa cells to power servos... or equivalent rechargeable.

-servo tape, just tape on the servo to the pack

-helicopter ball links... I am using align trex 450 helicopter links, but just about any heli links will be fine. You can adjust the links to the correct length... trail and error until you get nice movement in the servo horns/legs.

-body... you can use whatever :) the head I am using one of those 50 cent capsule toy vending machine things... the wings are align trex heli tail blades. The body is from a canopy from some rc plane that I had forgotten where it came from :)

-led eyes are from micro heli as well... they have servo plugs and can be switched on and off via any channel- just set the end points on your tx to 100 or above.

That's about does it I think, pretty straight forward & simple. But feel free to ask questions if you guys are going to build one :) The hardest part is programing the tx, if you are a rc heli pilot it will all make sense to you - it literally acts like the swash of a cp heli. If you don't fly, it may be confusing, and the initial cost for the radio can be rather high :( The actual robot itself, minus the raido tx/rx, is cheap though, most expensive components are the micro servos, at 10-15 bucks a pop :)

-Crabfu

Zenta
04-18-2008, 01:40 PM
WOW! Incredible creative work you have accomplished.

Your swashbot are "simply" ingenious. Most impressive and very good presentation!
But would you mind posting some pictures too?

-Zenta

DresnerRobotics
04-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Really impressed with this, the movement is perfect, reminds me of one of those Pixar short films.

Well done!

crabfu
04-18-2008, 06:29 PM
WOW! Incredible creative work you have accomplished.

Your swashbot are "simply" ingenious. Most impressive and very good presentation!
But would you mind posting some pictures too?

-Zenta

Thanks :) pics were posted above, under the youtube vid... but here it is again :)

http://www.crabfu.com/swashbot/

-Crabfu

Semicton
04-18-2008, 06:41 PM
That's an awsome bot with alot of personality even with only a few servos!

crabfu
04-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks guys... coming from an animator/artist background, illusion of life is what I try to accomplish with everything that I make. Comments that are especially important to me are those describing these lifeless machines as having personalities.... it is means much more to me to have a kid smile and say they "he" is cute, then to have someone marvel over the tech or work behind it. This happened to be a very simple project, but achieved just about as much fulfillment for me as ones that took me months, lots of planning, building, and redesigning.

So thanks for the kind words guys :)

-Crabfu

crabfu
04-19-2008, 05:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjZpbMR7VhU

-Crabfu

LinuxGuy
04-20-2008, 11:16 AM
This last video reminds me of one I shot with my kitty and W.A.L.T.E.R. (when he was called Octabot) in an early development video. :happy:

8-Dale

Semicton
04-20-2008, 11:27 PM
what ever.

archcvd
04-20-2008, 11:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjZpbMR7VhU

-Crabfu

That is so ridiculously cute! I love it when he tries to nuzzle it, lol.

crabfu
04-21-2008, 02:45 AM
Crabfu.

Your 3 legged swashbot inspires me! Using simple 50 cent egg shells from toy machines for the head is great! I looked at your video several times. I almost laughed out loud when I noticed you were using a rubber servo mount for the foot on the back leg.

Your project gives me hope... I have been a little overwhelmed by the contest entries where people produce thier own parts with machines that I could never aford. Your controller is a bit expensive, but that's ok.

Sir, I hope you win this seasons contest. In my mind, you deserve it.

Cool... yeah the back leg needed some traction for walking, but the other legs needed to be sliding for turns. It does neither well lol. I had silicone tubing for the back leg at first, but realized the little servo mount had a tab on it, which made for slightly better grip.... just making use of stuff I had laying around :)

Yeah a good heli transmitter is not cheap... I fly r/c helis too, so already had the expensive parts... actually everything was made from stuff I had, first project that I didn't have to buy anything for :) Programing the transmitter can be a bit tricky if you are not a r/c heli pilot... so if anyone is gonna make one of these and need help with the transmitter settings, just let me know.

With the success of this lil guy, I decided to make a bigger version based off of the same principles. I've started building it... and got most of the hard parts worked out now, just need to finish up and somehow make it purdy. Will post when it's done :)

Thanks again guys for the kind words everyone!

-Crabfu

crabfu
04-21-2008, 02:54 AM
That is so ridiculously cute! I love it when he tries to nuzzle it, lol.

He was trying to eat the antenna.... funny thing is that the cat is really afraid of servo sounds... robots, helis, even scared of one of those tiny toy r/c 3" cars. For some reason he wasn't afraid of swashbot, so I took the opportunity and grabbed the video camera :)

-Crabfu

crabfu
04-21-2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBvJbRA7cvE

Update... I started building a bigger swashbot, with standard size servos & custom legs etc. I added 3 servos for the head... one for normal yaw, and 2 others to compensate the tilt of the swash/body via mixing aile with one, and elev with the other. It's subtle, but adds a bit of life to the head. Of course the head is just a servo box right now lol.... will be pulling my hair out next trying to figure out how to make it purdy :)

-Crabfu

Adrenalynn
04-21-2008, 09:51 PM
He's cool, but BugBot would eat his lunch... I still want one. Can I steal your linkage design from BugBot aka Swashbot-I?

crabfu
04-22-2008, 12:14 AM
He's cool, but BugBot would eat his lunch... I still want one. Can I steal your linkage design from BugBot aka Swashbot-I?

If you ask, it's not stealing is it? :) Feel free to reproduce or steal all or any part.... and let me know if you need help in anything.

-Crabfu

Adrenalynn
04-22-2008, 03:54 AM
It's a "respect" thing. Thank you - I appreciate it! I've got a bunch of extra servo horns, and the linkages from some RC car suspension systems, so I think I'll add it to my project list!

crabfu
04-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Another update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv2WclyNGtc

It now has 3 standard size servos for the legs, and 3 micros for the head, and added a 6v 1200 receiver pack. now with this combination, was able to get rid of the inchworm movements, so the body never touch the ground, in fact it can't :)

-Crabfu

LinuxGuy
04-24-2008, 12:30 AM
It now has 3 standard size servos for the legs, and 3 micros for the head, and added a 6v 1200 receiver pack. now with this combination, was able to get rid of the inchworm movements, so the body never touch the ground, in fact it can't
This bot is simply amazing! You and Sienna have proven that tri-pod bots can work quite well, when others elsewhere said it wouldn't work. Congratulations!

8-Dale

crabfu
04-24-2008, 01:37 AM
This bot is simply amazing! You and Sienna have proven that tri-pod bots can work quite well, when others elsewhere said it wouldn't work. Congratulations!

8-Dale

Thanks :) Unlike Seinna's tripod, I can't say that mine "works well" :)

But it's rather fun to build and control directly. It requires a bit of practice and coordination, if you fly r/c helis, it shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise I think there will be a bit of a learning curve on the controls... the second version does fall alot, since center of gravity is quite high (which is needed for the turning), and not being able to use the body for inchworm kind of locomotion. I'm still programing in the transmitter and learning how to make this little guy move well.... as well as experimenting with different surfaces and leg tip material... it needs to be grippy enough, but also smooth enough to be able to turn. Anyway thanks!

-Crabfu

Adrenalynn
04-24-2008, 01:45 AM
I still think you could sell these by the handfulls.

Alex
04-24-2008, 01:34 PM
man crabfu... you're creativity just astounds me! I just found myself staring away at that video almost hypnotized in sheer awe:D

I still think you could sell these by the handfulls.

fo sure!!

crabfu
04-24-2008, 11:54 PM
OK finished SwashBot2.... I went back to inchworm movements, as it was falling way too much, and not reliable enough when not using the body as support. Turning still works on the tips of the feet only, but walking in all directions are now back to placing the body down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DstI5eMKnQw

-Crabfu

metaform3d
04-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Thanks for explaining the origin of "swash." This is a fabulous toy -- I wish I had one!

Since you are a 3D animator you'll appreciate this. The artists working on Jurassic Park studied tons of slow-motion film of predators running after prey. Their main observation that was obvious from all the film was that even as a cat as flexible as a cheata ran at full speed, its head and eyes stayed perfectly level. And yet when they tried to apply that to running dinosaurs it looked too "fake."

I think it's the head compensation motions that makes your bot look so "alive."

crabfu
04-25-2008, 02:08 AM
Thanks for explaining the origin of "swash." This is a fabulous toy -- I wish I had one!

Since you are a 3D animator you'll appreciate this. The artists working on Jurassic Park studied tons of slow-motion film of predators running after prey. Their main observation that was obvious from all the film was that even as a cat as flexible as a cheata ran at full speed, its head and eyes stayed perfectly level. And yet when they tried to apply that to running dinosaurs it looked too "fake."

I think it's the head compensation motions that makes your bot look so "alive."

Thanks.... yeah after making the first vid, I realized that most people don't know what a swash is, so the best way is to show it. CP helicopters are really a mix of complex mechanical linkage, and elegant system of computer servo mixing :)

And about head.... yeah I've done a cheetah run cycle years ago, and when I had it perfectly still it did look fake :) Anyway the head compensation on the swashbot2 is subtle, but animation & illusion of life are all about these minute subtleties... It was very important to me to add 2 extra servos that barely rotate. When I mixed the servos in more, so that it was more obvious, it was cool but stood out too much.... in a good animation, you should never notice these subtle things, only animators can usually pick out what has been done. And with this swashbot, I'd assume that only you robot guys would noticed stuff like that :)

-Crabfu

Adrenalynn
04-25-2008, 02:24 AM
It's definitely the head motions that make it so expressive. Without that, its "gait" would look more "tragic" than "cute", imho. It's the head motion that *makes* these bots.

LinuxGuy
04-25-2008, 02:31 AM
It's definitely the head motions that make it so expressive. Without that, its "gait" would look more "tragic" than "cute", imho. It's the head motion that *makes* these bots.
W.A.L.T.E.R. has an arm. Does arm motion count? It has two sensors (and more will follow) and a gripper.

8-Dale

crabfu
05-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Yet another swashbot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4kk3lfoTuI

& pics http://www.crabfu.com/swashbot/

-Crabfu

Adrenalynn
05-15-2008, 12:53 AM
I still think I like BugBot best, but OH MY WORD what a stunning finished product this is!

Make Magazine pays good money for RTA kits like this, you know. They could expose this kit to thousands and thousands of hobbiest types with serious disposable income. If any kit deserves to be featured it's this one.

I can't get over what you've done with your plastic forming. Amazing fit-and-finish!

crabfu
05-15-2008, 01:00 AM
I still think I like BugBot best, but OH MY WORD what a stunning finished product this is!

Make Magazine pays good money for RTA kits like this, you know. They could expose this kit to thousands and thousands of hobbiest types with serious disposable income. If any kit deserves to be featured it's this one.

I can't get over what you've done with your plastic forming. Amazing fit-and-finish!

Thanks! yeah I was talking to make about steambots a while back. This would be a lot easier... if I knew more about making products, it would be a neat kit :)

Thanks for the comments about the body work... it's all done by hand with that shape lock stuff, so it's not as polished as I'd like. This stuff is like hot glue gun stuff, kind of hard to get detail, and can be challenging to work with at first... really need a mold or something, I wanted to do a lot more with it, but given the material this is about the best that I can manage. It looks nice in the pics, but is rather ghetto when you look at it up close lol.

-Crabfu

Adrenalynn
05-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Part of the attractiveness of something like this built into a kit is that it is raw and each one takes on a personality. Art mimics life. Crabs aren't all perfectly formed either. ;)

That said, you would need a mold to produce any real volume. But there are mold making products out there that are cheap and super easy. Your crab-bot is simple enough that you wouldn't need to injection-mold the plastics.

crabfu
05-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Crabs aren't all perfectly formed either. ;)

But they are perfectly designed... I'm a big sucker for crustaceans, insects, any arthropod really... anything with a carapace, perfect little armored little creatures. Nature always have the best designs that is hard to beat :)

-Crabfu

Adrenalynn
05-15-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm a gihugic fan of Arachnids. And I agree with your concept. But your designs are beautiful even if they have "beauty marks" in the "shells". Just like nature.

crabfu
05-15-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm a gihugic fan of Arachnids. And I agree with your concept. But your designs are beautiful even if they have "beauty marks" in the "shells". Just like nature.

beauty marks... lol I have a hole on the top shell, from running a hot battery right off the charger lol, it melted a small hole. Also areas around the servo are open like that because of the heat from the servos... these servos run hot, as I'm working them a lot, and shapelock melts pretty easily. So some of the beauty marks were not intentional, was thinking of adding a band aid on it, would be cute :)

-Crabfu

Adrenalynn
05-15-2008, 03:00 PM
You've seen a crab after a fight with an octopus, right?

crabfu
05-15-2008, 03:11 PM
You've seen a crab after a fight with an octopus, right?

yeah, and I love both, very tasty :)

-Crabfu

Adrenalynn
05-15-2008, 03:40 PM
^-Vegetarian, so not much experience there.

Point being that the hole in your shell could well be explained away. :D

crabfu
05-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Due to overwhelming response and requests from being on youtube featured videos.... I finally got around to doing a build video.

Part1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-W_1UgevvA

Part2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ctbn_KaHo

Part3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mknbwwLzFw

-Crabfu

4mem8
05-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Crabfu: Absolutely amazing video's, Such a simple device yet sophisticated, you have done an amazing job of swash bot, congrats on Youtube also.What gave you the idea of Swash bot? I hope you have this entered into the competition. Nice job.

crabfu
05-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Crabfu: Absolutely amazing video's, Such a simple device yet sophisticated, you have done an amazing job of swash bot, congrats on Youtube also.What gave you the idea of Swash bot? I hope you have this entered into the competition. Nice job.

Thanks! The idea.... well I fly r/c helis, one of my other money pit hobbies :) So got the idea while setting up the swash of a heli one day, the swash was organic in movement, and direct control is something that is missing in a lot of the r/c robots..... I love the complex motion of a humanoid robot, but you program it and then you hit a button and watch it performs a move. I hate that :) So I knew I wanted to do something with a the simple, yet complex system of a ccpm transmitter programing for something outside of a r/c heli. My first goal was just to have a robot thing, or kinetic art piece maybe, that uses the swash system of a heli, but didn't expect that it could perform any sort of locomotion. After playing around a bit with it, with spare parts I had laying around, I realized that it's possible to make it walk & turn.... not very well, but hey it working at all was a nice surprise for me!

Anyway, I don't know much about this robot nonsense, but what I am good at is coming up with ideas that is a bit outside of the box, the type of ideas that are so stupid that it doesn't occur to most people :) So I just make best use of what I have & know... which isn't much lol :)

-Crabfu

4mem8
05-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks, great response to my question, Hope you come up with more idea's like that. I to fly R/C but jets and conventional planes, nice to see a different take on R/C gear.

crabfu
05-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks, great response to my question, Hope you come up with more idea's like that. I to fly R/C but jets and conventional planes, nice to see a different take on R/C gear.

Jets.... Now that's about the only thing that is more of a money pit than helis, steam, and robots! lol :) So you probably have a tx that is ccpm already, and spare servos.... build a swashbot!

-Crabfu

4mem8
05-30-2008, 05:43 PM
I just might do that crabfu, But at present I am going to build a J5 like Tyberius, Nearly got all the parts.

jbod
06-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the how to CRABFU ... Hope my little guy does your design justice :)

I am still fine tuning his movement (Also think my rear servo is bad - used spare parts) ... I will post some better video when I fix the servo ... But this was a first crack at the mock up.

Thanks again for the How-To :)

YouTube - SWASH-BOT

Adrenalynn
06-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Awesome!

Of course, my mind immediately goes to how we can now get the electronics small enough to link these things together over the Internet... ;)

crabfu
06-04-2008, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the how to CRABFU ... Hope my little guy does your design justice :)

I am still fine tuning his movement (Also think my rear servo is bad - used spare parts) ... I will post some better video when I fix the servo ... But this was a first crack at the mock up.

Thanks again for the How-To :)

SWEEEEEEEEEET! Looks like the dark twin.... looks awesome!!!!! I'm glad the vid was clear enough for you to build one, was afraid that I didn't get into enough detail on some things, but looks like you've got it no problem! Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Crabfu

pladoh
06-05-2008, 11:07 PM
dood its that kid buggin you on youtube:tongue: about every single detail but some where along the way i drew a basic floor plan of this little dude and know im just improvising for what i dont have,
the best way to learn is to learn the hard way, but i am using completely different horns for the legs, this whole project has cost me $415!!! but i know that the transmitter did it and is re-usable which will definately give me more bang for my buck,
i will post my shoddy knock off wen im done!

crabfu
06-06-2008, 04:55 AM
dood its that kid buggin you on youtube:tongue: about every single detail

I can't tell you how many kids (and kids at heart) has been bugging me about every single little detail :) I thought making a build vid would answer the questions, but it only brought out more and more lol. Anyway, sorry to hear that you are learning the hard way.... I took for granted that not many people who want to build a swashbot, are into r/c and helicopters, so I may have barely covered some of the areas that would be hard for a non r/c heli person to grasp... sorry!

Anyway keep us posted, would love to see your progress, and try to help :)

-Crabfu

Alex
06-06-2008, 08:29 AM
hey pladoh (nice name btw:D), welcome to the TRC!

If you haven't read it already, crabfu put together a nice tutorial with all of his videos, plus a sweet parts list:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1832

That's a great area to ask questions about the build process of a Swashbot;) At least this way, we can get everyone in one spot asking questions and hopefully cut down on inevitable repeat questions.

LinuxGuy
06-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Awesome!

Of course, my mind immediately goes to how we can now get the electronics small enough to link these things together over the Internet... ;)
Awesome, indeed! There are some very small controllers available now. Remember, Hammer is a 40 pin DIP that runs full Linux.. :veryhappy: All the memory and flash is right on the module. New Micros (http://www.newmicros.com) also has some extremely small controllers in the Pluga and Tini series.

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
06-06-2008, 11:57 AM
We practically need servo control too, but it's only a few servos...

In a couple months, if I build one of these and come up with a plan for linking them together, will someone else play too?

LinuxGuy
06-06-2008, 12:07 PM
We practically need servo control too, but it's only a few servos...

In a couple months, if I build one of these and come up with a plan for linking them together, will someone else play too?
I would love too!

I think SwashBot is one of the coolest robots I have seen. I'll have to go back and look at all the stuff Crabfu has posted about SwashBot and see what I would need to build one. I have an almost 3 year old kitten named Doozi I would love to see interact with SwashBot. I hope SwashBot isn't too expensive to build, with exception of the body, which I would have trouble making. Small servo controllers seem to cost more than an SSC-32 though, which might be too large to put on a SwashBot unless it was made a bit larger.

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
06-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I would love to see a distributed swashbot AI, with some sensor package and the ability for them to share learned experiences about their environments.

LinuxGuy
06-06-2008, 12:27 PM
I would love to see a distributed swashbot AI, with some sensor package and the ability for them to share learned experiences about their environments.
W.A.L.T.E.R. will also be internet enabled. :veryhappy::veryhappy: I'm on a 6 MBit/768 KBit DSL connection. I also have my own server on 24/7. :happy:

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
06-06-2008, 12:33 PM
I have 19 servers in datacenters spread over a good chunk of the US, all on 34gbit/sec fabric - building a centralized brain is a doable thing. My patents are primarily in video compression optimization by employing neural networking. I've never tried AINN for robotics though.

crabfu
06-06-2008, 02:52 PM
ok this is where I am totally lost.... when you guys start talking shop about real robots :) Sounds like an awesome idea & project! But I'm not sure how to chime in on a foreign language lol

-Crabfu

LinuxGuy
06-06-2008, 03:07 PM
ok this is where I am totally lost.... when you guys start talking shop about real robots :) Sounds like an awesome idea & project! But I'm not sure how to chime in on a foreign language lol
To be on the internet, a SwashBot would need some sort of main controller that can handle WiFi. It could be something like a Hammer, which can run full Linux. I already have WiFi working on Hammer, but need to get a new WiFi router (next month, I hope, if all goes well this month). The new Hammer-RDP (Robotics Development Platform) that's being developed by TinCanTools, myself, and Sienna (she's doing all the real schematic and board design) might work real well for this sort of thing.

The main thing, is a having a processor that can handle TCP/IP (This is what the internet uses) networking. Many ARM7 processors and others can handle this, so it does not have to be ARM9 (Hammer and many others).

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
06-06-2008, 03:23 PM
I have an old Scenix development board here. TCP/IP, built-in web server, email server, PPP, and it has two serial interfaces. It COULD conceivably drive the servo controller over serial just streaming commands from the 'Net. And it's only 1.6"x2"

Adrenalynn
06-06-2008, 04:14 PM
How about using AX12's? You can control them from the serial bus, right? No servo controller needed, right? [I have zero experience, I'm just going from hear-say. That would save tremendous size-and-weight.

pladoh
06-06-2008, 08:52 PM
robotguy, the whole kit and kaboodle cost me around 420 bucks

pladoh
06-06-2008, 08:53 PM
but some will be recycled:veryhappy:

LinuxGuy
06-06-2008, 08:55 PM
robotguy, the whole kit and kaboodle cost me around 420 bucks
How can a SwashBot cost that much to build??

8-Dale

pladoh
06-06-2008, 08:56 PM
so far the only problems ive been having are with the tiny details like how to connect small holes on end of sero horn with the centre of another, stuff like that,
but nothing experience wont teach me!

pladoh
06-06-2008, 08:59 PM
it os that much due to me having to buy EVERYTHING from scratch,
transmitters, servos, horns, reciever, baterry pack,
the whole shabang but u probably have that stuff layin around,
it wud cost bout $50 for everything minus the trans, servos,and reciever,

Wingzero01w
06-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I thought the swashbot could be made up for $250 at max... It didn't seem like anything that used terribly expensive parts or many quantities of parts.

LinuxGuy
06-06-2008, 09:01 PM
it os that much due to me having to buy EVERYTHING from scratch,
transmitters, servos, horns, reciever, baterry pack,
the whole shabang but u probably have that stuff layin around,
it wud cost bout $50 for everything minus the trans, servos,and reciever,
I don't have any radio gear laying around, but I wouldn't be building an R/C SwashBot. :wink::wink:

Autonomous only for me! :veryhappy::veryhappy:

8-Dale

pladoh
06-06-2008, 09:01 PM
do u have transmitter, servos, and reciever?
then its cheap

Adrenalynn
06-06-2008, 09:02 PM
A Spectrum DX7 and receiver will setcha back $300+, Dale.

pladoh
06-06-2008, 09:02 PM
o i am r-c ing mine all out

Adrenalynn
06-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Nod, my interest would also be computer controlled - preferably wireless.

LinuxGuy
06-06-2008, 09:04 PM
A Spectrum DX7 and receiver will setcha back $300+, Dale.
That's why I won't be doing R/C. It's too expensive, but I can see where getting a good setup is worth the price if I wanted one.

8-Dale

pladoh
06-06-2008, 09:04 PM
is adrennalin a chick or a dude?

pladoh
06-06-2008, 09:05 PM
i have all the part websites, if you need any help locatin this stuff i have it all

LinuxGuy
is adrennalin a chick or a dude?
Adrenalynn is a WOMAN. :happy:

8-Dale

Wingzero01w
I'd control mine with a wiimote...

Adrenalynn
06-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Dale, you have to have a specialty programmable eecpm-type transmitter, as I understand it, to duplicate the programming Crabfu did, if you want to approximate his movements via RC

LinuxGuy
06-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Dale, you have to have a specialty programmable eecpm-type transmitter, as I understand it, to duplicate the programming Crabfu did, if you want to approximate his movements via RC
I don't want to do R/C though. I would want to build an autonomous SwashBot. :happy: CrabFu has done wonderful work on his SwashBots, but there is always room for others to do it their own way. :happy::happy:

8-Dale

pladoh
06-06-2008, 09:32 PM
how do you get a pic next to your name?

pladoh
06-06-2008, 09:38 PM
just to let every one know mine will look nothing like crabfus,same concept and desighn but a way more "boxy" look kinda like wall-E

LinuxGuy
06-06-2008, 09:50 PM
how do you get a pic next to your name?
You have to go to the User Control Panel and select an Avatar.

8-Dale

crabfu
06-07-2008, 01:51 AM
Yeah the transmitter is the main cost of a swashbot, it is sort of the brains of it all. Outside of the fancy helicopter transmitter & receiver, the parts are cheap. Servos are around 10-15 bucks a pop, links are I think around a few bucks, balls are around 10 I think, and battery packs are like 5 bucks etc. Anyway, you can bypass the ball links too, if you custom made the legs.... links are just what I had laying around as spares for my helicopters, and they are adjustable so it was easy for me to test and put together. Basically it's a simple parallel linkage, and the links can be replaced by just a plate.

So... yeah, I guess with what you guys are thinking of doing, it won't be using a heli transmitter, but AI, so just the 4 servos, legs, battery, as the main parts... then add your mumbo jumbo cool stuff to control the servos :) The cost should be low, for a robot anyway only carrying 4 servos.

-Crabfu

pladoh
06-07-2008, 04:49 PM
i know, the price was reduced to 375 for me,(thanks to crabfu!) but the cost for me make another would be like $75 the transmitter was expensive!

crabfu
06-07-2008, 05:38 PM
i know, the price was reduced to 375 for me,(thanks to crabfu!) but the cost for me make another would be like $75 the transmitter was expensive!

Yeah, but now you can fly helicopters :)

pladoh
06-07-2008, 08:49 PM
he he yeah

pladoh
06-07-2008, 08:52 PM
btw the balls were like 36 bucks thanks to those special kind of long ball thing

crabfu
06-07-2008, 11:21 PM
btw the balls were like 36 bucks thanks to those special kind of long ball thing

Yup there is only one of those in the heli, so each links pack only contains one. However, as I've mentioned to you, but figured it would be good to post here for others who my be interested... you can buy only one pack of the balls for the Align Trex 450, and cut a small piece of metal tubing to form the long ball links, and use long bolts for those. That way you just use the balls themselves, and the long part can be made with only one of the ball link packs :)

The good thing is, now you have lots of ball links to make something else with, they are useful for future projects :) or get a heli now that you have some spares lol.

-Crabfu

pladoh
06-08-2008, 11:04 AM
yeah,
my status on the project is that i have all the parts pin pointed and am going to order this tuesday,
i have all of the part websites filed for future references, if any one needs them, it saves a lot of work in searchin, but you guys already probably know where to get the stuff that he specifies,
but this project is great for beginners,. it isnt advanced but you learn basic rc servo control.

pladoh
06-08-2008, 11:10 PM
i went over to hobbytown USA today and figured out if there is a smart dude workin in the store the store has every part you need

crabfu
06-08-2008, 11:16 PM
i went over to hobbytown USA today and figured out if there is a smart dude workin in the store the store has every part you need

Cool, yeah Trex 450 SE is probably the most popular heli right now, so you can find the parts at just about any r/c hobby store :) The good thing about the hobby store is that you can look and compare sizes and such, making sure that things will work instead of ordering the wrong parts or something.

-Crabfu

4mem8
06-09-2008, 12:48 AM
Good to see that someone else is building your bot crabfu, really cool.

Matt
06-09-2008, 03:19 PM

This is so true, anytime I head over to home depot I find Bob. Bob knows everything in the store and helps me build my crazy projects. Bob rocks.

Adrenalynn
06-09-2008, 03:28 PM
You are so lucky!

I walk in and they say "can I help you?" and I reply "I doubt it".

I got into an argument with them about FishStix. They kept trying to send me down the street to the Big5 for a fishing pole. The next week I was in, they were back in stock, I took what I needed up to the customer service counter and they pretended not to remember me - the same three people I had a 15min long Monty-Python-esque discussion with...

pladoh
06-10-2008, 07:43 AM
yeah me and that dude disscuss robotics over the store line, we are both makin a swash now, when i asked him about the dx7 he pulls out his an shows me all the great features about it.
i learned a lot in those 7min.

pladoh
06-10-2008, 09:12 AM
i just sent this to some guy tryin to make a swashbot

here are some warnings, this whole project is about 405.50
if you get this http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM2710
it comes with most of the goods,
i can only help you on servo horns if you tell me what kind of servo you are using,
all the websites youll need for the parts bsides the stuff that comes with the transmitter are:
http://h1071013.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=AGNH1227
you will need 3 of those

http://h1071013.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=AGNH1126
1 of these
also you will need servo horns that fit your servos,
you can see in the video what type of horns youll need
im using the servos that come with the transmitter,
im using these horns,
http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3752
and you know the screw that links the horn thats mounted on the servo to the "leg" servo horn? you can use any nut and bolt that will fit
you can find ll of this stuff at hobby town usa i learned that this sunday,
any Qs just ask
-devin

jbod
06-11-2008, 10:50 AM
My SWASHBOT is for sell ... First one to respond gets the full setup $150 ... I have a new project to fund :)

pladoh
06-11-2008, 04:57 PM
transmitter and everything?

jbod
06-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Yes ... Everything ... Bot, TX, RX -

pladoh
06-12-2008, 02:14 PM
that makes no sense the trans' cost $350 alone

pladoh
06-12-2008, 02:14 PM
show me some pics

Matt
06-12-2008, 03:05 PM
"Please" might be nice Pladoh ;)

pladoh
06-12-2008, 03:31 PM
sorry! didnt try to be mean just wonderin how the heck he could do that!
the project is $400!!!
$180? thats a signifigant loss

Adrenalynn
06-12-2008, 07:50 PM
"Please" might be nice Pladoh ;)

Will someone replace my keyboard please ? There's soda all over it now. :mad: :p

crabfu
06-12-2008, 11:54 PM
I think your swashbots should duke it out, winner takes all. Please.

-Crabfu

pladoh
06-13-2008, 09:13 AM
that would be awesome!

pladoh
06-18-2008, 06:34 PM
im makin swashbot2

DresnerRobotics
06-18-2008, 07:49 PM
I sense some ADHD :p

Droid Works
08-03-2008, 04:21 PM
I just bought a remote system. Seeing all the cool stuff crabfu makes I couldn't resists. I have the shape lock and the r/c system time to make some stuff:) Thanks for the great tutorial and inspiration I-Wei !

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/3/6/4/4ex_01.jpg

crabfu
08-04-2008, 12:08 AM
I just bought a remote system. Seeing all the cool stuff crabfu makes I couldn't resists. I have the shape lock and the r/c system time to make some stuff:) Thanks for the great tutorial and inspiration I-Wei !

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/3/6/4/4ex_01.jpg

Cool!!! Well unfortunately I don't think that particular system will work for a swashbot... you'd need a ccpm system, one that works for a heli. BUT.... that 4 ch system will work just fine for a tortoise, the flapper fish, putter bot.... and a ton of other creative ways to use a few servos :) Cool thing about an r/c system hacked to make bots, is that there are no programing involved, just servo tape a bunch of servos together and see what happens... you'd be amazed how organic you can get things to move because stick movements are proportional, fast, and fun to learn how to control!

-Crabfu

4mem8
08-04-2008, 12:39 AM
I should have a go at this as I have several R/C sets from my R/C aircraft days, I have just given up Aircraft after 35yrs to concentrate on robotics.

crabfu
08-04-2008, 12:44 AM
I should have a go at this as I have several R/C sets from my R/C aircraft days, I have just given up Aircraft after 35yrs to concentrate on robotics.

There is nothing more fulfilling for me than combining hobbies, and I have too many of them lol :) Who says you need to do one or the other? If you combine enough stuff together, you can fool a lot of people thinking you've invented this stuff out of thin air lol :)

-Crabfu

4mem8
08-04-2008, 01:27 AM
That is true crabfu, But both R/c Gas turbines are very very expensive to maintain so concentrating on robotics is good for me after 35 yrs, Robotics is also expensive depending on what you build, So funds from my turbines are welcome in my robotics. But I know where you are coming from Crabfu.I also have other skills which I incorporate into robotics.

crabfu
08-04-2008, 02:28 AM
So funds from my turbines are welcome in my robotics.

build a turbine robot.... turbine robot.... turbine robot.......

smaller version of this http://www.suicidebots.com/2008/07/24/justin-greys-beautiful-disaster/

You must have a few spare turbines laying around, r/c gear... probably some treads as well... :)

-Crabfu

AMOS
08-04-2008, 03:26 AM
COol!!! I love it : ) ,, Simple is the best !!

Droid Works
08-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Cool!!! Well unfortunately I don't think that particular system will work for a swashbot... you'd need a ccpm system, one that works for a heli. BUT.... that 4 ch system will work just fine for a tortoise, the flapper fish, putter bot.... and a ton of other creative ways to use a few servos :) Cool thing about an r/c system hacked to make bots, is that there are no programing involved, just servo tape a bunch of servos together and see what happens... you'd be amazed how organic you can get things to move because stick movements are proportional, fast, and fun to learn how to control!

-Crabfu

I'm going to try and make a little 4 servo wall-e type guy out of it. Also can the trainer switch be used for anything other than trainer?

crabfu
08-04-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm going to try and make a little 4 servo wall-e type guy out of it. Also can the trainer switch be used for anything other than trainer?

Cool.... my putter bot would be a good base, if you hack a couple of servos to be continuous, it makes driving treads easier, and much cheaper, than using esc's and motors :)

I don't know about that particular radio, but usually trainer switch is only used for the trainer... for a good reason lol :)

Just let me know if I can help in anything!

I-Wei

Adrenalynn
08-04-2008, 12:59 PM
There are trainer -> serial interfaces out there for various radios that will allow your PC to drive the RF module through the trainer so you can control RC programmatically.

4mem8
08-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Droid works: If you need any help or info on Wall-E let me know.

Droid Works
08-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Thank you all, I will take a pic of the parts I have so far and make a post so we can make it a group project.

Droid Works
08-04-2008, 06:30 PM
I made a thread for it. Here is the link:
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2207

Droid Works
08-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Droid works: If you need any help or info on Wall-E let me know.
I have the same track as on your wall-e. How did you connect them to the motor?

Alex
08-10-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm curious crabfu... did your pageviews & visits go through the roof the past couple of days?

You got mentioned on Channel 9 at Microsoft on 8/8:

http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/Dan/This-Week-on-C9-Scott-Hanselman-and-Charlie-Eriksen-in-the-house/

starts at 5:02 (need silverlight installed)

Congrats man!! It was so awesome seeing this:D

crabfu
08-10-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm curious crabfu... did your pageviews & visits go through the roof the past couple of days?

You got mentioned on Channel 9 at Microsoft on 8/8:

http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/Dan/This-Week-on-C9-Scott-Hanselman-and-Charlie-Eriksen-in-the-house/

starts at 5:02 (need silverlight installed)

Congrats man!! It was so awesome seeing this:D

Whoa cool, thanks for letting me know! And as always an honor to hear talk about my stuff looking creepy :) Hmmmm hits are about normal, nothing compared to the initial hype :)

-TroughFu

pladoh
08-20-2008, 01:05 PM
ya right now im finished ith my swashbot and workin on a bot for the contest that will look similar to wall-e

pladoh
09-16-2008, 05:36 PM
okay i made my project(6 servo wall-e) and i came in second because he was a little bit too much like wall-e so if i can help i would be glad to

crabfu
01-18-2009, 01:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrmzRLgxNTI

Adrenalynn
01-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Awwwww! Too cute!

Of course, just like my dog, as soon as you turn your back it's gonna be gettin' chewed on. ;)

crabfu
01-19-2009, 01:07 AM
Of course, just like my dog, as soon as you turn your back it's gonna be gettin' chewed on. ;)

At this point it's more of an issue with water damage than the actual chewing, but the one I need to keep an eye on is the cat, he is not to be trusted. He loves to bring in and enjoy his dinner in my closet. I'm surprised I haven't found robot parts in there yet.

-Crabfu

darkback2
01-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Crabfu...it is darling...now your wondering if I'm talking about the kid or the bot huh...

crabfu
01-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Crabfu...it is darling...now your wondering if I'm talking about the kid or the bot huh...

or the cameraman lol...

-Crabfu

crabfu
08-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Just an update and more shameless self promotion.... Swashbot made Popular Mechanics Magazine's Backyard Genius Awards (http://crabfuartworks.blogspot.com/2009/08/popular-mechanics-backyard-genius.html), Swashbot 3 made MAKE Magazine, (http://crabfuartworks.blogspot.com/2009/08/make-magazine-bot-state-of-art-swashbot.html) and Putterbot Made Popular Science Magazine (http://crabfuartworks.blogspot.com/2009/07/putterbot-in-popular-science-magazine.html) last month. Whew... so much coverage lately by huge magazines, and none of them were steam powered lol! What an honor, I'm still blown away by it all :)

-Crabfu

gdubb2
08-14-2009, 10:24 AM
WOW.. Big congrats for the coverage..

Gary

crabfu
08-14-2009, 06:25 PM

crabfu
08-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Oh I forgotto mention, Matt Denton's walking router made the bakyard genius awards too! Congrats matt!!